Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Question: Should the existence of custom tee skins be obvious in the trailer? If so, We may need to re-record some clips (Oblique is who I'm speaking to with the re-record) depending on answers to this question. So far, none of the clips that I know of that he is including have included the main tee as a tee with a non-vanilla skin, though I was using tiger during one of the games and he doesn't have that skin, but other people in the same game were using a custom skin he did have.

Anyhow, I'll await an answer.

no

152 (edited by baus 2015-06-15 14:49:35)

Custom skins are the most infantile and unnecessary creations this community has ever generated.

Edit:
I think the ones included in the standard client are more than enough. More importantly, in contrast to every custom made skin I've seen up until now, the skins included in the client aren't ugly and ridiculous as ****.
(There probably are some good-looking ones but the vast majority ...)

Edit²:

Probably the information could still be worked into the trailer. That way, people can have the illusion of getting nice looking designs even though they'll have to face reality once they've started playing.

So I suppose you are thinking like I do, show only the ones that are well known and most definitely look good. (Zatiline's tiger,  Whis's whis and kintaro, etc). Okay.

There are definitely SOME good custom skin creations, but only about 15-20 that aren't too distracting for normal gameplay.

I'm planning to use ctf_auroch (the pathos recreation) for an example of a custom map.

no

154 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-15 21:50:58)

I made a list one day:
http://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1268
These also look kinda ok, though not as teeish as the ones above:
http://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1544

Also, these are teeish: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7820 or the same thing here: https://downloads.teeworlds.com/solidfi … atline.zip

Zatiline's skins are perfectly "teeish" in my opinion, but there aren't many people using them, (I use one of them big_smile) but I already sent these to oblique and asked him to re-record some of the footage, so this post is useless.

no

156 (edited by Oblique. 2015-06-15 22:41:18)

Uhh...ok. I guess I'll rerecord them, this time with the custom skins. I'm using DDNet client, and so I suppose I'll just add them in. Any skins from DDNet client that you think should be omitted?

Kirby [!Pixlez!] wrote:

I'm planning to use ctf_auroch (the pathos recreation) for an example of a custom map.

I'm worried that viewers won't be able to tell that auroch isn't a standard map (it's so well made). So I think that we should show an extremely sped up version of the map editor in action, and then show that same map in gameplay.

A is for Apple.

what about ShReKo's Teeworlds trailer?

#yemDX is a known troll!
but onbgy is the biggest troll
and deen always trolls, he just makes it so perfect that u think hes not

158 (edited by Zatline 2015-06-15 23:41:07)

ChillerDragon wrote:

nah, we can't use a video as official presentation where Teeworlds is typed wrong ... he typed "TeeWorlds" looks stupid and is wrong, also it looks kind of aged. If you want make Teeworlds look more attractive, less weired effects, proper titling sequences and most importantly quality that is up to date, means 1080p 60fps should be aimed! ^^
Maybe we should create a complete new one ... but that would mean -> first we need to collect a great selection of gameplay material, featuring all sides of Teeworlds ... if we get it togheter we could start producing a video out of it ... maybe by creating a competition where the winning video will become the offical presentation video. smile

Zatline wrote:
ChillerDragon wrote:

nah, we can't use a video as official presentation where Teeworlds is typed wrong ... he typed "TeeWorlds" looks stupid and is wrong, also it looks kind of aged. If you want make Teeworlds look more attractive, less weired effects, proper titling sequences and most importantly quality that is up to date, means 1080p 60fps should be aimed! ^^
Maybe we should create a complete new one ... but that would mean -> first we need to collect a great selection of gameplay material, featuring all sides of Teeworlds ... if we get it togheter we could start producing a video out of it ... maybe by creating a competition where the winning video will become the offical presentation video. smile

I love this. Especially the competition idea (and the community demos), because I'm still kind of new to video editing, I still have trouble believing that there aren't others more skilled and willing than I am to create the trailer. Anybody have ideas to better advertise this? By the way, I can edit the community news thread, or somebody can create a new one in the offical news section.

A is for Apple.

Or maybe we should just all cooperate to make one great trailer... Have footage from all official maps and whatnot, and show some of the other things in game. (Map editor)

Of course this may just be my opinion because I believe that Oblique's is perfect so far.

Besides, we want to give newbies the note that this is a game where anyone who knows how can contribute, not just some professional dude.

no

161 (edited by Oblique. 2015-06-16 05:54:27)

Taking all this into account, I suppose we have to make some sort of master plan.

We'll have players submit gameplay demos (preferably vanilla, but we'll also take mods for now), and we'll have a group of people try to put together a trailer. Anybody who has suggestions and edits can join in to improve and work on the trailer.

Contents of the trailer:

--With or without mods? As I cannot make a decision for Teeworlds (it's an official trailer, I hope), I will end up creating two demos, one only with vanilla and the other also mentioning mods. Mods will be unnamed for equal recognition and will only receive a couple seconds each. We can later decide on which one we will actually use.

--Map editor. What I have in mind is a sped-up video of a map being created in the map editor (I think it should be a small deathmatch map), then a blur transition into actual gameplay on that same map. Just like Lady Saavik's idea.

--Skins. DDNet skin pack (from client, unless you want anything removed) including Kirby's list of skins (which is basically all of Zatline's skins). @Fifi, if I'm not mistaken, are all of the skins you mentioned in this DDNet forum thread already included in DDNet client?

--Gameplay demos. We're going to rely on community submitted demos that should mostly be vanilla, but also some mods. Also, telling me the specific time for each highlight helps immensely but of course is not necessary. Maybe if somebody could advertise this on different forums, fan pages, and clan websites, that would really increase the quantity and quality of the demos.

A is for Apple.

162 (edited by 2015-06-16 07:52:16)

I can create the map thing if that's okay.

And I was thinkinh, can't we just have a trailer like this:
-Intro 5-10 sec

-People join the game and rush towards mid/music starts 10-20 sec
-People start attacking each other when the bass drops
-Vanilla skills 50-75 secs with slow motion kills

-blur screen

-random mods appear, shuffles and short 3-7 secs per mod, most mods will be seen twice but not in a row and not too long.
The watcher will understand that there are many mods while knowing that vanilla is the main thing.

-blur screen

-map editor sped up 15-20 sec

-blur screen into the map itself

-play the map 20 secs

-blur screen

-skinpacks scrolled down 5 secs
-server list scrolled down 5 secs

-blur screen again tongue

-the best skill from the somes whole with zoom amd slowmotion
-when kill is made screen crashes/glitches
-teeworlds logo appears

This is just my idea for an amazing trailer

I don't project my insecurities on other people.

1. No mods will appear in an OFFICIAL teeworlds trailer!
2. No mods will appear in an OFFICIAL teeworlds trailer!
3. If you do not understand ... read 1.
4. If you still do not want to understand ... read 2.

We are working on "teeworlds" and not "teeworlds - the game engine". MODs are fine and happen to open source games, but still it should be clear that this is teeworlds (remember, the 2D shooter), not any other game or mod. The more official teeworlds graphics and game play is used the better (If possible one should only see stuff you can see and use, when you use official files (client, server, maps skins ...) .

And no mods will appear in an OFFICIAL teeworlds trailer.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

164 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-06-16 10:49:30)

Sounds nice Dr.Dre, I could imagine this.

So as Landil made the thing about mods relatively clear (not sure about the second rule, though big_smile ), I think we should just mention at the end of the video (e.g. where the music ends) that the game is open source and supports mods.
Or in between the "feature list" to avoid mods getting the focus, but this would look weird if we don't show any footage of mods, so the end would be better.
Or we could just show the massive list of servers, including modded ones (I guess that's ok?), maybe as a fast close-up.
Or we could show the Github page and some code.

I would help you Oblique., but I don't have any editing experience and no tool beyond Windows Movie Maker, so yeah... big_smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Landil wrote:

We are working on "teeworlds" and not "teeworlds - the game engine". MODs are fine and happen to open source games, but still it should be clear that this is teeworlds (remember, the 2D shooter), not any other game or mod. The more official teeworlds graphics and game play is used the better (If possible one should only see stuff you can see and use, when you use official files (client, server, maps skins ...) .

I understand, but how are we going to let people know that the possibilities are endless?

Besides I am just sharing my ideas, no need to be rude.

We could just put a screen with text near the end that says "And it's open source, so the possibilities for different modes are endless!"

I'm pretty sure that Battle for Wesnoth (Another free open source game) just puts that same thing in their description. So...

no

Could be a solution hmm

168 (edited by unsigned char* 2015-06-16 19:25:46)

Why official devs says "teeworlds engine"? If i like use a engine... I go to develop with unreal engine or unity or something like that... I not 'work' with teeworlds precisely for the "engine".

Landil wrote:

(...)

But, what about MODS?

Nah srly, what about unofficial maps on vanilla? are those fine?

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

These are part of Teeworlds, I guess they would fit if we were to showcase the map editor a bit.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

171 (edited by Arem Shin 2015-06-17 20:20:02)

Hello, guys! If you want to make a trailer for Teeworlds, then I have several words about it.

1. Original music. I think, that it's better to create a mix of different music styles, which would be close to Teeworlds.
2. Demonstration of the game's gameplay. For the official trailer it's not enough to show only "vanilla" mode. To get people interested in the game, it's necessary to show as much variety in this small game as possible. (So we need different styles of music, to make everything good and dynamic)
3. Background voice and text. We need it for explaining and telling about the game. Any important information (they are the new ones, you know). And some notes in text.
4. A story for video. Everybody understand, I think, that short moments of cool kills are not actual anymore. We need moments of a really good teamplay and teamwork. They would be interesting to the viewer. And it's also possible to "connect" this video with the voices of players, who will coordinate and report the situation to their partners.

Here we go! Think about it.

172 (edited by Kirbs 2015-06-17 20:34:48)

Arem Shin wrote:

Hello, guys! If you want to make a trailer for Teeworlds, then I have several words about it.

1. Original music. I think, that it's better to create a mix of different music styles, which would be close to Teeworlds.
2. Demonstration of the game's gameplay. For the official trailer it's not enough to show only "vanilla" mode. To get people interested in the game, it's necessary to show as much variety in this small game as possible. (So we need different styles of music, to make everything good and dynamic)
3. Background voice and text. We need it for explaining and telling about the game. Any important information (they are the new ones, you know). And some notes in text.
4. A story for video. Everybody understand, I think, that short moments of cool kills are not actual anymore. We need moments of a really good teamplay and teamwork. They would be interesting to the viewer. And it's also possible to "connect" this video with the voices of players, who will coordinate and report the situation to their partners.

Here we go! Think about it.

1. That has already been done.

Landil wrote:

2. THERE WILL BE NO MODS IN AN OFFICIAL TEEWORLDS TRAILER!

3. Notes in text is enough. There isn't enough about the vanilla gametype that isn't in other games to "talk" about. Teeworlds goes by KISS.

4. "cool kills are not actual anymore" I can barely tell what you mean, but I think you mean that cool kills don't actually happen anymore. Sorry, but they actually do still happen. Anyone who is "good" or "active" or "likes" vanilla teeworlds will get cool kills.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips!

no

173 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-18 03:39:07)

Landil wrote:

I guess I understand your point of view, it actually seems logical, you just started from different assumptions. So maybe to satisfy everyone, instead of displaying modded gameplay, we could just put a text screen with something like "You can also play various additional gamemodes provided by user-created server mods. The possibilities are virtually endless." at the end of the trailer? smile That seems fine, because we won't be showing any mods, while the players will still be informed that such things exist.

Sorry that I lobbied so much about mod showcase before. I guess I forgot to take a look from the developer perspective and focused on what players want instead (therefore it looked strange to me, to avoid mentioning so complex gamemodes at all).

I'm against it, you are making unnecessary publicity for Valve.  That's not very coherent to have a free game (in sens of GNU) on the most popular proprietary plateform.

175 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-06-18 11:21:29)

I think Valve has no real benefit, or does it?
It's not like Teeworlds becomes Steam-exclusive, which could move more people to Steam.
Only people who already own Steam would play Teeworlds on Steam. I don't think anyone would register on Steam just for Teeworlds, as they can just download it.

The conflict between open-source and proprietorship is there, of course. But I think Valve has massively improved upon other copy protection systems such as SecuRom.
Of course a platform like GOG Galaxy would suit Teeworlds better, but that's still not about open-source, just about DRM-less games.

Edit: In the end you have to see that Teeworlds stays DRM-less and open-source, just like some other games on Steam (don't know about open-source games, though).

Loving TW since 2010 smile