Re: development or "What the hell is going on?"

Or in 0.5.3 already... wink

-> default font in newest tw version: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7808 … 413004.png
-> font with japanese chars xD: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4134 … 413015.png

pls do not wonder about the menu... its modded ^^ ...only the "Name" matters here smile

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

53 (edited by CarmineZ 2011-02-14 16:42:43)

why not add Water tile? or port "boost" to official (like "springs" in sega Sonic game [jump/walk on it to bounce]) ?

A couple of things here. First of all, this is a good discussion. It is nice to see some communication between the current devs and the players.

To everyone talking about adding maps or tilesets, etc, please realize that this would result in a larger game, with a larger download and so on. Teeworlds was designed to be a small game. I agree that a couple new maps would be nice, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few official maps removed such as some of the DM maps . For the purposes of vanilla, ctf4 is pretty much non existent. I saw a whole 3 vanilla servers with ctf4 last night.

I have to agree with the sentiment that the grenade is too powerful. Despite its pitfalls, new players find it nearly impossible to kill a flag carrier who runs around spamming grenades behind them everywhere they go. I have seen CTF 5 games where someone holds onto the flag for over 15 minutes. This is not good imo. And of course, as pretty much everyone has agreed, the powerup needs fixed to be more useful.

In terms of the code, I don't see how the devs could possibly release 0.5.3 when so many things have changed. If a new gametype such as Race could be included relatively soon and a couple things get updated I say wait for a little while longer and release 0.6.

Nilaya wrote:

In terms of the code, I don't see how the devs could possibly release 0.5.3 when so many things have changed. If a new gametype such as Race could be included relatively soon and a couple things get updated I say wait for a little while longer and release 0.6.

It's been a very long time we say to way a little longer and release 0.6. There are lots of changes to do, you're right, but this does not mean it would be a mistake to release 0.5.3. If you don't want to release any of the new feature because you think we only can release them when all the 'fixes' are done, then release 0.5.3 at least for the security fixes.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Why can't I type letters with accents in tw-trunk?
Let's say I wanna type "sábio" it outputs "s´abio".
Anything with ´~ ^ won't work sad

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

The fun of teeworlds is less cause there are so much cheaters/botter and the behaviour of the most players are very bad. Not cause DDRace or other mods. DDRace and Race are best mods cause you cant cheat there.
Everyone knows each other in instagib/Vanilla/Race and really im very sick of the behaviour of most players.

I agree with you Taavi, the behavior of a majority of the Vanilla/instagib players is pretty bad.

But some aren't smile

Also, DDRace has a bunch of kiddies that crash servers and votekick and stuff. Though that's fixed. They always ask for helper... and annoying.

Vanilla = more b*tches

DDRace = more kiddies

Try playing DotA. First several months you will get just an anger and indignation of more experienced players. But somehow DotA is one of the most popular games, even while it is just a mod for wc3. Teeworlds is an independent project, so it has even more possibilities for getting people. If the game is good, behavior of the players and long integration into the community won't stop players.

Stay wild big_smile

My thoughts about the gfx / map discussion:
Even if you are very used to create teeworlds-gfx, e.g. like Landil, a tileset or some doodads need lots of work. What you most often do not remeber is that the new images have to fit into the current graphic-landscape. Even if you are doing game / tee skins, place your result ingame next to the default tees and check if they look as from the same game. Then you will see that's quite hard to get a good mixture of elements, commonly accepted as teeish.

Same goes for the maps. That dude that requested to have more official maps (too lazy to scroll up, sry) did also mention that a lot of maps are buggy. Furthermore, many are ugly, so you get eye cancer or glaucoma by playing it. So please, show me some maps that are eye candy, well-tiled and balanced at the same time. Open a new thread in the maps-subforum, I'd be happy!

And I always wonder, If anybody of you had played teeworlds, if the vanilla client, if the standard graphics were replaced with some random bullshit gfx and maps. I do not think so!

So for that ppl that ask for - what has this to do with the topic: Accept that the official part is the "creme de la creme", outstanding graphics, outstanding maps. And that may take a while. Fullstop. Glad to see that some changes will be put in a v5.3. I appreciate that descision.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

Taavi wrote:

The fun of teeworlds is less cause there are so much cheaters/botter

good bots in vanilla are a myth.
it has been discussed many times yikes

And as the most players are 12, with a behaviour of 8, its obvious that the implementation of the chat was a fail ^^

DDRace and Race are best mods cause you cant cheat there

What's about cheats_on, truely a command on DDRace?
If you think what makes a mod good is the abscence of cheating, then go make a Chess mod.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

63 (edited by Crises 2011-02-15 18:21:22)

Taavi wrote:

The fun of teeworlds is less cause there are so much cheaters/botter and the behaviour of the most players are very bad. Not cause DDRace or other mods. DDRace and Race are best mods cause you cant cheat there.
Everyone knows each other in instagib/Vanilla/Race and really im very sick of the behaviour of most players.

Mods in which you can easily use a bot to be the best one are bullshit and I guess thats why we don't support Mods. That also shows us that such a mod isn't really balanced!

And besides, you DON'T NEED to play mods instead of vanilla, so please don't cry, if there are cheater/botter!

Slayer *gV* wrote:
Taavi wrote:

The fun of teeworlds is less cause there are so much cheaters/botter

good bots in vanilla are a myth. ...

That's right, because vanilla is the most balanced gametype which exist at the moment! Race is also very balanced, maybe thats why it will get official soon wink!?

Dune wrote:

DDRace and Race are best mods cause you cant cheat there

What's about cheats_on, truely a command on DDRace?
If you think what makes a mod good is the abscence of cheating, then go make a Chess mod.

/agree
DDrace is not such a "perfect mod" (and definitely not that good as race!!!) because most of the player are blocker or kiddy's with a bad behavior!

Crises wrote:

DDrace is not such a "perfect mod" (and definitely not that good as race!!!) because most of the player are blocker or kiddy's with a bad behavior!

Those guys exist everywhere, not only in DDrace. I'd say, vanilla pro players are the most arrogant players out there, only because they think, they are "something better". I won't say any names, but there several people who I really disslike.

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

Nilaya wrote:

I have to agree with the sentiment that the grenade is too powerful. Despite its pitfalls, new players find it nearly impossible to kill a flag carrier who runs around spamming grenades behind them everywhere they go. I have seen CTF 5 games where someone holds onto the flag for over 15 minutes. This is not good imo. And of course, as pretty much everyone has agreed, the powerup needs fixed to be more useful.

Hm i don’t think so. Yeah the rocket launcher is strong. But there’s no other weapon you can evade easier. Maybe Teeworlds should be easier to learn for beginners, but please don't change it into a skilless game. A rocket launcher has to be strong. Maybe you should have less ammo instead of the other Weapons but don’t let him become a water pistol sad.

I also don't think that the actual graphic style is the biggest problem. I don't know a player who hate it or stops playing teeworlds because the graphic.

There should be new weapons in future i think. Also i think the team-play should be reworked. Watch tdm there are teams but you only can see that because the different colors. Their should be some support weapons. Maybe stationed weapons you can use to help your mates. Teeworlds should get more tactical atm its mainly a fast game with less tactical selections.

green -> greener -> Flo
*gV* rocKs

66 (edited by Highscore [xyz] 2011-02-15 19:57:33)

Before all speculate about how far the development is you should  talk to Oy.
Sushi wrote that nothing is done for 0.6 yet, thats not true. As far as i know 0.6 is not so far away.
I totally agree with Taavi, teeworlds is full of cheater and aimbots are one of many problems.
To avoid  some of those problems, like votehacks, servercrashs, cloneclients and some other things 0.5 trunk is a good way till 0.6 is really released.
In my opinion its stable enough to replace 0.52 as newest verison. Call it 0.53 or 0.5 trunk nobody will care about the name smile
Discussing about wich mods are shit and wich not wont find an end. Some people  like vanilla, some instagib and others like to race.
But as a matter of fact the by many vanilla player not liked instagib (wich needs no skill in the opinion of some) is more played than vanilla itself.
Some of the people who develope teeworlds were in the past instagib player, like landil, lappi, oy and others, it didnt seem that  they disliked it cuz they spend many days and nights playing. (Lost)
In my opinion it should matter what the people like to play  and not only  a dictatorship like  : we wont support mods! vanilla rulez. Thats narrow-minded.
Everybody should play what he likes and the most played gametypes should be supported.
Democracy should be the right word here.

U didnt understand what we meant when we wrote "nothin is done for 0.6"...

the versioning: major.netcode.patch .... so... 0 = major version, 5 = netcode and 2 the patch...
The the current netcode in 0.5 trunk is fully compatible to all 0.5 versions... thats the reason why its called 0.5 trunk and not 0.6 trunk wink

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

68 (edited by Highscore [xyz] 2011-02-15 21:01:22)

nope i did uderstand but it  seems like some ppl here are not rly up to date, i spoke to oy lately and it seems like hes about to finish in the near future.
when i read trough this thread and believe whats said by some it seems like 0.6 is far far away but it isnt.

for example by u :

"0.6 will still take a long time since nothing (really nothing) is done for 0.6."

"original and simple game play innovations are needed. 0.6 seems far from release and noone wants to touch the network"

Nilaya wrote:

I agree that a couple new maps would be nice, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few official maps removed such as some of the DM maps . For the purposes of vanilla, ctf4 is pretty much non existent.

There are concrete plans to remove ctf4 and replace it with another map.

i spoke to oy lately and it seems like hes about to finish in the near future.

Sometimes things are not that easy as they may appear to the community. But to put it in a nutshell: Oy is the code maintainer so he decides.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Crises wrote:

Race is also very balanced, maybe thats why it will get official soon !?

You can't say RACE is a balanced gametype as well as CTF, DM, instagib etc, the mod itself is nothing, it's all about the maps.

Highscore wrote:

original and simple game play innovations are needed. 0.6 seems far from release and noone wants to touch the network

Exactly why a 0.5.3 release would be nice, even if there are lot of fixes/changes you would like to see in the next version and aren't already implemented, what the hell is the problem with freezing the trunk and releasing it? It's not like saying we will never do those changes, and I guess organizing a release doesn't take a month of work.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
Crises wrote:

Race is also very balanced, maybe thats why it will get official soon !?

You can't say RACE is a balanced gametype as well as CTF, DM, instagib etc, the mod itself is nothing, it's all about the maps.

Highscore wrote:

original and simple game play innovations are needed. 0.6 seems far from release and noone wants to touch the network

Exactly why a 0.5.3 release would be nice, even if there are lot of fixes/changes you would like to see in the next version and aren't already implemented, what the hell is the problem with freezing the trunk and releasing it? It's not like saying we will never do those changes, and I guess organizing a release doesn't take a month of work.

As i already sayd, 0.53 would be great untill 0.6 is ready.

You sumarized in the right words dune  : freeze and release ;-)

0.6 is very far! look at github issues with tag 0.6.... Maybe many of theese issues have a simple solution, or someone have already found and written how to solve, but nobody can send a "pull request" for 0.6 project! So i think that Oy should create a parallel branch, than, implementation of the new feature, for 0.6 version, will can start.....

73 (edited by munyul 2011-02-18 12:57:02)

"game play innovations are needed" - if you are asking for ideas, then:

- Lightning gun (electric), does medium damage. Special feature: completely ignores armor.
- Poison dart blow pipe, does high damage (damage over time, DoT). Special feature: does 10 life points damage, but has no effect if the target has any armor and the DoT effect is removed as soon as the affected player collects any health pickups.
I mentioned these two "years" ago ... and I'd still like to see them added! wink

CarmineZ wrote:

0.6 is very far! look at github issues with tag 0.6.... Maybe many of theese issues have a simple solution, or someone have already found and written how to solve, but nobody can send a "pull request" for 0.6 project! So i think that Oy should create a parallel branch, than, implementation of the new feature, for 0.6 version, will can start.....

How can u say very far if i wrote before oy told me its close? big_smile
in my few days here in the forum it seems to me like communication between developer and community is very inactive.
It seems like nobody here really knows whats going on, only oy himself  big_smile

@munyul: For new ideas (also those which concern innovations concerning gameplay), please suggest them in this thread.