Re: [CLIENT] Teeworlds Gamer

Failed to build in Arch Linux 64bit, GCC 4.8.0. Steps to reproduce: 1) copy source from Teeworlds 0.6.2 to Gamer v4.3; 2) remove 'config.lua'; 3) run 'bam release'

Build output: http://paste.archlinux-br.org/2165

Can I get some help on this issue?

Thanks in advance

Arch Linux users, see packages for some Teeworlds mod here! wink

Looks like a problem on your end. Are you sure you have all dependencies installed? E.g can you compile other versions of Teeworlds?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

There's a crashbug that made me stop using this client. Dune, you should use that client in debug mod and try to enter/exit some times (I don't know when exactly, but it's often when I leave a server and join an other when that it crashes)
I'm sure that this problem made many people not using it.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

It's not like I was doing profit on this. 50% off the client since it has a bug!

I tried to reproduce it, didn't manage to, sorry. Probably comes from the game tiles mapper.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Looks like a problem on your end. Are you sure you have all dependencies installed? E.g can you compile other versions of Teeworlds?

My dependencies are OK, as I'm able to build 0.6 release, 0.7 trunk and SushiTee.

Indeed sort of a problem on my end: GCC version 4.7 introduced some issues, e.g "error: ‘strtok’ was not declared in this scope"  (hint: Porting to gcc 4.7).

This patch solves these errors (but leave these many warnings, which are not a problem, i guess):

--- a/src/engine/client/irc.cpp    2011-09-05 21:33:24.000000000 -0300
+++ b/src/engine/client/irc.cpp    2013-06-02 17:22:47.476711496 -0300
@@ -13,6 +13,7 @@
 #endif

#include <stdio.h>
+#include <string.h>

#include <base/system.h>
 #include <engine/shared/config.h>
--- a/src/engine/client/client.cpp    2011-09-05 21:32:24.000000000 -0300
+++ b/src/engine/client/client.cpp    2013-06-02 17:21:33.951158702 -0300
@@ -1,6 +1,7 @@
 /* (c) Magnus Auvinen. See licence.txt in the root of the distribution for more information. */
 /* If you are missing that file, acquire a complete release at teeworlds.com.                */

+#include <string.h>
 #include <stdlib.h> // qsort
 #include <stdio.h> // printf
 #include <stdarg.h>

So, using this patch, i have the following results:
- Good news -  I managed to build Gamer 4.3 with Teeworlds 0.6.0 (it works fine!)
     (build log:  http://paste.archlinux-br.org/2167)
- Bad news - It still fails to build with Teeworlds 0.6.2 sad
     (build log:  http://paste.archlinux-br.org/2168)

Dune, Can you help on the version 0.6.2 problem?

All of this is very weird, and I had none of these warnings. Really, check the versions of your tools, could be something like this. I don't see anything else.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Please notice that Arch Linux normally has the latest version of softwares, which doesn't happen with other distros.

Not sure which tools you mean, but here is what I've got (system is up-to-date):

pacman -Q gcc-multilib freetype2 sdl lua bam python
gcc-multilib 4.8.0-4
freetype2 2.4.12-1
sdl 1.2.15-3
lua 5.2.2-1
bam 0.4.0-1
python 3.3.2-1

Anything missing?

Maybe you didn't patch all the files?

The first error, hence:

[ 21/169] #1 c++ src/engine/shared/network_console.cpp
In file included from src/engine/shared/network_console.cpp:7:0:
src/engine/shared/netban.h: In member function ‘const char* CNetBan::NetToString(const NETADDR*, char*, unsigned int) const’:
src/engine/shared/netban.h:49:56: error: too many arguments to function ‘void net_addr_str(const NETADDR*, char*, int)’
   net_addr_str(pData, aAddrStr, sizeof(aAddrStr), false);

happens when the compiler has only dealt with the core files of the project (and thus has not reached anything modified yet).

Maybe your bam configuration is wrong? :/

Not Luck, Just Magic.

It seems that 'netban.h' calls 'net_addr_str' from header <base/system.h>, using 4 parameters. Using a three-way comparison software, I was able to see that Teeworlds 0.6.2 introduced the 4th parameter, which is not present in gamer 4.3. (see  base/system.h, line 540)

I'm could be wrong, but my guess is that copying files from Gamer 4.3 to Teeworlds 0.6.2 replaced contents that shouldn't.

p.s.: My lazy patch was made to solve the errors in 0.6.0, but it sure needs to be adapted to 0.6.2 as well. smile

Yeah you obviously can't just replace files when porting to new versions, you need to adapt everything. That's why I was so surprised that you made it work for 0.6.2.

You need to patch everything, either from 0.6.2 to modified either to modified 0.6.0 to modified 0.6.2.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

You need to patch everything, either from 0.6.2 to modified either to modified 0.6.0 to modified 0.6.2.

Yeah, I notice... hmm

I could make a patch for 0.6.2 by doing comparison between versions, however I might come across some coding tasks, which I don't know (I'm not a programmer).
If I make an almost-done-patch, would you be interested in polishing it, in order to make it work in 0.6.2 ?

You can't do much if you don't know programming, unfortunately. Your "almost-done-patch" would actually require a ton of work to make it work :/

Thanks for the try, though.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

when will come out a new version of the client and the gamer will at all? :c
sorry for my bad english :c

In a nutshell: likely never.

There are other good client modifications out there, and none of the important features of my client is exclusive :)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Only show game tiles, teecomp, the  minimap, spec zoom, that's the reason why I am using your client and didn't switched for 4 years. And none client I know have these features included.

there is the last version for mac ?

It's weird that last version didn't get compiled for Mac, but MertenNor's site is down, so can't reach anything. Apologizes for that - if anything, you have the sources obviously.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dude, please port the Client to 0.6.2, I'm using it for a long time and don't want to change now !

It's still compatible with 0.6 servers, and with 0.7 coming out, it won't happen.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Great, i love guys who start successful projects and throw them away after a period of time big_smile

I updated it for a long period of time, and I'm still trying to give support. That's a lot better that most people out there.

I believe there are other good well-maintained modified clients out there.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I downloaded the client and it says "Unable to start" what shall I do?

Dick.

.reloader wrote:

Using Teeworlds 0.6.2 32-bit?

I'm a god.

Yes I'm using 64 bit.

PhOen!X' wrote:
.reloader wrote:

Dick.

.reloader wrote:

Yes I'm using 64 bit.

PhOen!X' wrote:
.reloader wrote:

You need to use 32-bit, no 64.

I'm a god.