Topic: [TILESET] Counterstrike style

Hey there,

I played Siile's awesome teestrike mod and I liked it that much that I've decided to create a custom tileset.

The graphics were partly drawn in the past years and I've decided not to release them as official graphics as they do not meet the simpleness of the other teestyle tilesets. Far too complex to tile, but city-mod players will prolly love it.

If you wanna see the tiles in action play the CSTT mod. Do it. Really! I mean it. Do it now!

Here they are

Can someone please be so kind and upload these graphics to his webspace? So I could hotlink it and people need not to rename it? Many thx in advance. edit: thx heinrich

http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/landil/mapres/crates.png crates
http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/landil/mapres/teestrike.png teestrike
http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/landil/mapres/unhookables.png unhookables

http://i.solidfiles.net/581decce10.png screenshot

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Re: [TILESET] Counterstrike style

This turned out stunning! It really has some classic CS touches, very well done Landil! smile

Not entirely sure whether you've seen my response on IRC, but here's the graphics you requested: http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/landil/mapres/

Feel free to delete my reply.

that map looks gawd as hell, you should also post that big_smile

privet

amazing big_smile
agree @ netherland

good job as always!

Landil wrote:

...I've decided not to release them as official graphics as they do not meet the simpleness of the other teestyle tilesets. Far too complex to tile, but city-mod players will prolly love it.

I don't see how these are too complex?  Because of the wood grain?  That does not make since as the default hammer has good grain as well as desert doodad fence.  Because the bricks have four shades of color and not tree?  The unhookables look fine.  I think the buildings are lacking details but they are supposed to be far in the background.

So why is this not Teeish?  I think they look fantastic and have just the right amount of detail to be Teeish.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

android272 wrote:
Landil wrote:

...Far too complex to tile, but city-mod players will prolly love it.

I don't see how these are too complex?  ...
So why is this not Teeish?  I think they look fantastic and have just the right amount of detail to be Teeish.

Too complex to _tile_. Go and try to make a nice looking map with the tileset, or make a rule set for the automapper. Then you will see. The graphics itself predominantly follow the teestyle rules.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Oh. So to make it into TeeWorlds tile sets have to aoutmap well?  Just for reference for my own work.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

They have to be easy and simple to tile

I agree that if it can be "tiled" it should be and the easier the better.  but this should not be excluded because it can't easily be auto mapped.  Some things should be automaped and somethings should be designed by hand.  I think that the bricks used for the background could easily be tiled as well as the carpet(I think thats what the red and blue things are?).

Question is "tiled" and "automapper" synonymous in this case or is tiling something the action of makeing an automapper and tiled the past tense of a tileset being automapped?

Players are free to tile and design by hand, the automapper is just a Helper in order to speed up the map designing process.
You can compare this tileset with the official grass_tileset to notice why it is too complex to tile.

13 (edited by android272 2015-09-11 23:53:32)

Yes I understand this. I have been working on making a new grass_tileset and it is quite hard. Lots of variables you have to consider.  My question is Why not release this as an official non automapped tileset?  Check out jungle_main this one is really freaking complex too, did not stop the devs from adding it as an official tileset.

android272 wrote:

Why not release this as an official non automapped tileset?

Ehh.. because this is "Counterstrike" and not "Teeworlds".

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Deepfinder wrote:
android272 wrote:

Why not release this as an official non automapped tileset?

Ehh.. because this is "Counterstrike" and not "Teeworlds".

Because Tees totally don't make square buildings in the desert or have really awesome square boxes and the players all totally know the name of the tileset that was used to make a map... "wait this is not Teewords this is counterstrike what a rip off, this game sucks"... No they are going to think how freaking amazing this map looks ahh crap I just died.

16 (edited by Landil 2015-09-13 19:25:45)

Okay okay. Let's put it in a nutshell:
Graphics: 4 out of 5 teestyle points
Tile-ability 1 out of 5 points --> no chance to get official.
Counter strike style: Of course it is _inspired_ by counter strike. But the grass tileset is heavily inspired by super mario, too. The graphics look fine, so download them, map, play and have fun.

edit: slightly edited to make it more readable

What about generic_unhookable, jungle_unhookables, and winter_main? winter_main is the only one of these official tilesets that have an automapper yet only half of the tileset is actually tile-able.  If you want to use most of this tileset you have to get your base down and then add some of the larger snow piles your self and from there you can not auto map again or it will mess the hole thing up.  Why are these in the official tilesets when they are hard to tile or automap themselves? Should we take this tileset out?  No! Well...  I think it could have been better orgainized but that is beside the point.

android272 wrote:

What about generic_unhookable, jungle_unhookables, and winter_main? winter_main is the only one of these official tilesets that have an automapper yet only half of the tileset is actually tile-able.  If you want to use most of this tileset you have to get your base down and then add some of the larger snow piles your self and from there you can not auto map again or it will mess the hole thing up.  Why are these in the official tilesets when they are hard to tile or automap themselves? Should we take this tileset out?  No! Well...  I think it could have been better orgainized but that is beside the point.

To answer your questions: Tile snow piles as doodads. Probably this could be fixed with an automapper rule in (0.7). The snow piles were originally planned to be on the doodad tileset, but we do not have any space left on it so we placed it on the main tileset.

Regarding generic_unhookable and jungle_unhookables. One could easily create a ruleset for the automapper for these tilesets, but not for the teestrike one.

To NOT put it in a nut shell:
Most of the tilesets already have an _basic_ automapper ruleset. It's a feature which needs some love and it is not very intuitive if you have to create a ruleset. Thus AFAIK the automapper will be changed with 0.7 (Honestly I do not know how it will be changed, except that there will be a doodads automapper. Am I right?).

To make a tileset official there does not have to be an automap rule. But for all of the current tiles there could be a ruleset for automapping, because they are easy tileable. ALL of them have _one_ basic tile with which you can autofill the platforms. The tilesets I posted (except the crates) do have 2 base tiles. The stones consist of 2 tiles (left + right). The brighter ones are supposed to be at the outside of a platform, which makes it hard to tile manually and really hard to create a ruleset for automapping. And even the unhookables have two base tiles as they alternate regarding the rows. Look at them and do some tiling! It's not intuitive, try to tile a house which uses several different stones. It's a pain in the ass. I do not want complex tilesets become official (even if they look good) as we stick to the "keep it simple stupid" rule. If it is not simple we won't use it. That's it. No need to discuss it any further. If people like the tileset they can use it as a community tileset.

Besides we've discussed your idea of reorganizing the tilesets some years, but there are several issues.
1. compatibility break (1000s of maps won't be compatible then)
2. Tilesets do have a different tile structure, e.g. the desert tileset uses orange and yellow sand tiles. There are several more options for standard tiles in the jungle tileset. Where should we put those?
3. Need of new tiles --> lack of space on the tilesets