Re: 0.4.0 released!

yay i know that with the new hook but my simple question is WHY? wasn´t 3.4 ballanced?

stivikivi wrote:

yay i know that with the new hook but my simple question is WHY? wasn´t 3.4 ballanced?

No, it had some serious issues. Specially with CTF. All these fixes, even the new weapon are party measures to fix those problems and shape the game into our vision of it. We knew from the beginning what this point would come. The point were we had to rebalance the game when we really see how it played. I wasn't happy with some of the changes we made in the beginning as well but I've come to love it when I've gotten used to it.

k now i´m happy to know all  i´´m not happy about the changes but i understand
thank u for spending ur time

It seems that auto weapon switch doesn't work...? hmm

`Dr. Nick Riviera` wrote:

It seems that auto weapon switch doesn't work...? hmm

already reported. but thanks anyway.

31 (edited by Mr.Roman 2008-03-23 05:21:56)

Serious BUG 0.4.0 - NOT SWITH Pick UP Weapons.
Option X - Swith pick up weapon - Not Run.

Wait Fix )) 0.4.1

I like the newer version, actually I think it's a heck of alto better than the older version. But with the custom colors, it's kinda hard to see the patterns. They were alot easier to see on the previous version. You can maybe create two differant modes of play, one will play like the old one and the other will be the current one and the host will be able to chose which version they want to use.

The owner and blogger of the little known group dedicated to posting indie content of all kinds I+

I really like the new Version of Teewa...worlds.
But what I've don't like is when you start Teeworlds at the first time and you have to type in your name. At this moment, the font was just to big.

The other thing is the new weapon. It is useless I think. It is very difficult to hit somebody. I think it should make more damage.

But all together it is a great game ^^

It's awesome!!
I love you smile

... but the fonts are quite huge. At least on my Mac.

yikes yikes

Xer0: Many have reported that. Something must have slipped though. Will check.
Weapon switch seem to be bugged yes. There is a ticket for that one. Will fix.

36 (edited by Rivers 2008-03-23 11:43:06)

Teeworlds is great!

The graphics are a lot smoother and more slick now, and I did get confused in race matches about whether I'd used my double jump or not... This doesn't seem to be in everyone's taste, however, and is really just cosmetic, so perhaps it could be an option?

One thing I'm not so fond of is the green 'splat' when you kill a tee, can this be an option? Like blood was an option in Worms Armageddon?

The game play seems a lot smoother and I can FINALLY shoot grenades like everyone else! I really couldn't get the hang of it before... they didn't seem long range enough and the arc was too small, they're a lot more fun now.

As for the hook... I haven't noticed any length difference, probably just because of how I play, so that's fine with me! (If not a little bias!)

The downloading the map as you enter a room thing is a god send! Long gone are the days of scanning LAN corps and this forum for the right map and entering the game 1/4 way through once you've got it!

The new weapon is strange! Haven't got used to it yet, and have only managed to kill a few hundred tees with it thus far sad

Are there any changes to damage rates for weapons?

The new map maker is a lot better, you need to use a lot less key shortcuts and the 'save as' thing has really saved me a lot of time (I used to find good maps to use as a base and then save over them accidentally, so I'd have to redownload maps all the time!) It's a lot easier now to put in images and use layers, which is good. One thing I think needs changing is how you change the position of layers, i.e. 'ParaY' and 'ParaX' if I remember rightly... I find it awkward to get right by shifting it left to right, you should be able to enter a value.

Oh and I just love this new tileset, it's great to have more choice.

Bravo Teeworlds!

To the moaners: change is inevitable in life, except from a vending machine.

Great release. I like it.

But there are a few (tiny) things I have noticed:

1) The first is something I have to explain using the word "map" for everything you can walk on or shoot a hook into. And the word "background" for the picture in the background that slightly moves when you move. The problem I have seen was on one map, where the map was mainly brown (like soil) and green (like grass) and it had something like a white platform. When I first played that level, I did not immediately recognize the white platform being part of the map. I wodered for a short time why the Tee did not fall down until I finally noticed that the white platform was part of the map.

Long story short: Please make sure that the map designs are clear so that only a few colours are used for the map and very different colours are used for the background.

I find this very important (the game worms also had issues like this and all my friends and I did not like that). It must always be clear at the very first glance (being involved in a duel, not knowing the map) what belongs to the map and what belongs to the background.

2) While I started 0.4.0 the first time, there was an application running in the background that consumed about 30-50% of the CPU resources. This made the game and menu very slow. It sometimes felt like less than 10fps. I am really wondering if Teeworlds needs that many resources. I mean, the CPU in my system is an AMD X2 64 3800. This should be really sufficient for a game like Teeworlds which I think should be running smoothly on an old CPU with less than 1GHz (so that you can play during lunch break in the office ;-).

3) The gun (weapon 2) seems to reload much faster. Good. That way it becomes more useful and powerful compared to shotgun (3) and the other thing that throws some kind of grenades (4).

4) I started a local server to check if the issue described under 2) was related to network problems. When I started the server, it said that it is not reachable from outside my network and this read like an error message. IMHO this should be a warning or notice only saying "Server is not reachable from the outside. Only clients in your LAN will be able to join that server".

5) I wish there was a version of this game for the Wii :-)

Nonetheless, I like the game very much. Keep it simple, keep it as funny as it is now!

In some postings you (the devs) mention that some feature requests do not fit the vision that you have about what the game should be like. As the version number is 0.4.0 it seems that there are lot more things to come before 1.0.0. Do you have a kind of roadmap or a posting in the forum about what your vision for this game is?

René

Hmm, I played 0.4.0 for half an hour today, and I must say that I can see a great release here. Aside from some obvious bugs which are mentioned on trac already.
Is there any word on bandwith usage ? has it decreased, stayed the same, or went up ? I had to make my server private because it used too much bandwidth, are there new options to set compression levels ? (A game like Teewars shouldnt use 70gigs of traffic in a month with 8 players max..)

renestach wrote:

5) I wish there was a version of this game for the Wii :-)

Oh, yeah. That would be great. (:

b2t:
I like the new version...
it make still fun. :>

eatin' ur souls. . . wink

Black Brawl Stormer

martijn wrote:

Hmm, I played 0.4.0 for half an hour today, and I must say that I can see a great release here. Aside from some obvious bugs which are mentioned on trac already.
Is there any word on bandwith usage ? has it decreased, stayed the same, or went up ? I had to make my server private because it used too much bandwidth, are there new options to set compression levels ? (A game like Teewars shouldnt use 70gigs of traffic in a month with 8 players max..)

The bandwidth usage is increased a bit to reduce fire latency. I'm not done with the bandwidth optimizations yet. There is loads I still can do. There is an overhaul on the network coming for 0.5.0 that will decrease it. Better compression, grouped messages, more events detected on the client side instead of sent from the server. It will not affect the gameplay.

Thanks for your quick and detailed explaination. Perhaps its an option to run a server of max 4 clients then. This should bring down the traffic by a bit to (for me) more acceptable terms. For now I will enjoy some games of 0.4.0 smile

at first... i find 0.4 very cool^^,but the auto change,when u pick up a weapon dont work...
and the game is sometimes really lagging(but i think its because fo the server xD)

and the map editor is really good,but a little bit complicated Oo
^^

good work ;-)

Sry if my language is bad >.<
im from germany:o

Why not name it Teeworld instead of Teeworlds, so without 's'. Sounds -imo- better.

ftp://dotty.homeunix.net
user/pass=teeworlds

dotty wrote:

Why not name it Teeworld instead of Teeworlds, so without 's'. Sounds -imo- better.

Agree with you. I think developers choose this name because 'Teeworlds' is more conformable to 'Teewars' than 'Teeworld'. smile

my weapons doesnt switch on pickup

what can i do???

Sorry for my bad english....im german wink

Hm well , I kinda like the new update. , though there are a few negative points.
The Lasergun is OK , but I thought It would be more powerful.
The new Map Style is great and the increased Gamespeed is good , too. You need a lil bit more Skill now to play well.
The point I don't like is the Weapon Change.
Everytime I change the weapon ( I change it with the keyboard , since my mousewheel is crap ) it takes too long till the weapon changes... dunno if its only me but its getting a lil bit annoying.
However , I think everybody needs some time to habituate to it.

Chuck wrote:

my weapons doesnt switch on pickup

what can i do???

Read all postings and learn that this is bug that is fixed already for the next release.

how can i open the editor?

in the menu, press ctrl+shift+e

Used to be very active waay back

ohh thx
i renember ctrl+alt+e ^^