Re: 0.7 beta released!

I would personally remove the spikes from CTF5 again. Overall everyone I have talked to are just sad about this.
Also you could always just spam nades at the ground to hurt the player easily anyways.

But that's not so important: 0.7.0 should have an official download on the normal download page and an update for Steam! There are currently almost no players playing, since not everyone is able to find the download on github or so.

Just saying, as I and others are afraid the game could be killed somehow.

Lots of love!

27 (edited by Ryozuki 2018-10-19 23:44:06)

I personally find that 0.7 is a complete disaster rushed release. Why u made the skins ugly? they were good as it was.
You should learn from ddnet, add opengl 3.3 support, 64p, the new text rendering engine, etc. Menus aren't even antialiased.

You are still in time that 0.7 didnt appear on frontpage to postpone the release one or two years more.

28 (edited by lucid.dreaming 2018-10-19 23:46:55)

I agree with Rich3yy.

0.7.0 must be in the download section and on steam as well.

I have a perception of DDNet preventing 0.7.0 success, because they need to port DDNet to 0.7.0 and their programmers are lazy or don't have time.

Just my honest opinion...

lucid.dreaming wrote:

I agree with Rich3yy.

0.7.0 must be in the download section and on steam as well.

I have a perception of DDNet preventing 0.7.0 success, because they need to port DDNet to 0.7.0 and their programmer are lazy or don't have time.

Just my honest opinion...

Teeworlds should port to ddnet, ddnet is the future and teeworlds should learn from it. There is nothing to port, the only good thing about 0.7 is the animation on hovering, rest looks uglier.

0.7 is preventing the success of 0.7, not DDNet

31 (edited by lucid.dreaming 2018-10-19 23:58:43)

Ryozuki and Jao, DDNet depends on Teeworlds.

Teeworlds needs a new network protocol urgently to fix most security bugs.

That would break compatibility with 0.6.x, and that is not convenient for DDNet because DDNet depends on Teeworlds 0.6.x.

Then yes, that is not convenient for all DDNet developers......

32 (edited by Ryozuki 2018-10-20 00:23:03)

lucid.dreaming wrote:

Ryozuki and Jao, DDNet depends on Teeworlds.

Teeworlds needs a new network protocol urgently to fix most security bugs.

That would break compatibility with 0.6.x, and that is not convenient for DDNet because DDNet depends on Teeworlds 0.6.x.

Then yes, that is not convenient for all DDNet developers......

You don't know what u are talking about.
DDNet has the playerbase, ddnet wouldn't care less about porting to 0.7 more when it looks so crapy

Teeworlds for ddnet is like carrying a arm that is completly rotten and should be cut off, ddnet should become standalone.

@Ryozuki:

DDNet's codebase is completely garbage. Calling DDNet the better Teeworlds is absolutely stupid.

34 (edited by Ryozuki 2018-10-20 00:53:00)

Stitch626 wrote:

@Ryozuki:

DDNet's codebase is completely garbage. Calling DDNet the better Teeworlds is absolutely stupid.

rofl

Edit:
DDNet is better than Teeworlds

35 (edited by Stitch626 2018-10-20 03:11:41)

I'm not alone with my opinion, but k. Just go and keep being a fanboy big_smile

Edit: stop being a yerk, this is a news-topic, so stop doing offtopic....

36 (edited by Pathos 2018-10-20 16:39:13)

Disastrous

Not even compatible -- implications of this are just absolute insanity

Even worse that the security issues aren't even fixed. So hooray for 0.8 when the next guy comes exploiting stuff (if we eventually move)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Pathos wrote:

Not even compatible -- implications of this are just absolute insanity

Compatible? Different minor versions of Teeworlds have never been compatible. That's the whole point.

Schwertspize wrote:

Even worse that the security issues aren't even fixed. So hooray for 0.8 when the next guy comes exploiting stuff (if we eventually move)

Since you seem to have pinpointed security issues, maybe you could submit a pull request and we'd jump fast to 0.8 with these issues fixed.

In general 0.7 has several issues and bugs, but I suppose the only way to get development going was to release it.

Au contrair. Releasing such an unfinished piece of work rather turns people off than rushes them to do good work. And having a second release so soon isn't making it better either.

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Schwertspize wrote:

Au contrair. Releasing such an unfinished piece of work rather turns people off than rushes them to do good work. And having a second release so soon isn't making it better either.

The idea is to get releases going faster if possible. You see only one piece of the picture. TW development has been stalled for years. There is at least a bit of motivation for fixing things now. I suggest to those who are not happy with the situation to submit pull requests and fix their pet peeves.

There are outstanding issues in 0.7.0 (mostly semi-broken server list) that have been fixed in the repository and a 0.7.1 version will be released shortly.

Any plans for a macOS release yet?

Unfortunately I can't compile it myself.

I agree with Magnet and think it is a good idea to put out a new version despite of some issues. You know, fixing things is certainly not the most fun task and seeing the success of finally releasing a new version can really motivate you to do that stuff. I'm happy to hear there are already things being fixed and an update might not be too far away.

It's not like with big publishers were we are paying for a game and still a buggy piece of software gets thrown on the market in many cases. It's a free game, and if the devs believe a release can push them, that's a good thing and their right to do.

I see why this might be an issue, and it still could go be regarded as a "bad release practice", but I think, in this case, getting the development going is the greater good.

And after all, as of now, there is no pre-compiled version uploaded anyway, so I don't see much of an issue of turning new people away from the game. smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Magnet wrote:

There is at least a bit of motivation for fixing things now.

Well if that means that you, the devs are already burned out of Teeworlds, thanks for at least showing some care. sad
Please use this new release to help new players to start playing so teeworlds the game can be great again. All the new players see are skilled players and give up like after started playing.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo wrote:
Magnet wrote:

There is at least a bit of motivation for fixing things now.

Well if that means that you, the devs are already burned out of Teeworlds, thanks for at least showing some care. sad
Please use this new release to help new players to start playing so teeworlds the game can be great again. All the new players see are skilled players and give up like after started playing.

I would have fun helping newer players to learn the game.
However, that wouldn't be enough, as the game itself has a high skill ceiling and new players are often being demolished, they will never like that.

I always thought about that, but I guess it could actually help Teeworlds: An Elo system with alot of servers (by default) for CTF, DM etc. It could either be used for something like a matchmaking system (like in some MOBA games or like in CS:GO) OR there could be a shuffle system which will make EVEN teams, since that is also a big problem sometimes.
For example: Average skill from team red is 1500 and the average skill from team blue is 1450 and not something like 3000 against 800. I got that idea from the game "Natural Selection 2", and there it at least makes even teams, because without it teams are uneven af. This could be combined with a leveling system which uses ranked servers (only ranked as there are no certain mods which could manipulate the system/ like in NS2) in order to put a new player into a certain skill group (the value must fluctuate at first, after a time it would only go down/up slowly).

This might sound like a hard to achieve change, but maybe it can save the game or make it more fair somehow?

By the way, I think people are overreacting about 0.7 being bad or so. I actually believe it's actually that there hasn't been a new update since 8 years or so and now people are freaking out about CHANGES. They always do, but they will adapt and forget they ever happen as soon as the game is finally ACTUALLY public. Examples are: YouTube (the Google+ change), CS:GO (several meta changes) or whatever.

Rich3yy wrote:

By the way, I think people are overreacting about 0.7 being bad or so. I actually believe it's actually that there hasn't been a new update since 8 years or so and now people are freaking out about CHANGES. They always do, but they will adapt and forget they ever happen as soon as the game is finally ACTUALLY public. Examples are: YouTube (the Google+ change), CS:GO (several meta changes) or whatever.

Yes, they do. But there are a couple of legitimate bugs in there. That can't just be brushed away by saying "people dislike change".

I still personally consider the naming scheme of the elimination modes to be a mistake - just call it "elimination" or EL. Then team elimination is TEL. It's a lot more consistent than the current lms/sur naming scheme - I for one have no recollection of which one of those is a team mode and which one isn't. I would really like to see this changed.

Anyway, aside from that - I have a number of issues with the menu system, as it feels clunkier than the old one. For one thing, the background makes it extremely hard to read the menu (remember those early websites with tiling GIF animations as their backgrounds, with colored text directly on top?). This part absolutely needs fixing, as it is not friendly to anyone with vision problems. Additionally, the resolution picker is not as easy to use anymore with the new 'click over and over until you get the correct aspect ratio' system.

I'll probably have more input to come in the future as I look over the new version, but I'll be better able to make comments once I can actually see the menus in the first place.

I've got two FNG maps which are close to ready for public release, hopefully they'll be on the forums soon! Aforementioned maps are on the back burner. Still doing mapping, but have higher priority map projects.
It should never take 45 seconds to download a map for anyone with a decent connection.

Deku / mint-pi wrote:

Anyway, aside from that - I have a number of issues with the menu system, as it feels clunkier than the old one. For one thing, the background makes it extremely hard to read the menu (remember those early websites with tiling GIF animations as their backgrounds, with colored text directly on top?). This part absolutely needs fixing, as it is not friendly to anyone with vision problems.

I'll probably have more input to come in the future as I look over the new version, but I'll be better able to make comments once I can actually see the menus in the first place.

This command to type in F1

cl_menu_map ""

will do you wonders, although we should have an option somewhere in the menusprobably, and in general improve it.

Deku / mint-pi wrote:

Additionally, the resolution picker is not as easy to use anymore with the new 'click over and over until you get the correct aspect ratio' system.

That was fixed 14 hours ago :)
https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/pull/1555

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Deku / mint-pi wrote:

I still personally consider the naming scheme of the elimination modes to be a mistake - just call it "elimination" or EL. Then team elimination is TEL. It's a lot more consistent than the current lms/sur naming scheme - I for one have no recollection of which one of those is a team mode and which one isn't. I would really like to see this changed.

Call it Battle Royale - problem solved. Maybe steal some Fortnite players in process.

Deku / mint-pi wrote:

Issue #1562

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Hurray! maybe we can give tw some momentum again see you on GitHub boys smile