Topic: New forum software?

Hello to all you tees out there,

we're currently thinking about moving this forum to the new Discourse platform (for the reference, we're currently using PunBB). One of the main factors why we're considering this is that the current system has aweful moderation tools.

minus has set up a test instance of the forum at http://selene.mnus.de/, feel free to poke around a bit and test it.

We'd be happy to receive some feedback about what you think regarding such a migration.

PS: Of course we'll make sure that the old forum content won't be gone, be it via continuing to run this forum read-only or by migrating all the data to the new software.

Test instance of Discourse smile

Re: New forum software?

Why no Woltlab Burning Board?!

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Why no XenForo? I like PunBB more than Discourse...

I personally like this system a lot more than that one...
And lets not even talk about Invision Power's IP.Board.

This system is really clean and simple to use. No huge boxes, easy to read design...

And this community is small and easy to control anyway. Well. Whatever. Feel free to change it sad

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Deepfinder wrote:

Why no Woltlab Burning Board?!

Matodor wrote:

Why no XenForo? I like PunBB more than Discourse...

I personally like Discourse better, its design is simplistic, and it explores some new directions for forums.

Additionally both are closed source, so no ability of hacking around there.

But you're both just naming things, not why you like them better. So.. can you tell me what you think is better about your proposals? smile

Are there any benefits with Discourse apart from moderation tools, especially any that enrich the user experience? smile
Like video embedding or spoiler tags.
I have to say, I have grown accustomed to this environment here, but I'm sure with a nice theme a new platform will work just as good. Just make sure the transition does not create barriers for the user, or at least keep them to a minimum.

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I prefer the current one.

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

I am very conservative and as this one here is working, I don't see any reason to change.
Furthermore this forum got everything the user need.
And most users here can't evaluate the moderation tools, so this is up to you!

wappsify wrote:

Are there any benefits with Discourse apart from moderation tools, especially any that enrich the user experience? smile
Like video embedding or spoiler tags.
I have to say, I have grown accustomed to this environment here, but I'm sure with a nice theme a new platform will work just as good. Just make sure the transition does not create barriers for the user, or at least keep them to a minimum.

You can see the user features at their homepage, linked in the first post. I like them!

What I can say so far: It feels very strange and unfamiliar at the first moment. Currently I like "classic" forums better.
But it offers some interesting features. Maybe it could be modified to a certain degree, so it looks more like a "traditional" forum?

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Jonas the Roman wrote:

You can see the user features at their homepage, linked in the first post. I like them!

What I can say so far: It feels very strange and unfamiliar at the first moment. Currently I like "classic" forums better.
But it offers some interesting features. Maybe it could be modified to a certain degree, so it looks more like a "traditional" forum?

I guess the biggest difference is that the standard view shows all new threads instead of showing a category list. This could be modified, in the top you see a 'category' which is the more traditional view (one could make that the standard view).

Xenforo is probably the best forum solution atm.

I also like the current software more than the "new" one.

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Domination Mod "Developer"
« Uptee Designer

I like the simplistic design, and if it supports the moderation-team, I'd appreciate the change.

hello I'm new on this game big_smile

klookloo wrote:

hello I'm new on this game big_smile

That's cool. Enjoy

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Prefer the current one.
The shown one looks too white for my taste.. I wouldn't say that it's bad, but the design should be improved in order to make it more "teeish".

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

i think new one has more feauters, if it would be not too white...

Psycho.God wrote:

i think new one has more feauters, if it would be not too white...

More featuren != better.

Its never like this.
I like the current software more, because it... just fits perfectly fine.

How to database by FFanta: http://puu.sh/jdPVk/fa37a95ac2.png

Kompl.exe wrote:

.... except for the moderation team tongue

lush wrote:
Kompl.exe wrote:

.... except for the moderation team tongue

Yes. As an example, today I easily spent one hour moderating, although it only affected four people, and a couple of posts. I think that with discourse this would have gone a lot better.

heinrich5991 wrote:

But you're both just naming things, not why you like them better. So.. can you tell me what you think is better about your proposals? smile

In XenForo I like the speed of the forum, the administrator multifunction panel, the ability to write custom plug-ins, as well as user-friendly interface. For example, look at my signature.

21 (edited by Zatline 2014-11-18 02:52:10)

Looks kinda cool, rly! Do you need help with graphical stuff? smile

22 (edited by mein stick ist hat 2014-11-20 00:44:15)

If it's more efficient then I say go for it, it'll make the conservatives butthurt but they'll get over it.

arch is a little endian

23 (edited by lamefun 2014-11-19 11:37:57)

Discourse somehow manages to scroll slowly despite its simple layout. Why not mybb.com or modernbb.be?

Worth a look https://nodebb.org/

25 (edited by [pieLover] 2015-07-24 00:45:45)

I'd say XenForo (random thread) is our best choice as it isn't laggy like Discourse is, and would be theme-able to look a lot like the current forum. Less change on the user side the better, better administration/moderation tools the better.

EDIT: http://selene.mnus.de/ gives 502 Bad Gateway error right now. ~6:40pm EST July 23 2015

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat