Re: [Client] [Server] [MOD] DDRace

Since The Game_Tiles are down, What do You use For Laserwalls and Teleporters?

Italic text

Hey,
sorry for asking that question again but the link is down, how do i place laserdoors?

28 (edited by Mo2 2012-02-24 21:14:16)

You need the DDRace Client to map. There you can add switch-layer for creating doors, teleporter layers and speedup layer. Doors are created similar to the freezing-laser but you have to choose the same switchnumber for the button and the door (you can even switch the numbers with the DDRace Client a the mid-top of the editor). So basically add switch layer, choose layer (then you see lots of gametiles again place switch and the entity you like as pair with same numbers - you can even trigger other stuff as doors with that).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

29 (edited by Nitro 2012-02-24 21:38:10)

Thx...
I got it now ^^

Hi, so I've been trying desperately to find general information on DDrace. Me, being ignorant, thought this stuff would be common knowledge since DDrace is pretty popular, but, that's been a resounding no...
So, what tile-set, square, images do what?... are there any tutorials on this stuff? If so, where?... why are a lot of links down (specifically the game tiles, client settings, server settings, and server commands links...) on this topic? This is the error that comes up: (Not Found, The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle the request.) ... and why, when I go into the map editor with the DDrace client, can't I see my quad background? And what is this 'XXLDDR'? I should I become accustomed to it rather than DDrace, since it seems like it's becoming more popular? Are the two really that different?
And lastly, why isn't this information easily found on the internet?! (yes, I checked on Google and the forums!) I just want to make a nice, well made map for Pete's sake! :cry:

sincerely,
-frusterated

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

31 (edited by Broken 2012-10-13 02:39:21)

Bee wrote:

Hi, so I've been trying desperately to find general information on DDrace. Me, being ignorant, thought this stuff would be common knowledge since DDrace is pretty popular, but, that's been a resounding no...
So, what tile-set, square, images do what?... are there any tutorials on this stuff? If so, where?... why are a lot of links down (specifically the game tiles, client settings, server settings, and server commands links...) on this topic? This is the error that comes up: (Not Found, The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle the request.) ...

Because DDRace, although popular with players, isn't that actively developed.

and why, when I go into the map editor with the DDrace client, can't I see my quad background?

This is a bug in the DDRace client, sometimes quads aren't shown. Restarting the client sometimes will make them show up.

And what is this 'XXLDDR'?

It's a modification of DDRace (there are several). It mainly adds extra tiles, optional rescue, extra admin options, and some silly powerups.

I should I become accustomed to it rather than DDrace, since it seems like it's becoming more popular? Are the two really that different?

There are some differences among DDRace versions, but it's all preference. For example, the regular DDRace mod does not support a rescue option, and DDRaceMax and ProCodex have their own versions with minor differences. iDDRace allows an extra dummy to mess with and DDRace+ has tons of sillly powerup options.

And lastly, why isn't this information easily found on the internet?! (yes, I checked on Google and the forums!) I just want to make a nice, well made map for Pete's sake! :cry:

For it's popularity it's poorly documented, but so is Teeworld's itself. Bee, if you want any help or info go ahead and email me I'd love to help, I have quite a bit of DDRace map experience.

Also, Bee, the best explanation of tiles I've found is here: http://xxl-clan.com/showthread.php?tid=153
But also looking at other maps and testing them out helps. ^^

Broken wrote:

For it's popularity it's poorly documented, but so is Teeworld's itself. Bee, if you want any help or info go ahead and email me I'd love to help, I have quite a bit of DDRace map experience.

I disagree. Teeworlds has plenty of easy map creating tutorials a bit everywhere.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Thanks, that actually helped a lot Broken.
Check your email; I sent you a message. smile
Maybe once I get an idea of what DDrace is, I'll make my own tutorial.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Strange issue with zoom in windows version DDRace 1.12a:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHRQU5Y1CQA

35 (edited by UnoSkorpion 2013-01-13 20:14:09)

DDRace-Server 1.14a for Linux x64

https://downloads.teeworlds.com/solidfi … r_114a_x64

DDRace Client and Server 1.14a for Windows x32

https://downloads.teeworlds.com/solidfi … _1.14a.rar

Hello
I made a quick php script for convert my server records from files to database.

If anybody need it :
https://github.com/cris272/ddrace-records-converter
You have to set correct variable for host, dbname, user, password, prefix and dirRecords.
Then write "php convert-records.php"

37 (edited by kingtee.ger 2013-08-10 22:47:30)

Found a Grenade bug, can't explain, you'll have to take a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO-Rb3admv0
Short Video just 12 secconds. smile

This is far from being any kind of bug.

The Hook doesn't drag you into the freeze entitie. yikes
The Freeze entitie behaves like an solid entitie

That's vanilla behaviour. See this:

if(m_HookedPlayer == -1 && distance(m_HookPos, m_Pos) > 46.0f)

That means, in natural language: If we don't hook a player, the distance between you and your hook must be at least 46 for the hook to take effect (A tile's size is 32).

Dont know if theres still development done, but if so you should first of all fix the freeze tiles which are definitly the most important part of ddrace. right now it feels like theres a loop running asking every x (which is low, probably 0.1) seconds if the player is on a freeze tile, and if so it freezes him. but that only works good enough in certain situations, some examples for you:

1. tee falls on ground with 1 layer of freeze tiles, no doublejump left. if pressing jump right time and being lucky with the current looptimer you can perform a normal jump from the ground, which is BELOW the freezetiles. itll freeze you but you can perform that jump if lucky, which is weird.
2. quite normal, imagine a tee in freeze top, another one bottom, between them 1 layer of collision tiles. the bottom tee now hammers through this collision tiles and hit the other one. now there are different results that can happen based on where this looptimer is right now: either nothing, or the tee is able to perform a short action like moving left a bit. Since you can never figure out this timer its basically luck.

I may be wrong with my analysis, but if not i strongly recommend to fix it. if you think the way i do you would never want luckdepended unpredictable features in this game.
its a better way to make freeze work instantly like killtiles (not same size ofc) or maybe teleporters (really dont know if they do), but instead add a instant unfreeze+freeze immunity for x (or a bit less) seconds.
that should fix it without changing the gameplay except for removing that luck, every hammer/laser now gives the possibility to move a bit left, and bugs like the first issue arnt possible anymore.

Arrob I hear you but - long time ddracers are used to this and many maps even require these bugs

If you would have read my whole post you would notice that nothing would change for the machanics and feeling, just that the luck would be removed. e.g. you laser someone and now every hit allows him to press jump+left which is now a luck thing. i dont know of any map that would not work with the new mechanics suggested by me.

true... It would be nice I agree. Contact the coders on ddrace.info, irc is a good place

Arrob wrote:

1. tee falls on ground with 1 layer of freeze tiles, no doublejump left. if pressing jump right time and being lucky with the current looptimer you can perform a normal jump from the ground, which is BELOW the freezetiles. itll freeze you but you can perform that jump if lucky, which is weird.

I agree with your second point, I have to say something to your first post however.

Teeworlds ticks 50 times a second. The important parts of a DDRace tick are as follows:

1. Save input. This means, jump, and direction keys are saved.
2. Freeze if on a freeze tile.
3. Apply input. Even if frozen.

So in my opinion, this can't be counted as luck, as it is very defined behavior. Also, you would break some maps if you remove this kind of "feature", consider for example this:

OF
X

O - the tee
F - a freeze tile
X - a collision tile

Currently the behavior is: If you press right, you'll be able to fall down. If we change the behavior as you suggest, you'd be stuck on the right side of the collision tile. This should just be a simple example on what this change would break, I'm sure that there are a lot of other things where this behavior is required too.

Thanks for your answer, now i got a better insight of how the mechanics work.

heinrich5991 wrote:

So in my opinion, this can't be counted as luck, as it is very defined behavior.

its very defined just as every single generator of random numbers out there. i know that no real luck can be coded,
but for a single boolean query (able to save input after short unfreeze or not) in a few seconds im pretty sure this function will give good quality random numbers. if you do not consider that luck you can neither do in any program.
for me its enough to call it luck if noone can predict what will happen, and thats exactly the situation for unfreeze in freezetiles.

heinrich5991 wrote:

Currently the behavior is: If you press right, you'll be able to fall down. If we change the behavior as you suggest, you'd be stuck on the right side of the collision tile. This should just be a simple example on what this change would break, I'm sure that there are a lot of other things where this behavior is required too.

i didnt know how its coded before, now i see that it requires a different approach to fix my first example. but to adress the second and your example:
right now there are two different outcomes of the situation (unfreeze in freeze): either you are able to save your input, or not. what i suggest is basically nothing but to force the first one. at least that should change nothing at actual gameplay, since its just a special case of what can already happen now. so there shouldnt be any compatibility issues like your example, though i agree that my initial approach may have caused the problem you discriped. besides im still im not sure why your example works in current ddrace as tees do stop immadietly (not sure but feels so, even at high speeds) on ground if no movement, is it just because you do execute that 1 more input after freeze?

to summarize my current suggestion:
do not care for jump after freeze as seen in my first example, its fix may cause other problems and anyway there is nothing less important.
focus on fixing the luck issue which only applies after unfreeze in freezetiles, here is a way that should work:
since hammer has an effect on the hammered tee, you should go there. maybe you can just force apply there. or check if current input will be applied, if not overwrite next one. if im right the case that nothing happens after unfreeze is if you get unfreezed between step 1 and 2 (which must be the longest period from what i feel ingame).

Give please the reference to the DDrace.info 0.5.2 server the version