1 (edited by Fubar 2007-08-27 10:25:47)

Topic: Unfriendly Players

I joined to today and to me suprise I found a neet little game. After a couple hours of playing though I came across an unfriendly player. It not like I asked to be insulted, she just lashed out. Also its not uncommon in alot of game to find these players they run rampid. Her name is BallistiX. We had around 5 players before she joined then complained of lag. Then a couple minute later she left. then aloft of other players did to. 2 from US joined a server I had to reduce lag after about 10 minute they left. I then join the only server with 2 people BallistX an Rocha (i think it was that name). I was greeted with a rather unfriendlyl message.

BallstiX: get the fuck out foobar you n00b.
Fubar: dont be a dick.

SO we played for about five minute when the somone ask if there was a mac version.

BallstiX: How should I know its your computer?
Fubar: If its an older mac then it ppc new ones only come with intel i think.
BallstiX: No shit fuckin sherlock.
Fubar: sry im just saying some mac people dont kow.
BallsticX: laggy n00b.
Fubar: im not laggin.
Rocha: Me either
BallstiX: 249 is the ping of a n00b
Fubar: No, its the ping of a server thats far away.
Ballstix: go play on your own fucking server.
Fubar: alright dick.

I then left kind of angry but more puzzled, left asking myself "I guess she doesn't like Americans", "Whats the point when no one is on my server". Normally these kids don't bother me, but as an growing game these "kids" can really hurt the popularity. I will continue playing but I am taking a break for a couple days, as I will return home. I posted this so those new to the game and others who are not, can be aware of this player to avoid her or simply ignore it.

Re: Unfriendly Players

This is something that is, well, hard to do anything about. You can install a profanity filter but those sucks. I got some ideas for it however, like the classical IRC /ignore smile

I agree, this is not something we can easily enforce; we just provide the game. In the words of Sony, Microsoft et al: "Game experience may change during online play."

or in Teewars case: "Game experience may change during.. erh.. play."

hey fubar,
yes this is the kind of thing to just ignore.
some people get carried away with the intensity of the game..lol
ps. my name is rochey!
,Rochey

Don't even begin to pass this story off as truth. If need be, I can retrieve the log from the server. I'm not bothered by your malicious attempt at defamation, but it truly does show the maturity of your actions. The fact that myself and Rochey seemed like we were teaming up on you does not warrant the need for complaints and blatant lies about language used. If you want to discuss it further, feel free to email me.

Teewars chat logs? Show me.

Slayer

It's hammering time!

Keep on topic, please.

This thread is about possible abuse prevention features in Teewars, not a place for settling disputes.

I wasn't teamed up on. Rochey was very nice and quite the player I must say. She/he has some skillz. Sorry about getting your name wrong too. I know yall can't physically do anything. Just more or a warning to other players that this player may lash out.

Some people just don't know how to behave, and they think they can act however they want just because they're sitting safe at home.

Only thing you can do is simply to ignore them. If they tee at you for you killing them or something, then just kill them more, it's great fun to see them whine and eventually they'll quit.

The moment you respond back and get annoyed, then they have won. Don't let them affect you.

IF you have to answer back, just answer back in a nice tone of voice. Because that'll just annoy them as they will notice what an idiot they're being (ofc they wont admit, but deeply inside they know... trust me, I've been that type, and sometimes am... makes me embarrased, but trying my best to be a nice lad online smile

If everyone does that we can minimize the amount of annoying people. It's a simply but good way of doing it, just shut them out, because it's like communicating that you don't want them to be apart of our community. Eventually they'll quit the game or they'll change behaviour. (most times anyway)

tbh, 249 IS the ping of a noob.

But according to your aparenty made up chat log, ballistix was indeed quite rude about it.

Just be nice ^^

You know how to read, right? Stay on topic, or I'll lock threads and kick butts!

::rawr::

Who the hell cares? It's a game, I insult people all the time when they kill me. I don't feel like pretending I'm mature and am not upset when someone just kicked my ass. Do whatever suits you but I like to express my discontent. Just because the graphics is cute'n'cuddly doesn't mean the game itself has to be played like you're a little happy child. It's competition after all.

I don't care.

Teetees wrote:

Who the hell cares?

I do, and I'm not alone.

Teetees wrote:

I insult people all the time when they kill me. I don't feel like pretending I'm mature and am not upset when someone just kicked my ass.

Don't brag about being immature, it's not anything to be proud about.

Teetees wrote:

Do whatever suits you but I like to express my discontent. Just because the graphics is cute'n'cuddly doesn't mean the game itself has to be played like you're a little happy child. It's competition after all.

No, it isn't really a competition, it's a game supposed to be fun.
The only time this can be called a competition is in ESL and similar tournaments, and I honestly don't think they are big fans of cursing and insults ether.

Don't be surprised if you get kicked from servers if you show a bad behavior.

Used to be very active waay back

100% agree

aka oop²

16 (edited by Teetees 2008-01-18 19:47:15)

I don't enjoy getting my ass whooped. I can live with being kicked. I'm not bragging, just stating, look up the difference.
Thing is people are behaving so unbelievable mature. Ever watched football (soccer!1)? They curse and shout because it's emotional. You give your best and fail. If you play with a little commitment this should feel like a slap in the face. Pretend you like it but I don't any many people don't. You say they are able to control themselves, I say they choke down their emotions. I can deal with being called $randomcurseword because I know I would react the same if I was pwned.

I don't care.

Interesting point. I havn´t quite thought of it that way.

But isn´t there a more polite way too express those emotions? Like saying "damn!" or "grrr" instead of insulting. The tee even has a curse emoticon too use smile.

Teetees, I don't say you are wrong, but I don't agree with you,

I agree with the part about giving your best, but not the part about suppressed feelings.
I don't like being insulted for being better then people, and I'm not rude to people with lesser skills then me just because they have less skills.

I believe in being nice, because I think it gives a better atmosphere. I don't like games where the first thing you 'll here when you die is something similar to "learn 2 play n00b!!", and for some strange reason something like that when you kill your opponents too.

Used to be very active waay back

19 (edited by Magnet 2008-01-19 04:04:15)

Back to the topic, I encountered two types of "unfriendly players".

(1) The "Heil Hitler" + insults kind. This can be indeed solved by /ignore but I feel like it could deserve harsher treatment. Maybe if a certain ratio of players ignore someone, then he could be kicked.

(2) In team game (Capture the flag in this case), team mates who prevent you from playing by grappling/hitting you/playing against the team (by systematically taking all the powerups away from the carrier for example). When you're the flag carrier (which I was), and he doesn't reply/seem to even understand what I say it's really painful. And mostly impossible to stay alive. Here I have no solution really, maybe team games could have a "vote a kick from the team" but it is not an ideal situation. Fortunately the guy just quit some time after.

As the game becomes known there will be a lot of griefers, it should be nice to think a solution early before they totally ruin it.

I´m guessing the people in the second cathegory just don´t know better. Theyr´e simply beginners and maybe they don´t know where the chatbutton is (the location isn´t obvious anymore). The concept of leaving pickups too teammates isn´t that easy too grasp when the dm-insticts of grabbing everything is still there, I know I still have trouble with that. That you very rarely see someone knowing what too do doesn´t help the learningprocess either.

Maybe there should be a guide. Or organized newbiehelpers.

I´m guessing the path too more interesting teamplay is getting together a group of players too play a whole game without switching teams on a passwordprotected server. Though a mode where strangers can join as spectators only too ask if they can take part in the next game would be nicer.

Teetees if you're giving your best because you want to win and you then let your emotions control you, then no wonder you fail. At the point where your logic and normal senses are overtaken by emotions you wont think straight in game and you'll make mistakes like attacking when you shouldn't or spamming senseless rather than making sure you get a good shot at the enemy.

Of course people can say "argg... ffs" or something, but starting to call people newbs because they get killed by them, or because those "newbs" got high ping, that's just stupid.

It IS possible to show emotions and let them out, without insulting someone else big time.

Yes, use the game's emoticons for example ;>

aka oop²

A bit of topic:
I rarerly see the ingame emotes being used.(other than the chat bubble).
Personaly I spam them (when I remember they are there) ^_^. there nothing quite lige charging in to a confrontation with curseword (or hearts ;P) over your head.

A little bit more on topic:
My point is the imgame emotes are great for expressing yourselfe in a way everybody understands. all you have to to is to get used to using them, It's a bitt of a hassle in the begginging, but after a while you spam 'em without even thinking about it.

I just had some kids run around calling people gay noobs for using the shotgun and the rocket launcher, and then asked for a screenshot when I said I killed them with the hammer too. Like they didn't remember.

Just gotta ignore the brats and remember that they're just angsty because they can't win and their mothers don't love them.

Exactely. I still flame opponents from time to time. wink

I don't care.