Re: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version

One thing Teeworlds tries to do is to have balanced weapons.
Besides the fact that a simple wooden mallet really shouldn't be doing as much as a chest full of pellets or a face full of explosion, it never needs to reload because it has no ammo hence, it needed a con and having less damage evened it out.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

I really support the Bass idea, allowing the player to deal more damage per second with the hammer would be a nice gameplay improvement to Teeworlds in my opinion.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Well the hammer has been weakened because of its abuse.I would like to to have the old settings back as well, because it really was fun.

BUT as long as there are autofire gaming mice and scroll wheel fire users its just pointless.

1338 - One step ahead of the average Nerd.

504 (edited by Azuma.*! 2011-03-17 21:40:07)

I totally agree with Bass.
The hammer was very popular at version 0.3.x.
Players like El Diablo was famous for incredible frags with their hammer.
You should really add that again. I assume old vanilla players will come back, if this power of hammer will bring back.

I'd really suggest it to the developers to this again.

I don't play since 0.3.x and I'm too lazy to download it, but I agree with Bass & Azuma.
The hammer is just useful if you have no weapons, you can't deff with only a (low damage) hammer and a pistol.
Maybe a lot of old famous player will come back then.
Think about it!

Detox

506 (edited by dumBass 2011-03-18 13:02:54)

I don't say this randomly, I play for quite some time and I often look at the teecomp statistics and the hammer is always the weapon that has the least number of kills even if we always carry this weapon.

If this weapon is so balanced  so how can you explain in a average game on CTF2 (30 min), the total number of kill with the hammer of all the players don't generally exceed the 15 kills, while only 1 player may have 50 kills with the grenade launcher...

Don't forget that to success in hurting someone with a hammer you must be near him and aim, which is very difficult. Currently the best way to kill with the hammer is to block your opponent into a corner and be under him which usually quite rare.
It is too much easy to emerge victorious from a battle against a hammer without getting hit and if you have enough ammunition. It's quite funny because the hammer is supposed to be a close combat weapon but it loses all those duels against other weapons, yeah, mostly players prefer to use another weapon in a close combat and that works!, the worst part is that the laser is supposed to be a ranged weapon but it always win his duel against the hammer!.
The only duel  the hammer has a chance to win is against the rocket launcher and only if the possessor of this weapon is low hp, because in close combat the rocket launcher hurt his user. The thing that make me laugh is the rocket launcher do that same damage as the hammer if you get hit by your own rocket so generaly if you can tank enought your opponent kill himself while you touched him maybe once ...

The power of the hammer is much too low compared to the risks to take and the skills required to be near your opponent, I think the increase a little bit of the rate of fire could be a idea, or change damage from 3 to 4 or else increase the size of the hammer for up the range a litle bit tongue

507 (edited by Ubuntu 2011-03-18 13:32:32)

Who said that the hammer should be as good as other weapons? In my opinion, it is normal that a weapon that you have to pick should be better than a weapon that you get when you spawn. So using the number of kills is irrelevant here.

Also there were good reasons to change the hammer, that fameless pointed. If I remember well there were a bug, a faster reload and more damages. It is still pointless to have a faster reload because of the mousewheel trick and autofire cheats. So I see only one possible change: increasing the damages from 3 to 4.

If you want to convince Oy about it: https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/issues/543

509 (edited by Bee 2011-03-18 17:18:27)

Ubuntu has a good point in saying "Who said that the hammer should be as good as other weapons?" I hadn't considered the game play strategies of having initial weapons less powerful than of found weapons.

I personally do use the hammer a good amount of the time but I will admit isn't never as much as the main weapons (laser, grenade launcher, shoot gun). I do however use it about 15% to 20% of the time for kills whenever their in close range and my shoot gun and hand gun are gone. I use a combination of madly swinging the hammer, hooking, and [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [D] (so I know where my actual position is than where I will be in a second) to have the best chances in fighting. And every once in awhile I'll take on someone while I have full ammunition of all weapons with only the hammer and hook. It's funny because I have a general 60% chance of winning. lol So the hammer isn't as wimpy as people portray it. If people just started experimenting with new strategies and weapons, they'd be surprised how useful it can be.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

it looks like trunk version made death tiles less sensitive... maybe a server tuning for that?

sv_death_sens 1/0

?

would be appreciated, it's useful in maps like h_race, teelegend, etc.

I would really like to have the old death tiles back (from 0.5.2), so I agree with alias.

I think these entities.png deserve to become official.

http://teeworlds.sushitee.de/race/entities.png

First of all, the death tiles are much nicer looking and more teeish. Also, the collision tile is not as opaque and allows you to see through it (telling you if there's an error or not).

Do you talk about the whole entities.png or only the things you mentioned?

If race becomes official, the whole thing.. if it doesn't the necessary tiles: death, collision, unhookable, and bottom stuff.

Race will become official. But i think in a different way than it is right now. Since i dont think races should be split up into different parts.

Although you are using this now like "Checkpoints".

In my opinion teeworlds shouldn´t be that complicated for mapping. There should only be two tiles. Checkpoint and respawn at the latest checkpoint.

I think races should follow a clean line through the track instead of jump to that part and afterwards jump across the map to the next part

exalkun wrote:

I think races should follow a clean line through the track instead of jump to that part and afterwards jump across the map to the next part

Agree. This is the way race should be implemented in the official Teeworlds - checkpoints, but no teleports.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I think that there shouldn't be something like real checkpoints, only checkpoints which tell you the current time diff. (I my opinion races should be short and without any checkpoints at which you can be respawned)

As with easier server hosting,there should also be easier map creating.

Once in a century...

Elite Tee wrote:

As with easier server hosting,there should also be easier map creating.

Map creating is already easy enough, you have an integrated editor! There's nothing such as this for hosting servers.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I am actually very curious about race and what it will look like. I'm not entirely sure who's heading that up but if they did blog up dates like Landil, that'd be super awesome. big_smile

Host Server
Achivments
And also in the server browser when i find a good server I try to join it but i can't click it fast enough because it detects new servers and my server scrolls down sad There should be a "Stop Refresh" button

Once in a century...

Don't re-suggest suggested ideas. Just give them a +1. wink

As for "Stop Refresh" I think it's a worthy idea, but for now, I deal with it by checking off one or more of the sever filter settings or I type in the gametype I'm looking for. Doing both will drastically limit the amount of severs you'll see. If all else fails, just wait for it to finish.

Small edit on official dm1 map:
http://images.sevstar.net/images/85616123405429151051.png

524 (edited by Franchan 2011-03-27 18:30:17)

don't know if it was brought up before but quick switch between fullscreen and windowed?

(without restarting)

it was brought up before. i support it though.