Topic: Broadcast command in teeworlds 0.7

Can someone give me a explanation why the broadcast command was deleted in 0.7?
It's a really useful feature for mods and server admins.
I can't see a reason why this should be removed.

Take a look at: https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/ … 9722410d0d

I hope someone could explain this.
Bye

Re: Broadcast command in teeworlds 0.7

Because it is bot needed anymore, most notifications have specific display methods (team changing etc.)

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

So, you aren't going to see stuff like this in 0.7?

http://ninslash.com/img/infa.jpg

4 (edited by east 2015-12-06 11:07:10)

Siile wrote:

Right.

That's a huge disadvantage for modifications.

east wrote:
Siile wrote:

Right.

That's a huge disadvantage for modifications.

Not only for modifications. It's a good communication option for server admins too. You can announce a server event or something like that.

TW staff doesn't like mods.. Is sad..

It was used for admin abuse on vanilla servers anyways. Im only sad because of the mods that used it.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

8 (edited by Schwertspize 2015-12-06 21:14:48)

so basically we have to stick on lol font. not good, but. possible (you can also send it to just one player). maybe there is a lolfont rewrite which does not use just dots, also longer rifle lines)

.. you all know lol text I hope. (the ones written with laser, eg score in fng,...). some have just to create a typeset and a basic implementation (we could actually send it as up pest layer over everything in the map

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Chat messages, MOTD and votes are also alternatives.

I don't like lol font because it's not well integrated with the game and new players can be disappointed with them.

not sure what all you mean by 'lol font', but legitimatly administrated vanilla servers don't have any broadcast spam from the administrators. the github commit -- the idea behind adding localization-able messages is good, but removing broadcast is irrelevant to that commit and should've not removed broadcast. but that commit also seems to add broadcasting code at the same time? I can't and havent tested 0.7, but if you're basing this purely on the github commit, i'd like to remind that "broadcast" is the command to broadcast not "sv_broadcast" (servervariable_broadcast)

here's where it adds code about broadcast:
https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/ … f003503R22

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

It is not a discussion wether it got removed, it rather is about why.

Ans it definetly got removed, thats not the question here, Spur commit is 3 years old by the way, just check the current code for it.

What's the value of removing broadcast? If the plan was to kill the mods, congrats! I'm not writing another line. tongue

13 (edited by xush 2015-12-07 14:36:59)

Boycotts are not leading anywhere here... After what you just said... Go ahead, stop modding, not too much of a loss then.

It's just that all my future mod plans take too heavy impact. Story telling, be it as simple as 'Planting bomb.. 76%' or 'Wave 2', class / ability / weapon pickers like in InfectionClass... Dead ideas.

15 (edited by pelya 2015-12-07 19:17:05)

All mods will stay on 0.6 branch and won't update to 0.7, 'boycott' will be as simple as that.
A lot of 0.6 servers will stay online for a looooong time anyway after 0.7 will be released.

I'll be porting bro, already did EXPlorer and a few other mods yet.

xush wrote:

I'll be porting bro, already did EXPlorer and a few other mods yet.

Nice bro! Please tell us how you replaced the missing broadcast. And no, vote/chat/motd are no solutions.

I will be banned if I troll again ...

18 (edited by xush 2015-12-07 23:44:03)

I did a temporary solution, show turrets health in the chat every 5 hit points lost. I'll release the sources at 24. December when 0.7 comes out too (hopefully) so we can think about a few issues mainly related to that together.

What about an separate 'chatbox' wich keeps servermessages (no fading out)?

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

20 (edited by Deepfinder 2015-12-08 18:19:22)

xush wrote:

so we can think about a few issues mainly related to that together.

Lel, why after the release? Thats very stupid, stop trolling. We should do something now!

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Deepfinder wrote:

Lel, why after the release? Thats very stupid, stop trolling. We should do something now!

Yeah u re right, do something nao.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

u meen liek rite nao???

https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … pid=116820

Here you go. Also a anti-Deepfinder-and-Schwertspize-leaking protection @ https://github.com/xushTW/EXPRemake/blo … /readme.md

@xush what do you mean? big_smile maybe you missed it but I am a big friend of source code. Actually I hate it that teeworlds license don't have a copyleft (copyleft=same license=mostly opensource)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

24 (edited by SealOfTheTime 2015-12-13 11:58:31)

Someone will make custom client, which will support mods much better than vanilla. Like sending custom graphics, draw scripts etc. Or some mod-developers sooner or later will port their mods to 0.7 with some cutted down features, others will stop modding or playing game.

Makes me wonder why do we need chat in game ether, I've seen more users abusing it then mods/admins abusing broadcast tongue

BBCodes I'd like to see: [youtube]