Topic: Solidfiles.com is shutting down?

I have received a mail from solidfiles.com (maybe not spam ^^) that they're shutting down. Could minus or someone else compile a list of all solidfiles.com links that this forum has so we can put them somewhere else?

Re: Solidfiles.com is shutting down?

Sorry, I think It is spam. The thing is, I haven't found anything else on this, neither on their homepage not on their twitter account nor anywhere else where people might discuss this. If you don't mind, want to post the mail's source code in here?

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

For what it's worth, I got the same mail.
It seems legit.

Good bye!
You are receiving this e-mail because you are an active user of Solidfiles.

After almost 10 years, the end has finally come. Due to declining revenues from advertisers, it's sadly no longer economically viable for us to keep running Solidfiles. Over the past year, we've tried to take measures to keep the site running, but it has unfortunately not been enough. On May 31, 2017 we'll be shutting down the servers for good.

Make sure to download any files that you want to keep before May 31, 2017!

For our Premium subscribers, we have cancelled all subscriptions and will be issuing partial refunds for any time remaining after May 31st.

It has been a great journey and we hope that you have enjoyed using Solidfiles for all these years.

Regards,
The Solidfiles Team

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

4 (edited by CarmineZ 2017-05-02 23:30:33)

also I, me too.

I'm just suspicious that they won't publish anything anywhere, no social media, nothing. Also with source code I meant especially the headers which document which servers the email passed before arriving

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

https://www.solidfiles.com/bye

Thanks, I didn't find that smile

using the advanced search I've only found this post: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … 80#p119880

8 (edited by Henningstone 2017-05-03 22:46:00)

To come back to heinrich's original matter from the first post:

I've quickly run spider to see what it would give, and here are the results:
https://paste.kde.org/py4or1lt5/i3j1wr

Not particularly much, and I doubt it was able to get quite everything (but likely most of it).
Sure it would be more effective if an admin just searches through the forum's saved files (if that's possible).

The final result was that it got 1557 links from a total of 1274 pages. Filtering this for .*solidfiles\..* gave me the 11 results in my paste above.

Henningstone wrote:

The final result was that it got 1557 links from a total of 1274 pages. Filtering this for .*solidfiles\..* gave me the 11 results in my paste above.

I think 1274 pages is far too few, there are approximately 10 000 topics (see the footer on the forum home page).

The results Henningstone got with his script are definitely not all of them. None of my topics are in there and I only used solidfiles for uploads. Hopefully we can get a full list of links before the end of may so we don't lose too much teeworlds history!

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

11 (edited by m!nus 2017-05-04 13:51:29)

I found about 500 posts with soldifiles links in the database. I'll try to archive those later today. I'll keep you posted.

Edit: Made some progress; will post a list of URLs later.

heinrich5991 wrote:
Henningstone wrote:

I think 1274 pages is far too few, there are approximately 10 000 topics (see the footer on the forum home page).

For anyone curious, I figured out why the script didn't work. After having made too many requests, the forum just throws 503's at me instead of giving me actual results hmm (no worries, it won't act as a DoS; it's just me who gets locked out)

m!nus wrote:

I found about 500 posts with soldifiles links in the database. I'll try to archive those later today. I'll keep you posted.

Edit: Made some progress; will post a list of URLs later.

Great to hear you can get all the links!

I have dumped all download links and images. There's also a handful of 'folders' linked which I have not dumped yet.

I've attached JSON files with the links.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon solidfiles-folders.json 1023 b, 598 downloads since 2017-05-04 

Attachment icon solidfiles-images.json 474 b, 539 downloads since 2017-05-04 

Attachment icon solidfiles.json 20.49 kb, 548 downloads since 2017-05-04 

So what's supposed to happen. As it's (not only cause of copyright) legally problematic to just re-upload stuff, is there anything we can do?

Just upload it and take it down if the author asks.

16 (edited by Deepfinder 2017-05-05 15:09:36)

Schwertspize wrote:

So what's supposed to happen. As it's (not only cause of copyright) legally problematic to just re-upload stuff, is there anything we can do?

LOL whats the problem with uploading stuff which others already uploaded to a SHAREhoster?

I will be banned if I troll again ...

There actually IS a problem with that, its called copyright. W/e just do it like heinrich said and reup it unless the author explicitly asks to take the files down, which won't be the case in most scenarios.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

18 (edited by Deepfinder 2017-05-05 19:53:18)

xush wrote:

There actually IS a problem with that, its called copyright.

LOL you mean we should report all the solidfiles files because they could hurt copyright? wtf? Read the topic dude, all the files will be deleted anyway

Deepfinder wrote:
xush wrote:

There actually IS a problem with that, its called copyright.

LOL you mean we should report all the solidfiles files because they could hurt copyright? wtf? Read the topic dude, all the files will be deleted anyway

No need for the condescending tone. Regardless if the original is going to be deleted, rehosting without permission is a copyright issue.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Regardless if the original is going to be deleted, rehosting without permission is a copyright issue

Do you have a source for this?
One doesn't need an account for uploading files on soldfiles.com, so IMO there can't be a copyright related to the uploading on a sharehoster

heinrich5991 wrote:

Just upload it and take it down if the author asks.

This.

Current status: I restructured the file system layout of the dumped files and am currently fetching the files from the folders. Seems like it'll take a while; some of those folders are quite big and solidfiles likes to hang and/or reset connections.

Once everything is downloaded I'll throw it on downloads.teeworlds.com and do some SQL-query magic to replace all links. If anyone is interested I can also share the scripts I wrote.

Deepfinder wrote:

IMO there can't be a copyright related to the uploading on a sharehoster

Luckily this is not about opinions it is about facts and laws.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

m!nus wrote:

Once everything is downloaded I''ll throw it on downloads.teeworlds.com and do some SQL-query magic to replace all links. If anyone is interested I can also share the scripts I wrote.

I'm glad we have a magician on board :)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

xush wrote:
Deepfinder wrote:

IMO there can't be a copyright related to the uploading on a sharehoster

Luckily this is not about opinions it is about facts and laws.

So then show me a source for your "facts and laws"!

25 (edited by m!nus 2017-05-06 18:25:48)

I finished downloading all files, images and folders and put them up on https://downloads.teeworlds.com/solidfiles.com/.
It's about 3k files weighing roughly 2GiB. Each file is accompanied by a file named meta.json containing a bit of metadata from Solidfiles.
I'll be updating all forums posts with the mirrored links shortly.

If there's a problem with any of the files, legal or otherwise, drop me an email at minus@teeworlds.com.

Edit: All forum posts that had working Solidfiles links were updated to point to our mirror. Note that some used some kind of thumbnail image or download button image from Solidfiles that did not work anymore; those links have not been changed, as well as all other non-working links.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon solidfiles.py 6.95 kb, 1043 downloads since 2017-05-07