The current input system actually *can* take full Unicode input (including CJK), but the method that is used to do so will influence whether it actually succeeds in getting the character into the game. I don't know if the methods typically available to Chinese/Japanese/Korean players work, but a re-mapping/auto-replace script can help to some extent.
This was done with DDNet Client, but I tried it on the vanilla client and it works there too. Both tests done on Windows because that's the operating system I'm stuck with.
I've got two FNG maps which are close to ready for public release, hopefully they'll be on the forums soon! Aforementioned maps are on the back burner. Still doing mapping, but have higher priority map projects.
It should never take 45 seconds to download a map for anyone with a decent connection.