Topic: [FORUM] We really need to fix spam

Just this morning I think i've found 3 spammers.
We've been all reporting as constant, but I think there aren't enough mods. I haven't seen Azon in long, so maybe that's why there have been so many untouched spammers.
Maybe you could have a system if there are too many post reports/downvotes, the player is banned?

USA pride. What now.

Re: [FORUM] We really need to fix spam

Make a wordfilter:
If a post doesnt contain the word "teeworlds" the user who wrote the post automatically gets banner xDDDD

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

fazer! wrote:

Just this morning I think i've found 3 spammers.
We've been all reporting as constant, but I think there aren't enough mods.

Or there are simply too much advertisers.

I haven't seen Azon in long, so maybe that's why there have been so many untouched spammers.

-> spammers aren't untouched
-> Azon is not the only moderator anymore

Maybe you could have a system if there are too many post reports/downvotes, the player is banned?

Ban for negative votes? Seriously, think.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Teeworlds forum needs more 'ACTIVE' mods?

and i totaly agree with fazer!
i play other games to they are everywhere o.O
Teeworlds has to stay clean ;D

i think Landil sud be moderator he is verry active and gentle =]

- Messy i wrote teeworlds twice XDDDD

RedBerry wrote:

Teeworlds forum needs more 'ACTIVE' mods?

and i totaly agree with fazer!
i play other games to they are everywhere o.O
Teeworlds has to stay clean ;D

i think Landil sud be moderator he is verry active and gentle =]

- Messy i wrote teeworlds twice XDDDD

landil is a developer...

a good step would be to allow mods to delete posts and threads.
to have spammers is one problem, to cant delete the spam the other one!

The Messenger wrote:

Make a wordfilter:
If a post doesnt contain the word "teeworlds" the user who wrote the post automatically gets banner xDDDD

So my previous post just got banned xD
Also, spammers could just say their ad, then put "teeworlds" at the end tongue

@Dune, Sorry, I'm not really up to date on moderators. I'm glad to see ALL the spam topics deleted today now tongue
But really, what could we do to stop the spam?

USA pride. What now.

i think that here should run phpbb3 because it has much more features than punbb and mods would have it easier to moderate the forum.
I also think that about 85% of this forum style could be also made in phpbb3

greets jxsl13

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

9 (edited by The Messenger 2011-01-21 17:40:39)

fazer! wrote:
The Messenger wrote:

Make a wordfilter:

So my previous post just got banned xD
Also, spammers could just say their ad, then put "teeworlds" at the end tongue

@Dune, Sorry, I'm not really up to date on moderators. I'm glad to see ALL the spam topics deleted today now tongue
But really, what could we do to stop the spam?

But they wouldnt know it the first time they spam... wink
Nah the idea was ironic idk whattodo.

EDIT: F*ck this post (^) i have an Idea:
How about recruiting some "Janitors"? The Janitors would only be able to controll spam on a part of the forum which is assigned to them wink
That means they would be deleting spam and reporting anyone who spams around to the admins...
(4chan)))

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

i think it is not really possible with this cms,but i do not exactly know, because i did not really try out punbb
i would be happy, if possible,to take such a job ^^

11 (edited by Bee 2011-01-21 22:50:35)

Deleting posts with some amount of downvotes leaves open the change for a botter to create multiple accounts and reek havoc on the forums; bad idea.
Also not adding "Teeworlds" into a post; very bad idea. I have no idea why that even came into existence as a suggestion. tongue
The Janitor idea is a good one Messy. People with a respected reputation, like the Support Staff, could be given a new power of a checks-and-balance system to temporally ban members until a moderator and settle the issue. Anytime someone with such power marks a spamming member, such member will get one ban vote. If so many votes tally for a ban, (maybe a 2/3 ratio, depending on how many people have the power) then they get temporarily banned until a moderator can decide for themselves their punishment. Anyone misusing the system will be properly punished. wink

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Bee wrote:

Deleting posts with some amount of downvotes leaves open the change for a botter to create multiple accounts and reek havoc on the forums; bad idea.
Also not adding "Teeworlds" into a post; very bad idea. I have no idea why that even came into existence as a suggestion. tongue
The Janitor idea is a good one Messy. People with a respected reputation, like the Support Staff, could be given a new power of a checks-and-balance system to temporally ban members until a moderator and settle the issue. Anytime someone with such power marks a spamming member, such member will get one ban vote. If so many votes tally for a ban, (maybe a 2/3 ratio, depending on how many people have the power) then they get temporarily banned until a moderator can decide for themselves their punishment. Anyone misusing the system will be properly punished. wink

Hahahahaha the "Teeworlds" word filter was a sarkastic suggestion wink
And I actually thought that Janitors arent gonna be MODs, I thought that could be assigned to normall users ))

13 (edited by Bee 2011-01-22 04:52:56)

The Messenger wrote:

Hahahahaha the "Teeworlds" word filter was a sarkastic suggestion wink
And I actually thought that Janitors arent gonna be MODs, I thought that could be assigned to normall users ))

Oh okay, good. xD
I didn't say they would be moderators, I said they would be trusted people like support staff because of the potential to misuse the system. Trusted people, like me! big_smile (I am sooooooooooooooo trustable)
But now that I think about it, there is a bigger problem with spammers than misusing a system like that so I don't think they need to be entirety trusted people. Though, qualifications should be: been a member for over a year, added something to the community, whether it be posting constructive comments or drawing creative teeish pictures, and active at least 3 times a week on the forums.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

With a risk of being down voted 20 times,

Let me remind you what happened to Marta with the old Forum Bot -> Click

I'm not saying... holy s**t marta won't be able to make new posts (i don't even know if she's active any more) I'm just saying this might happen to many other users.

About the mods... they do a good job on the forum... i guess there should be janitors, yes big_smile

Finally it has it's ups and downs...

+ TW.com and the whole game is getting more popular
- You get very angry and it wastes your time =/

I have a other idea, seen this in other forums..

Only members with a postcount of 5 or higher can create new topics. But maybe then they would just spam opened topics ....

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

wapps.warpaint. wrote:

I have a other idea, seen this in other forums..

Only members with a postcount of 5 or higher can create new topics. But maybe then they would just spam opened topics ....

The real problem is spam; whether it be in topics or comments is irrelevant. They would just advertise in comments or even signatures; It wouldn't solve the issue. Aside for from more bot "filters" which would require heavily on website formatting, making miniature moderators is the easiest solution. If the growing number of spammers doesn't bother the mods or devs then we don't need to fix anything. If it does, I see this as the best solution.

~30 new spam accounts are registered daily. One or two of them create posts or even threads.

The problem is that they are able to register an account. But I'm sorry, I dunno how we can fight them.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

How about each new account, before it is made, will ask the user why in particular they want to become a member of this forum. Their answer would be sent to a moderator or a respected/trusted person and reviewed. If it looks obvious human then they are probably human. If not anything it will become a greater hassle to people manually making accounts and advertising with them. Plus, do any of those “type what you see things before you can comment/make an account” work against bots? I’m thinking they could be of use for us.

hmm
i think it should be needed to make the email field a needed field to register.
you will only be able to register with only one email and banned accounts = banned emails can not register anymore.You also should only be able to register once with one email and you need to confirm a link.. i don't know if this is used here because my registration was long ago...
Greets jxsl13

or just use an other cms: like phpbb3   <---------

Bee wrote:

How about each new account, before it is made, will ask the user why in particular they want to become a member of this forum. Their answer would be sent to a moderator or a respected/trusted person and reviewed. If it looks obvious human then they are probably human. If not anything it will become a greater hassle to people manually making accounts and advertising with them.

<sarcasm>I've got a better idea: the new users will have to pay to be able to register</sarcasm>
Seriously, having to write an introduction is annoying, for both the user who have to write it and for the moderator who will read it. Plus, I think some users won't register because of this, or just write something stupid in the field like "Hello".

spl0k, aka Al`. From the HuH clan.
Noobing pwns since 01/01/1970.
TeeViewer - TeeComp

spl0k wrote:

<sarcasm>I've got a better idea: the new users will have to pay to be able to register</sarcasm>
Seriously, having to write an introduction is annoying, for both the user who have to write it and for the moderator who will read it. Plus, I think some users won't register because of this, or just write something stupid in the field like "Hello".

Moreover, we already know they are humans using bots. They can bypass captcha protection, so they also can write a simple 'introduction'.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

spl0k wrote:

Constantly dealing with bots is annoying. Hey, if it's a bad idea because it does more harm than good then fine. I'm just throwing out some suggestions.

Dune wrote:

Moreover, we already know they are humans using bots. They can bypass captcha protection, so they also can write a simple 'introduction'.

I figured most had to be manual but some where bots, right? If figure other websites have the same problem so I don't see why we're a special case.

Let's just deny people from India (because most spambots have Indian IPs) to send links to sites that does not have "tee" in the domain name.

Landil wrote:

~30 new spam accounts are registered daily. One or two of them create posts or even threads.

The problem is that they are able to register an account. But I'm sorry, I dunno how we can fight them.

Going back to my "Janitors" idea

25 (edited by Landil 2011-01-25 14:35:58)

There are several useful extensions for PunBB:
we could use
- Antispam system ( Add CAPTCHAs at registration, ...)
- Registration approval (which means mods would have to approve all new registrations)
- Stop bots The extension will prompt some questions to prevent bots from registering and posting.

/--unofficial extensions or mods--/
- StopForumSpam Antispam cross checking and blocking IPs with stopforumspam.com
- Akismet for PunBB Akismet decides if an entry is spam and will ban the user and the IP then.
- AntiBot Adds an image based Bot stopper to the register page.
- bad behavior mod integrates the Bad Behavior spam protection
/--possible solutions where an extension needs to be coded / found--/
- disable posts/signatures/profile entries which contain links for "new member"s.

/--other stuff--/
- phpscript to remove useres with less then x posts

I have not talked to minus and magnet, yet. Maybe, they could check these options (please).

People report that registration approval will create a lot more work for the mod-team and thus does not really help.

edit: added 2 new extensions from the post below

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!