1 (edited by jxsl13 2019-05-25 14:12:20)

Topic: [Poll]Would you like to be able to disable chat sounds: Vote here!

As I found normal chat sounds of the Teeworlds 0.7.3 vanilla client quite annoying,
I proposed a feature to customize whether some specific message creates a chat sound or not.

Possibilities:
Currently there are multiple messages that create a sound:
- normal chat messages
- server messages(player enters a game, leaves the game etc)
- messages that contain your nickname
- whispered messages
- client side messages(specifically when you add someone as friend via /friend <nickname>)(super special case)(*)

The main developers of Vanilla Teeworlds would like to know, whether there is a demand for such a feature to disable/enable some or all chat messages.

Basic questions to answer would be
- what customization would be needed
- whether it is needed or wanted at all
- how customizable would that configuration need to be(toggle any available sound separatly vs. have some predefined states(please discuss if you want))
- Is there any demand to use these features(would you use any of them)

Current state:

1. the feature to toggle sounds by some predefined states states exists:
0=no client messages create a sound effect
1=whisper only creates a sound effect
2=if your nickname is tagged, a sound effect is created
3=whisper or nickname tagged
4=whisper, nickname tagged & server msg
5=whisper, nickname tagged, server msg & clientside messages(adding players as friends via /friend <..>)
6=all chat messages create a chat sound

2. the feature to toggle any sound exists:
The feature works like this:
you have a bitstring containing either 0s or 1s that are used like this:

cl_chatsound "11111"

Let's say every 1 in that command corresponds to one possible chat sound that can be toggled, thus we would get 5 possible levers to change the on(=1)/off(=0) state of a specific sound.

1:whisper message (most left bit)
2:nickname tagged
3:server message
4:chat message
5:client message(special case) (most right bit)

e.g. if you, like myself, find general chat sounds for every chat message annoying as well as server message sounds, you would want to disable those two sounds and use that command as follows:

cl_chatsound "11001"
1. bit(from left): whisper:   1 ->on
2. bit: nickname tagged:    1 ->on
3. bit: server messages:     0 -> off
4. bit: any chat message:   0 -> off
5. bit: client side message: 1 -> on

Why the poll?
The features exists, but not in the Vanilla Client, yet.
So in order to add a specific variant, we would like to know, what specific chat sound you would like to be able to toggle(disable & enable).

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

Re: [Poll]Would you like to be able to disable chat sounds: Vote here!

3 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2019-05-27 18:37:59)

jsxl13 wrote:

cl_chatsound "11001"
1. bit(from left): whisper:   1 ->on
2. bit: nickname tagged:    1 ->on
3. bit: server messages:     0 -> off
4. bit: any chat message:   0 -> off
5. bit: client side message: 1 -> on

Just a little reminder: we are currently in year 2019. Please don't bother me with bit-wised settings. The majority has 8 GB of RAM available. Oh and I am fully aware that doing it this way wasn't your suggestion.

Putting that aside. I really launched Teeworlds just to check, if normal chat-messages really do sounds. Got kinda used to it. Probably another discussion, but that should be turned off in favor for important messages, aka. whisper/nickname msgs. If everything does sounds, nothing does.

EDIT: Btw I don't know any game that does sounds for public chat messages. Although that might depend on personal preferences.

bump.

Slayer, this is 2019 and if you look closely it's not a "real" bitfield. It's a string (go to the hell, you memory) of 0 or 1 characters, which is quite convinient since in the UI it would be implemented with a bunch of tick boxes but in the console you have a single command instead of 6 different ones

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

6 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2019-05-30 12:47:59)

Ok, let us dive deeper into this.

Prior to the poll, jxsl13 explains Oy idea to implement toggle-able chat sounds. I get strongly biased to assume that this would be the way to use it. And I can assure you, really no non-software-hacker would like to do it this way.

Now you tell me about some advanced UI checkboxes and stuff, that wasn't mentioned in first place. Why would you tell me both, a convenience UI realization and internal stuff with bits and stuff I shouldn't care in first place?

I can only assume that you made up the UI checkboxes and there is no real decision about it, yet. If that's the case, then please drop the bit-hacking and just provide few easy to remember, named settings, e. g. cl_sound_chat_public [0, 1] etc.

pls write my nick correctly xD

jxsl13 wrote:

pls write my nick correctly xD

Sorry, fixed. Just PM next time.

"The features exists, but not in the Vanilla Client" what client is that so that i might get a feel for how it works?

As mentioned in the PR(https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/pull/2140) one can Modify the Sounds files in data > audio to suit their needs, don't like the "normal chat messages" sound? just rename it to [c]sfx_msg-client DISABLED.wv[/c]. so what even solution you come up with it should be easier then that.

10 (edited by jxsl13 2019-05-31 21:08:11)

As written above, it's two to three variants of f1 console commands.
1. A f1 console command for each possible chat sound like cl_chatsound_chat 1/0 etc.
2. One single command that has some prederined states, like you hear only whisper & nickname mentioned sounds ( states 0 through 6)
3. One compact command to have less commands clutter the f1 auto completion that works as described above with the 'bit pattern' character string. It's compact, as you would change these settings most likely only once and keep them anyway.

In order to test the latest 'bit string'-variant version, you would need to compile a teeworlds executable from the source code here: https://github.com/jxsl13/zcatch/tree/chatsounds

If you want to test previous versions with a different way of handling this, you would need to "checkout" a previous revision of the source code using "git" or a visual git client like the one of GitHub.com and compile that specific revision of the source code.