1 (edited by Bee 2012-12-14 23:17:43)

Topic: Teeworlds' Gaming 101

Main Introduction:
The purpose of this page is to equip and enable new players with basic and advanced information about Teeworlds’ gaming, as being a long time player since early 2008's, or 0.3.4. Here, there are illustrations of facts and techniques for different Teeworlds’ gaming elements in fairly simple wordage, underlining the complexities of vanilla gametypes. I won't be talking about modifications ("mods"); they are in their own class and would make this page very lengthy.
Also, much of this page is very technical. If you cannot appreciate mathematical technicalities, skip them. It was only meant to be in addition to the rest of the information and isn’t worth taking the fun out of learning to master the game. smile

Note to advanced players:
Because this page is a work in progress, feel free to critique or not read this at all. If you have any additional, lengthy input that you think should be added into this page, please instant message me so to leave the comment section as clutter free as possible,
    Thanks and enjoy!

Gaming Weapons Intro:

There are 6 weapons (technically 5) in Teeworlds gaming, each adding something unique that the others cannot.

Some key words and symbol definitions are:
Accuracy, is the likelihood of hitting another player with said weapon.
Damage, is the amount of health (shields and or hearts) lost when struck by a weapon or its ammunition.
Impact Range, is the area around a player that the player’s weapon is able to deal damage to enemies.
Tee, is the name of the player's character in the Teeworlds' game (hence: Teeworlds). It is round with rounded hands and feet, moving eyes or facial appearance, and is super-duper cute. :3
Tee Units (tu's), is my made up measurement for identifying in game length and or height. This measurement is the area one tee covers on the ground or against a wall (for length or height, respectively) or (if tu is suared) that it fills up on the screen. Tu^2 is the area all entities (square, map elements) cover in the map editor.
Vanilla, (as a gaming adjective) means classic gaming or in the case of Teeworlds: DM, TDM, and CTF gametypes.

≈ (equals about), ↔ (right or left/horizontally), ↕ (up or down/vertically) , and these [▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯▯▯] represent a rough personal estimate, with each full bar equaling 10%.

The BASIC WEAPONS:
(or the “spawn weapons”)

Are the hammer (also called the mallet) and the pistol (often called the gun) and they both uniquely have unlimited ammunition—meaning players don’t have to grab ammunition reloads on the map.

The HAMMER:

• Deals: 3 damage per strike

• Impact Range: Lowest; ≈ 1 tu

• Firing Rate: Fastest; ≈ 7 swings per second

• Mastering Difficulty: [▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯]

• Uniqueness: It has no ammunition (like, whatsoever), therefore players don’t have to worry about running out… ever! It is really, really fun to smack other players with, especially with teammates on Capture The Flag.

• Comments: Because a player must nearly be up against his enemy to strike, it is commonly the least used weapon in fast paced matches. A solution to the mallet’s extremely small range is for a player to use it while hooking another player towards himself, increasing accuracy. A suggestion is to rapidly swing the mallet while quickly maneuvering from place to place, like from base to base; this can clear the way while also accidentally inflicting damage. Despite the mallet appearing to be pointed either to the left or right, players must aim at their targets in order to actually hit them.

The PISTOL:

• Deals: 1 damage per shot

• Impact Range: Longest; ≈, ↔ 55+ (or more) tu’s—away off the screen

• Firing Rate: Very Fast; ≈ 6.5 shots per second

• Mastering Difficulty: [▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯▯▯]

• Uniqueness: It has automatic reload but its reload is about 5 second from empty to full. I suggest players leave the handgun out during noncombat periods so it can reload to be readily available.

• Comments: Because of its firing rate, it is the second fastest of all the weapons—the hammer being the first. Additionally, it has a high impact range, so it is best used at long distances—during chase scenes or when guarding the base. Because its bullets are small, accuracy is low but it is balanced by its high firing rate. In all, it typically isn't very deadly.

The ADVANCED WEAPONS:
(or the “pickup weapons”)

Are the shotgun (also called the rifle), grenade-launcher (often called the grenade, rocket-launcher and sometimes the bazooka), and the laser sniper (often called the laser or rifle) which all have limited ammunition but deals higher damage than the spawn weapons. To get more ammunition when low or out, a player must find the weapon again on the map or wait for it to spawn—this can take up to 15 seconds. For newbies, I suggest to quickly remember spawn points for quick reload and to always have each weapon stocked in a fast paced match.

The SHOTGUN:

• Deals: at max, 5 damage per shot

• Impact Range: Medium; ≈ 16-20 tu's

• Firing Rate: Fare; ≈ 2.2 shots per second

• Mastering Difficulty: [▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯]

• Uniqueness: For each shot, the shotgun disburses 5 small pellets, yielding fare accuracy and the possibility of plural hits. Likely the shotgun is the most used weapon in close combat.

• Comments: For plural hits, the shotgun yields divided (lower) damage; therefore, for serious damage, use for one on one combat like when guarding the base or kicking some tail. Commonly the shotgun is used by pros in fast paced matches, so I suggest new players quickly learn to skillfully use this weapon. A solution to its medium impact rage is for players to use while hooking opponents close.

The GRENADE-LAUNCHER:

• Deals: at max, 6 damage per hit

• Impact Range: Long; shot at ≈ 50° angle yields ≈, ↔ 23 tu’s

• Firing Rate: Fare; ≈ 2.2 launches per second

• Uniqueness: Its capsule arcs in flight, enabling the most indirect, nonlinear combat, such as behind a wall. The grenade-launcher is the only weapon with an explosion which pushes players if near impact–this explosion is used for quick movement and high jumps (very useful in fast paced games), but this deals damage to yourself (1 to 3 damage per hit) and could kill you so be cautious. It has "splash damage", meaning the grenade-launcher can deal plural damage without divided damage. It can also damage players not directly hit by capsule and damage players through solid ground, both between 1 to 3 tu's long. The grenade-launcher's capsule has the longest airtime of any weapon.

• Comments: Once mastered, it is an excellent weapon for all positions but because of its splash damage, you should not use in close combat; you may accidently kill yourself before your enemy. As mentioned before, players can "jump" higher (G.L. + timed jump ≥ [equals at or less than], ↕ 20 tu’s) and even "rocket climb" up very tall walls, although this is typically useful only in Race or race-like mods. Because of its long airtime, multiple and simultaneous impacts are possible for heavy damage, very high jumps (G.L. + timed jump & extra capsule [a.k.a. the double rocket jump] ≥, ↕ 40 tu’s), or very fast runs of about an increase of 380%; normally it's about a 80-190% increase. It is extensively used for "Advanced Movement", which I will talk about in detail soon in section "Gaming Elements Intro:". The grenade-launcher is an excellent weapon to block or hinder enemies going into entrances and pathways or "shot in the dark"/blind shooting strategies because of its splash damage. These skills are very useful when defending bases or staying within an enemy base, waiting for their flag in CTF. This commonly wastes a lot of ammo, so do sparingly or when a steady supply of ammo is close by.
    And lastly, it’s my favorite weapon… nuff said

The LASER SNIPER:

• Deals: 5 damage per zap

• Impact Range: Long; 25 tu's

• Firing Rate: Slow; ≈ 1.4 shots per second

• Mastering Difficulty: [▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮]

• Uniqueness: Like the name suggests, this weapon is meant for long distances because of its very narrow beam of energy. The sniper’s beam will “bounce” off solid objects, such as collision and unhookable titles, to hit enemies around corners which has no effect on its power to damage or length. The sniper’s beam has no airtime; the shot to impact time is minute to nonexistent.

• Comments: I used to have a love/hate relationship with the sniper when it first came out (I know, I’m dating myself) because it is, in my opinion, the most difficult to use. Because of its narrow beam and, basically, zero airtime it typically has very low accuracy. Also it is a bad choice for close combat. I suggest this for chase senses, like for assassinating the enemy flag carrier, or for defending the base when it’s already cleared. Dynamic camera and sniper make a deadly combination but switching dynam. cam. on and off isn't quick so I only suggest this for players who don't spin often. You could also Hawkeye it on a ledge, snipeing players, them calling you a camper, but that’s generally less productive.

The POWER-UP:
(which officially is not a weapon…)

Is the katana (often called the “ninja sword” or just “sword”).  It can be found on maps, like the advanced weapons, but it has a much longer spawn time (a minute and thirty seconds) and typically has only one spawn point, located towards the middle of the map. Rumor has it of new power-ups for upcoming Teeworlds’ versions but for now, the katana is in its own class of forever-aloneness.

The KATANA:

• Deals: 9 damage per slice

• Impact Range: Medium; ≈, ↔ 19 tu’s or ≈, ↕ 13 tu’s

• Firing Rate: Slowest; ≈ 1.2 slices per second

• Uniqueness: It thrusts the player, quite fast and far, as it slashes through the air. It has the highest damage per impact of all weapons. Unfortunately a player cannot switch weapons until the power-up has worn off—this takes 15 seconds. This makes a player vulnerable. The katana has its own “hicha’s!” and “hiya’s!” sounds only made while using it and has a unique “ninja” skin worn only when wielding it. Players universally know when someone else grabs the katana because of the “shock/worried” eyes formed on all the Tees’ faces, for a brief moment. More recently, because of a loss of momentum problem, developers added a quirk in the katana physics that has all live momentum transferred for smooth flow. As a side effect unnatural, directional (but, oh so awesome) momentum transfers can occur, such as falling way off the map but then flying back to safety.

• Comments: Commonly the katana is avoided by pro’s during serious matches, but I’d beg to differ. It is very powerful and should not be overlooked. The best offence, besides running, if being attached by a ninja holding this sword likely would be the grenade-launcher or sniper—both are long distant and powerful weapons.  If players use the katana, they should be cautious while chasing an enemy for the they may want to often hide behind ground since they cannot switch.
    Additional stats are that with jump + timed 2x jump + slash = player going up around 25 tu’s and about 50+ tu’s given skilled, transferred momentum.

Gaming Elements Intro:

*Under Construction*

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Re: Teeworlds' Gaming 101

I completely disagree with your "mastering difficulties" of the weapons.

The "sniper" as you call it is by far the easiest weapon to control, as it fires a straight super-long-range laser which deals damage instantly with no possible counter-play. The only thing that might require skill is the bounces of the laser, though it's generally 50% of luck when you hit someone after a bounce.

On the other side the shotgun requires way more skill as you need to position yourself perfectly to be as close to your enemy as possible, and generally requires good hooking skills to stick your enemy very close to you.

The hammer requires as much skill as the shotgun, you need to be able to hook your enemy and get him in hammer range every time which is not easy.

The grenade-launcher is a bit more noob-friendly because of the splash damage which allows an inaccurate aim, but is still harder to master than the "sniper" because of the low speed of the grenade (offers a lot of counter-play as it can be dodged in time) and because of the curve of the grenades which prevents you to attack an enemy if he has a dominant position (so,  again more counter-play).

The "pistol" is pretty easy to master but still not as much as the "sniper". If you hit your enemy with one bullet it is very likely that he will try to hide himself or dodge the others bullets. Also you need to take care about the ammo regeneration if you want to use at its max potential.

I have no opinion on katana as i never play with it.

TL;DR: imo mastering difficulty of shotgun/hammer > grenade launcher > gun > rifle

3 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2012-12-13 15:23:43)

Dont think any weapon is more difficult than the other (except hammer, it is useless).

And you should use the official names for the weapons, not your:
Hammer, gun, shotgun, grenade(_launcher), laser

PS: Little mistake:

Bee wrote:

The ADVANCED WEAPONS:
(or the “pickup weapons”)

Are the shotgun (often called the rifle)

Btw I would like some general gameplay hints. (Use grenade launcher to speed up, to block ways, for "shots into the dark" etc.)

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Dont think any weapon is more difficult than the other (except hammer, it is useless).

Useless? No way! Hammer is definitely a go to weapon for me during close combat and it isn't very hard to master if you can aim. If you dont have aim, well then i guess you think the shotgun is pretty useless as well unless you spam it.

5 (edited by Bee 2012-12-13 21:02:44)

choupom wrote:

I completely disagree with your "mastering difficulties" of the weapons...

Well I'm glad we have some analytically thinkers here. wink

Maybe I should have made it clear that these are my own, personal estimations and that I mentally added together the difficulty of mastering said weapon and the overall easiness of killing and damaging other players, which are slightly different concepts. But in the spirit of idea, I will average out some of the estimations given out by good-pro players to make a more accurate idea.

choupom wrote:

The "sniper" as you call it is by far the easiest weapon to control, as it fires a straight super-long-range laser which deals damage instantly with no possible counter-play...

Yes, these are all true but in my experience, maybe because I first used to play on high ping Euro. severs as a USA player, I found I make the most mistakes with the laser because it was so unforgiving. Either I aimed correctly or I didn't, and given its low surface area, instantaneous shot, and my high ping, that happened quite often and it took me awhile to even try mastering it. Even now I sometimes have difficulties with it.

The shotgun does need close range but since it is easier to always hit and damage players, I gave it a lower rating.

The hammer, grenade and pistol, I'll give you those. I averaged it out.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Dont think any weapon is more difficult than the other (except hammer, it is useless)...

The "other" what?

Slayer *gV* wrote:

And you should use the official names for the weapons, not your:
Hammer, gun, shotgun, grenade(_launcher), laser

I thought I did but since I did not, what names did you think are official?

Slayer *gV* wrote:

PS: Little mistake: ...

I didn't see the mistake... could you specify it with its correction?

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Btw I would like some general gameplay hints. (Use grenade launcher to speed up, to block ways, for "shots into the dark" etc.)

There are some gameplay hints and suggestions in the "Uniqueness" and "Comments" section but I can always add more. If you think of anymore, please let me know so I can add it. smile

And as I mentioned before guys, please PM me if you have long input you wanted added into the post.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

The official names are imo the names used in the source code (I wrote them already).

Rifle was the old name used for laser, now it is even in the code "laser".

Bee wrote:
Slayer *gV* wrote:

Dont think any weapon is more difficult than the other (except hammer, it is useless)...

The "other" what?

any other weapon