Re: Should we fork a Mod-friendly version of Teeworlds?

For me rewrite the full game its a good way..... Changing SDL to SFML (More easy, more fast)... Standart teeworlds for example.. when rotate png, the picture is distorted.. have dead code.... its a collage of C/C++ ... The compilation process is messy ... etc.. etc..

The debate Vanilla VS mods is bored..... officials devs have expressed more than once that they do not like mods. The mods section was forbidden to ask about mods.... i remember it.

Zodiac wrote:

Already brought up that lua idea on IRC and it was shot down, and I agree with the points they make. It is unfeasible as it will require tremendous effort to accomplish. Which comes back to my original idea, a client loader. Straight forward, and allows teeworlds to remain pure to vanilla. With the only downside being that it requires extra administration work.

I will discuss it with matricks at a later stage and get his input.

A Client loader would have more or less the same drawbacks as sending lua scripts to the client.
You can't be really sure that stuff is safe and works well. I would even go for lua scripting than sending some piece of binarys over the network lol. (Also that amount of administration would be much lower but well who would do that at all..)
Also it would be quite useless to add a client loader.. downloading a client for downloading another client?

Variecs wrote:

Who cares about how much players do mods have? There's no point of gaining people to Teeworlds if they don't play vanilla.

Lol. And why? It makes no sense. They are still tees, hooking and moving around for a game using the same engine.

The goal is everyone to have fun doing what they like, not be forced to play what someone else thinks is best.

29 (edited by Zodiac 2013-02-27 20:44:18)

BeaR wrote:
Zodiac wrote:

Already brought up that lua idea on IRC and it was shot down, and I agree with the points they make. It is unfeasible as it will require tremendous effort to accomplish. Which comes back to my original idea, a client loader. Straight forward, and allows teeworlds to remain pure to vanilla. With the only downside being that it requires extra administration work.

I will discuss it with matricks at a later stage and get his input.

A Client loader would have more or less the same drawbacks as sending lua scripts to the client.
You can't be really sure that stuff is safe and works well. I would even go for lua scripting than sending some piece of binarys over the network lol. (Also that amount of administration would be much lower but well who would do that at all..)
Also it would be quite useless to add a client loader.. downloading a client for downloading another client?

Never really heard of Lua. Just disregarded it cause from what I read, it sounded like it would require a lot of changes. Looks like I am mistaken. In terms of making sure it is safe, in most open source/open market it is impossible to guarantee the safely of a program but you have methods to mitigate the risk. For instance, Apple verify's every app submitted whereas Android allows the community to rate/comment on the apps. The exact same philosophy can be applied to managing the custom mods. Either you can have volunteers verifying the client is safe or you can allow for some form of rating/flagging system. I personally would recommend the first one as it is more thorough. And because there will only be a hand fill of modes, this is a very feasible solution.

I'm not too sure about your last comment. In the simplest form, (but I am sure there are far better methods to implement this) you have a menu of all verified client mods. You select "Nodes", which then proceeds to download the nodes binary from the TW server, if you don't have it already. Once complete, it closes the vanilla client and runs the Nodes client.... Think Half Life modes.  So you are downloading a client, to play. There is no other level.

On the server side, looks like there is a javascript alternative to C++ :
http://nodejs.org/

Its google made, and advertised to be highly scalable and responsive.

Developper of teeworlds-stats.info

Broken wrote:
Variecs wrote:

Who cares about how much players do mods have? There's no point of gaining people to Teeworlds if they don't play vanilla.

Lol. And why? It makes no sense. They are still tees, hooking and moving around for a game using the same engine.

The goal is everyone to have fun doing what they like, not be forced to play what someone else thinks is best.

If they don't wanna play vanilla, they can play some other game. Nobody is forcing anyone to play vanilla, but i think trying to gain more people into mods is not the goal we're trying to achieve here. Teeworlds is standart gametypes, everything else is only based on Teeworlds. So yeah, it does make sense.

Just ban mods. Everyone will come play CTF and the community will be fixed

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:

75% of the community will leave and the community will be broken.
Besides, long as Teeworlds is open source, there will be mods!
This is just plain stupid. If people make a game, and then give the source to people, what should they expect, but to get modified versions of the same thing, but modified to suit their and their friends purpose.

So devs, are you going to hide your game's source code from the public, /and/or/ban mods?
If you do, then people will stop and stay at a version that can be modded.
Or, people will make a new Teeworlds with source code, (if it is available) and people that love modified Teeworlds will go somewhere like that.

So please, since mods make Teeworlds players happy, please leave the source open! And do not use another way to ban mods... PLEASE

(No offense Developers, I still admire everything you've done for this magnificent game.)

smile

no

Lord Kirby [HDP] wrote:
yemDX wrote:

75% of the community will leave and the community will be broken.
Besides, long as Teeworlds is open source, there will be mods!
This is just plain stupid. If people make a game, and then give the source to people, what should they expect, but to get modified versions of the same thing, but modified to suit their and their friends purpose.

So devs, are you going to hide your game's source code from the public, /and/or/ban mods?
If you do, then people will stop and stay at a version that can be modded.
Or, people will make a new Teeworlds with source code, (if it is available) and people that love modified Teeworlds will go somewhere like that.

So please, since mods make Teeworlds players happy, please leave the source open! And do not use another way to ban mods... PLEASE

(No offense Developers, I still admire everything you've done for this magnificent game.)

smile

The community will be broken...? Look at the community on these forums. Most of the good posters are vanilla players. And the community already IS broken; there is obviously a divide between the vanilla community and the modification community. Nothing will change for vanilla players. As a vanilla player I don't give a shit if mods are banned.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Haha, this could be a desperated try to safe teeworlds.
But if it fails, teeworlds will die for sure without any glory tongue

I mean there is a divide couse most vanilla players flame mods

so people defend them if they like them but that doesnt help

Don't be confused between the general devs/vanilla players opinion and yemDX trolling. Learn to recognize baits.

Back to topic.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

38 (edited by fisted 2013-02-28 17:13:36)

Landil wrote:

I'd rather prefer people join official development instead of creating own mods. Why do not you guys assume responsability and participate in official development. Many hands make light work.

This just doesn't make sense. Mods are created because people want a variation. They consider vanilla to be boring after an initial period in which it was fun (*), so why on earth would they join official development? Quite naturally this leads to modifications, rather.
(*)Note this isn't my opinion, i definitely enjoy playing DM, and from a vanilla player's perspective i do even agree Teeworlds shouldn't change too much (however note the hypothetical changes introduced by the fork wouldn't affect gameplay significantly anyway).

@Zodiac, glad to hear:)

TeecTac wrote:

What's the state of the mod/gametype policy ?
Would the official developers be willing to include extra game types if the extra work is also provided ?

Is there any other reasons why you would not be willing to contribute to the main codebase ?

It doesn't seem like official development would be willing to include extra game types, but i am not an authoritative source on this matter.. Better ask someone affiliated with vanilla development.

And no, there's no reason i wouldn't want to contribute to the official code base. It's just that they won't accept anything which even remotely might add some mod friendlyness. Vanilla is all that matters, for upstream.

@All thanks for the feedback so far!
And to those pointing out how much work it would be, please keep in mind that the idea is /not/ to totally diverge from upstream's development. Ideally the fork would regularly merge upstream (and just maintain its hopefully not too big of a patchset for added mod friendliness).

-fisted

@mods: Why on earth did you remove the Poll?

fisted wrote:

@mods: Why on earth did you remove the Poll?

Not my work, but polls on this kind of topics are totally irrelevant imo.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

40 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2013-02-28 20:35:46)

yemDX wrote:

Look at the community on these forums. Most of the good posters are vanilla players.

You're a vanilla player but you are a bad poster.
Broken's the most mature member on this forum but he like Mods

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

The vanilla gameplay should get the most possible attention in developing. Mods are something which make the game more attractive to new players and they can be a lot of fun (fly or race for example) but nothing can beat vanilla.
But i would like to have a very 'modfriendly' kind of coding and more possibilities.

Just made a video about this

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Well most of the arguments of the video were irrelevant. We don't care who made the mods, it's not the point. I'd rather have it typed down to be able to answer them though. I don't quite get the point of a video.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Ich wrote:

The vanilla gameplay should get the most possible attention in developing. Mods are something which make the game more attractive to new players and they can be a lot of fun (fly or race for example) but nothing can beat vanilla.

Its not about vanilla > mods in general, there just has to be a clear base.
It would be nothing more than a garbage collector if each mod idea would be implemented.

Nobody is asking that Teeworlds add every silly idea (you'd think someone had suggested rainbow butterfly powerups the way people are acting), or that Teeworlds change its overall vision.

Just simple additions that might help some modders should be given a little more weight in consideration, because some mods have, in my opinion, outshone Teeworlds itself.

I mean that's it. That's all any of the reasonable people are asking.

And where would you put the boarder between "should be implemented, coz its useful (worth the time) and doesn't slow dev. progress" and "shouldn't be implemented, coz it will rather slow dev. prograss than it is useful"?

Currently it is: Vanilla-related stuff (minimalistic for fastest dev.)

47 (edited by Zodiac 2013-02-28 22:25:55)

Even though I am in full support of the mod community, I agree with Slayer on this. Teeworlds developers shouldn't specifically be spending time on mod features. However, having said that, I do feel that the developers should take modders into consideration when coding.

I don't know why we still having this discussion, the developers have agreed to implement mod related features as long as it is coded well. Which is completely reasonable as long as they are true to their word. So I suggest we get a group of modders together who are interested in making Teeworlds more mod-friendly and we come up with ideas to achieve this and the best solution in doing so. Once we have gotten a list we can proposition the developers to see if they are satisfied with the idea and the method we came up with, then proceed from there.

This achieves the exact same result as what fisted wanted, but without having to  fork from teeworlds.

Zodiac wrote:

Even though I am in full support of the mod community, I agree with Slayer on this. Teeworlds developers shouldn't specifically be spending time on mod features. However, having said that, I do feel that the developers should take modders into consideration when coding.

I don't know why we still having this discussion, the developers have agreed to implement mod related features as long as it is coded well. Which is completely reasonable as long as they are true to their word. So I suggest we get a group of modders together who are interested in making Teeworlds more mod-friendly and we come up with ideas to achieve this and the best solution in doing so. Once we have gotten a list we can proposition the developers to see if they are satisfied with the idea and the method we came up with, then proceed from there.

This achieves the exact same result as what fisted wanted, but without having to  fork from teeworlds.

That's exactly what i wanted to say.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Just made a video about this

I'll try to make my comments about your unnecessary vid, but i only understood like half of what you said. You could have just typed out what you said instead of making a random video. Whatever. I'm sure it is because you want people to give you more views for ad revenue or something.

Ctf and iddrace are pretty different actually. Ctf mod is a pretty stable mod that involves team play and skill with all weapons, as well as good movement. iDDRace is a solo mod of another mod where you do a team ddrace map because you are not social enough to play with another person, or just hate people and are a loner, idk, doesn't matter. You can also use weird cheats and bugs, added to the mod as features, to skip parts of the map because you aren't good enough to gain some skill and do parts correctly. The mod is also very buggy, or at least was the last time i played it. An unstable and glitchy mod of another mod is not one that should be accepted into official development or even supported, if that is what you are getting at. Shows how much you care about teeworlds by not knowing the name of the creators sad

Nobody is telling you not to play mods either. Go for it. I haven't seen that said anywhere. What the vanilla players and devs are saying, is that they don't feel like or have the time to give a lot of support to mods, as well as to what extent they should support mods, if at all. If mods developers could help balance the load devs have on 0.7 and future updates, there can be time for discussion on the topic of supporting mods and even pitch in ideas for simple supports on mods, such as  Race or even DDRace. Personally, I would like to see Fly ctf support. Even though fly maps work with ctf mod, I think teleport tiles don't work. I also like how it counts hooking or bumping a tee into spikes as a kill.

I have no idea what you were trying to say about Christian framing an atheist for not being religious. You could use a dictionary and realize that is what atheist means. What does that even have to do with yemDX and vanilla players?

HeroiAmarelo wrote:
yemDX wrote:

Look at the community on these forums. Most of the good posters are vanilla players.

You're a vanilla player but you are a bad poster.
Broken's the most mature member on this forum but he like Mods

+1

smile

I agree 100%

no