Re: Water as part of the map

That's what I'm used to from trying to shoot guns underwater in other games.

I don't care.

Well, water tiles would do what any hazard does; it helps mappers set up a risk <-> reward tradeoff. Whether that is a good thing or not is a completely different discussion; I personally can see a use for it in the "quick but dangerous" route of a CTF map, but not much point in a DM map, or even TDM.

That said, I don't think hazard tiles are necessary to achieve that; it's just one of the ways to do it.

I'm not hostile towards hazard tiles as I like the idea of punishing mistakes in movement while maintaining the flow (unless there's a nasty shock reaction purely intended to break the flow).

I didn't play any CTF so this might be true but can't talk out of experience on what I'd like/dislike. I'm not sure why exactly but I dislike breaking the flow in DM/TDM, but would really appreciate the exact same thing in a CTF game.

I don't care.

Teetees wrote:
ShootMe wrote:

I think water could add a lot to the gameplay. Just like any other element it has to be used correctly in the map to add such a value.

Well this is one of these random "Well I think it really would make the game uber" assumptions. Would you mind sharing your thoughts and ideas on how exactly it could improve gameplay and in what way you have to modify the game to keep a good balance?

I did think about it and I could think of:

- According to the nature of water, it must slow Tees down to not break people's intuition.
- Because being slow means vulnerable water has to be avoided. Teewars is fast-paced. Something that breaks your pace is bad. Period.
- This makes water as cool as damage tiles. Except for the newbies who'd love to swim around in big water maps.
- Firing guns underwater is usually problematic, some work, some shouldn't. Therefore being underwanter has another disadvantage.

And I actually had a hard time thinking of things that clearly make water a place where you'd want to be in.

- I tried to come up with an artifical situation where the slow down factor would be positive. I couldn't as the hook has infinite strength. Need to slow down? Use the hook.

What I could think of though were ice tiles. Why? Because they do not disable you but enable you. In my opinion artificial barriers in games SUCK. Give opportunity - which ice does. Keep your full speed while being vertically at rest. This is a true advantage.

Let the architecture itself be a challange and add nifty tiles that allow for smoother movement - don't make the basic movement hard by adding no-go spots.

Edit: Grrr, I wonder if I'll ever write a post I don't have to edit afterwards. (Preview is for woozies. tongue)

I never said adding water would make the game uber. As some have pointed out already the obvious implementation of water would be to provide risk vs reward type situations ( for DM,TDM games could be used to make it more risky to obtain more powerful weapons). However, it could also be used to seperate "islands" and provide multiple grounds for killing. Where if there was no water you may not have been able to do this in a effective way. There could be other useful or interesting ways to use water not thought of at the current time as well. Having the option to use water however allows the game to be more diverse.

30 (edited by Gorecorpse 2008-01-29 03:14:39)

all the last comments were about how the water would work during action, but come on... this is almost unpredictable. besides the fact that there is not a agreement here about how it would work (slow? really slow? swimming ability like mario in a toad suit?) it also relies on the player skill, energy and weapons he has at the moment and, most of all, the map itself.

Teetees:

just an example to paint what teetow said: try to remember how the water worked in q3. it wasn't good to stay there because you'd become an easy target, but everyone entered it in search for the quad damage... that was really fun. fun to slay the opponent in the water and to instagib them from far. if the water work that way in teewars, it wouldn't "break the flow", as you said.

would waters work in teewars? i think it is hard to discuss without some major agreements, but the idea can work, because there are so many things you can do to place water in the game that it HAS to be some idea that fits the tee world. good idea, but not essential.

Don't compare Q3 and Teewars, it doesn't work. First of all we have fast movement plus the hook. If there's water, we just need a roof and we couldn't care less. So to make water an effective risky spot in the map, you'd have to make a huge room with no roof, only water on the bottom. Or you'd have to make a narrow complex arcitechture to prevent swinging above the water. Both cases suck. We in Teewars almost fly.

If you played dm1 you know how great its risky spot in the center is. After a duel you have to get the 4 hearts plus 1 armor as quick as possible - but you are trapped in a tunnel just long enough to be pain in the ass.

I don't care.

Firstly I think Q3 and teewars is pretty possible to compare, Q3 offers alot in tempo and speed too.

Secondly I think water could be quite cool and I see numerous possibilities how to use it wise in maps, but there are game tecnical problems and I think someone should lay down a total explanation of how it'd work. Also I dont think it should be always on the bottom of the map, but being up to the mapdesigner where to put it.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

Chi11y wrote:

Firstly I think Q3 and teewars is pretty possible to compare, Q3 offers alot in tempo and speed too.

Gosh, does someone try to understand me before writing? Of course, both offer a rather fast movement but the hook in Teewars makes the movement different in about any other aspect.

Chi11y wrote:

Also I dont think it should be always on the bottom of the map, but being up to the mapdesigner where to put it.

Do I get you right? You want water to float upside down on the ceiling or sideways on walls? Well, sideways could work, waterfalls and stuff.

I don't care.

nope you get me COMPLETELY wrong.

What I mean is that the water should be placed like any other block/unhookable block. This makes it possible to create small pits of water or stupid flying water in the middle of the air if that is your weird obsession. These things should NEVER be hardcoded, the mapper should have the control.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

does it have to be water? cen be some magnetic field or something?

About the competition perspective, water cant have a big role of an map, and I only remember a good map wich included water was in the quake 2 map The Edge (did i get it right? :S ), and it was a pathway to the rail.

Water is a interesting idea, but very hard to pull off in pro maps...

Good idea, but now think, how to make interesting map with it so it would be useful

ThePuMa Clan

My opinion: Water on the ceiling - WTF. Water on the sides. Well, waterfalls, alright.
My overall opinion: Water is unnecessary.

My conclusion: Let it be implemented and test it or leave it out. wink

I don't care.

You can make water spots very usefull with TREASURE big_smile aka Weapons/Health/Items

Okey, I'm going to drop my very personal opinion on water (not a final decision about it). I F**KING HATE IT!. I have hated water in all FPS and side-scrollers that I can think of. The water on q2dm1 (edge), just annoying. Water maps of mario (which one of em? ALL OF EM), just slow and boring. Then you have the honorable mention of the water levels in TMNT to NES which tops them all. Water slows you down, make the character annoying hard to control. Then you have the horrible task of getting out of the water, which is tends to be horrible as well in games.

Teetees: Just a note, much of the game play in teewars has been modeled after FPS games on the PC and we tend to like the Quake school of FPS and teewars is largely modeled in inspiration of just Quake 3 in more ways then just game play.

matricks wrote:

Okey, I'm going to drop my very personal opinion on water (not a final decision about it). I F**KING HATE IT!. I have hated water in all FPS and side-scrollers that I can think of. The water on q2dm1 (edge), just annoying. Water maps of mario (which one of em? ALL OF EM), just slow and boring. Then you have the honorable mention of the water levels in TMNT to NES which tops them all. Water slows you down, make the character annoying hard to control. Then you have the horrible task of getting out of the water, which is tends to be horrible as well in games.

Can't express my love for you right now big_smile

matricks wrote:

Teetees: Just a note, much of the game play in teewars has been modeled after FPS games on the PC and we tend to like the Quake school of FPS and teewars is largely modeled in inspiration of just Quake 3 in more ways then just game play.

I don't quite get the message. If this was supposed to legalize the Q3 <-> Teewars comparison I have to disagree as at least the movement is a whole lot different thanks to Teewars' hook! Anyway, after your clear message on water I'd even sign this one. <3

I don't care.

Teetees wrote:
Chi11y wrote:

Also I dont think it should be always on the bottom of the map, but being up to the mapdesigner where to put it.

Do I get you right? You want water to float upside down on the ceiling or sideways on walls? Well, sideways could work, waterfalls and stuff.

Water on the ceilings can be a good thing, you just need imagination and good design to pull it off!

Yeah, and reverse gravity.

I don't care.

Teetees wrote:

Is that all your imagination can come up with???

I agree it should be those in favour of water who come up with convincing arguments, but really Teetees... Just because you can't think of a good way of pulling this off doesn't mean it's impossible. Stop presenting it as such.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with using water to slow down passages and make interesting spots harder to reach without allowing others to trap you. It's called controlling a map's flow and can make, for example, a CTF with many players a lot more diverse and thus interesting.

What I'd like to see, in case water does make it in someday, is buoyancy. That would make it harder to submerse your tee and ever harder to keep it there [you'd have to stay "anchored" with the hook, which would make you an easier target], but at the same time easier to swim, let alone hook, up again. The effect would eventually push you out of the water at a certain momentum, depending on how deep you were when you let go, possibly resulting in another fun aspect of the game. Yes, it would mean tees are lighter than water. They certainly look like they are!

make it so that if you're going at a nice speed horizontal to the water, you skim across it.

munyul wrote:
Teetees wrote:

Is that all your imagination can come up with???

Hell yeah, tell me what would make water stick on the ceiling in a game that is a side-scroller with gravity pointing downwards?

KRD wrote:

[...] but really Teetees... Just because you can't think of a good way of pulling this off doesn't mean it's impossible. Stop presenting it as such.

But I tried really hard to think of a good way pulling it off and I eventually concluded there is none?
I like matrick's description pretty much of what water fould "feel" like ingame.

KRD wrote:

buoyancy thing

I like the idea!

I don't care.

47 (edited by KRD 2008-02-02 14:02:26)

Also, Matricks said that was solely his opinion. Not that the community should be able to force something the developers don't like into the game, but when it comes to water, it could easily be kept off the official maps and only made available in the map editor. Everybody wins, right? That would make it a lot easier for people to experiment with and a lot more likely for good uses of it to be found than any amount of forum and IRC discussion ever could.

Sab0o wrote:

make it so that if you're going at a nice speed horizontal to the water, you skim across it.

Buoyancy would pretty much take care of that if done right, I believe. How deep you sank would depend on the vertical velocity only.

Edit: This probably doesn't have the potential to get implemented unchanged, but it could spark an idea or two. Either way, it looks pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0E6e7viXyc