1 (edited by unsigned char* 2017-04-10 12:01:07)

Topic: [CLIENT] Teeworlds (SFML Edition)

Hi! i'm doing a "port" to SFML (Simple & Fast Multimedia Library)... is easy, is funny... is fast. More news soon!

"unsigned char*" is back baby! wink

Re: [CLIENT] Teeworlds (SFML Edition)

It's funny... if you have gotten into teeworlds (development) once, it will never let you go again big_smile

what is this? is like java?

Is this for screenshots? Because there seriously needs to be some kind of a screenshot viewer like a demo viewer.

Hi! this client is a revamped Teeworlds 0.7 using SFML instead SDL... 100% POO ...

"... it's possible to use only SFML for 2D rendering, there's no need for mixing with OpenGL like with SDL. SFML is a truly usable 2D API, it's not just there for prototyping."

easy coding = easy maintenance wink

why 0.7?

I will be banned if I troll again ...

I like advance in teeworlds... need difference my client from others like DDNet. Teeworlds 0.7 skins, network fixes, security improvements... etc... is an 0.6.x/0.7 client... but breaks with 0.6.x protocol.

Nice big_smile
Give me a message @ github somehow or email (see github) if you need a mac os x tester!

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

SFML does not support Android, boo.
Android port of TeeWorlds is a failure anyway, so good job.

hey unsigned char* why is your github account down?

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

@pelya: Currently can compile SFML for android but is a "WIP" (Work in Progress) feature... not uses the latest OpenGL ES version. hmm
https://github.com/SFML/SFML/tree/master/examples

@jxsl13: Thx! I renamed my github account... now is https://github.com/Tardo.

Cheers!

12 (edited by unsigned char* 2017-04-12 18:47:57)

I want to use LZO for packets compression... instead only Huffman... this will break with all hmm
http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/

Bad decision? Best be compatible? Packets compression is one stuff not touched since years and years...

Considering that you'll be sending very small pieces of data very often, compressing them will achieve nothing, and will just increase CPU usage.
You need at least 500 bytes per packet to see any benefit in compressing it.

@pelya: Thanks for the clarification. On the other hand i see that the current frequency table used can be improved a bit... this again will break with all...

best be compatible or improve it?

15 (edited by Neox 2017-07-15 15:11:06)

I know a lot about SFML (in fact, we worked on it the whole year at school).
But imo SDL is way better than SFML, I don't really know why you wanna recode it with that.

I was thinking about doing the same with Unity, but it would be too much work and I don't know exactly how teeworlds works (and I don't think that I have enough coding skills).

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

16 (edited by unsigned char* 2017-07-16 17:54:46)

Neox wrote:

I know a lot about SFML (in fact, we worked on it the whole year at school).
But imo SDL is way better than SFML, I don't really know why you wanna recode it with that.

I was thinking about doing the same with Unity, but it would be too much work and I don't know exactly how teeworlds works (and I don't think that I have enough coding skills).

I explain why... but in your equation you only consider the performance... teeworlds doesn't need more for work good.

A list of games in Steam made with SFML: https://gist.github.com/eXpl0it3r/c3436 … 0f34db825e

17 (edited by CarmineZ 2017-11-20 21:41:13)

at what point is this project? maybe (I hope) with SFML the client will have a better render performances than now with SDL... What do you think about irrlicht-1.8.4?

The Irrlicht Engine is an open source high performance realtime 3D engine written in C++. It is completely cross-platform, using D3D, OpenGL and its own software renderers, and has all of the state-of-the-art features which can be found in commercial 3d engines. We've got a huge active community, and there are lots of projects in development that use the engine. You can find enhancements for Irrlicht all over the web, like alternative terrain renderers, portal renderers, exporters, world layers, tutorials, editors, language bindings for java, perl, ruby, basic, python, lua, and so on. And best of all: It's completely free.

Is a library used also for Minetest, and work very well IMHO, can use also for 2D games

Something is coming... isn't 'pure' teeworlds... but is based on DDRace idea... https://youtu.be/bKs6GxVQVQI

Looks funny, but looks more like anything else than Teeworlds.

Rich3yy wrote:

Looks funny, but looks more like anything else than Teeworlds.

Yes, perhaps can consider it like a spam... any moderator is free to remove/edit my comment.
My intention is to publicize the project. Yes I don't use the engine of teeworlds, but is based on the idea of a well-known mod "DDRace", in its "race" aspect. The game I am developing uses small parts of the Teeworlds code ... this game is more teeworlds than it appears ... in other words, without teeworlds it would not exist.

P.S: I will not show anything of this game in this forum. Excuse me.

Cheers!

great! SFML seems a good library... on which engine are you based for this game?

I personally have no problem with this game being posted here. smile

Ummm ok wink if exists any problem, please... stop me!

@Rich3vy Ok! wink

@CarmineZ It's a custom engine using: SFML (Render) + BOX2D (Physics) + Tiled [TMX] (Mapping) and ECS pattern

Current Dev Status: https://youtu.be/pbriuNaec3c

what do you think about to develop a game for VR cardboard?

Sounds interesting but only if other person do the 3D art xDDD ... In general i don't like do stuff in 3D for this reason. I prefer waste my free time in other stuff like learn good skills for programming better tongue