Re: Grenadelauncher overpowered?

The thing is if it does get changed it would probably feel awkward to the players who have played for a long time. You can't really make a major change to a game that's been out for so long.

*EPIC-NOTHING*

I agree with Ludini that veteran players most likely be wary of changes like making certain weapons better or worse.

Besides that, The grenade would be almost useless if the grenades exploded if something else hit them.

no

Nilaya wrote:

3 max to the shooter, 6 max to the enemy being hit by the same exact grenade. That is insane.

Not so insane when you died by his hammer which deals 6 damange before you have put out another grenade.
You are rather looking at the advantages and forget about the disadvantages. Having to pick up a grenade is a disadvantage too by the way and you can balance around that by placing good pickups. Grenade spam is super useless against good players and I have so often seen someone waste all his grenades to just die because they have nothing left. If you want to nerf something think about Laser first and then we can talk about other weapons.

Besides that I think you can trust the pro community as they can judge these things way better and have way more experience. Magnet, Jambi(he made his 2000th funwar for EVIL yesterday gz) and BeaR are easily in top10 of active players in terms of skill and vanilla experience. As next Teeworlds version will be out in 10 years it does not seem to matter anyway though.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

From IRC:

[15:54:23] <@matricks> you know the balance is good when people
                       can't decide on what weapon is overpowered :)

I liked that quote.

Okay then, why not have high-level CTF games in different maps and collect how much damage total has been done by each weapon? Minimum sample of 30 games, see how much damage is done by the shotgun, grenade, and laser weapons.

My conjecture is that the collected data will show the most damage dealt by grenades, simply because it's powerful and people prefer it for all-purpose except for extreme short and long ranges. The preference here wouldn't be used for the argument of grenade being overpowered because it deals 6 damage and has long range, but rather people see its mechanics as fitting. Further, there's splash damage.

Of course, the obvious exclusions are hammer and pistol. Perhaps these two can be compared to each other.

Potential problem is that there isn't much of a control for weapon spawns and distance from player spawns to weapon spawns. Of course, this can be much more rigorous.

@JinAndJuice

http://eviltwc.freeforums.org/wars-f46.html
http://aeon.teewars.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=7

Think you need to make an account to view them btw. Look through the wars that have stats on them. They show the ratio at which a user killed or was killed by each weapon.

In case you don't feel like making an account, statistics show the majority of kills coming from grenades with the exception of games on ctf3 on which the shotgun sometimes has a higher amount. On some maps such as ctf1 grenades account for over 50% of all players' kills.

as long as no weapon is useless , i dont see the prob. with unbalan weapons. anyone saying they are balan, well... it's so obv pointless to argue

Anyway, what's the idea with "balancing" weapons? It's not like you pick a class at the beginning of the game and stick with it.

It makes just as much sense as removing straight blocks in Tetris because they are imba.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

35 (edited by Cart 2014-01-31 19:44:24)

Nilaya wrote:

In case you don't feel like making an account, statistics show the majority of kills coming from grenades with the exception of games on ctf3 on which the shotgun sometimes has a higher amount. On some maps such as ctf1 grenades account for over 50% of all players' kills.

You also have to remember the number of pickups. I already said that you can balance a map with it and if you have 2 shotguns and 4 grenades it is not surprising that there are more grenade kills. Furthermore grenade kills do not mean that most damage is done by grenade. I feel like I get mostly damaged by either someone good with a laser or by a shotgun. If it was a grenade I either just played wrong or took away most of his health and armor if he used it melee.

Funnily enough you noticed that there are sometimes more shotgun kills on ctf3. First of all the shotgun grenade ratio 1:1. Hope you understand what I want to imply. Moreover ctf3 games are often on a lower level as new players seem to love the map as ctf2 is rarerly played and too hard for them. Thus the grenade spamming mid level players will bring you more grenade kills as their spam is badly dodged by other mid level players.

http://eviltwc.freeforums.org/est-vs-ae … t3415.html
Would see Puch as a midlevel player but at least the other 5(depending on MMilos lagginess) are high level. Here you can see that grenade and shotgun are even for deffers and for attackers shotgun>grenade. Furthermore you can see the opness of laser. AEON had probably mapcontrol and therefore their deffer could kill and damage everything with laser.

Have you tried to play vanilla on a pub ctf5 servers when you are used to high level games? The first 40 seconds and sometimes later you will miss so much grenades just because you expect them to dogde while they don't dodge. If it is not dodged it is op but it is balanced because you can dodge it.

@Heinrich: It is just that armor pen on Laser offers too much utility and I think most pros agree on that(no source but Jambi and BeaR do at least) and that is the reason why laser is that rare on ctf2 and ctf3. If you ask in different skill levels the answer will probably differ but for balancing you have to look at the pro scene.

@Zg: Those funwars aren't really useful here as there are mostly mid level games. Just because a high level player is in it it does not become a pro level game. tongue

36 (edited by Kirbs 2014-02-01 01:03:12)

Cart wrote:

Have you tried to play vanilla on a pub ctf5 servers when you are used to high level games? The first 40 seconds and sometimes later you will miss so much grenades just because you expect them to dodge while they don't dodge. I

Ugh... That has happened to me so much that it gives me a stomach ache to think about it...

no

Definitely I see your point about ctf3, in that the grenade to shotgun ratio is even. I wish other maps were more even.

I also do not have a problem with unbalanced weapons. Each serve a certain purpose unique to itself. Some of those purposes are much more valuable than others. I think given the nature of the grenade launcher, its value as a defensive mechanism is a severe hindrance to the flow of the game and exemplifies the difference between high level players and low level players in a negative way.

On public CTF5 servers, which is pretty much the only vanilla teeworlds anyone plays these days, the grenade launcher single handedly results in disengaging gameplay for newer players who can't keep up, and kills the flow of the game. Tons of players just roam the map fighting aimlessly instead of playing strategically which imo is a huge problem for a gametype such as CTF. The grenade launcher, and the sheer amount of them on CTF5 is the biggest reason why games on that map last 45 minutes. When players rarely see the flag carrier and can't chase them because grenades force them to dodge or slow down or disrupt their movement, they are going to stop caring about the goals of the game. And I can't see how that is a good thing towards retaining those players.

38 (edited by Cart 2014-02-01 12:18:22)

Well ctf5 is flawed and that is why you normally don't see it played on high level. Ctf5 is rather a funmap for me and that is what most people probably like. I think we tried in once because we were 16 people and it was okay. If all players know what they do there is not as big of a problem as in a pub game where you try to chase him while your teammates let him through and do other random things. Grenade launcher back is possible on every map and it is okay as he has got the flag already and should be stopped by people in the mid/their base.

In my opinion the mid/high level vanilla scene is pretty active at the moment. I saw more ctf2 games than last year in just this month. big_smile Well unfortunately I think you still won't see a pure high level ctf2 game for a long time. Maybe if the League of Legends servers go down again.

39 (edited by d(-_-)b 2014-02-05 18:28:49)

If grenade explodes by touch is useless, then how about grenade which has 3 lives?

It gives quite useful defense for shotgun, while tee with grenadelauncher has an upperhand on keeping distance and map control i.e. Is it kind of abusive to take advantage of respawn time and distance in DM? A losing tee often has to fight fresh while a winning tee has a lot of options including scrapping all the resource.

In my opinion straight to main topic - grenade is a little bit stronger than other weapons and should probably be fixed.
That could be simply done by either of these options:
- lowering the max damage by 1 heart (resulting in max 5dmg instead of 6dmg)
- or making the duration between shots longer

IcyPRO wrote:

In my opinion straight to main topic - grenade is a little bit stronger than other weapons and should probably be fixed.

^ no why it is so easy to dodge rockets

Jambi* wrote:
IcyPRO wrote:

Easy to dodge, yeah that's a disadvantage, but a great advantage is that you can shoot it from a cover and a great range (as your shots curve and fall down).

IcyPRO wrote:
Jambi* wrote:
IcyPRO wrote:

Easy to dodge, yeah that's a disadvantage, but a great advantage is that you can shoot it from a cover and a great range (as your shots curve and fall down).

did you ever heard of "tune grenade_curvation/lifetime/speed"  ^^?

Well, I was talking about the default values and default weapon physics for the servers and of course I know you can tune the weapons to your own appeal...

I think this is my last post I'm going to write here, because I came here to suggest, not to argue.
Please have a nice day! (:

d(-_-)b wrote:

If grenade explodes by touch is useless, then how about grenade which has 3 lives?

It gives quite useful defense for shotgun, while tee with grenadelauncher has an upperhand on keeping distance and map control i.e. Is it kind of abusive to take advantage of respawn time and distance in DM? A losing tee often has to fight fresh while a winning tee has a lot of options including scrapping all the resource.

Please comment on my idea instead of some well-known facts =_=

46 (edited by Cart 2014-02-07 21:24:49)

d(-_-)b wrote:
d(-_-)b wrote:

Please comment on my idea instead of some well-known facts =_=

Would be interesting to see it in action though I think it would need changes for other weapons as well. Maybe someone who can do it is interested in making a mod just to test it. BEAR PLEASE

Here some assumptions:

Shotgun: It can pretty easily defy grenade spam but it would make shotgun even stronger and Teeworlds would lose the depth of Grenade as zoning tool. --> Interesting but I do not really like shotgun to be even stronger.

Pistol: It would be stronger way beyond the power it should have as a default weapon. You can easily kill grenades making it nearly useless. --> Probably too strong for a default weapon.

Grenade: Well it's demise can also be useful as you try to use it to block damage which would be especially good for Laser or if you run away as attacker blocking some pistol spam. --> Interesting as well for me.

Laser: NERF IT'S ARMOR PEN. SERIOUSLY.

Hammer: ???

Conclusion:  I think attackers would have too easy of a time as they can prevent the zoning from grenade on the way to flag while blocking damage on the way to capture it.

Some other topic:
Why is ninja the worst balanced weapon ever? You could tune down it's damage shorten it's range and give it some charges and make it switchable. Would be a super neat offensive tool which fills a unfilled role and give attackers a little bit to come through the grenade spam without having to buff/nerf the other weapons. It really seems like it could be some nice playmaking weapon that is practically there but either useless(so easily kiteable) or op(too much damage and movement) and therefore disabled at pro scene.

All I'm saying is that to me Grenade Launcher seems to be a little bit stronger than other weapons (excluding Ninja of course). And let's put all technical and mathematical arguments aside.

If you play typical CTF map like CTF5 for example, you can see that 90% of the time players use Grenade as their weapon to fight with. There's a reason why those players prefer grenade over any other weapon in most situations. That's because it's effective and most likely strongest.

48 (edited by Slinack 2014-02-10 05:58:03)

Try to hunt someone down only with grenades in ctf5 and see if it'll work.

Newbies play mostly with the grenade launcher because they don't know how to hook and use the other weapons properly (heck, not even the grenade) and so they just spam missiles and get lucky sometimes.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Look at your icon. Again with the grenade!

Nah I'm just kidding. Maybe you're right, idk. ^^
We all posted our arguments, now let the developers decide. xD

All I am saying is that laser is a little bit overpowered. That is my opinion from the experience I gained. Who is right now? If you don't really want to argue what is the point about discussing it?
I just do not understand why people who don't have mastered teeworlds are the indication of a weapon being strong or not. They see it does the most damage and is easier to hit so they use it. Why wouldn't you rather look at a progame and see that there are the right moments for every weapon. It is not like you could just ignore all other weapons and only run around with grenade.

Furthermore the map itself is also a part of balance(if every deffer had a free laser oh shit). Some maps may make a specific weapon stronger but I do not really know what could be wrong about that.
You should not really look on a not competitively played map(Ctf5 is a funmap in my opinion) for weapon balance anyway. If you wish so you should can tune your server for a specific map but it is good to orientate on ctf2 for balancing as it is the most interesting map of the default ones(BeaR can go into detail if you really want to know why).