Topic: Do you have any ideas for new power-ups?

Dear communitee,

we are thinking about enriching plain vanilla game play with some further power-ups and changing the ninja. Maybe you have some really creative ideas which suits the teestyle? If you do, please reply to this post and write down how it works. Small concept graphics are appreciated, otherwise describe the graphical effects.

See below for two examples.

Retro shield:
The shield consists of several butterflies which fly around the tee. Each of the butterflies has two or three hitpoints, which means that one of them will be removed, if a grenade or a laser shot hits them. It's not a 100% save shield as there are gaps between the butterflies.

Graphical effects:
Animated butterflies
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4696/powerup1.png

Ubu's linked health pool
Tees in a certain range around the who got the power-up will share the damage they receive.

Graphical effects:
A "holy" power chain between the linked tees and some special graphics for the tee who has the power-up.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8941/powerup2.png

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

2 (edited by TeePhoenix 2011-11-17 15:20:28)

Re: Do you have any ideas for new power-ups?

Here are some ideas:

• Vampiric Damage that heal yourself (inspired by Undeads in war3, but they heal only hearts)

• Hook damage (inspired by Undeads of the war3 mod)

• Increased Damage (inspired by Quad Damage of Quake 3 or Orcs of the war3 mod)

• Increased Firespeed (inspired by Orcs of the war3 mod)

• Possibility (untill death) for short distance Teleports (inspired by humans special of the war3 mod)

• Increased Armor, so that each shot makes you only 50% damage or something like that (inspired by humans of the war3 mod)

• Poison (inspired by Elfs of the war3 mod)

• A little damage reflection (inspired by Elfs of the war3 mod)

• Healthregeneration, for example 1 Healthpoint or Shield per second (inspired by Quake 3)

• Ammoregenration, for example 1 Ammo each 2 seconds

• Increased speed of projectiles, longer distance and increased bounces of lasers

• Invisiblity (but if you move you arent completely invisible only hard to see)

• Flymode / Jetpack (maybe instead of hook)

• Stasis field around the tee, so that each projectile gets slowed down (inspired by Matrix, Gothic 3, Starcraft 2, and many other)

• Increased gravity around the tee, so that all projectiles and tees close to the tee are affected by it.

• Ghost, so that you can move through walls, combined with flying

• Illusional Doubles, so that some (maybe 2 or 3) tees appear around you, that look like you but arent real. They also follow yourself. (Inspired by Starcraft)

• Combinations of some of them, for example Berserker: Increased Damage, Regeneration and maybe Armor but you only can use Hammer.

Edit:
If you plan to build in more than 1 power up there should be a a random power up that choose one of the available power ups. The question is if you will see which power up is chosen before you take it or only afterwards?

For some power ups there maybe should be a possibility for each map to set the time how long it affects the tee and maybe how strong it is. The server setting can be an multiplier of the maps setting.

The face of terrorism is called United States of America!

Really crazy ideas are appreciated, too.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Well I guess you can still remember it, Landil, but anyways, this is might be inspirational: http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5471

No, I do not want any boring ideas like new weapons, damage multiplier or increased fire rate.

Be creative e.g. matricks did a great suggestion: a mouth and teeth power-up. The tee gets a mouth and teeth. You can not shoot, so only the hook is usable. You eat enemies when they get close. Doing so increases your hp, hp pool and your physical size.

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/417944/zrdz.gif

So you want to convert vanilla teeworlds from a competitive and in some ways serious game into an fun game with fancy stuff? In my opinion this would ruin the game. Then you should do it as a mod not as part of vanilla teeworlds.

TeePhoenix wrote:

So you want to convert vanilla teeworlds from a competitive and in some ways serious game into an fun game with fancy stuff? In my opinion this would ruin the game. Then you should do it as a mod not as part of vanilla teeworlds.

He did not say anything like that imo. Just that original ideas are appreciated. Doesn't mean you're gonna have freaky wall powerups and infinite grenades.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

You get a monkey with a bananagun. It will shoot bananas, with the same behaviour like in worms: Bounce and after few seconds explode with incredible power (don't forget the spawning tombstones on frags).

But I would also accept to become Blastoise with the ability to throw opponents far away with hydro pump.

Or maybe a tee with a rainbow trail, in which team mates will regenerate hp.
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2329/nyan.png

10 (edited by Tee Killa 2011-11-17 19:46:14)

This is gorgeous! Nyan-Tee!

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

Landil wrote:

Or maybe a tee with a rainbow trail, in which team mates will regenerate hp.
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2329/nyan.png

Yeah, a 'Nyan' powerup! xD

well i had this idea there could be bad powerups too like get a kamikaze powerup that gives you 3 seconds and then you die

I'm gonna kill you!
My avatar was made by R.I.P TeBob.

13 (edited by Franchan 2011-11-17 22:30:43)

I am not a big fan of higher damage/ vampiric damage/ poison, abilities that do not require any skill/ strategy to use but give a significant advantage to the user.

I am not a big fan of physics changes either.

The linked health pool does not require any skill but it may promote teamplay and some sort of strategy in positioning the tees close together without being at risk of blocking each other or falling for a double grenade so that seems viable (but maybe too med- high level oriented).

A competitive indie multiplayer game i really respect is altitude.
http://nimblygames.com/wiki/index.php?title=Powerups <----- altitude powerups
and I believe with tweaking,  the shield, the wall and the missile could make for good powerups. (the rest are gametype oriented items).

The shield could be tweaked so that the direction is fixed on the tee when activated or be set to being opposite of the direction the tee is aiming (setting shield to forward would be cheap because it would make combat too easy) .
- needs to be tweaked cause teeworlds allows for fast aiming (ex. spinning) while altitude does not

The wall seems nice and the missile seems nice.

If you are deciding on doing "butterfly shields" or "nyan cat" powerups, keep in mind it may turn off more people from this game as it is taking teeworlds to a while new kiddie level. It is possible to have cuteness and a "badass" look/ feel of the game at the same time you know. tongue

-and we should test powerups VERY slowly in case it comes out to be a horrible failure.

EPIC RAINBOW !!!!!!! ( love that idea it's so perfecttttt big_smile )

Anyway, I've read somewhere about ideas of powerups ( can't remember where )
It was:

- You can pickup a mask of a "bull" and then you chase down other tees ( thought this was a good one )
- A baseball bat

I Hope there will come some epic changes like rainbow! big_smile

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

Alright, suppose you had a powerup that essentially "sucked"  health/armor from nearby tees. Within range of another tee, if you do not have full health/armor, you steal some of theirs. The powerup itself could look like a lightning bolt similar to the first post, and the animation would be like lightning going from one tee to another.

I know this might not be exactly what you asked for Landil but you mentioned changing the ninja so I might as well throw an idea out there. Instead of doing the whole direction speed boost towards another tee, the katana could instead be a swinging motion around the tee in a full circle. Damage would then be reduced a bit because you could now damage multiple tees around you.

I don't know, just throwing some stuff out there.

Do we have butTEErflies inside our teeworld?

Anyway, maybe the ninja could "bounce".
A ninja wall jumping wouldn't be that weird.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

17 (edited by SALAD 2011-11-18 07:17:19)

Landil wrote:

No, I do not want any boring ideas like new weapons, damage multiplier or increased fire rate.
Be creative e.g. matricks did a great suggestion: a mouth and teeth power-up. The tee gets a mouth and teeth. You can not shoot, so only the hook is usable. You eat enemies when they get close. Doing so increases your hp, hp pool and your physical size.

Love it big_smile

TeePhoenix wrote:

Doesn't mean you cant turn powerups off. Don't be so anti-change.

I have several ideas.
1) Maybe the powerups don't have to activate right away and you could press a button to use them.(mariokart style(it shows what powerup you have in the corner of your screen))
2)Invisibility? Maybe you could shoot while invisible and maybe not. It would take prediction to a whole new level. Maybe you can hear there jumps and hook. Probably only last 5-10 seconds. Maybe flicker on and off in a digital shield fashion?
3)A place-able trap? Maybe hooks other tee's? Maybe shoots them? Disappears after time? Could look like a tee statue?
4)A shout?(skyrim reference tongue) Your tee shouts and causes a shock wave that knocks back enemy tees. Causes a few damage or not?
5)Glad to see the community active big_smile KEEP IT UP!

-SALAD

Slinack wrote:

Do we have butTEErflies inside our teeworld?

Yes, but it has been removed with 0.3.0

Franchan wrote:

I am not a big fan of higher damage/ vampiric damage/ poison, abilities that do not require any skill/ strategy to use but give a significant advantage to the user.

Yes, you dont need skill to use such things, but you still need skill to be good with it. A noob wont be able to beat a good player even if he has such stuff. Doesnt powerup means improvements of the abilities of a tee, so that it has an advantage over others?

But my suggestion of the berserker for example gives you such advantages you dont like, but because of the disadvantage of only being able to use a hammer you still need skill to deal with such a powerup and even for those fanciness is everything that counts you could make look such a powerup really fancy. Just give such a tee with a berserk powerup a crazy looking face with big teeth from where blood comes out.

SALAD wrote:

Doesn't mean you cant turn powerups off. Don't be so anti-change.

I have made some suggestions for changes, so where I am anti-change? I just dont want that teeworlds gets ruined because of bad changes, so I dont have to like all changes! But if you are such a pro-change guy that likes each change even if it is stupid, let us implement this into teeworlds: If you attack another tee you will be banned from the server, this would improve teeworlds soooo much (i think the city mod players will love it) and everybody that doesnt like it, is just anti-change, yeah... -.-

Because fanciness matters and not the gameplay itself:

• Vampiric Damge => give a tee vampiric teeth and red eyes, so that he looks like an vampire or make him look like a bat-tee.

• Hook damage => replace the hook graphics with a lightning chain.

• Increased Damage => make the gun twice bigger than normal.

• Increased Firespeed => make the tee look like he would move nervously left and right very quick (even if he stands) so that he looks like he would be on speed.

• Possibility (until death) for short distance Teleports => Let the teleports look like the beaming of star trek.

• Increased Armor => give the tee a police body armor.

• Poison => make the weapon green with green blobs falling down and tees are poisoned get green too with a face that let them look ill.

• A little damage reflection => maybe similar to the life pool suggestion.

• Healthregeneration => a heart beat that comes out of the tees body, maybe hearable to other (like in comics).

• Ammoregenration => i have no idea how you could make it fancy.

• Increased speed of projectiles => i have no idea how you could make it fancy.

• Invisiblity => let the tee look like glas if he moves and if he doesnt move or attack he disappears completely.

• Flymode / Jetpack => give the tee a jetpack from where fire comes out.

• Stasis field around the tee, so that each projectile gets slowed down => this still would look fancy.

• Increased gravity around the tee, so that all projectiles and tees close to the tee are affected by it. => make tees and projectiles near the tee small and fat.

• Ghost, so that you can move through walls, combined with flying => Make the tee look like a fancy ghost.

• Illusional Doubles, so that some (maybe 2 or 3) tees appear around you, that look like you but arent real. They also follow yourself. => Each extra fanciness would ruin this, because you could see which one is the real.

• Combinations of some of them, for example Berserker: Increased Damage, Regeneration and maybe Armor but you only can use Hammer. => described above.

In my opinion we should first look about what should be implemented because of game play not because of fanciness, because this is the least that interests if you play a game longer than 1 minute! Afterwards we can look how this powerup that would be a game play enrichment can be made fancy!

Games that are played for a long time arent that games, that are hyped for a short time because of graphics and are gameplay shit, like many games you get today, they are those games that have a great gameplay and doesnt look necessarily fancy (this is only a bonus)! At the moment teeworlds belongs to the last and I hope that this aspect wont change...

20 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2011-11-18 18:46:11)

Well I had an idea:Something like Quad Damage from Quake or Double Damage from Unreal Tournament but as you said... :\

Anyways I don't like the retro shield* or linked health pool.**
*This is not WoW so I think that it wouldn't fit. Plus I think that normal shield is enough.
**Again seems like a Spirit Walker ability from WarCraft.

OK here are my ideas:

1. Something reverse of health pool gun. In UT 2003 and above you have the "Link Gun" and when it's secondary fire is projected to teammate who is also equped with the link gun,your link gun damage points are added to the damage points of your teammate's link gun when he shoots.

For example: Let's say the link gun does damage 50hp per second. A teammate connects to you and your link gun gets +50 damage points so now you have 100hp per second DP!!!

2. I think tw shouldn't have too much powerups. Teh ninja could be enhanced with increased agility(moveability..(bad spelling)) and maybe some special tricks like Dante's Trickster ability Sky Star (DMC 3 and 4) maybe name it "Sky Jump" tongue

I'll suggest more later on...

Nice Nyan Tee btw...

Once in a century...

TeePhoenix wrote:
Franchan wrote:

Yes, you dont need skill to use such things, but you still need skill to be good with it. A noob wont be able to beat a good player even if he has such stuff. Doesnt powerup means improvements of the abilities of a tee, so that it has an advantage over others?

I'm not saying those are imbalanced (powerups a noob can beat pros with). I'm  just saying i like powerups that add depth instead of just addon powerups.

If 2 people of same skill level playing against each other,
1 person with a powerup such as higher damage vs a person without it, the person with higher damage powerup would win with no added skill or stratagy.

If 1 person had a powerup such as a movable shield vs a person without it, you still need skill to use the shield (assuming it has been tweaked to do that) and the person with the powerup would still win but he/she would have to use different tactics/ skills to do so.

-> Infinity ammo*
-> Hook Damage*
-> Hammer Killing (Whid this power-up, beating some one whid a Hammer will kill the enemy istatly but it just works one time and who is using this power-up will becaume slower)
-> Poison*

->I dont like the "Eating Tees" Idea. To many power-ups will becaume the game boring in some time (Is this a joke? xD)

->Making a "Randow Power-Up Box"

I know that some ideias are the same that TeePhoenix have said. I agree whid him in that pointz*

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

- invisibilty ? simple you turn invisible pretty lame but you can be tha real ninja

- Tea bag: Tee Size increases to 2x2 tiles. inability to use weapons. except hook. enemys stick to the body and speed increases the more tees stick to your body. You deal constant dmg to the sticked tees.  Sticked tees are unable to use any weapons / hook .  Sticked tees can be removed from the big tee by teammates through hooking them

- Tea bag ver 2:  Hook turns into a tea bag.  Hooked enemys drink tea for a certain amount. Drinking teas cannt do anything .

- Rumble box: Similar to Mario pow: once you can use a block / hammer / whatever and deal global dmg within a circle with you as center.

- light bulb: enemys are blinded by the light if you activate. Vision of enemys is more limited.

- MIndjack: controls of  nearby enemys are reversed

Make abilities for each tee
something like mmm i dont know, each skin its a different tee, with other characteristics, like, it has more ammo, more armor, its heavy, its not, mmm but every tee has its own ability that cant be copied, and every ability its not better that other abilities, mmm last part
each tee has its own ability, everyone has different abilities, that are good, but no one its the best , ist like balance
hope Its a good idea XD

=> War3 or something else...