Re: The Great Vanilla Revival Initiative: Discussion

@slayer not sure who is active but i would guess around 60?

@magnet (y)

Since a lot of players explained their bad experience with Vanilla in the post because of the arrogance of many high-level players. And because many didnt read the full proposal and misunderstood it, I have edited the original post to:

• Address the problem of arrogance more clearly

• Explain earlier the outline of the proposal

Great posts, learning to play vanilla is certainly hard but also brings great fun, so for everyone looking for a challenge to their skill: try to be good at standard gametype.

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

29 (edited by Fisico 2013-11-27 19:48:04)

i think the best way to get new players to vanilla is to seperat vanilla from mods.

Make two tabs in the server browser.. one for standard game and one for modded servers...

https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/issues/1035

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Domination Mod "Developer"
« Uptee Designer

just droppin this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R6WHYHqsoc

and leaving for good again

31 (edited by RUSterrorist 2013-12-02 02:38:52)

Time for that is over anyway.
Mods and Bots destroyed it.

Magnet wrote:

Since a lot of players explained their bad experience with Vanilla in the post because of the arrogance of many high-level players. And because many didnt read the full proposal and misunderstood it, I have edited the original post to:

• Address the problem of arrogance more clearly

• Explain earlier the outline of the proposal

Want my address?

In the original post, the "XonX" made me laugh. Just so you know, in English most would call that a Free For All or a FFA.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:

In the original post, the "XonX" made me laugh. Just so you know, in English most would call that a Free For All or a FFA.

Just so you know, I meant something different from FFA. Not only I'm talking about organized games, but also you see here X is a variable that happens to be on both sides...

Broken wrote:

Pros are extremely unfriendly and don't care about lesser skilled players. There is no mid-level scene and pros will act like anyone less skilled is worthless. So the game becomes completely ego driven.

Nah, this is both right and wrong, firstly, I have no experience on meeting cruel cool player, I am not a newbie myself.
But those who just kill deliberately precisely because the game is NOT ego-driven, it is competition-driven(CTF) or DEATHMATCH-driven(DM,TDM).

So, to balance things out, if i win too much, I often try smile away using emo and ask them whether they know they can tune mousesens or tell them exactly why they lose. I don't know how many people do that, but this should fix the arrogance.

35 (edited by Slinack 2014-02-15 17:20:50)

As far as I know, the next version will bring a new filter option to show what's the average level played in that server (set up by the hoster).
But I'm afraid new players will just ignore it anyway.

Playing with someone way below your skill level isn't easy (if you wanna be fair to him). You actually have to purposefully miss shots and forget about all strategies (that they obviously don't know of and/or ignore).
Guess what? That's usually not so fun.

edit: Wasn't there another answer here just 1 minute ago? o.o

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

36 (edited by Ludini 2014-02-15 17:32:10)

Yes I had one here now its gone...maybe magnet removed it?

*EPIC-NOTHING*

37 (edited by yemDX 2014-02-15 18:07:13)

It's been two months, where's my vanilla revival?!

EDIT: Is it just me or is no one reviving vanilla, including the creator of the revival?

Ex-King of Teeworlds

KingofTW wrote:

It's been two months, where's my vanilla revival?!

EDIT: Is it just me or is no one reviving vanilla, including the creator of the revival?

I agree many people are still discouraging new players to play tw by kicking them for '-1 POINTS' (legitimate reason).

*EPIC-NOTHING*

A dead game cant revive by itself, if noone want's to put effort in.
Just take a look at the tournament-thread. It's a shame for the whole community, except few ones who are involved!

Ludini wrote:

I agree many people are still discouraging new players to play tw by kicking them for '-1 POINTS' (legitimate reason).

This isn't the cause of death.

40 (edited by MMilos 2014-02-16 01:29:09)

Yo, this is my first and might be last post here. I just want to clear something to all those players who whine about pros and how arrogant they are.
Yes i consider myself as decent player so i have all rights to share my view of you, lower skilled players.

First of all that story regarding pros and how they ruin TW  is pathetic. If you had bad time with some "pro" players, that doesn't necessary mean that all of "pros" are bad. I put pros word under "" because there is no real pros in teeworlds. For me professional player is the one who earn money while playing game, we know that that's impossible in TW but ok let's keep pro word for high skilled players.

Ludini if i remember correct you started to play vanilla like month ago? Then tried to join clan, and then you got rejected right? Or you gave up, not sure. After that i havent seen you on any vanilla server trying to find game (i consider myself pretty active on vanilla lately) so i dont really understand when you got banned and when. Especially regarding your post which got deleted because you tried to shame Magnet saying how he flamed you, calling you noob or whatever. Even if he said so, it's not wrong right? After all you are noob compared to him, and calling someone noob shouldnt be offensive word, it means you are newbie or newcomer for him which is true, because he plays for long time.
If i remember correct from you last post, you said something like, pros play so good against lowskilled players, they dont give them a chance. (it wasnt exactly written like that, but i think i got main point)
Are you serious about this? So if someone is better than you they shouldn't play for real but rather let you win? Where is fun in that? Why the hell should other ppl play bad on purpose just because you cant improve yourself? please...
If you are smart enough, and if you love vanilla so much those things wont ruin your game experience it should do the oposite and motivate you. Why cant you just go find ppl of your skill level, then play games with them and improve yourself? And once you improve yourself you can come and greet us. Or how about this, why dont YOU go and MAKE a clan yourself, find few friends assemble team and train. So one day, maybe you can win against those "arrogant bastards and self claimed pros"? Trust me it will be better for you and for whole vanilla community that way.

Now topic regarding vanilla revival. It wont happen, at least not with ppl like  Ludini who prefer to blame others for their own failures. TW isnt dead because of pros, it's dead because of ppl laziness. There is no motivation for lower skilled players to improve themself, not because pros ruin the fun but because there is no proper satisfaction, there is no obvious goal in vanilla, unlike race or ddrace where you compete with others and you have ladders. Everyone want to be pro in their small virtual world but usually the one who whine, want to be pros without much effort which is impossible.
Oh i almost forgot, all those ppl who get banned or kicked by pros, and then later cry about that, have BAD behavior or just troll around and show no respect to others.

(I secretly hope that vanilla will finally revive and shine like in old times) smile

Cheers,
~MM

lol i love how pros rage at this idea. sure in a big community no one cares about dicks... in small tw i think it's clear it makes the game less fun for many... firsthand testimony of pros & noobs both. and plus... since in usa, even smaller. and the few pros just raged at mid-level players or other pros, then they never come back and pros whine no comp, and ctf died more than once, with mids no longer interested and pros bitter. sry if "one of them" contradicting this doesn't mean much.. since all old pros want is those elite playing again, not any new players. now usa is mid-levels that have improved together and actually have fun w/ no rage... and strangely that keeps people playing. since so many posts were ridic. deleted here i doubt this one will stay, but why not just call it a reunion instead of revival... jmtc.

Don't see anyone raging about this. MMilos was just stating what he read and has observed. You cannot really talk about a community you aren't a real part of and in everyday. Stating generic things from some the players behavior doesn't pertain to all or the entire community as a whole. Obviously some bad apples can't depict all. Anyway.

Isn't what Magnet calling for, what the USA community is doing? They are playing mid-level games with mid-level players. Although USA is different for ping reasons. Not all are willing to play in German servers, and they shouldn't have to. Do not see what you are trying to make out of talking about the USA scene from this. I am a very active player of both scenes for those that do not know.

I can only think of some "pros" that raged at the mid-level players, i myself was a part of this at one point. Higher level people want to play with tees that know at least some common sense in how team play works. If you keep doing the same simple mistakes over and over again after being told what not to do i can see some raging over this. (It happens in most, if not all, competitive scenes.)  It is an obvious outcome. How the person rages is up to the person themselves, and shouldn't be characterized as the ENTIRE community.

43 (edited by Cart 2014-02-16 15:09:44)

Now that this comes back alive. I posted something 3 months ago in another forum where Magnet posted the revival as well and I got no answer and hoping to get some response now.  You maybe want to check the thread for more context (http://teeworlds-friends.de/Forum/index … la+revival).

Cart wrote:

@Magnet: Yeah I agree and I just wanted to explain why those guys switched to LoL(and I am still cartman:D).

If there was something like a ranked system in Teeworlds not everyone would be pro(LoL pros in highest leagues are like 0.1% of community or even less) and I think more casual Teeworlds players would actually see that there is a higher level that they can and maybe even want to reach.
I actually do not play ranked in LoL(but a big amount of the player base does) but there I can find the diversity that is missing in Vanilla. Even LoL has got 3 well made maps and 1 shitmap which is more than maps played in Vanilla(really sad actually) and guess what. If EUW is not down again you can actually find a match in 20 seconds to 5 minutes with most of the time equaly skilled teams(smurfs make the matchmaking harder to be accurate). How long does it take to find a funwar or even worse start a capgame with 16 players? Have got Zandyz, Milos or someone similar as captain you can just leave as it won't lead to anything anyway. Furthermore capgames have got most of the time imbalanced teams. Wasting 30 minutes to get 2 imbalanced team. Yeah sounds like fun and not wasted time. And here comes ranked system back again. It at least tries to create equally strong teams.

Additionally there needs to be botprotection especially if you want to have something like a ranked system(I know it is possible if you switch more client informations to the server but I do not really know how difficult it would be to change). By the way, skillcap of mechanics(probably won't help you much but still: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0suIFAAClvg) and especially knowledge(there is no way you can deny that:P) in LoL is higher than in Teeworlds and in Dota 2(sorry no video here) even higher.

Coming back to diversity I was playing LoL for 7 months and came back to teeworlds this march. Still nothing new. Played 6 months of teeworlds with 3 being active(and not really playing LoL too often) while getting more and more bored resulting in me going back to LoL where tons of new things waited for me.
I know LoL is way bigger and thus it is easier to create new content but come on. What is new in teeworlds? Well, there are at least new maps I like. Tantum and some other maps that are at least decent but no one is playing on them for a reason I do not really know. It is even worse when we have training and not enough people for 5v5. There is a chance to 4v4 intern? Jambi says 4v4 is shit. There is a chance for 2v2 intern? Jambi says it is shit. Of course he would play 4v4, 2v2 funwar due to our funwar counter but I am pretty much forced to play ctf3 in intern games where we only have one pro deffer most of the times making the result of the game obvious anyway. When the rare exception occured and some ctf2 funwars happened I was already 3/4 inactive, played LoL or had no time due to reallife.

I also tried to play Fly or a custom map versus you(r clan) to get some change but you also rejected it(or at least your mates) because you do not play on custom maps(or whatever AMN wanted to say) and it was really the beginning of me switching to LoL as I was finally convinced that Teeworlds got totally boring again. Flyscene got inactive(or maybe just me big_smile) while not even the other last active Vanilla clan would play some custom- or flymaps with me(I know you would have played at least custom vanillamaps but that does not really help if your clanmates do not want to). Vanilla bored me anyway already as I do not want to see this ctf3 shit anymore. I know Fly is not teeish as you said but it would be at least some change from the normal teeish maps. Whatever.
People only come when there is new content which does not really work the other way round.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

44 (edited by Broken 2014-02-16 15:54:41)

Zgokee wrote:

Don't see anyone raging about this... and shouldn't be characterized as the ENTIRE community.

No one is saying the entire community acted poorly.

Even in this thread I'm being called bitter and pathetic and not part of the community, but I guess that's ok with you. Frankly, at this point I don't care anymore. My only point was anyway, that in my opinion it kept back some players interested in getting better. It certainly isn't worth arguing about here for me.

Let's not compare this game with top tier industrial games with huge budget and 10.000 times larger player bases.

Teeworlds is not a game that should have design/balance changes/weapon adds every few weeks - it's just not as complex.

It also doesn't have the means to implement an active bot reporting system, does not want to force players to use account to play, and cannot get a decent ranked ladder system up either. That's the way it is.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

46 (edited by Cart 2014-02-16 17:25:14)

Dune wrote:

Let's not compare this game with top tier industrial games with huge budget and 10.000 times larger player bases.
Teeworlds is not a game that should have design/balance changes/weapon adds every few weeks - it's just not as complex.

Just wanted to tell the reasons why I and many other vanilla pros play barely or not anymore. Of course it is unfair but does it change the fact that there is no new content by devs? No. It would be nice to have new content by them at least every year but I know that it depends on the activity of the devs and I don't demand anything as they are not paid for it. It is just a simple fact for those devs who want teeworlds to be active.

Anyway, I didn't want to express with the post that I want or need new content from the devs to get me back to Teeworlds but I rather wanted to address the problem that the vanilla community is too stubborn to play new maps. I don't know why as there is pretty good custom content out there.

Dune wrote:

It also doesn't have the means to implement an active bot reporting system, does not want to force players to use account to play, and cannot get a decent ranked ladder system up either. That's the way it is.

Well, if devs don't want to implement something like that(I don't demand it although I don't really know why it is a problem) I can undertand why people switch to DDraceNetwork(working even without accounts!) or Teerace or another game.

Little information: I didn't knew that vanilla exists until I found a pro ctf1 server after 3 years of playing and something like highlighting those servers by putting them at the top of the search list would help already(or a ranked system of course).

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

MMilos wrote:

Yo, this is my first and might be last post here. I just want to clear something to all those players who whine about pros and how arrogant they are.
Yes i consider myself as decent player so i have all rights to share my view of you, lower skilled players.

First of all that story regarding pros and how they ruin TW  is pathetic. If you had bad time with some "pro" players, that doesn't necessary mean that all of "pros" are bad. I put pros word under "" because there is no real pros in teeworlds. For me professional player is the one who earn money while playing game, we know that that's impossible in TW but ok let's keep pro word for high skilled players.

Ludini if i remember correct you started to play vanilla like month ago? Then tried to join clan, and then you got rejected right? Or you gave up, not sure. After that i havent seen you on any vanilla server trying to find game (i consider myself pretty active on vanilla lately) so i dont really understand when you got banned and when. Especially regarding your post which got deleted because you tried to shame Magnet saying how he flamed you, calling you noob or whatever. Even if he said so, it's not wrong right? After all you are noob compared to him, and calling someone noob shouldnt be offensive word, it means you are newbie or newcomer for him which is true, because he plays for long time.
If i remember correct from you last post, you said something like, pros play so good against lowskilled players, they dont give them a chance. (it wasnt exactly written like that, but i think i got main point)
Are you serious about this? So if someone is better than you they shouldn't play for real but rather let you win? Where is fun in that? Why the hell should other ppl play bad on purpose just because you cant improve yourself? please...
If you are smart enough, and if you love vanilla so much those things wont ruin your game experience it should do the oposite and motivate you. Why cant you just go find ppl of your skill level, then play games with them and improve yourself? And once you improve yourself you can come and greet us. Or how about this, why dont YOU go and MAKE a clan yourself, find few friends assemble team and train. So one day, maybe you can win against those "arrogant bastards and self claimed pros"? Trust me it will be better for you and for whole vanilla community that way.

Now topic regarding vanilla revival. It wont happen, at least not with ppl like  Ludini who prefer to blame others for their own failures. TW isnt dead because of pros, it's dead because of ppl laziness. There is no motivation for lower skilled players to improve themself, not because pros ruin the fun but because there is no proper satisfaction, there is no obvious goal in vanilla, unlike race or ddrace where you compete with others and you have ladders. Everyone want to be pro in their small virtual world but usually the one who whine, want to be pros without much effort which is impossible.
Oh i almost forgot, all those ppl who get banned or kicked by pros, and then later cry about that, have BAD behavior or just troll around and show no respect to others.

(I secretly hope that vanilla will finally revive and shine like in old times) smile

Cheers,
~MM

I'm sorry I didn't want to shame or offend anyone I was just posting my pov.

*EPIC-NOTHING*

Yo, time for me to interfere once again

@Broken you maybe didnt say that entire community acted poorly but you said that pros are acting like jerks which is totally not true. I dont see why are you blaming pros after all? As many of us vanilla players said, if few guys did something bad to you that doesnt mean everyone is bad. Now ill give you few situations so you can see what is going on on EU servers at least i have no idea how it is on US servers.

Situation #1 Imagine that noob or newbie player who just discovered teeworlds start game and somehow come across server where pros are playing cap game. Then he joins red or blue team, pros who wants to play cap game first tell him on English to go spec but since that noob is from some foreign country and doesnt know english he just ignore that. After that pros call vote or force him to join spec. After he is spec he immediately joins in again. So they again force him to spec and this happens 2-3 more times after they are bored of him they kick/ban him.
Situation #2 Imagine mid skilled player. He wont be picked during cap game, or he will be picked but at end due to lack of players. So after game starts pros realise how shitty that player is, they try to give him few tips and tell him to play better but then pride from that mid skilled player comes to surface he start to say "het gtfo with your tips, who are you to tell me how to play" and then he gets banned. It happened few times trust me
Situation #3 On most of servers if you show high skill to noob, they will just call vote to ban you with reason "botter", see it's not only pros who ban ppl and do bad things.

Then after all of that someone comes and cry on forum how pros are evil? Yea they are so mean... please, be realistic they ban you because they have right to. It's probably their server where you behaved bad and didnt follow rules or you have no basic idea what's going on. It doesnt matter, no one will allow you to ruin their games.

I dont blame noobs neither, they have no idea what is going on, that's why TW need some sort of basic information ingame, like tips and servers need to be filtered so you know what to expect before you join, is it high skilled server or low skilled server. Who i mostly blame are those mid skilled players who are too lazy to do anything, they would rather cry around and whine how pros are evil because they are not picked in cap games, or they are bunch of flamers. You know before there werent cap games i was raised on normal public games and by playing together with my clan. Cap games were developed later, by pros when scene went a bit inactive, so they would have some fun if they are not able to play CW. Im not fan of cap games neither they are 98% of times unbalanced and it's really shitty experience. That's why im not playing cap games most of time.
Now Broken you said aswell that pros only like to play against pros? That's not true, we (my clan) accept any kind of challenge. If you want to fight us on CW come and fight us we dont have problem playing against stronger or weaker opponents, and i think all clans think like this.

Vanilla is dieing and will die eventually if older players stop to play. But there is simple solution, instead of crying and b*tching around you, mid skilled players who still enjoy vanilla but you cant play because of arrogant pros, you can go find ppl of your level and practice anytime or guess what? you could make freaking clans. It's not like you need money to form a clan right? You just need to find ppl with who you enjoy to play and waste your time. (this part is not about you broken but i just want to express what's the main problem) Playing together with friends will give you much better time than playing solo, and CW's are usually much more funnier and intense than public games.

@Cartman
Well i agree with you in some parts. Like the one where you talked about ranked and matchmaking. Lack of that makes TW not competitive game enough at least for vanilla. As you know there is no motivation for someone to improve as most of player have no clue how intense 5on5 ctf2 game can be. There is no ladder or any way of ranking so you cant see and showoff who are best among players. Unlike Race or ddrace where you have top5 list on everymap, and you have simple goal, to be fastest and be #1. But without account system nothing of that will be possible on vanilla, and account system will probably never come to teeworlds.
When it comes to part where you talked about custom maps. I have no idea what are you talking about smile I never ever saw you ask us (or my clan) about playing CW or something else on custom map. We (my clan) never refuse that, we are glad to test maps if there is good one, give our opinions and even play CW's or CG's on those maps. And about fly mode, i wont play it and im sure my teammates share same thoughts. Why? Because CW besides vanilla is senseless in my eyes and i dont find fly funny at all. (yea i never played fly i probably suck there wink)

There is still hope, that some minor stuff can revive vanilla. Guys there is enough mid skilled players out there, form clans, unite, play together and try to be the best (if you want to) or just come to beat those pros who hurted you badly? Ha! how about that, yea if you try hard enough maybe you can surpass pros. Why dont you try that? but rather you like to blame them.
Ill say once and for all, you can play any mod be that ddrace or insta or pure race, if you are not part of vanilla community don't trash talk as this is not your business. There are few bad persons among high skilled players but they are minimal, dont judge everyone and put them title "BAD" above them just because of few guys.

~MM

USA community is the only that has ever been open to custom maps. Reason,  Broken and I looked around and put every decent custom map on the server list and pick them from time to time. We played a 5v5 on ctf_master_exploder a few days ago even. I myself have always been open to playing custom maps. I'm even into the fly scene. It's sad seeing maps that people put their time in, never even given a map because it isn't ctf or ctf2. Most simply don't want to learn how to play on a new map or call it shit without giving criticism and never look back.

50 (edited by Broken 2014-09-18 22:56:57)

_