Topic: Game Engine and next version

Hi, I've many questions about the game engine. I'd like to know what programming language you use to make this game. I heard "Python" really?
I'd also like to ask if you'll change the code to another language more powerful as (Java, C++).
I like this game so much but I'm having many problems with the performance of the game. I know to make a game with C++ / Java is difficult but you should think about it. If you made this game with Python I'm sure you will be able to make this game with another programming language.

I'd like also knowing what will you add on next version?
Thanks

Re: Game Engine and next version

btw
C 55.0%, C++ 39.1%, Python 2.9%, Assembly 1.2%, Objective-C 1.2%, Other 0.7%
source: https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds

C++ only really, and Python for generating some C files. You don't need to know Python.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Luminem wrote:

I like this game so much but I'm having many problems with the performance of the game.

Some drivers missing?
Or your system is weak.

About the performance I don't know what happen. I've cheked all drivers. The problems is that when I shoot there's a small delay  0,6 secs more or less before the bullet appears. That is the only problem I have with the game, collisions and jumps are perfect ;D

And by the by ^^ I don't understand that big mix of languages but it doesn't matter, I'm not developing the game.

ehm... maybe ping?!

#yemDX is a known troll

Pikotee wrote:

ehm... maybe ping?!

if your actions are delayed, you should check your internet connection.
When joining a server, you can see your, and of all other clients, ping. It should be around 50 for good game experience.

using wi-fi could also cause some problems, just write "debug 1" in f1 and tell us the approximate(<- stupid word) distance between you and your shadow or test it with ethernet cable to see whether it makes a difference smile

#yemDX is a known troll

I didn't see the "shadow distance value" but anyway I think I found the problem. The delay depends of the server, so I think the problem is the distance between my pc and the country where the server is or the bandwidth of the server... neutral
By the by, all my actions aren't delayed, only shots are delayed and I'm not using Wi-Fi. Some players' ping is higher than 50(100 - 300), my ping is (100 - 200) and server pings are (100 - 300)

Whenever I see someone say "by the by" I die a little inside

But... what if we tried more power?

11 (edited by Broken 2013-08-30 06:03:45)

mASOUD wrote:

Whenever I see someone say "by the by" I die a little inside

Anywho is what does it for me. tongue

Luminem wrote:

so I think the problem is the distance between my pc and the country where the server is... neutral

that's how lag works tongue

"Anyhow", back on topic, type this in F1 command line:

ping

It will tell you the latency

But... what if we tried more power?

well, it's like drawing a 1080P-3D-Wallpaper with paint, it's possible, but senseless^^

what about holding the tab-key?!

#yemDX is a known troll

Pikotee wrote:

well, it's like drawing a 1080P-3D-Wallpaper with paint, it's possible, but senseless^^

what about holding the tab-key?!

Ping shown on the scoreboard =/= actual ping

Luminem wrote:

I know to make a game with C++ / Java is difficult but you should think about it. If you made this game with Python I'm sure you will be able to make this game with another programming language.

Even if Teeworlds was made all in Python it is not as easy as you think to completely port the whole game to another language

Luminem wrote:

I don't understand that big mix of languages

In some parts of a project it is more worthwhile to write different parts in different languages, because sometimes you need a lot more speed in execution, which is where developers write in low(er)-level languages such as Assembly and C, or sometimes it is just because people are more familiar with a certain language or because developers can write faster in it which is why they write in easier, more abstracted languages like Python and Ruby, which does a lot of work for you