Topic: "LaserBeam" as aiming device

Hello,

coincidentally I discovered this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2241&v=LwtoYliU24g

At 26:45 you can see a player called "Gridwyn" with "monkey-skin" having a constant laser as an aiming device.

I just got the impulse to try this out for instagib. However, I'm don't know how to turn that thing on.

I imagine it could be some special feature of the ddrace-client ( http://ddnet.tw/downloads/ ) so I downloaded the client.
...apparently Norton (Symantec) considers the client to be a threat (automatically removed it). I'm not really eager to put something like that on my drive.

Therefore I'd like to know if there is any possibility to use this constant "laser-beam" without the ddrace-client?!

(In case there isn't, I think it should definitely be included into the standard client.)

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Baus

Re: "LaserBeam" as aiming device

Hi

I added something similar to my client some time ago:
https://youtu.be/LdWekOWaWkQ

Gives better feel to aiming IMO.

/Siile

This is not in the standard Teeworlds, and I dislike this feature as it's on the edge of giving an unfair advantage to players.
It's a bit unclear though, you'll have to find a client modification that has implemented it.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

That feature was originally made for HClient and then added to DDNET.
I can't recommend HClient thought, since it's really buggy... Or it used to be. I gave up on it. Also, DDNET is Open S. so I find it hard to believe it has any danger on it. Probably Norton does not have enough information about the app?

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo, can you report all bugs that you found on H-Client? now im working to fix all them...
Please use the H-Client post or send me a private message. Thanks!... too few people report me bugs and i can't test all in all circumstances smile

6 (edited by baus 2015-06-13 10:17:07)

Thanks for your answers.

And what do I have to do in the ddnet-client to turn that constant laser on?

Edit:

@ dune: I dont see why one wouldn't incldue it in the standard client.
The only reason to even consider putting it anywhere near cheating is because it isn't in the original client. Since you can't stop people from using it the answer clearly has to be to integrate it into the standard client!

The same fallacious reasoning can be done for aimbots. Since you can't stop people from using it the answer clearly has to be to integrate it into the standard client!
No. It's unteeish and ugly imo.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

8 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2015-06-13 16:53:12)

Press and hold the hookcoll (laserbeam thingie) and at the same time press ESC, then release the hookcoll key and press ESC again. Tadan!

- Günther Branlutte

9 (edited by baus 2015-06-13 14:24:22)

Dune wrote:

The same fallacious reasoning can be done for aimbots. Since you can't stop people from using it the answer clearly has to be to integrate it into the standard client!
No. It's unteeish and ugly imo.

Wow, it's astonishing that you do not seem to be aware of how wrong that is.

An aimbot takes away the idea of playing a game. The player doesn't have to aim anymore, it is done by a bot.

Seriously, I'm shocked by the stupidity of this comparison.

A constant laser-beam as an aiming DEVICE on the other hand simply helps you to know where youre gun is pointed. The HUGE difference is that the laser-beam actually doesn't give you any information you didn't have before (and of course, it DOESN'T FRIGGIN' AIM FOR YOU, lol) - there is a crosshairs already. The constant laser-beam simply makes it EASIER for your EYES to see where the gun is pointed. Teeworlds is about competition like nearly every other game. However, I don't think the creators had in mind to see the people with the best eyesight winning. Now, of course im exaggerating. Still, the argument remains: The constant laser-beam doesn't affect the real competitive aspects of teeworlds.

Not wanting a constant laser-beam as an aiming device is like taking the speedometers out of racing cars claiming that it is part of the skill to "estimate" how fast you're going. That's stupid! Why? Because the competitiveness of racing isn't about estimating your speed. It's about your actual racing skills - just like teeworlds isn't about making it as hard as possible to aim. No, teeworlds is about being able to hit your opponent, moving fast across the map etc.

Edit:
@Heroiamarelo: Could you elaborate, please? What's the "lasercoll"? What's the "hookcoll key"?

10 (edited by Oblique. 2015-06-13 15:25:31)

I must say that I agree with Dune. If you want to use it, of course nobody can stop you. Just don't demand that it be implemented into the standard client and shit on Dune for disagreeing with you.

Heroi is just telling you how to make the laser beam show up constantly without you having to constantly hold down the bind key.

A is for Apple.

Sigh. The point is not the bad it does, it's just your arguments for why it's ok to have clients giving advantages that seem fallacious to me.
If you want to have a discussion, cut the insulting tone away.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

12 (edited by baus 2015-06-13 22:00:24)

Dune wrote:

Sigh. The point is not the bad it does, it's just your arguments for why it's ok to have clients giving advantages that seem fallacious to me.
If you want to have a discussion, cut the insulting tone away.

My argument was perfectly fine.

The problem is your oversimplificating logic that you apparently consider to be "clever".

Basically I explained my opinion about there not being any reason at all to consider the constant laser-beam anything even near a cheat.

Since you seemed to have a different view, I wrote "the ONLY reason to even consider putting it anywhere near cheating" was that it hasn't been included in the standard client.

What's so hard about understanding the word "only" ?

constant laser-beam ---> The ONLY argument to consider it ANYWHERE NEAR cheating (it still isn't cheating...) would be that some clients have it, others don't. Therefore not every player knows about it, not every player can use it.

aimbot ---> BESIDES not every player being able to use it, the one and most important criteria for cheating applies here: AIMBOTTING NEGATES THE SKILL TO AIM ITSELF. Therefore it reduces the game nearly to absurdity. ("Nearly" because you still have certain other skills that are important. ---> A game like Moorhuhn/crazy chicken would indeed be reduced to total absurdity as there is no other aspect about the game than aiming.)

Because of this essential difference your cheap strawman does not work at all. The sentence "Since you can't stop people from using it the answer clearly has to be to integrate it into the standard client!" only applied to the constant laser-beam. You tried to generalize it in my name by using it for aimbots ---> oversimplification and straw man.

Oh, also I don't see what your problem with my first comment is. I did not insult you as a person once. If you can't deal with people calling one of your comparisons "stupid" (with explanation of course) then maybe you shouldn't participate in discussions at all.

Oblique. wrote:

I must say that I agree with Dune. If you want to use it, of course nobody can stop you. Just don't demand that it be implemented into the standard client and shit on Dune for disagreeing with you.

1. In contrast to Dune I actually try to give arguments for my claims. Dune on the other hand just wants to find (non-existent) mistakes in other people's arguments. Even if he found any, it still wouldn't support his point. At the very best it would make it an argumentative draw. The only "argument" Dune thought of himself is that a constant laser-beam is "unteeish and ugly". Wow.

2. What is your definition of "shitting on another person"? As already mentioned, I did not insult Dune once.

baus wrote:

The problem is your oversimplificating logic that you apparently consider to be "clever".
Oh, also I don't see what your problem with my first comment is. I did not insult you as a person once. If you can't deal with people calling one of your comparisons "stupid" (with explanation of course) then maybe you shouldn't participate in discussions at all.

This is the condescending/insulting tone I'm talking about. That's what Oblique means with "shitting on a person". Calm down.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

14 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2015-06-13 22:26:20)

baus wrote:

[The only "argument" Dune thought of himself is that a constant laser-beam is "unteeish and ugly". Wow.

A pretty good point if you ask me. More a less at least...

I would find it useful to have a hookline on the original vanilla game. It's really useful for new players that do not know how to master the aiming or terrible players like me.
I mean... New players do not know that there is a "unofficial client that supports a hookcoll" line. They don't even know what a "client" is.

Edit, on my last post on this topic, "hookcoll" is the command that activates the line (not really the name of the command but how I'm treating it on here)
Press the "hookcoll" means 'Press the key that enables the aiming line'

- Günther Branlutte

I guess new players coming with steam wouldn't mind some extra features & settings without having to get a custom client.

16 (edited by baus 2015-06-14 04:39:36)

You know, Dune, the thing is you somehow sound like one of these ****** that complain about other people using dynamic camera. And please don't be nitpicky now. Yes, there are some differences. However, principally it's pretty much the same...

Dune wrote:
baus wrote:

This is the condescending/insulting tone I'm talking about. That's what Oblique means with "shitting on a person". Calm down.

1. Considering you're hopefully an adult I still don't see what the big deal is. Nothing heartbreaking in there. You should be able to handle the fact that discussions sometimes are lead in a sharp-tongued manner.

2. That being said I said, I generally wouldn't even write like that.

However, as a teeworlds player your general behaviour slightly offends me, respectively it feels at least inappropriate. (Not just in this topic.)

--> I will explain this thoroughly in another topic once I've got the time. What I want to write isn't just about you and I don't think my criticism will be well perceived in this context.

Edit:

Yeah, about this "shitting on another person"-thing:

https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … 58#p100858

Dune wrote:

Enter the discussion with valid arguments or gtfo.

You write stuff like that (as a mod!) and expect other people to treat you like a little princess?

Believe me, I didn't search for this. I found it because I googled for "teeworlds ddrace discussion" since I felt that strange hate against ddrace and other mods in the steam-thread.

Anyway, for me it is an example of the messed up way some of the officials here seem to behave. That is what my mentioned topic will be about. Here is something wrong with the way the community is handled.

This topic is (was) about "Laser beam as an aiming device". Now you're digging up threads from 2012 to whine about how "messed up some of the officials here seem to behave". You are personally insulting Dune, and don't even try to cover your anatomy with your vague terms and so-called evidence. I don't even feel like quoting your snide underhand comments.

A is for Apple.

[removed meme (rule #6)]
I really like bananas

- Günther Branlutte

Thank you, Oblique.
Last warning, baus. My intelligence and biais back when I had no moderator privilege are irrelevant to this topic and don't contribute to a constructive discussion.
Having different opinions is okay as long as you discuss them in a mannered way - I'm not making decisions on Teeworlds development, but voicing my own opinion.

Now stay on topic, noone has been censored yet but there will be if this goes out of hand.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Siile wrote:

I guess new players coming with steam wouldn't mind some extra features & settings without having to get a custom client.

But there must be a reason why these are not implemented in the official client in the first place, right?
I don't understand what's the issue, is replacing binaries not possible when working with Steam? Could you enlighten me on that?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
Siile wrote:

But there must be a reason why these are not implemented in the official client in the first place, right?
I don't understand what's the issue, is replacing binaries not possible when working with Steam? Could you enlighten me on that?

"...without having to get a custom client."

How many of the 13 year olds understand what "replacing binaries" means? How many steam players automatically assume that  there's tons of custom clients done, just waiting for someone to download them?

No new content in how many updates?

Hi, I'm 13.

Anyways, I admit that the standard client is a bit empty, so we could definitely add some new features for the next release. Frankly, DDNet client is way more feature-packed than the standard client; in effect, DDNet has become the standard client. And yes, there are a ton of things from the DDNet client that I wish were also in the standard client. I really like the dummy feature as well as the huge database of skins, just to list a few.

A is for Apple.

23 (edited by Dr.Dre 2015-06-14 21:34:22)

I agree with Siile, but I don't think that the original Teeworlds should add any big things that will change the game.
A laserbeam as aim would be a thing to stay with modded stuff. It is too different. Else, what is the point of clients.
I think people need to know more about clients and what people can do with Teeworlds, I have the idea that not many know. And that's a pity.

Just let the players on Steam know which clients exist, what they do and where to get them easily.
That would solve some problems.

I don't project my insecurities on other people.

24 (edited by [pieLover] 2015-06-15 05:41:28)

we're calling all laser beam aiming devices as if they are the same, and they arent
ddnet and/or hclient hook line (is always the same length) can tell you if you are about to hook a tee (yellow) green (land) or red (an unhookable tile or air) whereas Siile's aim line 1: goes through terrain/gametiles unlike ddnets (with solid tiles i mean) 2: changes distance based on cursor distance from tee 3: only changes color to represent what weapon you're holding, not based on what it's about to hook or shoot
also, Siile's looks very teeish imo.
and we're forgetting that a line going from the center of your screen to your cursor could not possibly help you move the cursor more accurately to something you need to aim at. hmm

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

I only say that the original idea with the "Aim hook line" is for DDRace gametypes and these circumstances (for not spam pistol and indicates where can catch me):

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30566237/imgs/screenshot_2015-06-15_20-14-00.png
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30566237/imgs/screenshot_2015-06-15_20-14-12.png

** the idea was never to help target in combat... but is funny see the laser in vanilla gametypes xD