Re: The Great Vanilla Revival Initiative: Discussion

MMilos wrote:

@Cartman
When it comes to part where you talked about custom maps. I have no idea what are you talking about smile I never ever saw you ask us (or my clan) about playing CW or something else on custom map. We (my clan) never refuse that, we are glad to test maps if there is good one, give our opinions and even play CW's or CG's on those maps. And about fly mode, i wont play it and im sure my teammates share same thoughts. Why? Because CW besides vanilla is senseless in my eyes and i dont find fly funny at all. (yea i never played fly i probably suck there wink)
~MM

Yeah unfortunately ranked won't happen. :<

Dunno why spikes make a map not vanilla by the way(Flymod is just for the good looks of scoreboard \o/) but I discussed it with devil already and I don't want to again. So I will just accept it that it is not vanilla for you.

Well, back then it was POLICE and I think AMN and Pongo don't even play Teeworlds anymore. I wanted to exclude Magnet cause he would have played probably(just if it seemed like I didn't). While it is true that I asked for fly it is also true that I asked for some custom map but AMN said something like: I make a map fast and we play on that ok?

Just to make it sure. I don't blame anyone from AEON.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

Cart wrote:
Dune wrote:

It also doesn't have the means to implement an active bot reporting system, does not want to force players to use account to play, and cannot get a decent ranked ladder system up either. That's the way it is.

Well, if devs don't want to implement something like that(I don't demand it although I don't really know why it is a problem) I can undertand why people switch to DDraceNetwork(working even without accounts!) or Teerace or another game.

Ladder requires account, requires big player base, etc. It's not that the devs don't want, it's just that we reasonably can't do that.

The anti-bot fight has been talked about for pages and pages, definitely won't happen, and not because devs are lazy incompetent guys.

Sure the development is slow but you can't expect real changes like in other games - just features around the game.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

sup chaps?
have been playin some of the old van- to the -illa.
lots of fun was had. felt necrophiliac.

54 (edited by Racoon 2014-07-22 18:08:51)

Yo,
Sorry for pushing this "old" thread but I want to write a little experience report.

After the Great Vanilla Revival Post I wanted to help Vanilla and applied on rinju. So, I learned very much about the Vanilla scene.
Now here are my statements

lead-in
Because I was apply of rinju it wasn't very hard to get a good lead-in. Within ~2 week I learned the most important things about vanilla and the players of vanilla. But I am very sure that it would be very hard if I weren't a apply of rinju. the biggest problem would be, because the players are very critical with new players and are very conservative. so it's not so easy to find any real funwar apart from a dm 1on1 oder ctf5 public war, if you aren't an apply

Community
the community in rinju was very nice. But in my opinion the community in the whole vanilla scene was a little bit splitted. there are many nice players who are gentle and who want to learn you some new skills ( Jambi, Yellow, bombi ) but many other players who are insulting you ( don't wanna give any names ). It's also a large characteristic of vanilla-players to be very ... snooty. ( Maybe that's why there are always less new players for vanilla? ) I don't know why, but nearly every player thinks he is on a higher level, because he is one of the "fantastic vanilla mod" and "doesn't play noobmods like instagib!". to all vanillaplayers who still think this: you are not a better tee only because you play vanilla. tongue

Clans
It's very sad that in the vanilla scene there are only 4-6 active clans which are in a position to play clanwars. ( although it was a luxury for me as a insta-player ( there is everything inactive ) but in my opinion 4-6 clans are still too less ). But in all, the most clans are pretty serious and that's very important for me.

=> conclusion
vanilla is the most varied and most extensive gametype of teeworlds with the oldest players. In my opinion it needs  a change that vanilla doesn't go down. ( maybe more clans, a less conservative thinking of the players or any new minor details to let the community make closer )
I hope that the devs will add features for vanilla in the 0.7 version, that would also be very advantageous.
But in my opinion the best reason to give vanilla an upswing would be that: There are too much other mods which are played of players who could be really talented for playing vanilla. and also too much servers. So the best method would be, that the Develops and Teeoworlds Admins must give their "Ok" for every new mod which should be published of private modders and the server volume can be limited by the developers/admins.
So there wouldn't be so much unnecessary empty servers, mods and maps. smile

best wishes,
rcn

Racoon wrote:

vanilla is the most varied and most extensive gametype of teeworlds

Lolwat

Racoon wrote:

hope that the devs will add features for vanilla in the 0.7 version, that would also be very advantageous.

Yeah. New official gametypes are already add.

Racoon wrote:

But in my opinion the best reason to give vanilla an upswing would be that: There are too much other mods

Wanna know why? Because people PREFER to play MODs to Vanilla.
Good luck on changing that.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

56 (edited by Racoon 2014-07-23 00:43:33)

HeroiAmarelo wrote:
Racoon wrote:

vanilla is the most varied and most extensive gametype of teeworlds

Lolwat

pls use google translate...

HeroiAmarelo wrote:
Racoon wrote:

But in my opinion the best reason to give vanilla an upswing would be that: There are too much other mods

Wanna know why? Because people PREFER to play MODs to Vanilla.
Good luck on changing that.

yeah, but do you think it's the sense of a game called "2D-SHOOTER" that there are ~7-10 block servers with the blmaps each including about 16 players, who would all be able to play mods which are go down gradually? ( like vanilla, race, ... ) I don't think that it's the sense of teeworlds. You're right, that people maybe prefer other mods than vanilla. But I just think too much mods and servers ruin the real sense of the game.

Call Teeworlds whatever you want. In fact, new players are almost forced to play Vanilla before any Modification because of the game filters default definition.

It's in fact a 2D-shooter officially, but for me it's a lot more a puzzle since I prefer DDRace. So what? What's the problem? Does it annoys you? Well, just create a gametype that would interest me more, to me and the racers and blockers. 

About the BLMAPS, some of them have ~40/50 players at the same time, not only 16.
It's the power off being a jerk! And a troll! It's so funny!

Normal DDRaces maps are awesome for playing with friends. I personally love to play a good old Multimap with a friend on Skype, much more than playing CTF in the same circumstances. Much because DDRace is Co-Op. And lets face it! Co-ops are awesome.

Btw

"who would all be able to play mods which are go down gradually? ( like vanilla, race, ... )"

So... Race is ok but DDRace and the BLMAPs aren't because...
... You don't like them...? Therefore... Ninja Turtles?

- Günther Branlutte

58 (edited by Racoon 2014-07-23 14:19:03)

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

So what? What's the problem? Does it annoys you? Well, just create a gametype that would interest me more, to me and the racers and blockers.

dude, be not condescending. if you can't be serious go out of this thread please. it's not my job to satisfy you, so create your mod on your own or be quiet. I only want to help teeworlds with my personal opinion which i made through my experience. the real sense of teeworlds may not expire and so I think it's never wrong to help with new ideas. maybe the develops agree with it, dunno.
and we need not to delude ourselves: teeworlds made a big evolution since 0.5.1 ( that's the version I began to play ). for some players a positive evolution, but I think for more players a negative evolution.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Normal DDRaces maps are awesome for playing with friends. I personally love to play a good old Multimap with a friend on Skype, much more than playing CTF in the same circumstances. Much because DDRace is Co-Op. And lets face it! Co-ops are awesome.

Yes, I agree you. I love real DDRace-Maps and Mods, but that wasn't my concern. My concern wasn't that DDRace ruins the sense of Teeworlds. My concern was that the blmaps, where you only run around a little bit and hook others in the freeze without any sense and finish, are the badest thing which ever happened to teeworlds. That is just not the gameplay what I connect with a 2D-Shooter. Yes, you said that I can call it what I want but in my eyes it's a 2D shooter. And in a 2D-Shooter I don't want to see the most servers where I come in, where I get insulted of any kids and who block me without any reason. big_smile That's definetly not the gameplay which I connect with a game called "Teeworlds - Jumping the Gun!". My concern was that the 3642345825 servers ( without guarantee tongue ) which are empty make it more difficult to find real good servers for beginners. that destroys the whole community. it would be enough if there is a tenth of the current server volume. My concern was that the blockmaps which are on every third server are a step in the completely wrong way. the same with city for example.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

So... Race is ok but DDRace and the BLMAPs aren't because...
... You don't like them...? Therefore... Ninja Turtles?

It's not about if I like it or not. It's about if teeworlds will die out anytime through that or not. I will not guarantee it but if that is going on without any changes I think Vanilla will die. Instagib is already extinct. I can say that from my own experience. In Insta there is no serious active clan anymore.

And about the rest:

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Race is ok but DDRace

Racoon wrote:

I love real DDRace-Maps and Mods, but that wasn't my concern

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

BLMAPs aren't because

smile see my text above.

59 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2014-07-23 19:39:41)

You're not even protecting vanilla after all!
You're just hating block maps because you see no point nor fun with it.
Insta. is mod, race is a mod, OpenFNG is a mod, ddrace is a mod(, blmap is... a map?)

You have NO REASON to say that normal race maps are ok but block maps aren't but your personal hate.

You find stupid to Teeworlds to be called a 2DShooter game if most players block instead of shoot but you find it ok to Teeworlds to be called a 2DShooter but players use it as a platforming puzzle game instead of a shooting game.

About the empty servers.
Well, what's your idea? You actually can't spam the server browser with 100 different servers. Mods block people who try to spam the server browser.

The only way to solve the empty servers problem is to actually have more players.
What if I want to have 5 different servers, eatch of them with different maps that cant be changed? I had a server that had only HDP_Obstaculos 24/7.

And about the clan issue. True there aren't that many virgin players that have clans and play daily. There are however, huge block clans. How wait! Block sucks because the main objective is to be a jerk instead of racing or killing tees with guns. Darn!

Just one extra thought.
"The Great Vanilla Revival" was, like it was obvious, a tournament and nothing more than a tournament.
Oh yeah. It was a tournament were players that ALREADY liked Vanilla participated. What was the main goal after all? Make other players start playing vanilla as well? Oh. Are you F* kidding me? Do you, MODs, actually think that something like that would ever happen? Stop dreaming and accept that you, devs, created a cool engine and a cool platforming game. About the gametypes, sorry, but the community had made a better job than you guys. They challenged the mainstream gametypes like CTF or DM and actually created different gamestyles that are actually fresh and different (thought Teeworlds is already fresh and different).
Now, go ahead Dune, and create another "thump topic" with my thoughts just because you disagree and dislike my opinion.
Sometimes I think I'm the only block supporter on this forum, witch is odd since block is as popular (or even more popular) than Vanilla.

- Günther Branlutte

big_smile

I never wrote that I hate block maps. So, pls don't impute me things I never said.
I have a reason that blockmaps are counterproductive for the whole teeworlds scene and racemaps ( why the hell racemaps now? mh, idc ) are. please read my text which i wrote.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

About the empty servers. Well, what's your idea?

please.read.my.texts. I can't discuss with you seriously if you don't read my texts.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

The only way to solve the empty servers problem is to actually have more players.

Definitely not! More Players = More Servers, Less Players = Less Servers. What we want is More Players but Less Servers. So we need measures from the outside to regulate the server volume.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Block sucks because the main objective is to be a jerk instead of racing or killing tees with  guns.

I never said that. big_smile
Sure, it can make fun. But it destroys the sense of real teeworlds imo. And the real teeworlds game is just vanilla and not any blocking mod which can play everybody. I wrote all I wanted to say and don't want to write it again now.

to your last part of you post I don't want to comment. But one question HeroiAmarelo: If in 2 years, there are 5 ctf servers, 2 race servers, 5 ddrace servers with ddrace maps, 2 instagib servers, 2 openfng servers and hmmmm 300 ddrace servers with blmaps and other blockmaps without any sensefull gameplay. do you think then "Yeah! that is the teeworlds I like! the community formed it!! cool!" or will you say "Hm... now there is no more clanwar, no more Team Death Matches, now more Ctf... that's a really pitty. I think teeworlds did go really down. I should stop it maybe.. I am too old for that now." What will you say? ... And that's the point because I think it's so important to save Vanilla and the "real gametypes" now and not after a few years when the vanilla etc are a "unsafeable".

Racoon wrote:

Sure, it can make fun. But it destroys the sense of real teeworlds imo. And the real teeworlds game is just vanilla

VANILLA = CTF, DM, TDM.
No normal DDRace, Instagib or any other gametype included

Racoon wrote:

to your last part of you post I don't want to comment. But one question HeroiAmarelo: If in 2 years, there are 5 ctf servers, 2 race servers, 5 ddrace servers with ddrace maps, 2 instagib servers, 2 openfng servers and hmmmm 300 ddrace servers with blmaps and other blockmaps without any sensefull gameplay.

Alright. Take this

SERVERS RUNNING VANILLA:
http://s1.postimg.org/z0wzcf28v/screenshot_2014_07_23_18_44_40.png

260 Servers. 80 players

SERVERS RUNNING WITH BLMAPS:
http://s1.postimg.org/wibabqgin/screenshot_2014_07_23_18_45_06.png

75 Servers. 180 Players

SERVERS RUNNING DDRACE (BLMAPS are also included):
http://s1.postimg.org/pueop4x0f/screenshot_2014_07_23_18_45_43.png

350 Servers. 561 players

---

As you can see. There aren't even 100 servers running blmaps, but there are more than 250 ones running Vanilla.

So, it's not the number of servers that matter at all, because even with less than half of the servers, BLMAP has way more players than Vanilla. And there are way more players on DDRace servers WITHOUT BLMaps than with BLMaps.

Too bad the majority of the servers are empty. But oh well. sad

- Günther Branlutte

High skilled players have been actig like parasites, and now they finally killed the host!
Ctf5, The black sheep in vanilla. the map that contains nothing but unskilled noobs, idiots and retards....even homosexuals some say! - Is now more or less what keeps vanilla alive!
What began as clanwars and funwars became so competative that it got unpleasant! The fight is more intense for those who spectates! Instead of applauding achievements, people tend to tear eachother down to maintain their own position in the vanillascene!

How can vanilla rise again? ATM, it cant! High skilled players are just sitting there, waiting for their next victim.

Instead of teaching new players how to become better, they tell them "to get back to ctf5, where all the other noobs are" 

And yet we/you/he complains about vanilla dying! hypocrites!

We know you are good, we know you have been playing TW for while. now teach me to become a comptetator, instead of a victim of your arrogance!

Right now, i wanna advise new players to come and play ctf5. its relaxing, you meet different kind of people. and last but not at least having fun!

Rule 2. 2. Do not discuss moderation publicly

I'm not aware of your case but we are always open for discussion, do not publicly complain about moderation in threads.
// Dune

Ok, lets ignore the obvious problem then.
Continue discussing servers, coding, unicorns and rainbows. Its not gonna help tho!
The problem Cant be fixed. Just gotta hope it changes over time!

Me and some other vanilla players created a Clan ingame with one goal; too get new players interested!
New players like the idea of playing in a team! They wanna feel that affinity!
We need some sort of a recruit-system where they learn the basic! We have started such a team, but have not been able to make a homepage or anything! its all in-game ATM!

Well, i've said what i wanted to say! feel free too discuss whatever you discussed again!

Shit wrote:

Ok, lets ignore the obvious problem then.
Continue discussing servers, coding, unicorns and rainbows.

:DDDDDDDD
still rus made the best post so far

RUSterrorist wrote:

Time for that is over anyway.
Mods and Bots destroyed it.

Magnet wrote:

Since a lot of players explained their bad experience with Vanilla in the post because of the arrogance of many high-level players. And because many didnt read the full proposal and misunderstood it, I have edited the original post to:

• Address the problem of arrogance more clearly

• Explain earlier the outline of the proposal

Want my address?

Sadly I can't see any changes being made.
You still have to wait over 30 minutes for a match on ctf2 or ctf3, if you can take part at all.

Stop crying.
Vanilla will never die.

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Lets define that!

Crying:
1. To sob or shed tears because of grief, sorrow, or pain; weep.
2. To call loudly; shout.
3. To utter a characteristic sound or call. Used of an animal.
4. To demand or require immediate action or remedy

Have not shed any tears so far, but your post wich contained denial and the least constructive feedback soo far was actually a little painful to read!

Not possible to call ot loudly here!

Definitly not possible to utter any kind of animalsounds.

Require immediate action....hmm, i guess you were right. we are crying. thats the point of the thread!

But you are right, vanilla is not dead. its in a vegetative state. And ctf5 is the plug!

For me when I played vanilla, the biggest issue I had was the gun and the hammer. I spamclicked so much with my index finger, it was just too stressfull. You already click a lot with right mouse for movement, I don't feel like you should have to spam gun or hammer just to shoot. It should really be automaticly, so you can just hold down your mouse to keep hammering or to empty your gun. It would make it a lot smoother and enjoyable to play vanilla.

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

(Be cautious, some irony was used in this post.)

The vanilla scene is dying because pro players are arrogant? I'm not buying that. True, there are arrogant pro players. But that's not the only kind of bad guys out there.

Let me say one thing : there are bad guys everywhere. Arrogant pros, insulting noobs, funvoters, bot callers and so on. They have all kinds of level. Though, people will only stop playing with pros. Why is that? Because when you meet a noob mean guy, you still can kill him easily.

You just can't make general rules that easily. You saw two arrogant pros in a row, so 100% of the pro players are arrogant ?... Yeah, you must be wondering why you got everything wrong at your last math test.

(I guess if three people said i'm a bot, then I must be a bot. Big news I guess, I thought I was human.)

In the end, you can't continue to live everyday by just fleeing. You got to school? I'm sure you met bad guys there. You have or will get a job in the future. You'll meet dickheads there too. So what? Did you change school each time something got wrong? Will you change jobs every month?

In the end, if you want to play high level, you can. That is, if you really want, as in every mods. I probably will never become a DDR pro, because I won't try too hard. Finishing a map is enough for me, no need to make it faster than everyone: I'm not at this level and don't want to.

I was ctf5 random guy, one day someone proposed me to join. He was not the first one, but that day, I decided to be curious. I lost 10-0, 10-1 or something like that. He was not one of the most skilled pro. I knew I was not that strong but it was good to see how far I was... So I decided to get better, and I did. Of course I met some useless guys on the way, and I still didn't stop because of them, as simple as that.

I still play ctf5, and I dare to say nobody is saying I'm arrogant. I'm trying my best to balance and help the players. When the game gets interesting, I call for help, I give advice, I say what position I'm in.

Would everyone be more curious and open-minded, and less lazy, mods (vanilla included) wouldn't just die. Sometimes you want a race, sometimes you want a ctf, sometimes you just don't want to play. There is no need to put the mods in competition.

And I saw someone saying "ddr is great because it's co-op". Well, I thought ctf was, too. Weird, I guess I didn't understand my own game then.

binx wrote:

And I saw someone saying "ddr is great because it's co-op". Well, I thought ctf was, too. Weird, I guess I didn't understand my own game then.

Coop in the game sense usually means "multiple players without player controlled-enemies".

72 (edited by Broken 2014-09-12 19:17:56)

wow binx so some pro invited you, that made you interested in becoming pro. way to prove your point!

binx wrote:

You got to school? I'm sure you met bad guys there. You have or will get a job in the future. You'll meet dickheads there too. So what? Did you change school each time something got wrong? Will you change jobs every month?

Yeah sure 'cuzz it's changing a server is has difficult has changing jobs or school.

"(Be cautious, some irony was used in this post.)"
Are you trying to make a valid point of a funny one? Cuzz it's hard to do both without confusing people

- Günther Branlutte

74 (edited by Mo2 2014-09-14 13:51:02)

Is this really a 2014 thread? How long is that thematic already going on? Every player that find and downloads teeworlds first time in his live starts with a teeworlds client that hides all mods by default. Is there anybody out there that playes a TW-mod and never ever played vanilla? You could post as many scary screenshots from server-lists as you want but pretty almost everybody that is playing some mod now already played vanilla in the past. It's not the fault of the mods! Everybody that is playing mods could switch the server and join some vanilla. Vanilla gameplay is fun for a while but it's a very repetitive gameplay. After playing hundrets of hours CTF5 again and again and again you might search for something different ... and it's not CTF2. Even other games have repetive gameplay but they keep motiviation by causing users with some target to reach something to level up some tiers in whatever. Playing DDrace is a complete different beast that catched me for years. It's one of the rare games out where you are pleased regarding other players - so even if it's often the same (like pulling and pushing others through freeze) it actually lives from a social aspect which isn't there in vanilla gameplay. Compare that with other games like WoT where everybody is calling the other teammate an idiot hundret times. Why are still hundret-thousands are playing such a frustrating game again and again? Because there is some target to reach (and maybe some rumors regarding a game-maker that is making everybody somewhat average with a winrate that's for all just a bit below or above 50%). If you like more vanilla players then remove mods from the enemy list and put it to your friendslist and think how you could make vanilla better and keep players in that game so they come back from itself. Just a serious whishlist is too weak.

Imo you are wrong when saying:

Mo2 wrote:

Every player that find and downloads teeworlds first time in his live starts with a teeworlds client that hides all mods by default.

Players will download teeworlds because of friends or media (e.g. youtube). And if the majority is playing mods, then he will most likely start playing this mod he has seen before.