301 (edited by Fifi 2015-08-11 11:14:44)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Oblique. wrote:

Ingame sounds are done. If there are problems, let me know.
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/odvmulja … Sound2.mp4
By the way, I talked with Kirby ingame, and he says he's too busy to be able to work on the trailer.
I can modify the credits as soon as I know how to credit the sounds from Landil's song. It's best if all credits could be included in some sort of description instead of directly in the trailer.

Bugs which I've found:
- The hook, jump, flag capture (and probably other flag-related ones) and movement sounds are missing. sad
- The grenade explosion sound from the 0:39 rocketjump is missing too.
- The sound is also a bit unsynchronized (maybe the slow-motion part at 0:30 could help fixing it).

The blue fade-out after the ninja goes right at the very end (in 2:57) also doesn't look very good, I would just remove it.

Apart from that, great work. ^^ And the ninja from the end is amazing. :3

1) Those were purposefully omitted so as not to interfere too much with the song.
2) It's a double jump, so no sound.
3) Slow motion parts have slow motion audio, recorded by reducing the speed in the demo player. I've adjusted the timing a bit in the new version.

As for the blue fade-out thing, I don't see what's wrong with it. I feel like it brings closure to the video, because all the other transitions are just simple dissolve transitions. It's supposed to be a TV blinking off or something. If you have more interesting white-black transitions/animations, then I'll be happy to try it out.

I fixed a couple of parts, and here's the updated version:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/ksiiprv1 … Sound6.mp4

We still need somebody to merge rest of the sound with the video and to deal with the slow motion effects.

A is for Apple.

I think the blue fade-out looks really fine and definitely reminds me of a TV blinking off

Not Luck, Just Magic.

304 (edited by IcyPRO 2015-08-12 02:22:38)

Why are the damage sound effects in the initial part of the video lower pitched? Then they get to normal.

Edit:
Idk if this is too late to say, but usually in trailers after finishing of showing the building process in level editor, they show a scene of it directly in the game. It satisfy the curiosity of the watcher. Even 3 seconds would be enough.

IcyPRO wrote:

Why are the damage sound effects in the initial part of the video lower pitched? Then they get to normal.

I have no idea. I've tried to record it about 3 times now.

A is for Apple.

License wrote:

Song "jungle ninja" by Landil (Creative Commons BC-BY-SA - non commercial, attribution, share-alike)

"Smooth Jungle Sounds" by nachoseli from wild-life.ambient-mixer.com/

Used sounds:
==freesound.org (Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License)==
Cicadas in Rainforest by Acclivity
Flying fox colony by digifishmusic
Insect Ambience 2
frog_concert_and_crickets by Glaneur de sons
Meadow Ambience by RareSound
Exotic Bird d and Gibbon by Soundbytez

==Soundsnap.com license==
delay tropical birds by dj zentao

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

307 (edited by Fifi 2015-08-13 22:46:00)

Oblique. wrote:

1) Those were purposefully omitted so as not to interfere too much with the song.

Hmm, but that doesn't show viewers the whole picture. It feels a bit empty and less cute without this sounds. tongue

Oblique. wrote:

As for the blue fade-out thing, I don't see what's wrong with it. I feel like it brings closure to the video, because all the other transitions are just simple dissolve transitions. It's supposed to be a TV blinking off or something. If you have more interesting white-black transitions/animations, then I'll be happy to try it out.

Hmm, maybe I described it incorrectly. The fade-out is not bad itself, but it just doesn't fit the overall modern style of the trailer. Or maybe it's just me who sees it this way.

Teeworlds on steam would be pretty fucking sick, totally feeling the nostalgia right now.

I decided to change the "Create Your Own Maps" and "Host Your Own Server" parts, after watching the way Savander did it in his video (thanks, and well done). See how you like it, and once again, tell me if there are any problems.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/rjtyyh4c … Rework.mkv

Oh, and I forgot to fix the credits. I'll do that soon, hopefully.

A is for Apple.

Oblique. wrote:

I decided to change the "Create Your Own Maps" and "Host Your Own Server" parts, after watching the way Savander did it in his video (thanks, and well done). See how you like it, and once again, tell me if there are any problems.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/rjtyyh4c … Rework.mkv

Oh, and I forgot to fix the credits. I'll do that soon, hopefully.

I guess the only problems I've noticed are the missing sound somewhere in 0:09-0:11 and the fact, that it feels a bit like the sound effects were placed into the video later.

Fifi wrote:

I guess the only problems I've noticed are the missing sound somewhere in 0:09-0:11 and the fact, that it feels a bit like the sound effects were placed into the video later

Weird, I have sound at 0:09-0:11. And sorry, the ingame sounds are about as good as they get. We'll see how it sounds with the music (that is, if somebody decides to do it).

A is for Apple.

Landil is now included in the credits (license and everything).

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/4ab9ck8c … redits.mkv

A is for Apple.

Preview for everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmBjSKGyaA
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/watch/pahgtk46 … -08-17.mp4

Since we have a trailer now, we could probably release Teeworlds on Steam. smile

315 (edited by mechodownload 2015-08-18 18:47:22)

Hello.

I know I have no say in whatever's been going on now because I haven't been part of the community for a while but I thought I'd make a few suggestions that could be implemented before the game is released on Steam.

I've pushed for Steam integration in the past however adding a game to Steam only boosts the playerbase temporarily.
  Proper infrastructure to introduce people to the game to maximize adoption of new players and then to keep players interested for as long as possible. If you don't, you will end up like Quake Live: http://steamcharts.com/app/282440#All where the long term benefit of adding the game to Steam does not exist. Teeworld's fares better than Quake gameplay and graphics wise by being easier and more appealing to get into, but has a huge disadvantage of not being advertised at all outside of Steam.

How to keep as many short-term players as possible?
Here we want to maximize the number of people that play for a few days and don't just log in and log out. Here are a few suggestions in the order of time allocation needed:

- (misc) Disable that menu music on default tongue (is it still in?)
- (misc) Turn dynacam off. It makes some people sick...
- Have an easy way to access tutorials. Tutorials include how to play, relevant game types, weapons, relevant mods and how they work, map editor, server hosting, downloading and installing custom skins, etc.
- Contact server hosters and to make a few "official" steam launch servers (EU, NA, BR, etc). Auto favourite them if possible.
- Find a way to keep pub stomping to a minimum (Quake tried something like that by giving a player a full weapon loadup on respawn)
- Have a one button server hoster that will load a default server with votes that will allow you to change gametype and settings. (instead of opening a prompt for an unspecified file, which requires knowledge of what it wants from you, what the server settings are and/or that you can load the default settings by loading a random file)
- Official Teeworlds youtube channel with information + more tutorials. How to move properly, capabilities of grapple launcher, basic grenade techs. 

How to keep as many long term players as possible?
People usually play a game for an extended period of time (more than a year) for the social aspect and for competition (see Super Smash Bros. Melee and League of Legends). If people are as excited as I am about the Steam addition, they may want to work harder to help Teeworlds keep as many players as possible. I'm not sure exactly how to foster a community but here are some suggestions anyways... I think steam has a place to advertise events so...
- Advertise voice chat groups and communities (skype? team speak?)
- Somehow encourage creation of clans regardless of level of skill. [GreenNoob] anyone?
- Regularly scheduled / advertised capgames, clan wars, and tournaments.: Just as a note, I wish this was more of a thing. It really is less commitment to say, "I have a game at 5pm I should play" over logging in and hoping enough players will join for a game.
- Have community leaders / established clans to create mid-low level clans for recruiting new players.
- Seeing how the playerbase is so small, having a community leader to step up to be the TO (Tournament organizer) would be amazing for organizing tournaments and leagues for clans. A game like smash bros survived because people stepped up to create something concrete the community could latch on to. (Tournament weeklies/ monthlies)

How to create long term players that would not otherwise exist?
Many players will not stay long enough to become a long term competitive player because they get stomped in a public serve, feel bad, and do not have the competitive drive to start from the bottom to work their way up. You need to facilitate enjoyment for the people with a more casual mindset, and get them to play long enough to get to an intermediate level. My suggestions would be to use a level up system and achievements (see CoD), but I believe no-one would be up for the task for this one.. The prestige system is silly to a competitive player, but works wonders for extending the longevity of the game for casual players.

Honestly, I am cynical about the game's survival no matter what we do but imagining what could be makes me extremely excited. Regardless, I'll be around the help out new players and hope enough stay so we can enjoy this game for much longer. Good luck!

EDIT: I have just looked at past posts and a lot of these ideas have been mentioned already. I have a one more idea so I'm not being redundant. smile (they do require a lot more time investment however)

For keeping short term and mid term players, you might want an offline mode as Nilaya said previously so less experienced players can grind something out and improve on their own. You could have a pseudo offline single-player mode where you use the race gametype to create maps with a clear objective and with a linear increase in difficulty. Examples could be from being a simple obstacle course, to capping the flag/ finishing a race below a certain time. The ideal new next mod for this idea would be a Break the Targets sort of gametype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQ94WeXm6g which could introduce a huge amount of depth to the potential single player gametype with the movement and weapon options used in teeworlds.

316 (edited by Fifi 2015-08-19 00:22:13)

heinrich5991 wrote:

Since we have a trailer now, we could probably release Teeworlds on Steam. smile

Great work. :3 I would only change the "open source" label to "open source\naddictive mods" ('\n' = new line), because people may not understand that being open source means huge possibilities of modding.

heinrich5991 wrote:

Just DO IT.

Btw. What will happen with Obligue trailer? He did a lot of work and i think his trailer should be involved too, but can be added later

karades wrote:

Btw. What will happen with Obligue trailer? He did a lot of work and i think his trailer should be involved too, but can be added later

Sure. It can and will be added!

319 (edited by Oblique. 2015-08-18 23:42:07)

karades wrote:

Nobody wants to do the sound, and it's not half as good as Savander's.
So don't add mine, it's unfinished, and it's weird having two videos.

A is for Apple.

@mechodownload: Lot's of important ideas there, though I don't agree on everything and I am sure many people here won't as well.
But things like tutorials (perhaps as a pseudo-single-player), official channel, regular tournaments, automatic server hoster, advertised groups, official, bookmarked servers etc. would be surely beneficial to Teeworlds.
The thing is, there have to be people doing this stuff, which is always hard without full-time devs, you know.

The two points about disabling the menu music and the dynamic camera by default should be introduced though, imo.

@Oblique: I don't think it's weird to have your trailer added, because many games feature multiple trailers on their Steam page. wink You are right about the sound, though.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Generally, don't know why you recorded video without sounds? You should record it in production, not adding it in post production

heinrich5991 wrote:
karades wrote:

Sure. It can and will be added!

It could possibly replace the index page trailer?

privet

Netherland wrote:

It could possibly replace the index page trailer?

I suppose you're talking about the teeworlds.com homepage – yes, I think this trailer should be replaced.

324 (edited by Oblique. 2015-08-20 02:52:38)

I tried putting the sound onto the video.
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/7xngxu36 … lSound.mkv

EDIT: Fixed some things.
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/dznkaxfx … lSound.mkv

A is for Apple.

it's not bad, but I must truly say that the other one should become the official trailer.

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds