Topic: What should we focus on.

Ok, we have just release 0.2.0, what should we focus on doing to the next version? Lets hear your thoughts!

2 (edited by ohyeah 2007-08-06 11:42:13)

Re: What should we focus on.

Be able to see who's playing on a server from the serverbrowser.
Capture the flag! smile
Some sort of highscore?
Register a nickname?
More maps, or a decent mapeditor so the players can create maps and then upload them (here) or something.
A new weapon: Grenade-launcher, It would be great to have grenades that doesn't explode when they hit the wall/tee, instead explode after a second or so.
Anyway, this list may not have something that you should focus on for the next version but I thought this was the best place to post it.
Bye.

ohyeah wrote:

Be able to see who's playing on a server from the serverbrowser.
Capture the flag! smile
Some sort of highscore?
Register a nickname?
More maps, or a decent mapeditor so the players can create maps and then upload them (here) or something.
A new weapon: Grenade-launcher, It would be great to have grenades that doesn't explode when they hit the wall/tee, instead explode after a second or so.
Anyway, this list may not have something that you should focus on for the next version but I thought this was the best place to post it.
Bye.

See the players in the server browser would be nice. Gonna look into that one.
CTF is on it's way.
Highscore? How should this work?
Register a nickname, this means that we need to centralize some parts which is not something I want. But perhaps in the future we can make stats-accounts or something like that.
More maps would be nice. A decent map editor is planned, but not focused on right now.

The grenade-launcher sounds like a good idea. We have tried it out a few times and it ends in disappointment because the game becomes too chaotic with it so we never put it in.

4 (edited by ohyeah 2007-08-06 13:38:46)

matricks wrote:

See the players in the server browser would be nice. Gonna look into that one.
CTF is on it's way.
Highscore? How should this work?
Register a nickname, this means that we need to centralize some parts which is not something I want. But perhaps in the future we can make stats-accounts or something like that.
More maps would be nice. A decent map editor is planned, but not focused on right now.

The grenade-launcher sounds like a good idea. We have tried it out a few times and it ends in disappointment because the game becomes too chaotic with it so we never put it in.

Sounds great.
Im not sure how the highscore should work, I just thought that a little statistics would be fun. Nothing major, but without a 'registered' nickname i belive that's gonna be hard.

And i realize that if 5 people have grenade-launcher it could be a bit chaotic.
Perhaps some sort of rocket-launcher that can take one bounce on the wall before explode? I think it would be nice to have some sort of weapon to reach anyone who's 'camping'.

ohyeah wrote:

Sounds great.
Im not sure how the highscore should work, I just thought that a little statistics would be fun. Nothing major, but without a 'registered' nickname i belive that's gonna be hard.

And i realize that if 5 people have grenade-launcher it could be a bit chaotic.
Perhaps some sort of rocket-launcher that can take one bounce on the wall before explode? I think it would be nice to have some sort of weapon to reach anyone who's 'camping'.

That one bounce thing was the next logical step and we tried that too. Still to chaotic. I'm thinking of some sort of laser that bounces 1-2 times instead without gravity. We currently have a very hard time coming up with new weapons, so any ideas in this area is great!

Something else to fix:

The game should restart when the second player connects. So the first player doesn't have full armour when the round starts.

7 (edited by Arood 2007-08-06 23:23:42)

Highscore and Registering Nicknames could be server specific, like on IRC?

Edit:

Another great thing would be "rooms" like in IRC for more powerful servers. But this may be to hard to make?

Arood wrote:

Highscore and Registering Nicknames could be server specific, like on IRC?

Edit:

Another great thing would be "rooms" like in IRC for more powerful servers. But this may be to hard to make?

I thought about that nick registering thing and this is what I concluded. It's not something that will happen soon. There are a lot of other big tasks that needs to be done that are more important. It's something to think about perhaps 6-12 month and lets take that discussion then and look where teewars are then.

This rooms thing is possible to implement but it seams to be unnecessary logic to maintain when you can setup several servers on one machine instead. One main goal that I have with the code to Teewars is to keep it down as much as possible and not go out on some wicked mission smile. Keep it simple and clean, Teewars will benefit from this in the long term in forms of stability and ease of development.

9 (edited by Slayer 2007-08-07 05:13:21)

Just my opinion, choose to care or not xD

->
Nick registering sounds nice. If ever made, should be somewhat temporary in my opinon.
Always disliked nick registering where people can just register and keep a nick occupied and then never use it.

Highscore/stats sounds like escaping a bit from the "casual" style game Teewars I know.

The anti-camp weapons discussed really seems excessive tbh, if you're pinned down you just have to break free ;P
Some kind of area-camping punishment could be useful perhaps, but altering/adding weapons to be able to shoot around the bends more than currently just sounds plain boring. What's next? Railgun like in Red Faction? tongue

(If you haven't played Red Faction: The railgun there shoots through walls, has an IR-sight that zooms and sees through walls, and it also does insane damage.)

How come there's no "oop" falling sound? ^^

Server list could use some modifications like mentioned earlier and if/when the amount of servers grow, maybe filters for ping, amount of players and map?

Some more info on the score screen would be nice too, like for example server name and how long each player has been on.

// EDIT: Sorry if my reply sucks, I'm tired.

Slayer

It's hammering time!

We want more weapons because right now there is just four and you start with two of them.

* All weapons should have their purpose and not overlap each other too much.
* To kill with a weapon the target must be on the screen. We don't want spamming weapons.
* A weapon should not be able to do 10dmg on one firing.

Here are two ideas that I've come up with.

Sludge Gun

* A weapon that shoots sludge at players.
    * Makes them move slower and heavier.
    * The more sludge the slower they move.
    * Stacks up to 2-3 times.
    * Low damage.

Mjolnir / Lightning Gun

* Fires a lightning going straight forwards.
    * If it hits a player, it deals X damage
    * It jumps to players in the vicinity dealing X-1 dmg until X becomes zero
    * Should not deal as much damage on first target as rocket or shotgun
    * Should be used in situations where you fire at multiple targets more.

I'm gonna collect ideas at http://ix.teewars.com/trac/wiki/WeaponIdeas

me wants log-output on the server!

"nick1 killed nick2 with weapon2"
"nick2 killed nick2 with weapon3"
"nick3 wrote hi ppl"

smile

granis wrote:

me wants log-output on the server!

"nick1 killed nick2 with weapon2"
"nick2 killed nick2 with weapon3"
"nick3 wrote hi ppl"

smile

Ticket added: http://ix.teewars.com/trac/ticket/96

Weapon ideas:

Grenade:
Bounces when hit walls and explodes after some time 1-2 sec.
Damage 2-5 or something, and do area of effect damage.
Might be a good idea to limit to one per map and have a long respawn time on it.

Flamethrower:
Sets tees on fire so they take dmg over time, though not much and not for long.
Maybe burn through armor.

Machinegun:
Heavy weapon that spews rounds all over the place.
Very high rate of fire but low damage, maybe make the tees unable to move while fireing.

Other ideas:

An option to change your crosshair (a list of like five different crosshairs), and or color of it.

An option for the player to change his mouse sensitivity.

Some or all terrain maybe should be destroyable like in worms or liero.

Add some icon in-game that display what weapons the player is currently carrying.
And the player should be able to scroll through his weapons with the mouse scroll.

Maybe add some other pickupable stuff like items, example:
Climbing equipment, so the tee can walk on walls for some time.
Stealthpack, makes the tee semi-invisible (like the predator in avp) for a short time.
(maybe he should be able to activate at any time after he picks it up)

Grenades: Makes the game to chaotic, we tried it
Flamethrower: Goes under the same category as grenades, usually very fuzzy, it's very hard show where and why you get damage.
Machine gun: Has no specific case of usage. And minimum damage that can be done is 1, so basically it will be a pistol with auto-fire.

Cross-hair: perhaps as an option yes.
Sensitivity: Oh yes, how did we miss this one?

Destroyable terrain: It's a cool thing but I think it can also destroy the game play. It would make it harder to move around on the map and such. The technical stuff around it isn't very nice either. But, perhaps some sort of destroyable stuff in the future, but not all.

In-game weapons display: Requested quite often, will make it into the game soon, but not 0.2.1 because it requires net-code change.

Climbing equipment: Hook rules big_smile Kinda makes the climbing equipment useless.

Stealth pack: hmm, Quake 1 tried this and I've never seen it since then. I think it can make players kinda frustrated. Perhaps a powerup like the ninja with some extra ability.

Q:"An option to change your crosshair (a list of like five different crosshairs), and or color of it."

A:you might have noticed that every weapon in the game has an uniqe crosshair thats in the same color as the weapon it represents. the reason for this, making it easy for the player to quickly identify what weapon they have at hand. ( the corsshair is usualy where your eyese are when you play). now if we would make multiple choises for all those crosshairs, well. we would en up with ALOT of different crosshairs. wink

the question is, would you rather have one crosshair for all the weapons that you can costumise instead of the way it is now?

ps. pardon my spelling ^^

In answer to red com:
The standars crosshair system should still be availible, but you should also be able to choose a crosshair to have with all weapons.

Weapon ideas:

Poison dart:
The player gets one dart and throw it a short distance and it flys in an arch.
When a player is hit by the dart the poison makes the tee swell,
like a baloon and starts to rise from the ground making him unable to move
(except with the hook) and more vurnable to attacks (like double damage),
the poison would last max 2sec I think.
The dart does no damage by itself.

Throwing dagger:
The daggers would decline after some distance when thrown and not go in a straight line like a bullet.
Should do much damage as they are hard to hit with them.

Sticky bomb:
Thrown like a grenade but will stick to walls and tees and detonate after 1sec.

Stake gun:
Fires a large pole that goes through tees.
Say if there are two or three tees in a row it will hit and damage the first,
then continue through him and hit the second one and damage him
and then through him to the third and damage him.
(Maybe only go through one tee and maybe do less damage after each 'go through')

I would like to see instagib as a gametype. Perhaps combined with only a railgun (like in QIII) or a shock rifle (UT).

jonte wrote:

I would like to see instagib as a gametype. Perhaps combined with only a railgun (like in QIII) or a shock rifle (UT).

that'd rock big_smile

There must be an "oop" sound when falling!

An installer for the Windows-version maybe?

If you feel that you don't have time or energy to learn how to use installers (like NSIS), I can sacrifice myself to make them (^_^) (both installers for the whole game and for updates).

Filtering for the server-list can be a nice feature, especially in the future when there may be alot more servers running.

Arood wrote:

An installer for the Windows-version maybe?

If you feel that you don't have time or energy to learn how to use installers (like NSIS), I can sacrifice myself to make them (^_^) (both installers for the whole game and for updates).

Filtering for the server-list can be a nice feature, especially in the future when there may be alot more servers running.

I'm kinda against installers hmm I feel that they are there because of a flawed system. I prefer having a zip that you just unpack where you want it. But perhaps we can release both versions. One exe installer and one zip.

Yeah, freedom is a bliss. However, most Windows-users are used to installers and in worst cases doesn't know how to use a zip (O.o)... exe and zip is the best solution, since everyone gets what they want.

(and as I said before, I can make an installer if ya want ;P)

Self-extracting archive at max Oo

Slayer

It's hammering time!

minimap!
automatic upgrades

25 (edited by LazyDog 2007-08-16 13:43:08)

When pointing on a tee with your crosshair it would be good if the players name is displayed, like in quake.
Another feature I already mentioned on swec is the next weapon button. 

I would also like to see launching pads (jump on them and get tossed into the air) and maps where ninja rope is not the primary tool to get around the map. I like ninja rope, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes I would like to play a different kind of game you know. Also maybe a server setting for ninja rope length.

I would like to see a railgun type of gun. With slow firing rate but high damage. And maybe a nerfed bfg clone (slow moving ball of energy if you get close your doomed, taking damage per second while close).

But honestly I think the most important thing at this point isnt new features. I think the lag and movement delay needs even more tweaking. At this point I can’t really get the dm feeling of this game because of the small delay. I still love it but I just can’t get that feeling.  :S

edit: One more thing. When making the teamplay mode if its ctf or whatever. Try making everything you can to reward teamplay. Maybe the ability to heal teammates or making auras that buffs teamamates close to you. This fast pased actiongames leaves little room for teamplay so you have to reward those who actually gives it a shot.