1 (edited by android272 2015-09-06 02:51:42)

Topic: Revamp automappers

So I come from a background of playing with RPG Maker 2003, in fact its about all I did back in middle school. In RPG Maker there were these special blocks that would change dynamically depending on what was placed around it.  Here are some examples of how this would look in TeeWorlds.

Animated_Advanced_Mapper_1
Animated_Advanced_Mapper_2
Animated_Advanced_Mapper_3
Animated_Advanced_Mapper_4

This will make map making much easier as you will not spend as much time choosing blocks from the mapper section. Below are some Mappers that I have made that displays pretty much (as far as i know) every possible situation a block could be in. If you see one I missed please let me know.

Advanced_Mapper

This is how it would work. Every time you place a block down TeeWorlds would evaluate what is next to it and then choose which mapper to place in that square. Below is how each block is selected. 0 represents air, 1 represents the current block selected eg. grass, 2 represents any other mapper, and for x it does not matter what block is placed here other than air.

Advanced_Mapper_Explained

I believe that this will take the bulk of the work out of map making.  Please if you see any flaws or ways to improve this system speak up.

once again I forgot to upload the source files. Here you go.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7y5FM … sp=sharing

________________________________________________________________________________
License: Creative Commons License - Attribution - Commercial use - Share Alike (CC BY 4.0)
TL;DR

CAN:                             CANNOT:            MUST:
Commercial Use          Sublicense         Give Credit
Distribute                                                  Include Copyright
Modify                                                       State Changes
Rename

Note: I don't care too much about giving me credit or that you state changes as much as this copy right must stay with what ever is copied or modified.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Re: Revamp automappers

You know about the automapper, right?

How to database by FFanta: http://puu.sh/jdPVk/fa37a95ac2.png

I really like the idea and your effort, but I think - as Kompl.exe already said - the automapper pretty much makes this obsolete.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

JonastheRoman wrote:

I really like the idea and your effort, but I think - as Kompl.exe already said - the automapper pretty much makes this obsolete.

Not at all! There's many positions that the standard tile sets haven't covered but he has! Additionally he wants to make the automapper automatic (?) which would make it a bit more user-friendly I suppose.

5 (edited by Savander 2015-08-13 11:29:55)

It's good in my opinion. If you want to use more details than automapper offer, it's good for you! wink
Like the idea! Automapper doesn't have anything to this. You always can make automapper script for those tiles.

Btw. i really like the idea with stone + grass on one tile ! Loooks pretty good!

I found the automapper lagging exactly the feature to only affect the stuff youre currently working on instead of everything. If you want to give your map some individual design at the end with adding e.g. bones manually at free tiles etc. but later want to change an other part structurally or add something (using automapper subsequently), all the design changes are gone without chance of getting them back (a undo feature is what we really need btw). I found this happening often enough to be annoying. Only solution was to build that part in an other layer, or save the current one there and merge them later manually.
Your idea is very nice and would get rid of that problem.

Good points, now I think this should become a thing. ^^

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Kompl.exe wrote:

You know about the automapper, right?

I did not know that this was already a feature.  This is good as the work is already half way done.

heinrich5991 wrote:
JonastheRoman wrote:

Not at all! There's many positions that the standard tile sets haven't covered but he has! Additionally he wants to make the automapper automatic (?) which would make it a bit more user-friendly I suppose.

Yes I think it would be a lot better if this automapper was... automatic..  This would be much more user friendly as when you select grass and place it on the map you would emeditly get feedback as to how your map would look.  Plus the automap feature is currently somewhat hidden.

Savander wrote:

It's good in my opinion. If you want to use more details than automapper offer, it's good for you! wink
Like the idea! Automapper doesn't have anything to this. You always can make automapper script for those tiles.

Btw. i really like the idea with stone + grass on one tile ! Loooks pretty good!

would you happen to know how I would add this script? I could work on a script to use this format. 

also glad you noticed the stone + grass combination.  I don't know how this will look in the real world but I think it might look a lot better as grass, sand, and snow don't just stop when there is a brick next to it.

The only thing that this feature does not salve and actually would take away from the current automapper is situations like the jungle maps.   Something I really liked from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83kMsvUnfY video was that every time he selected auto map in the jungle_main the bricks changed.  I intentionally left this out because I was not sure how to make it so that the bricks are random.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

android272 wrote:

would you happen to know how I would add this script? I could work on a script to use this format.

Here's the tutorial by DoNe! smile
http://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=581

Savander wrote:
android272 wrote:

Here's the tutorial by DoNe! smile
http://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=581

Thank you smile

So I went to test my first automapper script and I followed the video [1] (I think) that I linked before.  I selected the tile set I wanted and made a square on some layer. But when I went to right click on the layer I did not see auto mapper in the list.  Is this feature not available in version 0.6.2+dfsg?  I downloaded teeworlds from the ubuntu software center.  Is there something I am missing?

[1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83kMsvUnfY

I think that this tutorial explains automappers much better.
https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8886

android272 wrote:

This link says that automappers are going to XML. Is this still the case? The mappers in my data file still show the old format. I just don't want to waste time making a mapper script in the wrong format.

For 0.6 it's still the same android smile Don't know whether it'll be changed. ^^ But now, this tutorial is up-to-date wink

How then do I test this? When I did what the guy in the youtube video I posted I did not see any automappers.

The same name as mapres -> put this automapper into data/editor with ".rules" extension.

In this rules file, you should to name automapper, eg. "[Grass]", below this your script

Savander wrote:

The same name as mapres -> put this automapper into data/editor with ".rules" extension.

In this rules file, you should to name automapper, eg. "[Grass]", below this your script

Thanks turns out my mapper was named " Grass.png" and the auto mapper rule was named "grass.rule".  Also now that it is working I noticed that my mappers are a bit too big. I'll need to scale them down a bit. Once I have them they way I like them I'll repost my course file.

android272 wrote:
android272 wrote:

This link says that automappers are going to XML. Is this still the case? The mappers in my data file still show the old format. I just don't want to waste time making a mapper script in the wrong format.

I'm fairly certain that LordSkelethom's pull request has been accepted and merged by Oy, but I can't remember if it's set for 0.7 milestone or if it's already included.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
android272 wrote:
android272 wrote:

I'm fairly certain that LordSkelethom's pull request has been accepted and merged by Oy, but I can't remember if it's set for 0.7 milestone or if it's already included.

Is there any documentation on this?  These tutorials are great but they don't say everything.  for example I did not know that Index 0 has to be empty. Teeworlds cuts anything that is in index 0 out of the mapper.  when I hold space to reveal the mapper(tileset is a much better name by the way) I see that the first tile is cut out.

also I don't know what size these tiles should be? I have each tile at 64x64 but when I go into the map editor I get tiles that are skewed a bit.

android272 wrote:
Dune wrote:
android272 wrote:

Is there any documentation on this?  These tutorials are great but they don't say everything.  for example I did not know that Index 0 has to be empty. Teeworlds cuts anything that is in index 0 out of the mapper.  when I hold space to reveal the mapper(tileset is a much better name by the way) I see that the first tile is cut out.

also I don't know what size these tiles should be? I have each tile at 64x64 but when I go into the map editor I get tiles that are skewed a bit.

There was but I think it got taken down, unfortunately. I'll look for that.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
android272 wrote:
Dune wrote:

There was but I think it got taken down, unfortunately. I'll look for that.

Thank you big_smile

android272 wrote:

I think each tile needs to be 60x60, and you need to apply the tileset_borderadd tool to the tileset before it can be used in Teeworlds.

heinrich5991 wrote:
android272 wrote:

I think each tile needs to be 60x60, and you need to apply the tileset_borderadd tool to the tileset before it can be used in Teeworlds.

Isn't that 64x64?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Tileset_borderadd, adds 2 extra pixels, so it should be 60x60 (centered) on 64x64 block

Savander wrote:

Tileset_borderadd, adds 2 extra pixels, so it should be 60x60 (centered) on 64x64 block

It seems there is some confusion to what the tools do and what they should do. I think I might have coded the new tools incorrectly, providing that tileset_borderfix does the correct thing. Going over tileset_borderfix, my conclusion is that this tool drops the 17th and 49th column of each tile and duplicates the first and last one instead.

That means that the tileset_borderadd tool should take 62x62 tiles, but actually takes 60x60 tiles and triples the first and the last row and column of each tile.

So the right way to go is (probably, can someone double-check the dimensions?) to produce 62x62 tiles. Someone needs to fix tileset_borderadd and then it can be applied to the tileset.