Re: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version

Whats about a higher max client limit? But only more spectator slots...mean like a client limit of 32 but 16 are ONLY spectator slots?
So players would be able to spectate matches without blocking ingame slots for players

I had this idea like for ever but always forgot to suggest it >.<

So here it is:
How about when a player is authenticated to the rcon he marked in the score board? For instance:
Situation A: No player is authenticated to the rcon => Score board is normal
Situation B: A player is authenticated to the rcon => That player is added into a special section in the score board.

1. An alternative is not to be added to a special section but rather his name to be in other color. (Red for example,as  rcon is red smile)

2. For DDRace there could be 3 extra section:"Helpers";"Moderators";"Admins"

3. I think this is useful for knowing who is the admin. (So you don't accidentally anger him or block him big_smile) Just press "tab" and you know who's boss...

I don't know if you understood it...Can somebody make a gfx?

Once in a century...

Elite Tee wrote:

So here it is:
How about when a player is authenticated to the rcon he marked in the score board? For instance:
Situation A: No player is authenticated to the rcon => Score board is normal
Situation B: A player is authenticated to the rcon => That player is added into a special section in the score board.

1. An alternative is not to be added to a special section but rather his name to be in other color. (Red for example,as  rcon is red smile)

2. For DDRace there could be 3 extra section:"Helpers";"Moderators";"Admins"

3. I think this is useful for knowing who is the admin. (So you don't accidentally anger him or block him big_smile) Just press "tab" and you know who's boss...

2. We dont support mods, even not DDRace
3. The best way to dont anger an admin is to be friendly to everyone (:

I saw no direct connection to him wanting support for mods in his post. I only saw that he suggested implementing DDrace-like features into vanilla gametypes.

Although, I would have to agree that the motive to wanting to know who the admin is so you don't piss him off, is based on the assumption that you already aren't being friendly to everyone, which would be your problem not ours; hence: dumb reason.
However, knowing who the admin is because you wanted to: suggests ways to enhance his sever, talk about how to set-up severs or sever related Q&A, or ask for map switching/kicking (annoying) players/a time restart/changing the gametype (if there are no votes for that, of course), then that is a more reasonable request.

It's definitely not dire but it'd be cool to see in the next release. wink

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Bee wrote:

However, knowing who the admin is because you wanted to: suggests ways to enhance his sever, talk about how to set-up severs or sever related Q&A, or ask for map switching/kicking (annoying) players/a time restart/changing the gametype (if there are no votes for that, of course), then that is a more reasonable request.

Then the admin should put his email address in the MOTD so he won't be bothered when he just wants to play.

spl0k, aka Al`. From the HuH clan.
Noobing pwns since 01/01/1970.
TeeViewer - TeeComp

Bee wrote:

I only saw that he suggested implementing DDrace-like features into vanilla gametypes.

Afaik DDRace doesn't have this either...So that's not true...

You didn't get the reason: About that block and anger thing,I was kidding (but you could consider it as a side reason). The real reason is curiosity smile

Once in a century...

In game pause: Bad idea ._.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

In game pause: Bad idea ._.

It's only for admins; say they wanted to organize a cap's game and everyone is being rebellious, pausing would help gain everyone's attention and stop the chaos.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

609 (edited by ghithor 2011-06-23 10:06:31)

I didn't read all posts, but not found my issue in the first post.

I propose make dynamic cam turned off by default. At this point, it greatly increases the gap between the novice and pro players.

At first, I played with the dynamic camera, because objectively thought it was much better, because I could see a greater distance. So I played a couple of months (or even about year), and I thought that I'm playing not bad. But sometimes I met the players who have played a hundred times better. I could not oppose nothing to them. So, I went to the forum, hoping to find information on how I can play better. And in one of the posts, I found information that might have to disable dynamic cam and increase the speed of the mouse. Only one disabling dynamic cam allowed to raise my level of play to a new level. I became a much better move and use the hook. So, disabling the dynamic cam, turned me from a newbie to semi pro in a short time.

Now, novices often ask me, why I always rotating my gun. They think that this is some kind of cheating. And almost always I find that they using dynamic cam with wich you can't use high mouse speed. For many, the disabling of dynamic cam is a revelation. So why do not we get rid of this?

On the other hand, there are players on the map ctf5 wich hiding with the flag above or below of flagbase. They choose these places, so that they could not be seen without the dynamic camera from flagbase and you're forced to run in these places in search of flagkeeper. This is annoying and reduces the dynamics of the game. It would be nice if dynamic cam was enabled while you pressing a button, like zoom in Quake :) But it is not so nessesary as turn it off by default.

ghithor wrote:

I didn't read all posts, but not found my issue in the first post.

I propose make dynamic cam turned off by default. At this point, it greatly increases the gap between the novice and pro players.

At first, I played with the dynamic camera, because objectively thought it was much better, because I could see a greater distance. So I played a couple of months (or even about year), and I thought that I'm playing not bad. But sometimes I met the players who have played a hundred times better. I could not oppose nothing to them. So, I went to the forum, hoping to find information on how I can play better. And in one of the posts, I found information that might have to disable dynamic cam and increase the speed of the mouse. Only one disabling dynamic cam allowed to raise my level of play to a new level. I became a much better move and use the hook. So, disabling the dynamic cam, turned me from a newbie to semi pro in a short time.

Now, novices often ask me, why I always rotating my gun. They think that this is some kind of cheating. And almost always I find that they using dynamic cam with wich you can't use high mouse speed. For many, the disabling of dynamic cam is a revelation. So why do not we get rid of this?

On the other hand, there are players on the map ctf5 wich hiding with the flag above or below of flagbase. They choose these places, so that they could not be seen without the dynamic camera from flagbase and you're forced to run in these places in search of flagkeeper. This is annoying and reduces the dynamics of the game. It would be nice if dynamic cam was enabled while you pressing a button, like zoom in Quake smile But it is not so nessesary as turn it off by default.

Just for info, you can already bind the dynamic camera on a button. About your thoughts that the dynamic camera should be turned off by default, well, I feel like newbies need to think there is such a camera available if they want to train with it, before they choose the static.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

611 (edited by ghithor 2011-06-23 11:13:23)

Dune wrote:

Just for info, you can already bind the dynamic camera on a button.

Thanks. But I can't find how to do that from game settings.

Dune wrote:

I feel like newbies need to think there is such a camera available if they want to train with it, before they choose the static.

I believe that it makes no sense and even harmful. What percentage of pro players using dynamic cam? Seems like info about disabling dyncam is like "secret knowledge". It is very difficult to find information on this forum that with disabled dynamic camera is a lot easier and more efficient  to play. Those newbies who want to be pro players will think that turning off the camera is bad. I do not want to turn it off because I thought that would lose the advantage, and never thought I would get in return. This is a normal psychological reaction, which is a hindrance to the learning process. So why put a spoke in the wheel for beginners?

I am sure that this is also the reason that many novice players call pro players cheaters. They can not even figure out how to move in this way. They can not physically go to the next level until they disable dynamic camera.

I also think that with this change, we'll get a much larger influx of good players in the game. Capable players will go the way from beginner to pro player much faster. Correspondingly, game will be more interesting as for pro players and for beginners.

In addition, the camera can always be enabled, and found what it is. It is always easier turn something on in the program, than turn off, because you think, if this is enabled, then it should be, it is good and we should use these settings.

Disable the dynamic camera is the de facto standard for pro players. Especially, it is possible to dynamically enable it. From this perspective, the ability to permanently enable dynamic cam should be removed at all.

ghithor wrote:

I believe that it makes no sense and even harmful. What percentage of pro players using dynamic cam? Seems like info about disabling dyncam is like "secret knowledge". It is very difficult to find information on this forum that with disabled dynamic camera is a lot easier and more efficient  to play. Those newbies who want to be pro players will think that turning off the camera is bad. I do not want to turn it off because I thought that would lose the advantage, and never thought I would get in return. This is a normal psychological reaction, which is a hindrance to the learning process. So why put a spoke in the wheel for beginners?

I am sure that this is also the reason that many novice players call pro players cheaters. They can not even figure out how to move in this way. They can not physically go to the next level until they disable dynamic camera.

I also think that with this change, we'll get a much larger influx of good players in the game. Capable players will go the way from beginner to pro player much faster. Correspondingly, game will be more interesting as for pro players and for beginners.

In addition, the camera can always be enabled, and found what it is. It is always easier turn something on in the program, than turn off, because you think, if this is enabled, then it should be, it is good and we should use these settings.

Disable the dynamic camera is the de facto standard for pro players. Especially, it is possible to dynamically enable it. From this perspective, the ability to permanently enable dynamic cam should be removed at all.

I really think you're missing something when you speak about a "spoke in the wheel for beginners" or "can not physically go to the next level". There is a decent number of 'pro' - so you call them - players using the dynamic camera, maybe with a lower range. I don't know where you got this information from, but the dynamic camera is completely viable in the competitive scene. You cannot objectively say anyone will play better without the dynamic camera, it really depends on the personality IMO.
At least I know a lot of good vanilla players using this camera, and they've got the same moves as you, it's just a matter of getting used to.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

613 (edited by ghithor 2011-06-23 11:38:16)

Dune wrote:

I don't know where you got this information from, but the dynamic camera is completely viable in the competitive scene. You cannot objectively say anyone will play better without the dynamic camera, it really depends on the personality IMO.
At least I know a lot of good vanilla players using this camera, and they've got the same moves as you, it's just a matter of getting used to.

I was trying to get used to it very long time, but I have not got, I do not think that I the only one. Definitely easier to play with disabled dynamic cam. It is unlikely that you will argue with that. I have no examples of good players who use dyncam but I know good players who have become so only after disabling dyncam. Using dynamic cam is like next level and those players ho wants to get it can enable dyncam.

I have given enough arguments in favor of disabling by default dynamic camera. What arguments do you have in favor of to leave it as is, except one in your first post?

ghithor wrote:

I have no examples of good players who use dyncam

Jut tell the gametype and watch me bust your a**!

ghithor wrote:

Definitely easier to play with disabled dynamic cam, but I know good players who have become so only after disabling dyncam.

Liar!

ghithor wrote:

I have given enough arguments in favor of disabling by default dynamic camera. What arguments do you have in favor of to leave it as is, except one in your first post?

This has been discussed about 100 times before and it's left as it is, because it's a part of the game play everyone should try! Adds a little action to the game, makes it not so boring and static, was on since it got coded. Want more :?

Now could you please stop spamming the topic?

I do not want to copy-paste here so just give link http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopi … 382#p55382

As Dune said: Having static cam isn't absolutely gonna make you better. It depends from player to player. Just MOST players go better without dynacam.

And as for new players with dynacam...well,they'll have to learn. Start from the beginning. And who knows,maybe they're better with dynacam. So I don't see a reason to completely remove dynacam...

Once in a century...

Elite Tee wrote:

As Dune said: Having static cam isn't absolutely gonna make you better. It depends from player to player. Just MOST players go better without dynacam.

And as for new players with dynacam...well,they'll have to learn. Start from the beginning. And who knows,maybe they're better with dynacam. So I don't see a reason to completely remove dynacam...

Not remove, just disabled by default. Everyone still can try it. If the most of players playing the de facto without a dynamic camera, then why keep it enabled by default?

618 (edited by ghost 2011-06-23 12:21:21)

It is a matter of fact that most pro players have dynamic camera disabled. It just fast moves a lot easier. However, there have been players using the dynamic camera on a very high level successfully (e.g. denial). If you master fast moves with dynamic camera switched on, it can give you a great benefit. This however is a hard task.

In my opinion it can be left activated as standard. Especially in low - mid level games it can help players. If players want to advance their playing style and try to reach a higher level, they are going to experience with the settings sooner or later anyways.

Maybe a thread in the forum which clarifies the benefits and disadvantages of certain settings would be useful. There are even some settings which are not accessible via the settings page which do have a massive effect on how the player uses the mouse (e.g. cl_mouse_deadzone, cl_mouse_followfactor, cl_mouse_max_distance). Those settings are listed in the documentation, but how changing these actually "feels" is not really documented. Maybe there should even be a part in the documentation for that.

ghithor wrote:

If the most of players playing the de facto without a dynamic camera, then why keep it enabled by default?

Only most "pro" players have it disabled. But the game is not only about pro players, and for low to mid level dynamic camera might be good.

619 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2011-06-23 12:55:40)

ghithor wrote:

Not remove, just disabled by default. Everyone still can try it. If the most of players playing the de facto without a dynamic camera, then why keep it enabled by default?

What did you say?

ghithor wrote:

Damn it! Is it so hard to understand??? New players will just have to learn. You can't just step into the action being all "pro". You have to A-D-V-A-N-C-E.  Having static cam is NOT the definition of being a pro player!

Once in a century...

@Elite Tee: You are misunderstanding him. He aid if there is a way to enable/disable dynamic camera dynamically, we can remove from being a permanent option. However, it is not possible to enable it on key press and disable it on key release with the current bind system. Also I think it should still be a permanent option for those who want to play it permanently.

621 (edited by ghithor 2011-06-23 13:41:11)

ghost wrote:

In my opinion it can be left activated as standard. Especially in low - mid level games it can help players. If players want to advance their playing style and try to reach a higher level, they are going to experience with the settings sooner or later anyways.

When I turned off the dynamic camera, I began to feel as if I'm in a completely new game. And I like it much more. I'm afraid, that many players are never going to experience with the settings, and the reasons I explained above.

Lets look into two situations:
1) Dyncam enabled by default:
The skill of most players, who (in a theoretical future) will play without dynamic cam, will grow slowly until they turn off the dynamic camera. Only after they ask themselves "How can I play better?" and found that they can play better without dynamic cam, their skill will grow instantly. Not everyone will ask himself such question.
In the same time we have least number of players that are good with dynamic cam and growing fast (but not really fast because it is harder to learn with dyncam).

2) Dyncam disabled by default:
The skill of most players will grow faster, because they prefer to play without dyncam. They don't need to ask themselfs question how to play better because there no such barrier they need to pass. But if they ask, they always can turn dyncam on, and try to improve their skill. The army of good players will grow much faster. It will make game better and community wider.
On the other hand, those players who play better with dynamic cam, will have no problems with enabling it. When something is turned off, it is interesting to turn it on and see what happens.

-----
Many newbies even never try new gameplay that you getting when disabling dyncam. Practically they have no choice because "How can I play better if I rid of this advantage?". I turned off dynamic cam only thanks to highskill players' posts on forum that says that they playing without dyncam.

I see that this option is immeasurably increases the gap between the newbies and the good players.

And last: if this option directed to low and mid level players, why auto switch weapon on pickup turned off by default? It's prerogative of high level players.

P.S.: I wrote this, because experienced the impact of this option on my skill growing.  I'm trying to allow people like me avoid my fate.

(a noob asks himself) Hmmm...what is in these options anyway? Duh! If they really wanna be better they could at least try to find an answer. (look in options for example?) Not just sit and yell at the monitor:"I want to get better at teeworlds!!!!!"

Once in a century...

Why you so angry? I know that I saying right things and I'm trying to understand your feeling about that. I can't understand, why you trying to find my mistakes (english not my native language) instead of help me to adopt your point of view?

Ghitor, once again, it's not a fact that newbies will grow faster without the dynamic camera. It is true for your personal case, but I'm really not convinced newbies would struggle with improving their skills if they have the dynamic camera on.
@Elite Tee: you definitely can't expect the noobs to watch into the Settings and uncheck the Dynamic Camera. As far as I'm concerned, in my beginning times, I've quickly given a look to the Settings, and didn't understand what 90% of them did, including the Dynamic Camera.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Hey guys!

I agree with ghithor.
I would suggest disable dynamic camera by default and make a hot key for a dynamic camera (and maybe rename it to "Use binoculars", perhaps with a change in skin of Tee cool )

Cheers