Re: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version

Dune wrote:

Ghitor, once again, it's not a fact that newbies will grow faster without the dynamic camera.

I'm agree with this, I built my argument based on my experience and opinion that most people find it easier to play with the dynamic camera is turned off, and the easier to learn, the faster you can do that.

@ghithor:

The thing is, not all players will play so much that they will reach the high level area. In fact it is only a very small percentage of all players. And for those who don't even want to try reaching that level but just want to play for fun a bit, dynamic camera will be a great thing. The game is just much more dynamic and all, and for those low-level/fun games, that's exactly what's making the game even more fun. If you go to the point of view that every player want's to be as good as possible and reach "near-pro-limit" disabling dynamic camera might be a good idea, but I think if you start the game for the purpose of just having a bit of fun, it is more practical to have it enabled. Especially as those players for sure won't take a deeper look into the settings tab while players who want to advance their level certainly will do so.

I didnt read all your posts but want to give my opinion:
You say that new players WILL get better with disabled dyncam, that they WILL get stronger, that they MIGHT have a chance in the high lvl haxxor fast skill scene.

But you are missing one thing: They aren't. They aren't pr0s, they aren't strong, they don't have a fast and good movement.

The only advantage you get with dyncam off might be a better CONTROL about your movement, but you cant control something you dont have.

I think newbs can play more efficient with dyncam, coz they can "see" more spots, even when they cant easily reach them, they will know whats going on. Means they have a better map control, disable dyncam would mean they would lose this advantage and wont gain anything!

Or why are some pros playing with dyncam enabled, if it is just a disadvantage?

Thanks, guys. Now I understand why it should be enabled.

Thank you for discussion. I think this issue should be added to the list in first post and marked as declined to avoid reps.

Disabled dynamic cam for default is a good idea

It feels crisper. You feel like you have more control when you switch.

(Dune you mentioned you can bind dynamic cam. How do you do that?)

Franchan wrote:

(Dune you mentioned you can bind dynamic cam. How do you do that?)

if(config.cl_mouse_deadzone)
            { // These are the commands to disable dyn cam
                config.cl_mouse_followfactor = 0;
                config.cl_mouse_max_distance = 400;
                config.cl_mouse_deadzone = 0;
            }
            else
            { // These are the commands to enable dyn cam
                config.cl_mouse_followfactor = 60;
                config.cl_mouse_max_distance = 1000;
                config.cl_mouse_deadzone = 300;
            }

You'll need to bind two buttons for dynamic cam ON and dynamic cam OFF, and bind these three commands. Example for the ON mode.

bind x "cl_mouse_followfactor = 0;cl_mouse_max_distance = 400;cl_mouse_deadzone = 0;"

It's not very pratical, I guess something should be coded so you have the ability to bind a toggle, and even a dynamic camera on-button-push.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

You'll need to bind two buttons for dynamic cam ON and dynamic cam OFF, and bind these three commands. Example for the ON mode.

bind x "cl_mouse_followfactor = 0;cl_mouse_max_distance = 400;cl_mouse_deadzone = 0;"

It's not very pratical, I guess something should be coded so you have the ability to bind a toggle, and even a dynamic camera on-button-push.

Or at least you put two .cfg files: dyn_on.cfg contains

cl_mouse_followfactor 60
cl_mouse_max_distance 1000
cl_mouse_deadzone 300
bind x exec dyn_off.cfg

And in dyn_off.cfg

cl_mouse_followfactor 0
cl_mouse_max_distance 400
cl_mouse_deadzone 0
bind x exec dyn_on.cfg

But I think that a possibility to bind it in teeworlds could be really pratical. wink

» Albert Einsteein: I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

Anti-chat-kill system. Just hear me out before you go all, "then people can cheat with it!"
I thought about it and I have an idea to prevent that. Since, I assume, the reason people are apposed to the idea is because people could hit chat for a split second right before they get hit to "shield" themselves from damage, hence, cheating, but here's how it would work: once you go into chat, all bullets/capsules/laser shots (etc) that were shot before you go into chat can still hurt you, however, all (those things I already mentioned) after you hit chat, cannot. This would prevent people from using it as a temporary shield. And with flag carriers,  it simply wouldn't work or it would ask you to drop the flag beforehand so they can't cheat either by sitting all cozy, waiting for their flag to return.

Comments? Criticism?

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

[Feature] Quick search with autofocus
Would be good to have this functionality.

@Bee, I think it will ruin the gameplay ?
Also it's quite abstract if a tee doesn't get hurt when just standing there

+ there will still be the possibility to cheat, when you're in trouble and surrounded, you hit chat , wait for your teammates to come and help you out

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

Sry Bee i don't like your idea. Seems very weird :S
But you gave me an idea: How about a new powerup? Like some sort of shield that minimizes damage for a few seconds?

Once in a century...

@Bee: If players want to chat, they should either go spec or, even better, use an instant messenger.

CuBe wrote:

+ there will still be the possibility to cheat, when you're in trouble and surrounded, you hit chat , wait for your teammates to come and help you out

That seems like a weird strategy. You'd have to hit team chat and enter your message for them to even know that you need help, which means you'd be out of chat and be able to get damage again.
Plus, if it's a map with death tiles in it, I'd just chuck them into the death tiles for being a pussy. tongue

ghost wrote:

@Bee: If players want to chat, they should either go spec or, even better, use an instant messenger.

Idealistically yes, but I know some people who aren't purely chatters but also are serious about playing and having the ability to send a quick message would be nice.

Meaning, they'd need to have two windows up? One for Teeworlds and another for like Skype or something? Seems more complicated and would mean for some they can't have Teeworlds in full screen mode anymore.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

639 (edited by Dune 2011-06-24 19:03:34)

Bee wrote:
ghost wrote:

Idealistically yes, but I know some people who aren't purely chatters but also are serious about playing and having the ability to send a quick message would be nice.

I don't know if these players are that slow at typing, but to write short messages it shouldn't take that much time. I usually just go in a corner, chat for 3/4s, and come back in-game, usually in time to take no damage and only loose the chatting time as something I could have used to grab the flag.

Another problem with this kill protection would be obviously 1n1 on DM and TDM gametypes where you'd like to end the game.
Also, you could camp on the ninja spawn point, and only 'wake up' to grab it.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Also, you could camp on the ninja spawn point, and only 'wake up' to grab it.

I guess you're right. But I'd just drag him away from it and use it myself. wink However, some type of anti-chat-kill time count down, might help. Like clicking on the player's talk bubble, brings up the option to start a 5 second count down before the player's chat "shield" is brought down which would help, in the point you brought up, to let the player finishing what he's saying if he's legitimately talking and for the game not to be at a stand still.
Oh, and, in case the player wants to immediately chat again for protection, let's say that having a player count down you makes you unable to chat again safely for some amount of time. Say, 10 or 15 seconds? Maybe even more since player's really don't need to be talking that much.

641 (edited by Dune 2011-06-24 22:57:30)

The real problem about that is that this is not really needed, and create some counter-inutitive physics. When I shoot to someone, I expect him to die. That doesn't make much sense:

http://duneudne.free.fr/Teeworlds/physics.png

No, it's not a city map, I just can't draw anything else

Not Luck, Just Magic.

It's exactly as Dune says: A feature like that is not really needed and it creates more problems than it solves.

Going into death tiles would still kill you, it's just that everything else wouldn't.
I personally thought it would be a neat feature. Not needed (of course) but neat. And I personally don't have a problem with grasping the idea of someone not dying when I shoot him.
This feature can be on the back burner of programming, I don't mind, but I wouldn't want to throw the idea out all together because it's "not needed". A lot of things aren't needed but are nice to have. Like really cool updated graphics aren't needed in any shape or form but is nice to have.

Bad idea still, lulols.

Is there a feature to cancel the server list loading? Somtimes, when I see the server I want to join, it keeps moving down... fast.

@Bee it wouldnt be "nice to have":
- could be abused as cheat
- 5 seconds "chat shield" with 10-15seconds cooldown and you can still die through deathtiles...KISS says NO!
- 5 seconds shield -> poor opponent player, he has to waste 5 seconds to kill you? sad
- if you think smalltalk > match, the match cant be that important, to get killed wouldnt be that dramatic
- if you want to talk with your team 'bout tactics...use binds! Its the only thing chat binds are good for :\

PS Dune: I love your graphics skill, pls more smile

646 (edited by Dune 2011-06-25 21:55:41)

alias wrote:

Is there a feature to cancel the server list loading? Somtimes, when I see the server I want to join, it keeps moving down... fast.

I'm not sure it would be very useful to implement something to cancel the server list loading and it wouldn't be that simple to implement because you would have to stop to send requests AND to refuse incoming ones. I think it would be better to have a button to focus on the center of the window the server you clicked on. Like, you click on some server, press H, and it locks the scrolling.
This said, if anyone can provide a patch for a function to stop the server list loading, I think that'd be good, I've seen so much people complaining about that.

PS: Slayer, I'll never compete with AMN pro drawing :/

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

- could be abused as cheat

That is still to be proven. tongue

Slayer *gV* wrote:

- 5 seconds "chat shield" with 10-15seconds cooldown and you can still die through deathtiles...KISS says NO!

I don't understand your argument...

Slayer *gV* wrote:

- 5 seconds shield -> poor opponent player, he has to waste 5 seconds to kill you? sad

If he really wants to kill you instead of going on to kill someone else, then yes. He'd have to wait anyway for someone to get out of chat if he has any self-respect.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

- if you think smalltalk > match, the match cant be that important, to get killed wouldnt be that dramatic

In some cases, you'd be right; in others you'd be wrong. I am a very serious player sometimes but I do, every one in a while, want to send a quick message but I am still taking the game seriously, although other times I'm just fooling around and don't mind when people chat kill me because I'm not really talking the game seriously. wink

Slayer *gV* wrote:

- if you want to talk with your team 'bout tactics...use binds! Its the only thing chat binds are good for :\

I'm not limiting my reasons for implementation for only that.

Seriously, if you want to chat, do it elsewhere. And if sending a short message is that important, you should not care about being killed in that time anyways. Also what's soooo bad about being killed? You respawn... and the one who killed you get's 1 score... and? What's the problem with that, especially if you rather chat than play?

As said earlier, this thing makes more problems than it solves, and it will create some really strange and ugly behavior, so if we follow the KISS principle, the clear answer to this feature is no.
You can try going on github and create an issue there, but I can already tell you Oy's answer to that, and I guess you know the answer by now.

I really want to see laser bounces to be 3 damage. Its been discussed frequently and I want to see developers final word on this issue.

Personally I would like it alot (even though I am bad with the laser and I get alot of bounce hits )

my argument is that its not a problem of luck but its that most bounce laser hits are unintentional and intentional bouncing lasers are rarely seen.

I don`t think this should be in the next version but I really think modders and developers could give DOM a chance (maybe introduce as a mod again). There were not alot of  players for DOM when it was out but I think it has great potential to be a good gametype (racing type gameplay getting between flagzones, dm tdm type gameplay around flag, ctf type gameplay by way of map control).
OF course it needs better maps than the original dom (which suffered from bad movement and too crampd flag areas) but I think it shows promise if other people play.

Dune wrote:

I think it would be better to have a button to focus on the center of the window the server you clicked on. Like, you click on some server, press H, and it locks the scrolling.

What if you can't click on the server because it's moving so fast? o_o