Re: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version

Oh thanks dune , i was confused

Teeworlds!!!!

Hmm are moveable Tiles and platforms impossible to code? Some maps with little floating islands to hook would be pretty. Oo

What about raspberry pi support?

In DM, if both players have a negative score, Sudden Death doesn't end until one reaches 0. I think it should end on the first kill made.

1,230 (edited by ChrisyFieldz 2013-03-13 05:07:52)

I've been in a teeworldsy mood recently, but I've always thought it would be cool if there was like a folder for the "gameskins" like "game.png" so that whenever you have multiple gameskins, you can choose which one you want to use while ingame rather than going through the process of restarting the game and renaming files and stuff.

In other words, like changing skins except with game skins.

Italic text

teesurf has this i think

Broken wrote:

teesurf has this i think

yep it does

Teeworlds!!!!

what about implementing inheritance?

in most games it really doesnt matter since people are moving slow comared to projectiles (bullets), so nearly no difference. but teeworlds is a fast game with slow projectiles, it would make a huge difference. with inheritanceit is just like in reality, it would feel more natural if you shoot a bullet forward and it flies forward, instead of coming out of your back and flying in the opposite direction where you pointed at.

i know it would need some practise for us old players getting used to new mechanics. but thinking of the FACT that iam good at wonky mechanics makes me feel bad. basically you threw away your correct understanding of physics just to be good in this game. maybe there are other players that are better but do not want to cripple their mind that much.
if you beat someone, maybe your just better at being dumb, because its dumb not to understand reality mechanics. if he aim perfect while traveling at certain speeds and considering inheritance he would miss, while you hit aiming wrong.
i dont want to win just because im better in being dumb, the first player should win. i dont try to defend something wrong in fear of losing "ranks". id gladly take the challenge and gratulate everyone who beats me because then he deserved it.

it would change the game too much, imo

1,235 (edited by Ioannisjanni 2013-03-29 13:15:25)

Arrob wrote:

what about implementing inheritance?

in most games it really doesnt matter since people are moving slow comared to projectiles (bullets), so nearly no difference. but teeworlds is a fast game with slow projectiles, it would make a huge difference. with inheritanceit is just like in reality, it would feel more natural if you shoot a bullet forward and it flies forward, instead of coming out of your back and flying in the opposite direction where you pointed at.

i know it would need some practise for us old players getting used to new mechanics. but thinking of the FACT that iam good at wonky mechanics makes me feel bad. basically you threw away your correct understanding of physics just to be good in this game. maybe there are other players that are better but do not want to cripple their mind that much.
if you beat someone, maybe your just better at being dumb, because its dumb not to understand reality mechanics. if he aim perfect while traveling at certain speeds and considering inheritance he would miss, while you hit aiming wrong.
i dont want to win just because im better in being dumb, the first player should win. i dont try to defend something wrong in fear of losing "ranks". id gladly take the challenge and gratulate everyone who beats me because then he deserved it.

Dont really like the idea , if you would do that , you could name it Battleninjalollypops2 and go sell it in steam or something, it would just make everything feel squichy and bad imo

Teeworlds!!!!

Theres a difference between simplifiing a game like removing falldamage which benefits all players the same,
and actually using wrong and confusing mechanics to make old players win just because theyre used to this wonky physics.
As i said, a player who actually takes the effort to calculate inheritance because it is how the whole world works, will loose against someone who is too stupid. i admit im also one of those old players, but i dont want to win because of being more stupid, i want to win if i am better.
But sadly most just want to win and would never give any advantage away, even if its a silly one that should never have been there. i think thats why it will never be implemented.
zero inheritance is nothing but a big bug and people fear getting worse if its fixed.

It's a nice idea, but would have to be a new game and a whole new branch of Teeworlds. It's just too drastic.

This was already suggested on github:
https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/pull/992

matricks wrote:

This is not a bug, it's a design decision I made in the very very early days. I fiddled a lot with the physics of things and movement (hooks, walljumps, jetpacks etc) and settled on not inherit the speed of the player. The game play felt more consistent and predictable. It separated the use of the weapons a bit more. The grenade launcher became good at blocking off paths even if you were flinging around at high speed but useless when chasing people. The gun and shotgun became the weapons of choice for this which felt pretty good.

I would cast my vote to let it be as it is because I haven't seen any good design arguments more then the bad one that it's more real. I my own opinion, reality sucks when you design games.

oy wrote:

I second matricks there completely - so we keep it as it is.

1,239 (edited by Arrob 2013-03-30 13:41:36)

BeaR wrote:

This was already suggested on github:
https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/pull/992

thanks for searching that out.

matricks wrote:

I would cast my vote to let it be as it is because I haven't seen any good design arguments more then the bad one that it's more real. I my own opinion, reality sucks when you design games.

i cant agree with that statement.

suggestion:
why you dont build in a mechanic that turns gravity arround if the number of seconds at the serverclock is a prime?

its so easy to make a 100% shitgame if you just build it away from reality, because thats what people are used to.
of course you can even master this new mechanic and win others, but why should you? congratulations you just mastered rubbish, because thats what this suggestion is. also ask yourself if youre used to this mechanic and win others, do you win because you are a better player, because youre more skilled, or is it just because you got used to it through hours of playing?

Well, I just implemented it in my testserver and I dont really like it
Arguing with reality gets a bit ridiculous when you are faster than the grenade or the bullet and shoot in your back ..
You would have to tweak the whole physics if you want to implement this cause without it's more or less impossible to hit someone on purpose because I don't think many players are used to move around in real world with the speed of a bullet \o/

not the speed of a bullet, but the speed of a projectile.
you know why people run before they kick the ball in football or threwing something as far as possible? why they just dont stand still while kicking/threwing? becuase teeworlds tries to teach us that its absolutely the same. im so glad that people still care for real world physics. 
imagine youre in a train, and your throw a paperplane in front of you, suddenly it turns arround and hits your face with 200 km/h, thats teeworlds.
i think you also noticed the effect gets less noticable if the projectiles move much faster than players, like in most shooters where you just run arround and bullets are more 100 times faster. i can live with no inheritance there,
but especially fast games like teeworlds, where this is not the case, need inhertance.

Tbh fast games like Teeworlds don't need shitty reality, just play battlefield 43 or call of duty 65.
Teeworlds is a game with a unique gameplay and style, there is no need to design it like any reality physics!
In Teeworlds the paper will hit your face with 200 km/h, and its good like it is.

1,243 (edited by Arrob 2013-03-30 20:03:48)

If you hate reality that much, why not implement my other suggestion?

suggestion:
why you dont build in a mechanic that turns gravity arround if the number of seconds at the serverclock is a prime?

Now i really mean it seriously. i cant see the the difference between no inheritance and this. Its a new mechanic that has absolutely nothing to do with real physics. rewards people for getting used to it, punishes skilled players.

/edit:

BeaR wrote:

Well, I just implemented it in my testserver and I dont really like it

Thats the point, if you jump in and try something new out, without being the superbest within 5min and kill everthing, people dont like it. if reality seems odd, you should start thinking if those game mechanics that caused this are good, or just bad.

/edit

Slayer *gV* wrote:

just play battlefield 43 or call of duty 65. Teeworlds is a game with a unique gameplay and style

That comment is actuallyreally strange, since right now teeworlds IS like battlefield 43 or call of duty 65, since both dont use inheritance, and I want to make it more unique. but it seems most of teeworlds players think like you and fear that they would need to play teeworlds in a different way than those cod scum. they're stuck to this 0815 garbage and want teeworlds to be the same shit. and i cant do anything more than sitting here and being sad about that sad.

Teeworlds is Teeworlds, what you're proposing would be a whole new game. It's like you came on Skyrim forums and said, why don't you devs build in machine guns? Sure it would be different than Skyrim theme, but it could be good!
See what I mean?

Arrob wrote:

That comment is actuallyreally strange, since right now teeworlds IS like battlefield 43 or call of duty 65, since both dont use inheritance

Teeworlds pretty much like tetris too, no 3D.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

1,245 (edited by Arrob 2013-03-30 20:15:06)

Dune wrote:

Teeworlds is Teeworlds, what you're proposing would be a whole new game. It's like you came on Skyrim forums and said, why don't you devs build in machine guns? Sure it would be different than Skyrim theme, but it could be good!
See what I mean?

you wont believe how many reality mods are there for skyrim, mods that increases falldamage to realistic levels, realistic ragdolls and physics mod, even mods that create a food system with disadvantages of eating to less.
its just not realistic to have machine guns in an middle ages setting, thats why i wouldnt do such shit.
currently its a better example for what IS ingame and what i try to remove, i cant understand why you dont see that.

Dune wrote:
Arrob wrote:

That comment is actuallyreally strange, since right now teeworlds IS like battlefield 43 or call of duty 65, since both dont use inheritance

Teeworlds pretty much like tetris too, no 3D.

You pull sentence out of its context. the topic is inheritance, and he compared my suggestions to other games, which are, considering the topic, absolutely the same as teeworlds, while my suggestions tries to make them different. it was just a senseless comment nvm  but dont try to defend it through pulling sentences out of the context.

Arrob wrote:

imagine youre in a train, and your throw a paperplane in front of you, suddenly it turns arround and hits your face with 200 km/h, thats teeworlds.

Sorry, but... when exactly does this happen in teeworlds?

Arrob wrote:

you wont believe how many reality mods are there for skyrim, mods that increases falldamage to realistic levels, realistic ragdolls and physics mod, even mods that create a food system with disadvantages of eating to less.
its just not realistic to have machine guns in an middle ages setting, thats why i wouldnt do such shit.
currently its a better example for what IS ingame and what i try to remove, i cant understand why you dont see that.

Feel free to mod teeworlds into whatever you want.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

1,247 (edited by Arrob 2013-03-30 21:04:26)

Slinack wrote:

Sorry, but... when exactly does this happen in teeworlds?

Everytime you reaches high speeds. easiest way to see it is to make a high map an let yourself free fall down while shooting down with bullets. youll notice that at one point the bullets travel as fast as you, means you shoot them a they float static infront of you while falling. after that all the bullets you shoot down (!) fly upwards (!) in the opposite direction where you shooted it at. the faster you go, the more crazy it gets. of curse you can see this also with vertical speed, but you need to able to get that fast, using rocketjumps etc maybe, but nothing unusual. with slower projectiles like rockets its even more easy to rech that speed, if often shoot rockets forward which then come out of my back and fly backwards on maps like ctf5 where you can get fast more easy.

Slinack wrote:

Feel free to mod teeworlds into whatever you want.

ye works perfectly with singleplayer, but i have no profit of a better teeworlds if all just play official.

Arrob wrote:

if all just play official.

Well, that's not the case, kinda.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
Arrob wrote:

if all just play official.

Well, that's not the case, kinda.

the discussion is about inheritance/no inheritance while the suggestion was made that i modify the mechanics the way i want it. in this context its quite clear that i do mean the current physics and the modified one with official/unofficial, not the vanilla vs other mods topic. and you can say that nearly everyone plays with the official mechanics.

but i dont know why i again need to repeat and explain in detail in order to prevent you from pulling my sentences out of the context into a complete other one again...

1,250 (edited by Broken 2013-03-31 00:27:16)

it would make an interesting mod. I always wanted a more powerful two star hammer and auto switch on empty to pistol, and autofire... all for the same reasons, more logical.