26 (edited by 2013-08-11 22:23:31)

Re: [MOD] IcyDM - Kill others to get shielded! (Now with TeeGray!)

Dune wrote:

Apparently I didn't remove the "dm" default gametype, so you need to type sv_gametype icydm till I fix this.

Oooh I get it now! You go from warm color to cold Icy one.
Dune I love you, you're so smart! So that's why I liked the coloring so much xD xD

Dune wrote:

Apparently I didn't remove the "dm" default gametype, so you need to type sv_gametype icydm till I fix this.

So should we name it IcyDM?
I like it.. But lower case and uppercase letters matter to me..

• Fixed issue where you could broadcast the mod as DM

• Fixed scorelimit

• Scoreboard now updates as the armor level of players, hence when a player reach the scorelimit amount of levels, he wins the game.

Sources and binaries for the mod.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

28 (edited by 2013-08-12 03:48:54)

Cool. smile

Btw, the mod sounds like iVampire..

Greet from China!
Teeworlds Chinese Website

• Added Lowmaner player color change fix.

Note that I take down outdated download links.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

30 (edited by IcyPRO 2013-08-12 21:13:27)

Dune wrote:
  • Added Lowmaner player color change fix.

Note that I take down outdated download links.

Thanks.
Don't worry, I update it as well on the first post.
Ok well, I tested it out a little bit and it's all as it meant to be. I like it.

Anyway, would it be possible to show:
- 1 star after reducing shield
- 3 or 5 stars after killing someone

Because 5 stars all the time seems to distracting, but on the other hand no stars isn't good either...

~
~
~
Alright Dune, I've been playing this mod for some time and it has a great problem.
The main problem is duel between shielded guy and shieldless guy.

If these two meet up, there are most likely two situations that could happen. Let's say that they both hit each other:
- if shieldless guy shoots first and shielded second = shieldless dies and shielded doesn't lose or gain anything
- if shielded shoots first, shieldless won't even shoot = shieldless again dies and shielded gains one more shield
And this is the big problem, which makes the mod unbalanced.

Now if everyone would start with one shield, that wouldn't work either as there would be suiciders that would keep lowering your shield without worrying about death...

*Now the solution I came up with would be, that FIRST HIT after respawning, would give you shield - no matter you kill them or just lower their shield. What do you think Dune? Would that be possible to add?

KISS.

Don't try to add complex rules. If the mod is bad, the matter is the concept.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

32 (edited by IcyPRO 2013-08-12 22:26:31)

Dune wrote:

KISS.

Don't try to add complex rules. If the mod is bad, the matter is the concept.

=/
Complex means complicated?
So you're saying because of little balances the whole mod is bad? That's not nice...
Sure there is a way to fix that.

Edit:
And what's up with the "KISS" thing all the time? Does it mean another person is talking through Dune's account?

It means

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Fine, fine, I will think of something simpler...

KISS => If the game mechanics aren't easy to understand, it's bad.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

icy i actually think that's a good thing because our games tend to go really long (30 minutes, 3 people reached 9, then we all quit).

so ergo, the high shielded player should have some sort of advantage

I wish there would be atleast one European server that would go 24/7...

To Dune:
To me, more complex mods tend to be entertaining for longer time.
For example FNG. Damn so many good memories.

To Broken:
Well, there is a problem with high-shielded player, or they are unbeatable whatsoever, or they can't reach their goal. We could do many simple things to fix this, one of them would be lowering shields to win from 10 to 7, for example.

Just don't give up on this mod yet, after few tweaks it can be really fun mod. Trust me...

I didn't "give up", I personally find it rather good as it is now. Also, broken has a point.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Alright.. I'm tired I will talk to you tomorrow ^^

Any public server hosted on this mod ^o^? it sounds awesome.

Only one NA server iirc.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

TsFreddie wrote:

Cool. smile

Btw, the mod sounds like iVampire..

Except the different winning condition tongue

Nice idea btw, why didnt i think of it?

More shield someone has, less rewarding  attacking of him comes... Although they should be most targeted ones.
So what if we would change shield gaining to every hit?

You gain shield if you hit them or kill them.
Let's try that as a different version - just for test.

That would make the overall shield count increase very fast, since it cannot ever decrease.

Really, I'm okay with the current game. The shielded player has an advantage, but come-backs are possible, as it should be : )

Not Luck, Just Magic.

45 (edited by IcyPRO 2013-08-14 21:05:14)

Dune wrote:

That would make the overall shield count increase very fast, since it cannot ever decrease.

Really, I'm okay with the current game. The shielded player has an advantage, but come-backs are possible, as it should be : )

Ye, that's true. I though of that too, but wanted to test it out.
Well, I'll think about it more.

Anyway, it's lot of fun playing it, but it needs more players. I've never played with more then 5 people...

~
Alright, well. My idea to make the mod a bit more alive and give the no shielded players a chance, would be this:
(and I tried to make is as simple as possible Dune)

Everyone would start with 1 heart. Heart entities would be enabled so players could get more.
Laser would deal 9 damage to hearts (once all shields are gone - so shields first, hearts second).
- Basically, if you collect 10 hearts, you have something like a last protection before death that could be obtained without killing anyone.

You could add hearts to the gameplay, but would need new maps few hearts only.
But this will cause troubles either, coz ones you have a good shield, you can just camp at the hearts.

Please stick to dunes advice and follow KISS.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

You could add hearts to the gameplay, but would need new maps few hearts only.
But this will cause troubles either, coz ones you have a good shield, you can just camp at the hearts.

Please stick to dunes advice and follow KISS.

If you would read properly, you would know that hearts wouldn't be beneficial to ones with higher shield. Because hearts go down last - after destroying shields. Also, collecting 9 hearts takes more than just sitting in one spot...

And stop harassing me with the KISS thing. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible and more is there to do, more fun it will be.
Or we can just make mod where everyone collect berries endlessly and play that for the rest of our lives...

IcyPRO wrote:

And stop harassing me with the KISS thing. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible and more is there to do, more fun it will be.

I don't think you're getting what "the KISS thing" is.

You have a simple, good, clean game here, but you always want to get additional rules in it, just "to try that" or because "the more to do, the more fun it will be".

Overloaded mods are no good - as for example, DDRace tried to give an use to every single weapon because "why not, the more the funnier", and now you're supposed to know that shotgun unfreezes, pistol has some special effects and I don't know what more. It's just really so not intuitive.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Well...

One more idea:
- If you reach 10 shields, you turn into special character (let's name it ninja for now) and 20 second counter starts ticking. Every 2 seconds you lose one shield, starting from 9 to 0. After surviving for 20 seconds without being hit player wins. Example:

*Reaching 10th shield - turning into ninja.
*20-18 sec 9 shields
*17-16 sec 8 shields
*15-14 sec 7 shields
*3-2 sec 1 shield
*1-0 sec 0 shields
*Victory!

- While being that NINJA, you can kill everyone by one shot (with the grenade explosion effect), but if someone hits you just once, you instantly drops out of that state and stays at shield number, you had at the time you were hit - meaning closer you're to victory, more you have to lose...

There are two REASONS for this:
1.)It's annoying to lose the game just by one random guy, that comes to player with 9 shields and gets killed.
This addon will give every player a chance to hold back the victory and maybe later get it for themselves.
2.)Hunting the player is exciting, challenging and fun.

Trust me with this one, it will be really fun. I've been thinking this through for 3 days... =/
If you don't understand something, just ask.

lol dune just for the record dd only has 2 extra weapons, lasers unfreeze and shotguns pull.