Re: "LaserBeam" as aiming device

An official cheat is no longer a cheat. The question 'Is X a cheat?' should not even be raised while discussing the question 'Should X be official?'. For example, if someone asks for an aimbot to be included in the official client, then the idea could be rejected because it kills the point of aiming, which is an essential part of the game. Rejecting it just because it is a cheat is a flawed reasoning that just happens to get us to the correct conclusion in this single case. But following the same reasoning, we would end up rejecting any gameplay improvement, because a gameplay improvement is basically a cheat.

Now, if we want to reject the idea of an aim line based on a reasonable logic, we need to find an essential part of the game that the aim line kills. What point does it kill? Well, the point of not knowing where your weapon points. I don't see any fun in figuring out where I am aiming in a crowded scene with many distracting moving things. Just as I don't see any fun in giving both teams of CTF the same color, where I have to figure out a player's team based on his name. Thankfully, this limitation is just an illustration and doesn't exist.

Meuhmeuhmeuh xD

I want to say, using this laser device for aiming in pvp server is more a disadvantage than an advantage cause for other player that's can see it, it make you more predictable and improve reaction time and shoot aim since other players can see where u are before you see them. I see often people using it on save server. So in pvp, a feature that's dont really make you aim better cause more you focused on the laser, less you are on your environnement and other player and make you an easy target to kill is not really a cheat. ^^

Like it's already been mentioned, the aim line was intended for ddrace for precision hooking. Less so for combat type games.

A is for Apple.

amulus wrote:

I want to say, using this laser device for aiming in pvp server is more a disadvantage than an advantage cause for other player that's can see it, it make you more predictable and improve reaction time and shoot aim since other players can see where u are before you see them. I see often people using it on save server. So in pvp, a feature that's dont really make you aim better cause more you focused on the laser, less you are on your environnement and other player and make you an easy target to kill is not really a cheat. ^^

Sure. tongue

http://ninslash.com/img/lolsure.png

When it's a client-side mod it's not visible to other players.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

When it's a client-side mod it's not visible to other players.

I think DDNet is an exception. For some reason, you are able to see other player's aim lines. It's kind of odd.

A is for Apple.

32 (edited by rand() 2015-06-17 16:18:44)

A modded client can draw aim line of each tee snice it's modded ^^
A modded client don't interfere with other client afaik smile

33 (edited by KChris 2017-08-13 00:07:39)

-deleted-

Lazy dev