1 (edited by ghost 2011-06-29 18:54:39)

Topic: Ideas/features for the survival gametype

As some of you might know, I am currently developing a version of the survival gametype based on the teeworlds 0.6 sources. You can find everything on my github repository and you can also find a server hosting the current version. I say gametype and not mod because the point of doing all this is to possibly integrate survival into vanilla.
Dune has posted something about integrating some new gametypes into vanilla here if you want some further information on why this should be done or what is necessary.

And this leads directly to the next point:
What exactly does a gametype, in this case survival, need to become official? I ask you to give me your opinions about which features should be included into survival so it can become an official gametype.
But before posting, please do really consider what you are trying to propose: This is not meant to be another feature-rich mod, that might be nice as a mod, but has no chance of actually becoming official. In fact most of the features should be very basic and should align very well with the features of the other vanilla gametypes (dm, tdm, ctf).

Now I hope to get a lot of productive replies that will help in creating a new wonderful gametype!

Re: Ideas/features for the survival gametype

Survival should:
- follow KISS
- be related to vanilla gametypes (no new weapons etc.)
- follow the idea of survival

What is survival to me?:
- no respawn
- thats all. just no respawn. you should be able to pick up health/armor/weapons too, but no respawn of tees. (a map should be free to support pickups, or not)

Indeed I think the current Survival mod (having 10 of all the weapons except 3 for the rifle if I remember correctly) look teeish enough and is better than the pickup mode where the map would have to be huge to allow the player to get some decent weapons before fight.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

ghost, this is good idea, domination and survival need add to defualt teeworlds mods, wait update ^-^
maybe gCTF add to defualt mods?

Hi ghost, thank you for hosting this wonderful mod again !

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

Skorpion wrote:

ghost, this is good idea, domination and survival need add to defualt teeworlds mods, wait update ^-^
maybe gCTF add to defualt mods?

I highly doubt any instagib mod will be added to the pure gametypes.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Good maps are key (hardest thing to do especially after the competitive map crisis that happened) tongue

maybe minimal health spots that should be controlled by teams

I don't believe spawning with weapons and armor would make SUR viable to be official

Time limit to prevent good solo runners in big maps?

8 (edited by analog 2011-06-30 05:57:21)

Before you call my idea too complicated, please read it.

I think that spawning with weapons and health are important. A solo runner could just run around, collecting hearts + armor, and whatnot. A timelimit is much too simple to break runners, though. What if there is only 1 person left on each team? There should be a type of objective that must be done within the time limit (on top of survival), so that players would not run non stop. I just thought of a simple idea.

RULES

There are three flags in survival maps.

There is a 1 minute timelimit.

The defending team spawns at the center of the map, where the attacking team spawns on the left (or right).

There are 5 rounds.

OBJECTIVES

A timelimit is much too simple to break runners, though. What if there is only 1 person left on each team? There should be a type of objective that must be done within the time limit (on top of survival), so that players would not run non stop.

Basically, the attacking team needs to capture those three flags (like domination, just stand on them for 3 seconds).

If the attacking team manages to capture all flags, they win the round. They must capture those flags within the timelimit.

The defending team only needs to ensure that the positions are safe.

If an entire team is eliminated, the surviving team wins the round.

finally...

basically, one team must capture 3 flags by standing on them for 3 seconds, where the other team has to defend those flags. there is a 1 minute timelimit.

i hope you consider this idea. i think it would be fun in teeworlds big_smile

Could be good as a mod, but you're kind of forgetting we are speaking about an official gameplay. This is way too complex, we would like some survival like it already exists, with no more modification than no respawning a joining queue, and maybe some initial pickups.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

When I asked you to tell me your ideas about possible features, I wanted you to dig in a bit further, too.
For example, how should the client behave when you die? Will you have freeview, or will your camera be static, or should you be able to follow players, maybe only your team mates?
These are for example things I am still unsure about.
The survival gametype in it's core will not be altered that much, which means I won't really consider ideas like alias' one, because they are way to complex (Slayer *gV* was right about complying to KISS).

ghost wrote:

When I asked you to tell me your ideas about possible features, I wanted you to dig in a bit further, too.
For example, how should the client behave when you die? Will you have freeview, or will your camera be static, or should you be able to follow players, maybe only your team mates?
These are for example things I am still unsure about.
The survival gametype in it's core will not be altered that much, which means I won't really consider ideas like alias' one, because they are way to complex (Slayer *gV* was right about complying to KISS).

This should definitely be implemented in symbiosis with the client. There should be some visual stuff to see wheneevr you are in a queue, in which team, etc. Once you've died I think you should have all the spectator mode options.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

alias: Your idea is good, but you have to know, that standard gametypes should be playable with less players. (at least, I think so)

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

wapps.warpaint. wrote:

alias: Your idea is good, but you have to know, that standard gametypes should be playable with less players. (at least, I think so)

You can play survival with 2 players, like in every DM or CTF game.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

alias wrote:

basically, one team must capture 3 flags by standing on them for 3 seconds, where the other team has to defend those flags. there is a 1 minute timelimit.

have fun running around alone. my post corresponded to alias' idea.

To be honest, aliases idea is basically DOM which I support to be an official mod but this is SUR right?

16 (edited by analog 2011-07-01 05:08:49)

It's basically like DOM, but once you get all 3 positions, you win the round. The SUR part comes in because once a team is killed, the survivors win.

wapps.warpaint. wrote:
alias wrote:

have fun running around alone. my post corresponded to alias' idea.

Not only running around alone, because you can also kill people smile

But you can hardly defend 3 bases alone!?

Once you add a DOM idea, its a branch of DOM gametype.

Like adding SUR style respawn to CTF style flags makes it a different type of CTF.

It's not that hard to defend 3 bases, if you can kill people. Because if the other team captures 2 of the bases, there will only be one more base to defend.

20 (edited by Broken 2011-10-03 21:40:18)

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Survival should:
- follow KISS
- be related to vanilla gametypes (no new weapons etc.)
- follow the idea of survival

What is survival to me?:
- no respawn
- thats all. just no respawn. you should be able to pick up health/armor/weapons too, but no respawn of tees. (a map should be free to support pickups, or not)

This is right on. I *so* wish this mod had a server somewhere, it's got terrific gameplay and should be a vanilla gametype, along with team survival. Can anyone that knows how to compile send me a server.exe for windows.