Topic: Water as part of the map

What about implementing water, not as a hazard, but as a part of the map.
Say lower 1/3 of the map is water, and tees float on it (even if the floating up is quite slow). To get down under and move around, you'll have to hook around in a slower environment. This will also render the rockets close to useless because  they would sink very fast. Shotgun and gun however would still have the same (or very close to) velocity.

Discuss!

Used to be very active waay back

2 (edited by R3ynolds 2007-11-24 13:28:09)

Re: Water as part of the map

nice!that's a great idea!I agree,if we can add some new environements,do it  big_smile
excuse my english please

Reynolds

This is your first and last meet with my gun...   R3ynolds--->Black Wolf.

Sinking granades would be far from useless, just make sure your´e above the opponent wink.

Well, yes, sinking grenades wouldn't be useless, but I kind of thought of a quite slow sinking... Kind of when anything hits the water in worms, but slightly faster.

5 (edited by RallyHagge! 2007-11-24 16:57:49)

Neat idea! I thought about this earlier, you woud have to use your hook in another way with "reversed gravity", wich I think is great! Make the tees take damage slowly (start to drown) after about a minute beneath the surface. Also add some cute drowning sounds! lol

Maybe a server ability to rise (or lower) the water surface over a short period of time can come in handy? Nah...

Repeating line at the top right corner of your screen:
RallyHagge!  ( ••)   ?????  ( ><) Your name

I don't agree with the drowning part. I think it would be better to have it "Mario-style", i.e. you can be under water for unlimited time.

Yea, drowning would make things complicated.

Water what an perfect idea. Drowning wouldnt be so fun imo.

Beware of qposMarvinj wink

I was just thinking about this.

Water would be a good idea as a flow control in a map, like- a low-grav area, or as a perimeter around a flag to discourage rushing the flag and rushing back to a base.

I think it may be annoying to implement, but it is a nice idea. It would add more variety to both maps and gameplay.

Too make water truly interesting there could be stuff like underwater currents and waterfalls dragging the tees with them smile.

Takes a lot of pace from the game though. In a competition environment, the water would be equally with the hazard tiles, once you're in you're cannon fodder. Plus, the newbies would probably spend half the game in the water because it's cool.

I don't care.

Teetees wrote:

Takes a lot of pace from the game though. In a competition environment, the water would be equally with the hazard tiles, once you're in you're cannon fodder. Plus, the newbies would probably spend half the game in the water because it's cool.

Do you always have to show that you think you're the best?
I don't agree with you Teetees, in competitions the water would be a very useful envrionment...
When you collect the shotgun and want to conquer an enemy with a granadelauncher you try to locate the battle in an environment which gives you an advantage, so you jump down in the water and hook the enemy to keep him following...

The new Players have to try the movement in water is true, but you will have to that either, so be patient with those guys wink

Teetees wrote:

Takes a lot of pace from the game though. In a competition environment, the water would be equally with the hazard tiles, once you're in you're cannon fodder.

Not if there´s currents.

Feuerkelch wrote:

Do you always have to show that you think you're the best?

No. Do I always have to be a "yes, the idea is awesome, you're the greatest" groupie idiot? I just take part in the discussion about new features and feel free to say "No, this seems wrong to me" just like you go "omfg marry me ur awsum". Deal with it.
Apart from that I think about my experience from playing other games and from what I remember I can't think of a game/map where there was a big amount of water which wasn't bad for the apparent reason that water slows down. And Teewars is fast-paced. This doesn't fit without further ado. You get this logical reasoning?

Enemy Terrirtory for example has water in its maps and when there is, it is used as a natural barrier. You don't jump into water because else you're cannon fodder. Just as I said. You can't use weapons in there, others can shoot inside the water. You can't escape quickly as well, you can drown. Water is bad.

So tell me, what makes water any different than a damage dealing tile then?

Feuerkelch wrote:

I don't agree with you Teetees, in competitions the water would be a very useful envrionment...

Yeah, just as much as huge stairsets, sharp corners, small corridors, wall mazes, and complicated architectures. I wonder if you know what you're talking about.

I don't care.

try reading my hole post and you can understand what i am talking about...
ET sucks and it's nothing like TW so keep the topic. In TW it's all about speed and the right use of weapons in specific situations. If you can't get the advantage in a situation you have to change the situation. When you're followed by a tee with grenade-launcher and you only have the pistol+hammer you try to move up and get above you enemy... or you jump into water, hide behind the next corner... the attacker has now 2 options: 1. following you and change to pistol. his advantage is lost and you have a balanced 1on1 fight. 2. keeping out of the water and focus on other tees or in 1on1s waiting for you. No matter which one he chooses, you have a better position now. When he's waiting, you take an other way out of the water and get a better gun and the battle is open up again.
But if you're a noob who thinks water is an environment to avoid you have to fight with disadvantages.

When I first looked at the name of the topic, I thought of insta-kill water as in Worms and thought "NO!", but after I've read I must say I'm positively surprised.

How about swimming movement in replacement of jump underwater? Like breaststroke or so smile (not sure if it's still breaststroke if underwater)

Take a look at my posts with ideas:
Hammer+charge * Headshots smile * Yet Another Energy Gun * Map scrolling

18 (edited by Teetees 2008-01-28 00:13:59)

I feel like not answering but I don't want to be too harsh now:

Guy jumps into water (probably accidentially as there's no advantage in there tongue).
Guy outside can now:

1) Follow him. Stupid move.
2a) Stay outside, shoot the fish with the still working shotgun and pistol.
2b) Go on.
3) Wait for the mermaid to drown if implemented.

You have a nice fantasy for making up unrealistic game situations but ingame this won't happen or be over in about two and a half seconds. But let's just quit here and wait for it to be implemented (would hate to see that ingame) or not.

I don't care.

Teetees, you´re talking under the assumption that movement in water would be slow. I don´t think that has too be the case. Different, naturally, but not neccessairly slow. Tees could be very good swimmers.

All idea sound good! But

Different, naturally, but not neccessairly slow. Tees could be very good swimmers.

Yes, but I think a little slower moves will be more naturally. It could be 30ups..

Dreamy wrote:

Teetees, you´re talking under the assumption that movement in water would be slow. I don´t think that has too be the case. Different, naturally, but not neccessairly slow. Tees could be very good swimmers.

Don't mess with people's intuition, really. This is a basic law of game creation.

Making Tees faster in water than on land suggests Tees are fishlike creatures. It would mess with the whole feeling of the gameplay. Currently, Tees are cool little buggers (with guns (TM) ) that have awesome hook skills. Making water better than land summons all-water maps because of the faster gameplay. And this, as I said, suggest we have some underwater arena shizzle.
To avoid that, water has to be naturally make you slower. And then everything I said before would apply. I just don't see a sense for water.

I don't care.

You don´t think it could be balanced in any way?

I think water could add a lot to the gameplay. Just like any other element it has to be used correctly in the map to add such a value.

24 (edited by Teetees 2008-01-29 01:14:37)

Dreamy wrote:

You don´t think it could be balanced in any way?

No I don't. Because if you add something that disables you, you'd have to add another type of tile that compensates for it. Like jumppads. Think of it as karma. There are games that add plenty of traps, walls, invisible walls, spikes etc. They frustrate. They make the game harder just because the developer wanted it to be hard. I hate that. So if you add something bad (water is bad in my opinion) you'd have to add something 'good' to smoothen the overall gameplay.

ShootMe wrote:

I think water could add a lot to the gameplay. Just like any other element it has to be used correctly in the map to add such a value.

Well this is one of these random "Well I think it really would make the game uber" assumptions. Would you mind sharing your thoughts and ideas on how exactly it could improve gameplay and in what way you have to modify the game to keep a good balance?

I did think about it and I could think of:

- According to the nature of water, it must slow Tees down to not break people's intuition.
- Because being slow means vulnerable water has to be avoided. Teewars is fast-paced. Something that breaks your pace is bad. Period.
- This makes water as cool as damage tiles. Except for the newbies who'd love to swim around in big water maps.
- Firing guns underwater is usually problematic, some work, some shouldn't. Therefore being underwanter has another disadvantage.

And I actually had a hard time thinking of things that clearly make water a place where you'd want to be in.

- I tried to come up with an artifical situation where the slow down factor would be positive. I couldn't as the hook has infinite strength. Need to slow down? Use the hook.

What I could think of though were ice tiles. Why? Because they do not disable you but enable you. In my opinion artificial barriers in games SUCK. Give opportunity - which ice does. Keep your full speed while being vertically at rest. This is a true advantage.

Let the architecture itself be a challange and add nifty tiles that allow for smoother movement - don't make the basic movement hard by adding no-go spots.

Edit: Grrr, I wonder if I'll ever write a post I don't have to edit afterwards. (Preview is for woozies. tongue)

I don't care.

25 (edited by Aquarius 2008-01-29 01:30:48)

Firing guns underwater is usually problematic, some work, some shouldn't.

Why some shouldn't? It's not like Teewars are realistic in any way. Maybe a weapon like flamethrower shouldn't, but there is no flamethrower in Teewars.