26 (edited by Zatline 2015-06-06 22:45:44)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

ChillerDragon wrote:
Zatline wrote:
HeroiAmarelo wrote:

I think the game needs a better trailer, description and icon... But yeah, this is a big day on Teeworlds history and I'm totally exited on seeing the game grow!

Good luck guys!

Have to agree with that ... it need's some more professional look, luckely there might be SkizZ who could make a sweet trailer / presentation video someday. smile gotta talk to him as soon as possible.

ShReKo made one. But SkizZ is awesome too i am looking forwad to his trailer o.O

I didn't say he will make one, I said he could make one someday ... cuz I know that he would be intereasted in it when the game gets new attention ... which could happen with having Teeworlds on Steam! big_smile

heinrich5991 wrote:

I thought about these two videos as well, I think "Casualtee" would fit better than "Ubu teeworlds movie".

I suppose we could use "Casualtee" instead of the current "Sateesfaction". What do others think?

Also, if someone wants propose a different description or logo, I'm also happy to hear about it, the current ones are based only on my limited imagination.

I think Ubu teeworlds movie fits much better. The soundtrack is very original and a lot more Teeworlds-ish, and I like the editing and the gameplay a bit better.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

heinrich5991 wrote:
HMH wrote:

Having Teeworlds on Steam finally is really great in my opinion but as already pointed out a good beginners guide to introduce new Tees into the game is required urgently now.

@trailer: I never got why there is only that one video on the mainpage, why not this one here: Casualtee it fits way better to the fast style of Teeworlds imo.

Regarding trailer, see above. I also think that a Teeworlds tutorial would be nice. I guess a simple video won't cut it, but an actual tutorial in-game is probably hard to do as well – so I don't really know what to pursue.

Good work with the trailer! smile

Regarding the tutorial: I think even a tutorial for the GUI might be better than nothing. A bit like the username dialogue appearing on the first start-up. Just a few dialogues with arrows pointing at the most important elements of the GUI (server browser, search function, filters [how to "enable" mods!], ...). Don't know how hard that might be, but I think it should be a relatively easy solution for the start.
I don't know how 0.7 might already have solved the relatively confusing GUI for beginners, although.

The easiest way to realize a gameplay tutorial might be the way how it was already suggested a few times:
A few pinned servers with a tutorial map. The map could be seperated in a few areas, each containing a few instructions written in the map with a font tile set: basic controls, weapons and pick-ups, movement techniques.
Then there could be some bots for training: Some static ones as target practice, some moving and hammering/shooting ones as combat practice.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

JonastheRoman wrote:

The easiest way to realize a gameplay tutorial might be the way how it was already suggested a few times:
A few pinned servers with a tutorial map. The map could be seperated in a few areas, each containing a few instructions written in the map with a font tile set

Having the instructions built into the map itself would be a poor method, as maps are only able to have one language in them and the game has translations into so many languages that would then be missing out. Having broadcasts or other such sent to the player would be a better method, though I don't know how compatible that would be with the game.

I've got two FNG maps which are close to ready for public release, hopefully they'll be on the forums soon! Aforementioned maps are on the back burner. Still doing mapping, but have higher priority map projects.
It should never take 45 seconds to download a map for anyone with a decent connection.

30 (edited by Sonix 2015-06-07 08:19:04)

Having to translate the tutorial in other languages is a lot of work and it also will take a lot of time to be completed: look how long the 4 new lines that have to be translated for the 0.6.4 are taking..
I'd say keep 1 official tutorial in English, imo, maybe with some pictures or something..

31 (edited by pixe1 2015-06-07 08:36:51)

Should have went for a more trailer-esque video showing the gameplay, mapeditor and customization abilities in general (mods, playerskins, gameskins etc) instead of a video strolling arround here for about 3(?) years

Edit: nevermind, you talked about this bit earlier

32 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-06-07 12:11:33)

Deku / mint-pi wrote:

Having the instructions built into the map itself would be a poor method, as maps are only able to have one language in them and the game has translations into so many languages that would then be missing out. Having broadcasts or other such sent to the player would be a better method, though I don't know how compatible that would be with the game.

Yeah, this would be certainly better. I just thought it would be far easier to realize than such a tutorial. Like Sonix said, an English tutorial would be better than nothing to start with.

Edit: Also, who wrote the new description? Sounds nice! smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile

33 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-07 19:59:27)

pixe1 wrote:

Should have went for a more trailer-esque video showing the gameplay, mapeditor and customization abilities in general (mods, playerskins, gameskins etc) instead of a video strolling arround here for about 3(?) years

Please, add some information about mods (at least the most known ones - DDRace, OpenFNG, zCatch, Instagib, Battle, Infection, Alien, Bomb, Football) and some footage from them (as a second, separate video), so the people who are not into shooter games would also be interested. I understand that vanilla is the most important, but we should also mention big communities like DDNet, KoG, F.E.A.R, TeeVision, GIE, etc. The skins are also worth mentioning.

Ah, and the most important thing - will the project still be OpenSource and moddable by changing the server source code? And how we will handle the influx of new players? To be honest, I started discussion about Teeworlds on Steam a long time ago (here: [click]), but now I'm not so convinced myself... after some time I started to think that changes are not necessarily a good thing (especially in almost perfect product, like Teeworlds).

If we stick to using Steam only as another way to download a game, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad... but anyway, I'm a bit worried. It's surprising how one's view of some problem may change over time. Also, from today's point of view, the topic I wrote in the past was extremly biased, so I repaired it as I could.

Nice to see Teeworlds on Steam... but how Fifi says.. i'm a bit worried. Why? Why now?

Don't worry. Teeworlds will stay the way it is - open source/free/moddable. That's just another way to download/play the game and widen the player base.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

36 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-07 19:33:25)

Thank you Oy. smile I was really scared that I started an avalanche of bad changes by that old topic of mine.

My concern is the increase in excess the cheaters...

38 (edited by Broken 2015-06-07 22:48:54)

I always felt Ubu's movie Casualtee was his best trailer. In fact it's the one TW video that inspired me to attempt to play competitively. It's fast paced epic music more expresses the twitch reaction fighting TW encompasses, and it includes more double grenade kills and the famous "Ubu dive shot." Also it's shorter (attention span).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lxU40mBj9k

EDIT: Sorry guys, I just saw others above agree with me.

heinrich5991 wrote:
lolo wrote:

In the trailer Teeworlds is shown without the dynamic camera. Then please change the default setting on the camera in is not dynamic (I think so play anyway most). smile

Mh. I suppose we could discuss that again. (?) I dunno.

It's worth discussing, static should be default.

39 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-07 23:53:52)

Btw. How will we solve the problem of different clients? Players will be manually swapping the client executables or will there be an option to choose between vanilla, DDNet, Gamer, etc. clients?

You probably just rename whatever client MOD you want to teeworlds.exe.

I don't see CS giving you options to select another client mod as default; you mod it to do so (I guess).

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Lots of NA/SA players will start joining if this happens. There needs to be more NA/SA servers, and more vanilla servers in general. Ever thought about some sort of official servers?

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Broken wrote:

I always felt Ubu's movie Casualtee was his best trailer. In fact it's the one TW video that inspired me to attempt to play competitively. It's fast paced epic music more expresses the twitch reaction fighting TW encompasses, and it includes more double grenade kills and the famous "Ubu dive shot." Also it's shorter (attention span).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lxU40mBj9k

EDIT: Sorry guys, I just saw others above agree with me.

You should already see "Casualtee" as the first video. Don't you?

Fifi wrote:

Btw. How will we solve the problem of different clients? Players will be manually swapping the client executables or will there be an option to choose between vanilla, DDNet, Gamer, etc. clients?

Players can still change their executables but I'm pretty sure we cannot support modified clients, especially because the player should not think these clients are as reliable as the vanilla and we don't want to be responsible for them.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I absolutely love the fact that you guys finally published tw on greenlight. <3
I just wonder if Valve is interested in a game that wont give them any money.

No problem

Sent some ad in 11k group wink

What YemDX said, there seriously needs to be more vanilla focus in NA/SA countries. In North America, we have a game of CTF about once every two weeks, and it is generally very boring. Of course, some things can't be solved, as Teeworlds is not our internet provider, and thus can't stop East NA players from having 100 ping on NA servers.

There is one thing, most NA players are too arrogant and lackluster to put in the effort to get an organized group of anything together. Hint hint, MOST. There are some that enjoy playing ctf, though. Most NA players immediately go to fng, because they don't want to deal with being worse than most players for a while.

Anyhow, I'm going to let the rest of this take it's course.

no

Status update: We've reached rank #100 of all games in Greenlight in just 3 days. Thanks for your support so far!

Fifi wrote:

Players that want to use other clients will download the clients from their home pages like usually. No changes there. Steam is nothing but an advertisement for the game.

Broken wrote:

I always felt Ubu's movie Casualtee was his best trailer. In fact it's the one TW video that inspired me to attempt to play competitively.

Well I guess that since the devs are trying to show the game to a new audience we do not need a video showing tees doing sick tricks or anything. First we need them to try the game and that's the reason why I agree with some people on this topic: We need a trailer that shows what you can do with Teeworlds, not how good a few players are.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

49 (edited by DerHase 2015-06-08 23:37:13)

heinrich5991 wrote:

Status update: We've reached rank #100 of all games in Greenlight in just 3 days. Thanks for your support so far!

awesome, I'm sure it will get greenlit if it reaches the top 50 smile

/edit: maybe you should add teeworlds.com to the link section on greenlight

Casualtee nearly only features grenade gameplay, I don't think it's appropriate as a video to show to newcomers.

Not Luck, Just Magic.