26 (edited by lamefun 2012-08-01 09:17:39)

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

This is a useless effort unless we make Teeworlds proprietary and enforce map rotation. People are reluctant to play on unfamiliar maps. There are many good maps in Maps forum, but no one plays them.There are rarely single server that doesn't run ctf2/3/5.

27

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

lamefun wrote:

This is a useless effort unless we make Teeworlds proprietary and enforce map rotation. People are reluctant to play on unfamiliar maps. There are many good maps in Maps forum, but no one plays them.There are rarely single server that doesn't run ctf2/3/5.

True story! sad

28

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

And how would map rotation help with making new official maps for 0.7 lamefun?
One point of this group is to make NEW quality maps. Not going to fix the old ones. Not anyone's problem that people do not like ctf2/3/5.

29

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

lamefun wrote:

This is a useless effort unless we make Teeworlds proprietary and enforce map rotation. People are reluctant to play on unfamiliar maps. There are many good maps in Maps forum, but no one plays them.There are rarely single server that doesn't run ctf2/3/5.

Making it proprietary won't help anything ofc. We can enforce map rotation with open source aswell (Yes, you can modfiy proprietrary software, and it will be done.)

30

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Full Face Tee wrote:

And how would map rotation help with making new official maps for 0.7 lamefun?
One point of this group is to make NEW quality maps. Not going to fix the old ones. Not anyone's problem that people do not like ctf2/3/5.

Ok, people will just rename ctf2/3/5 into ctf2/3/5_old and will continue playing them, not new official maps.

31

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

wow force people to play new maps that realy is "lame" fun

32 (edited by yemDX 2012-08-01 19:57:59)

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Broken wrote:

wow force people to play new maps that realy is "lame" fun

People obviously don't know any better and are just stupid, and keep playing on old maps just to spite everyone, not because they're fun or anything. New maps are better and should be given a chance.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

33

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

there are cool maps already...i think sonix will be make very nice ctf maps....dm maps are all good... a new 1on1 dm would be cool...and i will map so many ctf maps till one is good enough for the vanilla scene tongue
a new ctf2 isnt good hmm reworks maps for teeworlds version (0.7) thats totaly shit.
in which version ctf5 come out? 0.5?
idk

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

34

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

People don't play old maps just to spite people. They play them because they were packaged with the official release and were good. So it comes to make sense that a team making new official maps will come to see the same result. People playing them because they are good. Everyone needs to stop hating on devs. If you don't like it, do it yourself and quit whining about it.

35 (edited by Kirbs 2012-08-03 00:30:38)

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

I would definitly like to see some fly.

In my opinion, I think we should keep old maps, and only add new ones.

Go race smile

Survival sounds cool and that other stuff like LMS also sounds cool.
Good luck mapping smile

no

36

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Full Face Tee wrote:

People don't play old maps just to spite people. They play them because they were packaged with the official release and were good. So it comes to make sense that a team making new official maps will come to see the same result. People playing them because they are good. Everyone needs to stop hating on devs. If you don't like it, do it yourself and quit whining about it.

They play the same maps because they'll move like slugs if they try maps they don't know until they get familiar with them. As no one wants to move like a slug, no one ever tries new maps.

37

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

lamefun, you honestly have no flipping clue, do you!? People always like to try new maps! Playing the same ones get old after a while. Honestly, if you don't have anything to contribute, just stop!

38 (edited by lamefun 2012-08-03 15:55:17)

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Full Face Tee wrote:

lamefun, you honestly have no flipping clue, do you!? People always like to try new maps! Playing the same ones get old after a while. Honestly, if you don't have anything to contribute, just stop!

Is there any active server that runs custom maps with map rotation and new maps frequently added to prove your point?

EDIT: Also, reluctance to try new maps seems to grow as skill grows. DDRace has more custom maps that are played than standard gametypes. Instagib in 0.5 also had quite a few servers with custom maps that had many players, and standard gametypes had few of them (if any).

39

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

we have alread some new maps for survival...
i hope there will be no reworks of maps, better new maps and no copys

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

40

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Yes. I run standard vanilla servers that enforce map rotation and some that don't. I add new maps along with the official ones. I've found that all are played pretty much equally.

And also -> reluctance doesn't grow with skill. New players love trying to play all the maps.

Kintaro* wrote:

i hope there will be no reworks of maps, better new maps and no copys

From what I understand, these will be completely new official maps.

41

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Thats wrong. Those wannabe mid-level-players won't play new maps, as they will suck on them. They keep playing maps they know, thats what humans were ever doing.

42

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Yes thats right slaver nur with nee Version there will be come many new players

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

43 (edited by lamefun 2012-08-04 06:46:06)

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Kintaro* wrote:

Yes thats right slaver nur with nee Version there will be come many new players

To be trapped by DDRace. DDRace has most noobs and therefore most life, fun and has many custom maps unlike standard gametypes. Noobs breathe life and fun into any game, pros bring just boredom and stagnation.

44

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Just to throw in my opinion on this discussion: I like the idea of getting good new maps into the game. There are quite a few maps right now, that could need a little workover, too... However, this is not (or should not be) a possibility to get in a lot of community maps, just because some people like them. I know there are some quality maps out there, but I really believe this map working group should have high standards...

45

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

and in 0.7 there is already a server which search alternativ good maps.... gv server

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

46

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

At some point there were really nice vanilla custom maps (for example looking at the last map contest result), they're just not hosted because they're not played. Some maps just don't get what they merit - even the official maps, when you  look at the number of ctf2/ctf7 servers.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

47 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2012-08-04 15:24:51)

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

Good maps never die (ctf5 proves it). But playing the same maps over and over again will suck out the amusment out of you. That's why I mostly vote yes on a map change.

I hope the new maps will be as cool as ctf5;ctf_canyon;ctf_edge;ctf_pulse...dm_playground...

Work on your dreams like Oy works on teeworlds

48

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

DARK HUNTER wrote:

Good maps never die (ctf5 proves it)

rofl? ctf5?

So ctf2 isn't a good map. For what? iFreeze?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

49

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

lol ctf5 is the worst map ...
ctf2 is the best map atm ...

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

50

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

ctf5 is by far one of the most modified and played maps.

Maybe it's because of it's unique nature: symetrical;divided into Red Territory;Neutral Territory and Blue Territory as well as Main Level;Top side and Bottom side. It is also very open.

Work on your dreams like Oy works on teeworlds