Topic: Annoying lag

Hi, there.

I have a serious problem with Teeworlds. I really enjoy it, but since some weeks ago, I've been experiencing a serious lag. I'm not able to aim, my tee moves backwards and forwards when I'm playing and it's difficult to use the chain without falling.

I've asked some players and some of them have lag and some don't, so I don't understand anything.
My Internet connection works properly, and everything does except Teeworlds.
I've installed the Nvidia drivers on Linux Mint 19 but the problem persists.
I've disabled VSync and I have tried different fps settings, even I've disabled it.
I've installed everything it reads in "readme" document, but nothing seems to work.

Do you have any solution for that, please?

Thanks so much indeed.

Re: Annoying lag

Is it network or graphical lag? Have you tried changing servers?
What is your ping? (Tab, last column on the scoreboard)
Does your FPS value have drops? (f1 -> cl_showfps 1 or ctrl+shift+d, ctrl+shift+g, look at the framerate graph).

From what you've described, it's probably on the network side though. If you're on wireless it could be packet drops (but that looks too strong for that). If you have the opportunity (eg laptop or 4g), try with a different internet network

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Is it network or graphical lag? Have you tried changing servers?
What is your ping? (Tab, last column on the scoreboard)
Does your FPS value have drops? (f1 -> cl_showfps 1 or ctrl+shift+d, ctrl+shift+g, look at the framerate graph).

From what you've described, it's probably on the network side though. If you're on wireless it could be packet drops (but that looks too strong for that). If you have the opportunity (eg laptop or 4g), try with a different internet network

Hi, there. Thanks so much for your help and sorry for not answering fast.

I have to say it didn't happen to me before, when I had the previous version installed in my computer (running Linux Mint). But I had to get the new version because the previous one was full of bots named 123456789 or abcdefghi, etc., so people left the game and moved to the new version. I can't, then, go back to Teeworlds 0.6.

I have to say my internet works perfect, connected to it by cable. This is the only game I can't play properly.
I've tried disconnecting V-sync and I've changed a lot of things in the configuration place, but still doesn't work properly.

My tee moves by itself, the chain doesn't work properly, when I'm running, suddenly I fall down, the other tees kill me before I can kill them, etc.
I've asked some people playing and they say they are experiencing the same lags.
Regarding the ping, sometimes it reads 150 and sometimes 60, but still the same annoying problem.

I really love this game and I would like to play properly, but I'm starting to think I will not be able to play it again in these conditions.

Any other solution apart from FPS?

Thanks so much.

andresgmb wrote:

I have to say it didn't happen to me before, when I had the previous version installed in my computer (running Linux Mint). But I had to get the new version because the previous one was full of bots named 123456789 or abcdefghi, etc., so people left the game and moved to the new version. I can't, then, go back to Teeworlds 0.6.

That is due to IP spoofing and was fixed in 0.6.5. The DDoS vulnerabilities though, are only fixed in 0.7.

andresgmb wrote:

I have to say my internet works perfect, connected to it by cable. This is the only game I can't play properly.
I've tried disconnecting V-sync and I've changed a lot of things in the configuration place, but still doesn't work properly.

Okay, so it's probably not that.

andresgmb wrote:

My tee moves by itself, the chain doesn't work properly, when I'm running, suddenly I fall down, the other tees kill me before I can kill them, etc.
I've asked some people playing and they say they are experiencing the same lags.
Regarding the ping, sometimes it reads 150 and sometimes 60, but still the same annoying problem.

I have not heard of this kind of lag before. If the other people are experiencing the same lag, then it is probably due to the server. 150 is kinda high. Have you tried changing servers?

Could you use ctrl+shift+d, and ctrl+shift+g, and screenshot when a freeze happens?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

5 (edited by andresgmb 2019-07-11 17:15:40)

Dune wrote:
andresgmb wrote:

That is due to IP spoofing and was fixed in 0.6.5. The DDoS vulnerabilities though, are only fixed in 0.7.

andresgmb wrote:

Okay, so it's probably not that.

andresgmb wrote:

I have not heard of this kind of lag before. If the other people are experiencing the same lag, then it is probably due to the server. 150 is kinda high. Have you tried changing servers?

Could you use ctrl+shift+d, and ctrl+shift+g, and screenshot when a freeze happens?

Hi, there again!

Thanks so much for your answer. smile

I did it when it froze and something weird happens. At the beginning, everything is normal, as always. Then, lag starts and a tee without any gun follows me.
I suppose this tee is mine showing how it would be without any lag. Is it right?

I'd like to show you the images, but I don't know how to upload them.

Thanks again for your support smile

EDIT: I've realised when I shoot it's not my tee the one that shoots but the other one following me. That would explain why it's so difficult for me to kill the other tees. The direction I shoot is not the correct one.

It is normal to have a "ghost" tee following you in this debug mode.

andresgmb wrote:

I'd like to show you the images, but I don't know how to upload them

F10 by default to screenshot, then you can upload it anywhere, for example http://imgur.com

Not Luck, Just Magic.

7 (edited by andresgmb 2019-07-17 18:07:19)

Dune wrote:

It is normal to have a "ghost" tee following you in this debug mode.

andresgmb wrote:

I'd like to show you the images, but I don't know how to upload them

F10 by default to screenshot, then you can upload it anywhere, for example http://imgur.com

Thanks so much, indeed. smile

I knew how to take a screenshot hehehe.

There you go! https://imgur.com/a/yt6U4SJ

EDIT: Pinging google.com from Linux Mint:

Min ping: 11 ms
Average ping: 20 ms.

So my internet connection works perfect.