1 (edited by thepro 2011-04-10 00:42:15)

Topic: [Discussion] New Maps in 0.6.0

With this topic I would like to open a discussion about the new 0.6.0 teeworlds maps.

In my oppinion, the new ctf2 map and the new ctf4 map are not as good as the old one.

But first of all, let's talk about ctf2:

The old ctf2 map was kept as simple as possiple. In the new version of the ctf2 map, the desing is just too much. What I am trying to say is that the scatches on the map are irritating and the longer middle part of it changed the movement of it quite a lot. I think the old map was a lot better, from the gameplay side of view and of the design side.

Now to ctf4:

Ctf4 was one of the most played maps in teeworlds, so why should it be taken out of the standart maps? The new ctf4 is completely different compared to the old one. It is not based on the old ctf4, wich is why I think it should be called ctf8 and not ctf4. I know the devs don't really care about instagib, but ctf4 is, will always be, and was the mostly played instagib map. I am asking you to call the 0.6.0 ctf4 map ctf8 and call the old map back to ctf4. The new map is just bad, and it is not playable for static cam players to have a chance against those with a dynamic cam. Please change it back !

Now in general:

When I open up Teeworlds 0.6.0 and I  join to a new server with a new map, I start to think: 'Am I in a graphics showroom?' The answer to this is obviously no, but I am straight away starting to feel and think that! - This is not good. The graphics are to irritating, as said!

Teeworlds:

The 0.6.0 release is great but please give Teeworlds the old standard maps back !

With kind regards,
The Pro ''

2 (edited by Var [TNB] 2011-04-10 00:37:53)

Re: [Discussion] New Maps in 0.6.0

The reason why ctf4 and ctf5 was removed is simple: ctf4 was palyed just instagib, it wasn't played as vanilla map, and teeworlds developers do not support mods. Later on ctf5 was not good enough to stay an official map. Yes, it was popular, but lost or pirates were popular too, which doesn't mean those maps are good.
You can feel free playing those maps as a custom ones.
Graphic side is ok, i don't get why you feel that they're bad.
And ctf2 is ideally balanced map that needs no rework until some new weapons are added.

Stay wild big_smile

yes, ctf2 needs no edits but it was edited! have a look at it it.

We want our old ctf4 back!
If you can't play vanilla "oop your fail" but this new ctf4 map is fucking bad and ugly!
If you want to join a server with the old map, you can't "Invalid standart map" change th name of this bad map!

yea name the new ctf4 to ctf8 and leave the old ctf4

hmmm... i don't really mind the ctf2 issue, but the ctf4 one..

i think the platforms are a bit malnourished, and skinny (too many bumps+crevices), but it's no reason for it to leave. perhaps this can be settled by a vote, or something. and a contest smile

but ctf4 is okay, it's not a terrible issue, you instagibbers can just keep playing the old ctf4--just convert it into these new tiles and then use it as a custom map.

7 (edited by thepro 2011-04-10 01:01:07)

But noone will play it if it is a custom map. Even If i try to play it - Inalid standart map is what teeworlds says

chi1 said he wanted to convert the old ctf4 map and release it then.
And actually i never really liked old ctf4 in vanilla so i'm not that disappointed like some of you guys.
I can't judge the new one yet due to lacking experience.

But I, like many othrer Teeworlds players would like it to be offizial. I have already converted it mysql.

Good evening Teeworlds Guys,
the reason why i'll write my oppinion in here is simple to explain. I downloaded the new 0.6 version and was disappointed , because ctf4 wasn't anymore. So The Pro showed me the thread and i'd like to get my mind a bit closer to you. Well, i played the

11 (edited by ghost 2011-04-10 02:51:39)

The people who would like the old ctf4 to be official are mostly instagib players (are you one of them, or do you want it for vanilla? I'm just curious you know wink). As stated a million of times, we do not care about mods. This is about vanilla teeworlds and in vanilla teeworlds the old ctf4 is a map that is both not accepted by the community and just not good in terms of playability. The most map creators agree that it is just too narrow and other things for vanilla teeworlds. This is the reason why it got removed, and why this is the correct decision for vanilla teeworlds.

About ctf2:
I disagree with you on the thing with the scratches.

To the people who downvoted the first post:

Remember, downvoting is not for showing your disagreement with what is stated. It is for marking posts that are just bad. His post is not bad in any way. Maybe he has an opinion that you find is not correct or good, but it's still only his opinion. Don't downvote just because you have a different opinion!

All in all the ctf2 looks bad, who made this comic tiles? oO

That ctf4 got removed with the reason, that it isn't very vanilla active is a bad reason,
the new ctf4 could be named ctf8 and everyone is happy.

But to replaye the map with this _________ map, won't get vanilla active on ctf4.

It's crap, change it. -.- Dev-Build 71 was best.

13 (edited by ghost 2011-04-10 03:33:20)

J@nTeek!ller wrote:

All in all the ctf2 looks bad, who made this comic tiles? oO
But to replaye the map with this _________ map, won't get vanilla active on ctf4.
It's crap, change it.

The new graphics were mostly made by Landil, as far as I know. Many of them were previewed a long time ago on teePlanet. If you had had any interest you could have looked at them before the release and you could have commented on them.

What exactly is so bad about the new ctf4 map? Have you even tried playing it? If not then do it before you write such things. If yes, what do you dislike about it? Just telling that it's a shitty map doesn't help anything.

The new CTF4 map is actually VERY fun. People need to stop looking at maps with negative feelings already in mind and just accept the changes and play the maps. After a while you should find that it is a well made and balanced map. Every change in maps in 0.6 looks great and are very balanced maps. ctf4 is a really bad map for vanilla and that is what teeworlds is made for. If you still want ctf4 then make it a custom map. ctf4 doesnt deserve to be official. Thank you devs for making a new and amazing teeworlds big_smile

-SALAD

here is an analogy...

people didn't like ctf5 because: it was when death tiles were introduced, and

16 (edited by thepro 2011-04-10 09:49:51)

But you cant't call the new ctf4 ctf4. It is a completely diffarent map. Leave the old ctf4 out as a standart map but at least call the new one ctf8. What would be even  better, is if you add the old ctf4 again for the 0.6.1 release!

Taking ctf4 out of Teeworlds is like taking out the laser of the game. Devs say they don't want the instagib community to get angry so they are leaving the laser in the game. But ctf4 was the best map - great movement maybe narrow but exacly that was so challenging on the map !

I have played this map for 3 years now and now all my expirience on this map should be gone? It is like taking ctf2 out of Teeworlds imagin that !

now back to the scratches on ctf2. Maybe Teeworlds could make them high detail or something to switch thos things of because I am playing without highdetail to focus on the opponents and to not see any irretating grafics.

I think its better to keep the old and the new maps, but not as 'ctf4_old' or kind of.
Please dont replace the known map, just create ctf7, ctf8, ctf9 and so on...
I dont understand the problem, if one of 9 maps is only playable in instagib

ctf4 was not the most popular map and it was not the best map. We analyzed plain vanilla servers and the result was that we did not see any player on a plain vanilla sever hosting this map for ages. As it has already been stated above, the vanilla community did not like and used it and thus we replaced it with a new map. I am sorry you miss the map so much, but we cannot keep maps just because of one teeworlds mod who uses this map. Otherwise we won't be able ever again to remove anything from teeworlds. There are so many mods and everyone uses an official map or graphic. But teeworlds needs to develop. If you do not like the way we are progressing join #teeworlds and help us developing teeworlds. Besides, if you are so fancy about this map, just remap it for 0.6 or embed the old tilesets and name it ctf4_old.

Concerning the graphics. This is the first time I hear people mourning about the winter graphic changes (and the rework process did start long long time ago). The whole rework idea was initiated by the fact that - except ctf2 - most of the played maps used the grass tileset and the jungle tileset. Desert and winter tileset were not common.

The ctf2 changes: Apparently we changed two parts of ctf2. (1) It's symmetrical now. The left and right base were slightly different. I guess most of you did not even notice this. (2) It got one new tile in the middle. It's true this might change the game play and movement feeling, but it's fairer now: the ninja powerup is placed exactly in the middle. Thus we did have to change it.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

ctf2 graphics look just so awesome, so cute... Landil did a huge work redisgning it, I don't see where is the problem. The map isn't overdetailled, and if you feel so, disable High Detail.
I pretty like the new ctf4, and to instagibbers: go play ctf2 :)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

20 (edited by thepro 2011-04-10 11:14:21)

I feel overdetailed because od the scratches and I always play without high detail ^^

Ladnil: Why did you call the new ctf4 ctf4? It has nothing to do with ctf4 its a completely new map so you should cal it ctf8 and leave it out like the dm maps. There is no dm3,4,5 so there shouldn't be a ctf4

Anyway it's too late.

anyway change it in 0.6.1 it is never to late mate

It is too late. Standard maps can only be changed with incompatible releases.

I dont get your problem about ctf4. New players with checked filters wont see instagib servers anyway, wether it is a standard map or not, so you can rename the map. It doesnt have to stay as standard map.

The new graphics are just awesome and i would like to see ctf1 redisigned too. And as mentioned before, if you cant go on with cute looking maps, just disable high details.

thepro wrote:

I dont understand the problem, if one of 9 maps is only playable in instagib

Its Teeworlds, not instagibworlds.

thepro wrote:

There is no dm3,4,5 so there shouldn't be a ctf4

Ctf4 was replaced, dm3, dm4, dm5 were removed. New dm maps could be names dm3.

thepro wrote:

I feel overdetailed because od the scratches and I always play without high detail ^^

Ladnil: Why did you call the new ctf4 ctf4? It has nothing to do with ctf4 its a completely new map so you should cal it ctf8 and leave it out like the dm maps. There is no dm3,4,5 so there shouldn't be a ctf4

It *replaced* ctf4 because it's a map with the same tileset, the same size and with balancing similar to the old ctf4. I'm a little saddened that it wasn't mentioned well enough in the news post, but the old ctf4 is currently being reworked into the new tileset and will be released to the community as an instagib map, under a different name, very soon.

As the version number of Teeworlds shows, we're still not up to a 1.0 release, which means that incompabilities and big changes will happen in new releases. The old ctf4 map was completely made by me, so it was not the easiest decision to take, but it was not a map that delivered as a vanilla map, and is thus better suited as a community map. As previously stated, watch these forums, as the old ctf4 will soon be released with a graphics overhaul. smile

heinrich5991 wrote:

It is too late. Standard maps can only be changed with incompatible releases.

Not true, but major overhauls or replacements are only changed with major releases.

Also, I'd love to see good discussion about the new maps (ctf4, ctf6 and ctf7) and the edits of some other maps (especially dm6 and dm8). Hotfixes to bugs and imbalances are possible to fix in point releases if brought up in good manners and discussion.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites