Re: Extra major complaint

Lord Kirby wrote:

I think we should leave teeworlds as the cute, lovable addictive and extremely fast paced game that it is.
I say forget about problems and let everyone have fun, and let everyone make their own things for it (useless or not, teeworlds is opensource). smile
Teeworlds isn't Teeworlds without a hook.
Do not EVER remove the laser please, because the Laser is awesome.
Instagib: No one should have a problem with that. Lots of people play that.
DDrace: Fine.
DM: Perfect. (dm2 with angrybirirds tiles rocks!!)
Lamefun, you are talking about things that could make me cry. sad

I don't want to change standard gametypes in any way. I just want modders to be able to implement stuff properly instead of relying on workarounds.

Lord Kirby wrote:

focing people to try new maps is horrible.
But I do think that people should at least try new maps.
Its not that bad to try.

It'll kill Teeworlds. As I said, no Teeworlds, no problems.

Lord Kirby wrote:

I do hate the large amount of funvoters that think that skilled players are bots though.

They honestly can't distinguish between bots and pros.

BotoX wrote:

Extra: Remove the hook. Kill the DDRace community.

It could also kill vanilla high-level scene..

28 (edited by 2012-08-05 11:35:52)

Dune wrote:

I pose this question to you guys. If someone were to edit the teeworlds client to include a mod loader that pulls a list of official mods from online and lets the player download it and play it. Would you consider adding it to the original client, if not why not?

Probably not, for the sole reason of security issues.

The problem here is, that with this feature, you make it easy for the bad guys, to get their malicious code executed on the victims machines. We would need to find some way to "sandbox" these "mods" so they are very limited in the damage they can do. On the other hand, this might again limit the possibilities of those client mods. However, all of this would be a lot easier in LUA, and the other good thing about lua is that it is a interpreted language, which means you won't get a binary as mod, but you will have the source files, which means you could actually have a look at them and check if they do anything bad, before you execute them. I still think this would be quite a good approach, but it requires a lot of work, and I think we need to do more important stuff first.

lamefun wrote:

I just want modders to be able to implement stuff properly instead of relying on workarounds.

This will always need client mods, and if we implement a client mod downloader, well see above what I wrote about that. You said earlier, that the protocol is quite restrictive which makes it hard to implement some things. Could you please name some examples and maybe give some possible solutions? I don't think it would hurt anybody to alter the protocol a bit so that it is easier to implement new things (this would actually be quite nice for vanilla development, too, because we would not need to break compatibility with the old version so fast, when developing).

29 (edited by Dune 2012-08-05 11:42:43)

Lord Kirby wrote:

That was just irony.

@ghost: Does using LUA fix these security issues? I thought they abandoned the LUA project partially because of that.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

30 (edited by Zodiac 2012-08-05 12:01:35)

ghost wrote:
Dune wrote:

I pose this question to you guys. If someone were to edit the teeworlds client to include a mod loader that pulls a list of official mods from online and lets the player download it and play it. Would you consider adding it to the original client, if not why not?

Probably not, for the sole reason of security issues.

The problem here is, that with this feature, you make it easy for the bad guys, to get their malicious code executed on the victims machines. We would need to find some way to "sandbox" these "mods" so they are very limited in the damage they can do. On the other hand, this might again limit the possibilities of those client mods. However, all of this would be a lot easier in LUA, and the other good thing about lua is that it is a interpreted language, which means you won't get a binary as mod, but you will have the source files, which means you could actually have a look at them and check if they do anything bad, before you execute them. I still think this would be quite a good approach, but it requires a lot of work, and I think we need to do more important stuff first.

lamefun wrote:

I just want modders to be able to implement stuff properly instead of relying on workarounds.

This will always need client mods, and if we implement a client mod downloader, well see above what I wrote about that. You said earlier, that the protocol is quite restrictive which makes it hard to implement some things. Could you please name some examples and maybe give some possible solutions? I don't think it would hurt anybody to alter the protocol a bit so that it is easier to implement new things (this would actually be quite nice for vanilla development, too, because we would not need to break compatibility with the old version so fast, when developing).

Thanks, this is all I wanted to see. Working together to try come up with a solution to the problem (and admittedly a very hard one at that), rather than just dismiss it without giving it much thought.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on either of these languages (only started on C++ this year), but could a temporary solution to the malicious code problem but that you only able to load mods that are from an official list of trusted developers, whose code is publicly available. Such as the DDrace mod.

In terms of the sandboxing approach, which would definitely be the safer option, you said  that it would take a lot of time, but what if someone else offered to do the programming of it; freeing you guys up to work on other more important things. The only thing you would need to do is just to go through the code to make sure that it is legit and is up to standard.

AvidTeeworlder wrote:

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on either of these languages (only started on C++ this year), but could a temporary solution to the malicious code problem but that you only able to load mods that are from an official list of trusted developers, whose code is publicly available. Such as the DDrace mod.

In terms of the sandboxing approach, which would definitely be the safer option, you said  that it would take a lot of time, but what if someone else offered to do the programming of it; freeing you guys up to work on other more important things. The only thing you would need to do is just to go through the code to make sure that it is legit and is up to standard

It doesn't fix anything in the long term unfortunately. We can't manually just check and approve every single modification, and even worse, every single modification update.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

32 (edited by Zodiac 2012-08-05 12:03:20)

Dune wrote:
AvidTeeworlder wrote:

In terms of the sandboxing approach, which would definitely be the safer option, you said  that it would take a lot of time, but what if someone else offered to do the programming of it; freeing you guys up to work on other more important things. The only thing you would need to do is just to go through the code to make sure that it is legit and is up to standard

It doesn't fix anything in the long term unfortunately. We can't manually just check and approve every single modification, and even worse, every single modification update.

Fair enough, I think the sandboxing approach would be the best bet or something else if anyone has a better idea.

EDIT:
I think another thread should be made focusing, on the mod loader as the other pointless "issues" and solutions mentioned in the initial post detract from the main problem at hand. Also should be titled differently maybe "Mod Loader, possible solutions?" rather than the current title as I don't see this as a complaint but instead a suggestion.

33 (edited by 2012-08-05 12:40:54)

@Dune: It is still problematic, I don't know if that was one of the reasons why it was abandoned, but it is still easier in LUA then in c++ imo.

AvidTeeworlder wrote:

In terms of the sandboxing approach, which would definitely be the safer option, you said  that it would take a lot of time, but what if someone else offered to do the programming of it; freeing you guys up to work on other more important things. The only thing you would need to do is just to go through the code to make sure that it is legit and is up to standard.

That would be very nice of course. Teeworlds is open source and everyone is free to send in their own patches and if they are quality material, they will surely be integrated.

ghost wrote:

@Dune: It is still problematic, I don't know if that was one of the reasons why it was abandoned, but it is still easier in LUA then in c++ imo.

AvidTeeworlder wrote:

That would be very nice of course. Teeworlds is open source and everyone is free to send in their own patches and if they are quality material, they will surely be integrated.

Thats great to hear, but Ghost please could you find out by speaking with oy or whoever else, what their thoughts are on this and if they approve of the feature. Because taking the magnitude of programming this, it would be a complete waste if people go through all this work for it not to be included. Or tell me the proper channels to speak with them in regards to this, because I am sure they are too busy to answer every pm they receive.

35 (edited by Kirbs 2012-08-05 18:50:15)

lamefun wrote:
Lord Kirby wrote:

I think we should leave teeworlds as the cute, lovable addictive and extremely fast paced game that it is.
I say forget about problems and let everyone have fun, and let everyone make their own things for it (useless or not, teeworlds is opensource). smile
Instagib: No one should have a problem with that. Lots of people play that.
DDrace: Fine.
DM: Perfect. (dm2 with angrybirirds tiles rocks!!)
Lamefun, you are talking about things that could make me cry. sad

I don't want to change standard gametypes in any way. I just want modders to be able to implement stuff properly instead of relying on workarounds.

Lord Kirby wrote:

focing people to try new maps is horrible.
But I do think that people should at least try new maps.
Its not that bad to try.

It'll kill Teeworlds. As I said, no Teeworlds, no problems.

Lord Kirby wrote:

I do hate the large amount of funvoters that think that skilled players are bots though.

They honestly can't distinguish between bots and pros.

Yes. They can't tell if others are bots or pros. Obviusly.
So, you just want to leave the current mods and prohibit people from making new mods? Leave the hook and laser? Thats fine. But long as Teeworlds has the Laser,Hook, and all the current mods (crazy mod is bad and a faliure) then I'm happy. smile

no

Lord Kirby wrote:

So, you just want to leave the current mods and prohibit people from making new mods? Leave the hook and laser? Thats fine. But long as Teeworlds has the Laser,Hook, and all the current mods (crazy mod is bad and a faliure) then I'm happy. smile

No, I want the opposite.  I want to give more power to the people who make mods.

I want to make mod makers to make changes into Teeworlds protocol. For example, there could be mods with more than five weapons, mods with vehicles that look like this:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/RT-13/Unbenannt-1.png

and not ones made from hearts or armors -.-

37 (edited by Kirbs 2012-08-05 19:39:39)

Lamefun, I LOVE your idea of giving more power to mod makers.
+1 on the 5 weapons and better vehicles.
I love that picture.

I like your idea you just posted Lamefun.

no

38 (edited by Dune 2012-08-05 21:26:34)

Vehicles in Teeworlds! Totally teeish!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

About the maps and players not trying new maps, i remember that back when not many players knew how to make maps , whenever there was a new most of the people tried it, I think the problem might be the ridiculous amount of custom maps that are released every day and their lack of quality is what makes players stick to just a few maps, i know there are really good custom maps but to find 1 in 100 is not what players like to do so that's why they stick to what they know.

I'm gonna kill you!
My avatar was made by R.I.P TeBob.

Dune wrote:

It could be! But it wont... But I would like to give more power to people to encourage them to make new maps and mods. Maybe make a tutorial in which the most important step is to instruct people to come up with original and awesome mods like openFNG and zCatch.

Once in a century...

DARK HUNTER wrote:
Dune wrote:

It could be!

Wtf? Mario Kard? I thought you wore talking about Game Boy ones, here
Jk. smile

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

42 (edited by lamefun 2012-08-15 00:14:46)

var a = "I am a string!";  
alert(typeof a); // Will output "string"  
var b = new String("I am also a string!");  
alert(typeof b); // Will output "object"

Omg... Who made JavaScript?

Kinda offtopic, but... vehicles are boring.

How can a vehicle be faster than a tee? It can't, unless you want to teleport, then go play a Class mod.
Do you want it to make a tee stronger? A tee is already pretty strong (at least if you are good), and we have armor.

I can't see how a vehicle would fit teeworlds, unless you are playing City.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

44 (edited by lamefun 2012-08-15 12:42:45)

And standard Teeworlds is a boring game deliberately crafted against players. The only thing that saves it is laser, without which the only thing people can do is to camp.

+1 HeroiAmarelo. Good ole FNG and ZCATCH..

Lamefun how dare you underestimate the shotgun and grendade, and [worthless but funny] hammer. And pistol. but pistol sucks if you have a trakball mouse.

no

Teeworlds need a panic button... i know that this button can destroy all the universe and i like it alot! ^^

47 (edited by Ioannisjanni 2012-08-16 10:53:59)

Dune wrote:
AvidTeeworlder wrote:

The way I see it, teeworlds Mods is like Warcraft 3's custom games; it is what is keeping this game alive as everyone likes to have choices. I am not saying that they should go through all this trouble that was listed above, but they certainly shouldn't just disregard the value that modding brings to Teeworlds.

That's the way you see it, and I disagree with that. It may be true for War3, but it's not because there are 800 players playing mods and 200 on vanilla that if mods wouldn't exist there would be 200 people on vanilla. Fact is, newbies first play vanilla and then get caught by the "casu mods".
That's just another opinion, some people also think like you, obviously, but don't consider that as a fact.

Come to think of it, (donno if this is in line with what lamefun has been saying), but teeworlds could add a similar functionality that Counter Strike has. Where you are able to load up mods in the client. I would even go as far as teeworld's creating a list of official support mods where you able to download them and load them up from your client.

The question being, like slayer said, do we really want to help mods at the extend they would lose any link with the actual game? The game is not trying to "crush mods", it's not like they locked the code to prevent good mods.

its true that teeworlds has gone as far as being inactive in the official gametypes , but i want to say , that this is one of the cool things about teeworlds : Its TeeWorlds ! thats just how it is , if u want it or not , or of course you can force tees to not play mods by  banning all the other well populated mods , but that wouldnt be right. of course there are some mods where you just say .. WTF , the unteeish mods , thats just a fact of teeworlds, it has problems , but we cant just say to the proud modder that we will ban his mod just cause we dont like it ! or can we ?

love

-Ioannisjanni

-Edit :

of course all of this above is only ment if i understand this right , please correct me if i missunderstand ( im not the most experienced modder , i dont mod at all , i just want to understand the way things go tongue)

Teeworlds!!!!

I dont read the whole thread but i know both sides.
On the one hand mods like nodes could add very nice gametypes to teeworlds. on the other hand the devs dont want to support this stuff. I know that it is hard to provide a good modding api. As Dune and Ghost said before you have to fix security issues and keep the mod running in a sandbox. Also you need to make sure that the scripts work on every OS which isn't easy if the api grows. The selection of the API is a very important step.

I decided to use lua due to it's easy implementation. But i noticed that lua is just amazing. It supports everything you need for modding. including an simple c/c++ interface to add new functions and of course multiple return values which makes functions like GetCharacterPos very easy:
x, y = GetCharacterPos(id)

This is one of the main advantage. Javascript is a good scripting language too but i do not think that javascript would be good for teeworlds.

The Lua API that i provide grows to about 15'000-20'000 lines of c/c++ code. Additionally we added sqlite3 to provide an easy way to store data. The whole client is about 3 times larger (line number) as the normal client. This is caused due to the additional libs needed to provide simple and great modding possibility. We are also working to make the lua api safer. This includes to deny system calls, etc.

To conclude: I dont know if these kind of modding would be good for teeworlds. due to this fact i launched and kept this project as an unofficial client/server mod. I know that there are good reason for these kind of modding but there are also good reasons to KEEP IT SIMPLE (kiss).

I think a scripting language would not be added before 0.9.0

I do not know wrote:

Teeworlds need a panic button... i know that this button can destroy all the universe and i like it alot! ^^

YEAHHHHHHHHH!
I think you've got somthing there. big_smile
Just spew everything you have and kill everything on the screen like in Hexen2 or Quake!

no

@MAP94
Can you please tell us a bit more about your lua integration project?

As far as i understand, it is more-less known how to deal with the arising security problems. The real challenge is making sure lua scripts and sqlite wont introduce any lags.

If you use only lua it might still be possible to just process game events in a single thread, but if you add sqlite your only option is to make everything asynchronous, that is moving everything in its own thread. Now that would be really difficult as it would likely require complex locking strategies to avoid race conditions and stuff.

So, how are these concerns addressed in your project?