Topic: Working on: a new skin system for 0.7 or 0.8

/!\ This is just an idea - not a single line of code has ben written as of today /!\

Dear communitee,

Today I was doing some brainwork for a next big version (0.7 or 0.8). Some days ago I was chatting with Crises and we discussed the idea of reforming the skin system. You, the players, should have more options when creating and customizing tees. You always asked for more official tee skins and the following approach tries to accomplish this.

The official skins will be atomised into six components. Those are the body, the body pattern, the decoration, the hands and the feet. You will be able to choose between 4 different bodies (circle, kitty, bear, ninja), 13 body patterns (e.g. cammo, cammostripes ...), 3 decorations (hair, onebop, duobop), 1 set of hands (standard), 1 set of feet (standard) and 1 set of eyes (standard).

Before you start moaning - I'm aware of the fact that you want to customize your tee and add custom skins. That is the reason why I thought about an option to choose different eyes, feet and hands. If the skin system will be changed, there will be an option to (hopefully) easily add further skins.

The concept still needs some further polishing and the design may change completely. Besides, is one of the coders able and willing to code the skins system rework?

Yours faithfully,

Landil

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4416/g55259.png

edit: I made an animated mockup at http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/forum/ … ed_mockup/
edit2: If you are interested in reading the concept I worked out you may read it here

Post's attachments

Attachment icon tw_skin_system_redesign.pdf 404.46 kb, 2955 downloads since 2011-11-11 

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Re: Working on: a new skin system for 0.7 or 0.8

this is a very nice idea and will hopefully find its way into teeworlds smile

I already tryed to do the bars to change the color. Besides the big field its quite easy to do smile
The big field failed when i tryed it. I guess because its all rendered as triangles.

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

That would be epic!

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

This will take customizing in a whole new level. I wonder how the finished result will look like.

A wise man told his fellow FPS gamers once: "god forbid any of you going into war"

I wonder how custom servers will abuse this. smile Multiple rainbow effects on one tee maybe?

Great idea! Keep up the good work!

-SALAD

This is very cool! Waiting for update

Wow! very nice idea ^.^

I made an animated mockup: http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/forum/ … ed_mockup/

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Epic idea, and nice video! yikes

I am waiting for this update big_smile

I love the idea... =]
another day looking at this i got lots of ideas for new "items".. but who cares!
tongue

You should make another decorations and stuff in the future, have any plans ?
smile

I think, if we had more possibilities of choice, we would not need to create personal skins and add always the another ones in the folder to see and bla bla...

then the problem would be the fakers ... -.-

*~°~~°~ Ryomou Wins... Flawless Victory ! ~°~~°~*
Support me: Subscribe!
[Fatality]

before really diving into the graphics the whole thing should be coded.

There is noone sacrificing his time to code it yet. hmm

teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

14 (edited by Dune 2011-11-08 13:41:47)

I believe that this will be very heavy to implement, not only the additions to the engine and to the network protocol but also the UI will take time to build (I guess it would be much easier if there wasn't that quadratic preview of the possible colors...).

The idea is really good, but I'm wondering if it's work the amount of work it requires. Still, I'm maybe overestimating it, may someone proof me wrong.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

the changes to the UI shouldnt be that hard except for the color quad which could be left out in my opinion... the colored bars are no problem.
The changes to the network shouldnt be that problem... i would suggest just to send an id for each part of the skin.

*gV* rox ^^

Dune wrote:

I believe that this will be very heavy to implement, not only the additions to the engine and to the network protocol but also the UI will take time to build (I guess it would be much easier if there wasn't that quadratic preview of the possible colors...).

The idea is really good, but I'm wondering if it's work the amount of work it requires. Still, I'm maybe overestimating it, may someone proof me wrong.

If the color picker is too difficult to code we can switch to a preselection of colored squares.

I Reallyyy Like the idea, But I think on the picture that you're editing it on Shouldn't Have the Hand On It. Tee Hands Without Weapons look weird.

Italic text

Really nice idea! I cant wait to see that live!

I'm afraid of implement hats in teeworld :-D

Can't wait for this.

Hats would look cool but they might make the tees seem less "killable". tongue

Left Eye and Right Eye. I think this will be better )

Sushi Tee wrote:

"sacrificing time" [...]  wow
Isn't it something cool for the game ?
At least all players here seem to like it, thought u said it was nice, too.

[Fatality]

23 (edited by Dune 2011-11-09 11:28:45)

Ryomou Hentai Girl wrote:
Sushi Tee wrote:

"sacrificing time" [...]  wow
Isn't it something cool for the game ?

You don't only need to like the idea to be able to code the whole thing. And it seems like the people who would be able to do it or either not motivated for it either do not have time - at the moment. Just paraphrasing Sushi Tee.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Ryomou Hentai Girl wrote:

"sacrificing time" [...]  wow  Isn't it something cool for the game ?

Sushi is one of those few people who currently are actively coding on teeworlds. We two are working on another project and he does not have the time to do two big projects. I am going to work out theskin system concept in detail and will offer it at the #teeworlds-dev channel. Hopefully we will find someone to code it.

I know Dune, that's what i meant ! ;D
When he called this sacrifice, I thought = not motivated.
...and Landil I know what he does in Tw.
So, I hope u find another person to help u with this, its really cool !
wink

Btw, nice to know that u have another project comming out soon.

[Fatality]