Re: The Great Vanilla Revival Initiative: Discussion

i have not found a single player that didnt start with a ctf5 game...

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Imo you are wrong when saying:

Mo2 wrote:

Every player that find and downloads teeworlds first time in his live starts with a teeworlds client that hides all mods by default.

Players will download teeworlds because of friends or media (e.g. youtube). And if the majority is playing mods, then he will most likely start playing this mod he has seen before.

Still soon or later they play official gametypes

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Broken wrote:

i have not found a single player that didnt start with a ctf5 game...

Well here you go; I have been a racer from the beginning till now. My first server was a Race server, thanks to my friends. Only after that I have found out more about Vanilla, and all the other modifications. And even then my first match was on CTF4.

Move along, nothing to see here, really.

79 (edited by Broken 2014-09-15 06:05:07)

point was not that no one ever did nigga pls

Broken wrote:

wow binx so some pro invited you, that made you interested in becoming pro. way to prove your point!

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Yeah sure 'cuzz it's changing a server is has difficult has changing jobs or school.

Mostly saying it's not the behaviour of some guys who made everything. If you stop playing a mod (or even a game) each time someone insults you, is arrogant or whatever, I'm not sure you can play on the internet at all. Or just with some irl friends maybe...

@Broken and Slayer, I think you both have a point. When you download the basic client, only vanilla mods are shown, so of course a lot of players try them. But it's true that lots of people will come because of friends talking about the games, and will come in their mods, obviously. Plus, if you're a racer for example, you may have a race client, so you might tell your friend to download it. I'm guessing default settings of this client is showing races.

Anyway this doesn't really matter. What I wanted to say is, it's not the mods fault, it's not the other games fault, and it's not only the behaviour of some people. I've been insulted in every mod I believe... In the end you still choose the one you like the most.

heinrich5991 wrote:

Coop in the game sense usually means "multiple players without player controlled-enemies".

Thanks, I indeed misunderstood this.

Where did the irony go? i only saw a poorly attempt to be sarcastisc!
The quest is to make vanilla grow, not getting players to become "pro".
You also used school, jobs etc as examples. i skipped it as soon as i realized it did not make any sense.
I skipped everything after that too, so i dont even know what too reply. Am just gonna assume you dont know what you're talking about.
you are wrong, i am right!

Shit, every time I see your nickname I know I'm gonna have a good time.

- Günther Branlutte

83 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2014-09-17 00:36:20)

If you are not willing to help vanilla to grow, why are you even here, HeroiAmarelo?
Please stop your endless discussions and hate-speech on vanilla, thanks.

Oh and because I just read an earlier post by you:

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

"The Great Vanilla Revival" was, like it was obvious, a tournament and nothing more than a tournament.
Oh yeah. It was a tournament were players that ALREADY liked Vanilla participated. What was the main goal after all? Make other players start playing vanilla as well? Oh. Are you F* kidding me? Do you, MODs, actually think that something like that would ever happen?

The Vanilla Revival Initiative was not a developer project. Neither the tournament(s) were. And the goal is to make vanilla more attractive, while you are obviously trying to fight it.
--------

Btw do I still feel that nothing changed so far. You still can't just jump into an 3vs3 match on ctf3, you have to wait 45min to get (with some luck) into an cap game. And this is one of the worst problems imo.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

If you are not willing to help vanilla to grow, why are you even here, HeroiAmarelo?

Maybe because the initiative is addressing him directly as one of that mod-players?

There is a wish: "I want you for vanilla" and a nice thread for an initiative. Everybody that likes a game would get others to play with. Let's read further. How would you get more players?

Plan A: Go to the mod-players and convert them. Seems this did not work for years. Why should it work now?

Plan B: Get old players back. They already know teeworlds. Is there something new to get them back? No? Why should they come back then? There are hundrets of other games that make fun as well and some of them try to keep their playerbase. For example with adding modZ. They fight for the game and not for 3 gamemodes (DM, TDM, CTF).

Plan C: ??? ... No? Well I wish you good look. But I bet in it's current version the vanilla initiative would fail. It's already hard to get a good friend that is currently infected by game A to play with you the new outstanding and free to play game B - even if you try to make it tasty for him various times in TS or wherever.

Mo2 wrote:

Plan A: Go to the mod-players and convert them. Seems this did not work for years. Why should it work now?

No, it did work. And it's working. The thread is just here to encourage players to try it again. You can't presume of people's history with TW from your own.

Slayer is right to tell HeroiAmarelo2014 to stop bringing nothing positive to this discussion. Clearly, as he said more times than I care to count, he is not the target audience and is not bringing anything new here. Basically he's just trolling. We're all fine with him considering Block or whatever mod being superior to vanilla. He's entitled to have his personal tastes, just as we're entitled to have our own and have a discussion without constant nay-saying from someone who explicitely says he's not interested.

As for me, I find that the call has been very effective so far. In one year, we have been able to have so many more large scale vanilla games, and the vanilla activity exploded, compared to the year previous to posting the original initiative thread. I have met many players that are now regulars in vanilla who specically told me they were motivated to come because this thread made them reconsider.

There's no "one size fits all". There are also many players who are happy to play several gametypes and mods. There is no will or wish to "convert" people, this isn't a religion. This is just meant to tell people about how fun vanilla can be, and if some people (like HeroiAmarelo2014) don't like it, then they can just move on, end of story.

The Vanilla Initiative Tournaments organized mostly by Slayer were another factor getting people to have a look at vanilla and I appreciated them, even if they didn't go as smoothly as one could have hoped, we can hope they will keep going and that experience will help a better organization. In any case, last year has seen many more vanilla clan wars and captain games than the year before. And much more "new blood" coming from ctf5 or instagib than previous years.

Mo2 wrote:

Plan B: Get old players back. They already know teeworlds. Is there something new to get them back? No? Why should they come back then? There are hundrets of other games that make fun as well and some of them try to keep their playerbase. For example with adding modZ. They fight for the game and not for 3 gamemodes (DM, TDM, CTF).

Again, there's no point in generalizing. Many old players came back (including some I wish hadn't tongue) because they left in the first place because of the general low levels of activity & lack of new blood. Things having changed for the better, many of them are back. Again, there's no point talking about those who are not interested. The fact is, many came back, new clans were created.

Mo2 wrote:

Plan C: ??? ... No? Well I wish you good look. But I bet in it's current version the vanilla initiative would fail. It's already hard to get a good friend that is currently infected by game A to play with you the new outstanding and free to play game B - even if you try to make it tasty for him various times in TS or wherever.

Depends on what you call success or failure. Many people found the initiative was a failure, but I don't really know what their expectations were. Vanilla was really in a sad state when I wrote that post, and it's much better now. I hope it keeps on getting better, but since I've been asked so many times, yes I feel the situation has drastically improved.

Finally, a point that has largely, but not entirely failed, is getting the ctf5 community to become self-conscious as a community (rather than random players) and organize itself, or spawning a separate mid-level community. Currently the vanilla community is still largely split between "disorganized" (ctf4 for noobs, ctf5 for midlevel) and "organized" (clans & cws, captain games) ranging from midlevel to high-level.

Magnet wrote:

Finally, a point that has largely, but not entirely failed, is getting the ctf5 community to become self-conscious as a community (rather than random players) and organize itself, or spawning a separate mid-level community. Currently the vanilla community is still largely split between "disorganized" (ctf4 for noobs, ctf5 for midlevel) and "organized" (clans & cws, captain games) ranging from midlevel to high-level.

If I would run teeworlds now and search for an "organized" match. Then I would only find 5 full ctf5 servers. In later hours I could even find a full 16 slots server with 8 high level players playing a cap game match. There is imo no chance to get this way an "organized mid level community", when I can't play other matches as ctf5 pub.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

If I would run teeworlds now and search for an "organized" match. Then I would only find 5 full ctf5 servers. In later hours I could even find a full 16 slots server with 8 high level players playing a cap game match. There is imo no chance to get this way an "organized mid level community", when I can't play other matches as ctf5 pub.

As I've been saying all along, this is not up to the current "organized" ctf community. I'm precisely saying the regulars of that ctf5 community, once it would become organized (by talking among themselves or wanting to change their situation), would have to start their own servers and make it happen. Most probably most don't want it, and it's fine. Maybe others do, and they just need to know they won't be alone in this. You could also try to make it happen, if you find the current situation inadapted to your gaming hours or level. Some ctf5 players don't want, others do want. Some switched over already (notably binx who posted before, but many more ; it's how the whole EVIL clan started to organize itself actually, years ago).

About finding games: most of the time these days (and it was clearly not the case the year before the vanilla initiative post), I can find an organized game within 10 mins after I join (mostly in the late afternoon / evening), and I've tried once or twice with fake names to see if it worked too. It's a bit harder, but if people know you can move and understand ctf, you can play. Usually dm1 is a good place to show your skill level, and if your opponents are in the capgame and you did good enough, they will usually call you.

Also, there are usually several active servers for organized games at the same time these days, I'm pretty sure you can camp any gV dm1 server to find an opponent and little-by-little get enough players to grow to 2x2; 3x3, etc. That's how the daily games get "bootstrapped" everyday.

88 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2014-09-18 23:56:10)

Not gonna argue about the criticisms you made about me much, just a few points.
Lately I've been playing a lot more of racing DDRace maps or Zcatch a lot more than on blmaps. The point is, mods are more popular than vanilla.
But hey! Who knows that can change some day.

Sorry for the offtopic but what about making the weapons work a bit differente?
Like making the laser be more powerful, making the gun a bit less of the weapon you use 'till you get another one only, by giving it an autofire?
Who knows? Playing Vanilla gametypes might turn a bit more interesting and less of the current "Lets find a grenade launcher and spray on!"

Just wanna ask you for some stats about this phrase

Magnet wrote:

r. In one year, we have been able to have so many more large scale vanilla games

Not saying its not true, I just would like you to show us, is possible, with numbers, how big the difference was.

Edit: Why HeroiAmarelo2014?

- Günther Branlutte

mission accomplished *close thread*

Nice to hear all that positive feedback Magnet, I didn't realize this thread had this big of an impact.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Not gonna argue about the criticisms you made about me much, just a few points.
Lately I've been playing a lot more of racing DDRace maps or Zcatch a lot more than on blmaps. The point is, mods are more popular than vanilla.

And the Sims are a lot more popular than your mods, yet noone tries to constantly shove that fact on you.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Not saying its not true, I just would like you to show us, is possible, with numbers, how big the difference was.

Gnah. Last year: 365 cap games on ctf2 (only each second day, 2 games). This year: 1086 cap games on ctf2 (everyday, 3 games, minus 3 days where the tournaments were ofc!). Are the figures ok for you? [/sarcasm]

@HeroiAmarOfftopic: Laser is imba and too powerful, but nvm.

@Magnet: Even if the situation got better for the little highlevel scene. I am still worried about the mid level scene. Sure it depends on its own will to organize itself, but it seems to be missing hmm It seems like they don't want to hook up with some buddies to play with..

Slayer *gV* wrote:

@Magnet: Even if the situation got better for the little highlevel scene. I am still worried about the mid level scene. Sure it depends on its own will to organize itself, but it seems to be missing hmm It seems like they don't want to hook up with some buddies to play with..

To be honest, I wouldn't want the organized midlevel scene to replace the current disorganized scene. I really miss public games from olden times (where the then "high-level" community still played public ctf2 games on the legendary fp8, Ckz or Qi servers...) and even though they were meant as something extra, captain games completely destroyed serious public games.  It would be nice if the two "lifestyles" could coexist, because it's very practical to be able to join a ctf5 server and play immediately when we feel like it.

Also, I know for a fact there are a bunch of ctf5 regulars (mostly over at aze's server and previously on xyz) who would like to play more organized games, but maybe on ctf5 for starters. They're just not interested in making it happen themselves but I'm pretty sure you would just have to talk them about it smile.

We should define "organized" first tongue
I was talking about clans n stuff. It doesn't mean they will only play cap games all the time..
But yeah, organizing teams/clans can be very time consuming, probably that's why most mid level player think it isn't worth.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

We should define "organized" first tongue
I was talking about clans n stuff. It doesn't mean they will only play cap games all the time..
But yeah, organizing teams/clans can be very time consuming, probably that's why most mid level player think it isn't worth.

IMO it's a very little overhead compared to the quality of the games that ensue. Actually there are a bunch of ctf5 "funclans". They just don't have servers, and they most probably don't know where to start. What is their option? Going against established clans is a no go in the long run (because they don't have fun competing against more experienced clans), so there would have to be a few (3-4) clans switching over to bootstrap that community. It's a chicken and egg problem, mostly, because I think there are enough players over at public ctf5 who'd like it.

And then there are those few who had a stunt in the organized ctf scene who didn't like it and are back in public ctf5 with the hope that other midlevel players don't change their habits smile

95 (edited by baus 2014-09-20 18:13:08)

This whole discussion is not just pointless but also extremly far from reality.

The best and probably only way to help vanilla would be helping TW itself.

It's just like with the communism: Why bother discussing distribution if there is not enough to distribute?

TW needs more players. You should start discussing how to achieve that.

baus wrote:

As we are discussing how we could keep them playing teeworlds, this discussion ain't useless.
But feel free to explain us new ways to bring teeworlds to new players (please not "Steam" etc).

Slayer *gV* wrote:
baus wrote:

As we are discussing how we could keep them playing teeworlds, this discussion ain't useless.
But feel free to explain us new ways to bring teeworlds to new players (please not "Steam" etc).

I was about to answer to your post in detail. However, I don't really see the point. Your comment is just...well. I already stated it when I commented on the topic "A Dream" (which btw. is about steam and tw): At the bottom line I simply do not care what happens to TW. I played it actively for about a year but quit on it 2-3 years ago. Since then I only play it on rare occasions. I solely posted here because I believe that it will be a shame if TW ultimately declines completely. Therefore I won't be the one to invest his time to discuss any detailed ideas. I only suggest that the people who invest their time anyway (like you) set new priorities for this forum (How to get more people to play TW?).

If you don't recognize the (urgent) need of discussing ways to make possible new players interested in TW then that's a shame for TW but fine with me.

If the only answer to

baus wrote:

you can think of is

Slayer *gV* wrote:

But feel free to explain us new ways to bring teeworlds to new players

then it's probably pointless to go into discussion with you anway.

The Problem lsnt about The Vanilla players its about teeworlds Players. We Need much More teeworlds Fans! Maybe a 0.7 coudl help wink

#yemDX is a known troll!
but onbgy is the biggest troll
and deen always trolls, he just makes it so perfect that u think hes not

stivikivi wrote:

sup chaps?
have been playin some of the old van- to the -illa.
lots of fun was had. felt necrophiliac.

+1

Still impressive to see,who's brwosing the forums from time to time.

1338 - One step ahead of the average Nerd.

I haven't read all the comments, but I'd like to show you some stats I gathered through Google trends.

http://i.imgur.com/LHJ7MBv.jpg

In case you are not familiar with Google trends...

Google trends wrote:

Numbers represent search interest relative to the highest point on the chart. If at most 10% of searches for the given region and time frame were for "pizza," we'd consider this 100. This doesn't convey absolute search volume.

Given this, I think we should shift our focus from reviving Vanilla to reviving Teeworlds, because it is not just Vanilla that is dying, it's the whole Teeworlds.

Meuhmeuhmeuh xD