51 (edited by Fubar 2007-09-01 16:46:16)

Re: What should we focus on.

I was thinking more GUI type of thing too. When you run the server now its all text. If possible a GUI for it. Of course the typical settings like, name, time limit per round, max players, map, damage, disable weapons, choose starting weapon, password for server, enable/disbale password, teams on/off, number of rounds before map change (if it had the ability to change map), number of kills, port, ip, and possibly others. Also how about making the cfg for the game and server two seperate files? I like ebing able to edit the server from a window and then have the setting take effect on the next round, and the all round ability to change details.

I saw a topic about hazardous terrain, (water, lava etc.) and to spin further in that one just more cosmetic terrain would be nice... People talk about keeping the high-paced spirit of the game, but I would like to see the cuteness of the game kept aswell with pouring waterfalls as background scenery for example.

53 (edited by RippaN 2007-09-20 20:38:06)

Gamemodes such as CTF, TDM and Duels. I would also find some kind of Race/Jump mode VERY satisfying where you have to reach certain speeds and do crazy jumps and use the hook in the most advanced ways.

hi,

i played the game some days now, and i really like it.

in my opinion you should focus on some important things first:

-server should be able to  change maps. always the same map is boring by the time( i know you can change the server, but as the server stats are so inaccurate right know it's little bit like gambling to get a server with people on it)

- server should be able to upload maps. would be a nice feature, but i could understand if you don't want to implement this. i don't know on what inet connections most of the servers run, but as the maps are 8mb maybe it would take to long to upload the maps with smaller server-inet connections.  so i would suggest an official map pack with download button. as said, only 3 maps get boring very soon

- sometimes it's a little bit anoying that the players figure get stuck on small corners so easily.

sorry for my english

funkydunky wrote:

hi,

-server should be able to  change maps. always the same map is boring by the time( i know you can change the server, but as the server stats are so inaccurate right know it's little bit like gambling to get a server with people on it)

- server should be able to upload maps. would be a nice feature, but i could understand if you don't want to implement this. i don't know on what inet connections most of the servers run, but as the maps are 8mb maybe it would take to long to upload the maps with smaller server-inet connections.  so i would suggest an official map pack with download button. as said, only 3 maps get boring very soon

- sometimes it's a little bit anoying that the players figure get stuck on small corners so easily.

sorry for my english

Actually the serverlist usually shows the correct amount of people, if you use the Refresh button. I agree with you on all other points.

I´d also like too add that compensationg for bad connections due too for example long distance would be among the most important things, since players are scattered all over the world. That has already been mentioned before though.

funkydunky wrote:

hi,

sorry for my english

1. This is coming in 0.3.0. Always wanted but it has not made it in yet.
2. This will also come but post 0.3.0. The maps in 0.3.0 is compressed and takes under 200kb so the size wont be a problem in the end.
3. This is already fixed for 0.3.0
(note, 0.3.0 is an upcoming version that is not released yet.)

57 (edited by funkydunky 2007-10-02 09:58:27)

nice to hear smile

some minor suggestions:

-join server by double-mouse click

-insert a change-weapon-key to the key-bindings which can be assigned to mousewheel. weapon selection by numbers is to frantic sometimes during the fights
(just saw that this will be in 0.3)

- make a lan-only modus. at the moment one port MUST be forwarded in the firewall to create a server which can connect to the master server. but if you only want to setup a local server this is needless. i live in a student hostel, and i cannot make any changes to the firewall, and i could imagine that i'm not the only one with this problem

-release of the source code would be nice, to get soem idea of game coding smile

- if you are on the server browser screen, the mouse should not be captured to the programm. in the game the mouse-capture makes sense, but not on the server screen. it's a little bit annoying that you only can switch to other programms bei alt-tab. just had the problem when i wanted to play with a friend on a server. switching to icq via alt-tab all the time isn't nice wink

funkydunky wrote:

nice to hear smile

some minor suggestions:

-join server by double-mouse click

-insert a change-weapon-key to the key-bindings which can be assigned to mousewheel. weapon selection by numbers is to frantic sometimes during the fights
(just saw that this will be in 0.3)

- make a lan-only modus. at the moment one port MUST be forwarded in the firewall to create a server which can connect to the master server. but if you only want to setup a local server this is needless. i live in a student hostel, and i cannot make any changes to the firewall, and i could imagine that i'm not the only one with this problem

-release of the source code would be nice, to get soem idea of game coding smile

- if you are on the server browser screen, the mouse should not be captured to the programm. in the game the mouse-capture makes sense, but not on the server screen. it's a little bit annoying that you only can switch to other programms bei alt-tab. just had the problem when i wanted to play with a friend on a server. switching to icq via alt-tab all the time isn't nice wink

1. will be in 0.3.0
2. same here
3. you can setup a lan server by setting sv_sendheartbeats=0 in the config
4. the source will be released with 0.3.0 (or during)
5. the mouse capture thing is abit problematic, but I will look into it further.

59 (edited by nealz 2007-10-09 17:04:23)

- Browser: Make it possible to sort by attributes. Clicking once on a Server
could result in a menu dropping from it which shows players and server settings.
- Bouncy nades and guns: Please not, try to keep it concise.
- Nick registration: Nice thought, but don't make it necessary to have
an account!
- Community/Socialize function: When hitting ESC a menu pops up which
allows you to Quit, Setup, Ready/Unready, Switchteams and most important
Vote in order to change Server settings.
- No-Sign-Timeout for Players after a few minutes -> autokick.
- No console window in the Background on default
- Sourcecode and Documentation of it for the publicity!
- Advancing the Site: Making a guide, calling these forums more obvious to reach
-> Community button, adding ingame shots to give ppl an impression!
<- who wants to DL sth he hasn't seen a thing of!?

For later (harder to implement)
- Spectating and Lobbies for playing/not playing persons
- Maybe demo functions
- Teamplay-supporting Weapons (ill write about this in another fred these days)

60 (edited by Tim 2007-10-15 18:05:43)

granis wrote:

me wants log-output on the server!

"nick1 killed nick2 with weapon2"
"nick2 killed nick2 with weapon3"
"nick3 wrote hi ppl"

smile

./teewars_srv > teewars.log

Edit: Ops. didn't realise that server output was fixed after your post.

please...focus on releasing the next version ^^ doesn't matter if not all the stuff will made into it.

releasing in smaller steps would be nice big_smile

funkydunky wrote:

please...focus on releasing the next version ^^ doesn't matter if not all the stuff will made into it.

releasing in smaller steps would be nice big_smile

There's a balance in that, too. Certain fixes / feature implementations break the network protocol, and it's very tiresome to have to upgrade and restart servers every few weeks. We prefer to stick to big increments and then focus on bugfixes for minor issues.

a short rant:

rockets!! the downfall of the game. In many games it just become a rocket fest, which (in my opnion) completey ruins the gameplay of teewars. I think the rockets deal out way too much damage per hit (7 damage) and up to 5 damage even for indirect. I think that the high damage of the rockets has led to everyone just rocketing each other, which i admit is extremely satisfying because of the low repition of fire/slow reload time, although in large games it becomes tiresome as rockets completely restrict the acrobiatic nature of movement and negatively effects the otherwise great weapon range of tee wars and results in frustrating gameplay.

Anywayzzz (feelng much better now). I think the game as a whole would benefit greatly by reducing the damage done by the rockets (which is otherwise a great weapon).

Maybe something that could be considered. Im sure many other will disagree.

Rochey

I kind of agree with you, but not fully. I think the rockets should kill with two hits, so 5 hp for a direct hit would work fine for me, and top 3 for indirect hits.
However, I don't really think that the rockets are overpowered. I did in the beginning, but now when I have played for a while, I've changed my mind.

Used to be very active waay back

Rockets are tricky. Sometimes they are really easy too dodge, sometimes they are really hard too dodge. Makes it all a mindgame of predicting eachother´s moves. Makes for interesting gameplay, and definitely very acrobatic, but can be tireing in the long run since it tends too be similiar most of the time.

Rockets take up a lot of the play time, which is kind of a bad thing when theyre always available. Still, they would loose a lot of their flavour if they did less damage. It´s not like the other weapons arn´t useful, they really are, but rockets have a way of really grabbing attention so it´s the thing people will try first.

My solution is too make maps without rockets on them, where all the less powerful uses of the other weapons can get some space. That way you can have the great rocket mindgames, but you don´t have too have them all the time.

Quite certain rockets make 6 damage, not 7.

"although in large games it becomes tiresome as rockets completely restrict the acrobiatic nature of movement"

Don't quite understand what you mean with this...? The slower projectiles travel (and grenades are the slowest) the easier it is to get away from them. To me rocket combats are often the most intense and acrobatic ones because you  have to pay so much attention to not get hit and to get good positioning over your opponent.

aka kiwi

If any weapon is to be changed, I think the gun needs to be 50% stronger.
I don't have a clue on how this should be done though, since the bullets can't do 1,5 damage, and it would look a little strange if the gun were the only weapon with 15 bullets...

Used to be very active waay back

The rockets/grenades will stay. They are the most fun weapon in the game right now. They are hard to hit with, and hitting with em should be rewarded. There are some more stuff regarding balance that is going to make a big difference, like double jump, this will make it even easier to dodge the rockets. The air accelerate has been raised in 0.3.0 as well to allow more movement and adjustment while you are in the air.

Why the grenades are so popular could also be because there is not that many weapons to choose from right now and grenades are the better one on longer ranges. Also, I wanna wait to do more dramatic stuff until we start to see how TDM and CTF plays, and how good the best clan is, and how they play.

Right now it's very hard for us to balance the game because if someone complains, how good are that player? is it a problem that the player doesn't know how to handle the weapon or is it a pure fact that the weapon sucks for reason X and Y? If you break it down to pure damage per second, the shotgun is the most powerful weapon in Teewars right now and I don't people realize this. The problem is that you must get close to utilize that damage.

Pistol 10dps
Grenades 10dps
Shotgun 12.5dps

What we are missing are more weapons and choice. I think that the classical grenade battles will be less frequent with a bit more choice of weapons.

Good news. It's true the least ppl notice that the Shotty is strong which makes it underrated.
Anyway dependent on distance and hightdifferences there's an optimal weapon for every situation
at the moment. DPS is quite a theoretical value which actually needs to be multiplied with the
percentual probabilty to hit with it which is ofc individual from player to player. So I don't think
it's a good Idea to build weapons after mathmatical rules, this also pointed out in the development
of warsow which is still hardly well balanced imo.

However without having thought about it too much I don't like the Idea of doublejumps or increased
aircontrol settings. Being really really focussed on not being hit by grenades a medium experienced
player will easily be able to dodge 99% of all grenades. It also takes away a bit of the practice necessary
to get along with the hook if you'd implement these settings. I'm quite curious how that's gonna be made.

nealz wrote:

However without having thought about it too much I don't like the Idea of doublejumps or increased
aircontrol settings. Being really really focussed on not being hit by grenades a medium experienced
player will easily be able to dodge 99% of all grenades. It also takes away a bit of the practice necessary
to get along with the hook if you'd implement these settings. I'm quite curious how that's gonna be made.

I disagree. In my experience granades are only easy too dodge when the one dodging is more experienced than the one shooting (but sure, then it´s very easy). Skilled granadiers make life very hard, at least for me.