1 (edited by lolnameless 2013-05-02 15:53:12)

Topic: Feasibility of moding teeworlds without C++?

Some youngsters are learning from language like Scheme, or Racket. On the other hand, C++ is very hard to work on. For instance, i want to re-implement Infection, which shouldn't be a very big deal, but i can't because i don't want to C++.

As we can see on other post, we appreciate a mod-friendly version or something like that. I just think that, a truly mod-friendly version isn't a monster bundles every configuration possible, it is too ad-hoc.

If one can abstract the code base, but keep the graphics stuff in C++, to allow something like "extension language", much like emacs, then we can possibly write less on C++ but more on the others.

Finally, I don't know C++ so i may not understand what i am talking, sorry about that.

Re: Feasibility of moding teeworlds without C++?

You can code everything for teeworlds using lua. Ask about it on n-lvl.com

3 (edited by kingtee.ger 2013-05-02 18:32:19)

To Lua modding:
• You can modificate the Client and the Server
• Here are a N-Client Lua function Documentation http://n-lvl.com/ndc/lua_doc/
• N-Client Forum
• iX:MAP94, [TeeKnight]Patrick, BotoX and Patafix work on the Client
• here you can find a few lua scripts http://nclient.n-lvl.com/extras.php

Create a new Thread on the n-lvl.com forum under the category "N-Client" if you have any questions about lua for the N-Client
/e
N-Client on github
https://github.com/MAP94/teeworlds

You can't do much of anything good without knowing programming. There sure are some modified clients accepting LUA, but that looks like client-side only, AND you will need to learn programming anyway, or you'll not be able to do much more than changing values.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Teeworlds have KISS user interface, KISS graphics, KISS physics, KISS objects, KISS rules ...etc.

^You can see teeworlds successes to certain degrees thanks to KISS.

Therefore, I think that if you like KISS, C++ really isn't the answer.

By that i have no mean to criticize anything, i am not necessarily refer to lua or n-client, not saying C++ is hard to learn. Just point out that C++ is comparatively weak to engage contribution from non-devs. What can be done next have yet to discuss.

To elaborate, i think that a teeworlds consists of performance critical tasks in C++ and other things in a KISS language would be great.

Now that didn't make sense.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

lolnameless wrote:

Teeworlds have KISS user interface, KISS graphics, KISS physics, KISS objects, KISS rules ...etc.

By that i have no mean to criticize anything, i am not necessarily refer to lua or n-client, not saying C++ is hard to learn. Just point out that C++ is comparatively weak to engage contribution from non-devs. What can be done next have yet to discuss.

To elaborate, i think that a teeworlds consists of performance critical tasks in C++ and other things in a KISS language would be great.

Maybe you should start with KISS when writing your posts wink *evil grin*

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/3584488+_a453b9bb4a854d2ce928ad751cea7ce0.gif

Replying with pics is discouraged. // Dune

Landil wrote:
lolnameless wrote:

The KISS way to say it would be: "C++ is fine, just let things be and there is nothing wrong with it."

KISS has nothing (or very few) to see with the programming languages used.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

If you find any ppl who want to rewrite teeworlds using any other language, go on. But I wouldn't waste so much time to port it to Educational languages... Better rewrite it for android wink

C++/Java my life ^^
If you like dislike button click it
NOW!