Re: Unfriendly Players

Ok, getting back to the topic. I also experienced recently some players, on ~{MS}~ server, who were not polite at all, inslulting vverybody of being noob etc. Whatever. The thing is that I kick those guys if they don't stop it. No one stops, so I kick. But sometimes some come back and crash the server by switching teams quickly over and onver again. ~{MS}~ o10 found a solution to that, so that the annoying player is not able to switch teams. But I am waiting for the ban.

Because ban sometimes seems to be the ultimate thing to do when someone isn't intelligent enough to stop insulting and whining. I read here and there that a ban feature will be added to teeworlds 0.5.0. But my question is, how will it ban people?

Using nick? They'll fake and comme back.
Using IP? A lot of people have dynamic IPs.

I have no other idea of how banning can work. Maybe MAC adress would be a good solution, but I have no idea of the possibility to use it (?). Thanks in advance for your answers smile

~{MS}~ Eve ~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://www.monkeystyle.tk
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

ctan wrote:

Ok, getting back to the topic. I also experienced recently some players, on ~{MS}~ server, who were not polite at all, inslulting vverybody of being noob etc. Whatever. The thing is that I kick those guys if they don't stop it. No one stops, so I kick. But sometimes some come back and crash the server by switching teams quickly over and onver again. ~{MS}~ o10 found a solution to that, so that the annoying player is not able to switch teams. But I am waiting for the ban.

Because ban sometimes seems to be the ultimate thing to do when someone isn't intelligent enough to stop insulting and whining. I read here and there that a ban feature will be added to teeworlds 0.5.0. But my question is, how will it ban people?

Using nick? They'll fake and comme back.
Using IP? A lot of people have dynamic IPs.

I have no other idea of how banning can work. Maybe MAC adress would be a good solution, but I have no idea of the possibility to use it (?). Thanks in advance for your answers smile

MAC addresses aren't sent through IP. The Teeworlds client would have to send them, so it would easily be faked by modifying the client or changing the MAC address (it is possible obviously).

Most bans are 10 mins and are OK. Auto-shunning flooding or team-switching players, /ignore and such are OK too. But if you really want to have someone definitely banned, that's just impossible if he has a dynamic IP.

The best guess is to ban their ID, and rely on some sort of identification for Teeworlds. As in, you would accept only registered players, registration would take at least 24h (on purpose), so when you ban a registered player, unless he already has several accounts you can be safe for 24h.

I personally think it would be a mistake to include into Teeworlds a registering/identifying logic when there are already plenty of mechanisms out there for single sign-on that give more incentive not to have several IDs. For instance, it would be possible to use XMPP IDs for identification (and keep them private just like the IP addresses).

53 (edited by Lappi 2008-10-07 15:02:57)

MAC adresses are spoofed easily as pressing a mouse button twice.
XMPP-IDs can be registered as easily as that.

I long for an optional, central database on which accounts and guilds/clans would be managed. Optional by the following means: every server can be set up individually whether only registered (or even only a list of registered) players are allowed to join.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

You can't ban a MAC, unless you are on a LAN.
The MAC is on a lower level than the IP in the OSI model, and the sender's and recipient's MAC changes for each router your data packet goes through. (hard to explain clearly x))

spl0k, aka Al`. From the HuH clan.
Noobing pwns since 01/01/1970.
TeeViewer - TeeComp

55 (edited by Magnet 2008-10-07 15:30:55)

Lappi wrote:

XMPP-IDs can be registered as easily as that.

Yes, if the realm has "open registration". But it's extremely easy to ban one realm. And all do not have open registration fortunately.

With XIDs one can hope people would want to keep only one ID to stay in touch with their contact list. A lot of people have one through Gmail.

In my opinion just KISS. Unfrienly players ? Lol who cares, just tell them to gtfo. Just ignore them, dont let them ruin your gameplay. Paying attention to them is the first wrong step. All that registration stuff seems like an overkill for me, and would bring a couple of problems related to the implementation. IMHO.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

57 (edited by Slinack 2008-10-09 02:20:43)

IMO, we don't need to tell 'bad words' to say we are discontented about something. Everyone here received education (I just don't know if they 'absorb' it) and can use it.
And... If you don't want to be owned by others, just do trainings and practise, then you could BE BETTER.

Another thing is about the ping... The biggest part of teeworlds' players (and servers) is from Europe, but it doesn't cancel the others. Some players have high pings, and it's not their fault. So, please, don't discriminate them... Everyone must have a chance to play.

If someone is upseting you, just own him and/or ignore.

-

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

But registration would rock, torch. The whole faking issue would be erased.

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

Not totally, AMN.

I would agree with accounts and registration only if we continue having our 'free name change' at any time.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Slinack wrote:

IMO, we don't need to tell 'bad words' to say we are discontented about something. Everyone here received education (I just don't know if they 'absorb' it) and can use it.
And... If you don't want to be owned by others, just do trainings and practise, then you could BE BETTER.

Another thing is about the ping... The biggest part of teeworlds' players (and servers) is from Europe, but it doesn't cancel the others. Some players have high pings, and it's not their fault. So, please, don't discriminate them... Everyone must have a chance to play.

If someone is upseting you, just own him and/or ignore.

Totally agree

I am <x|HT|x> oio BR leader of <x|HT|x>smile
Heaven Tees the best BR clan big_smile. Ally of cKz`
                            GG for all