Topic: [Question] limited download speed

Hi

Sometime i was wondering about the fast map downloading from teeworlds servers big_smile
I asked a friend: "why is downloading maps from teeworlds servers so damn slow?"
He answered that the download speed is limited because players in the servers shouldnt get lagging.

Its no bad thing but i think there are some hosts with good servers on them players wont get lagging by faster downloading the map wink

Why isnt there a command to set it? I think this is an idea for 6.1 =]

I'm sorry for my bad english

Re: [Question] limited download speed

I really don't think the download speed is voluntarily limited into Teeworlds, this being said, I don't know much about networks neither how they implemented the file downloading in Teeworlds, but I'm sure they would increased the download speed if they could.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Most of the good (!) maps aren't big either, so downloading them won't take long with a speed of 10 kByte / second. And as an addition, good maps should not be damn huge.

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

right.. i know..
I am a mapper and im doing what i can to keep the size of my maps so small i can wink

But if there would be a way to download faster. Then some maps could look better and you wouldnt have to wait 2-3 mins downloading em sad

5 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2011-07-16 14:59:19)

Well you are downloading a map from a server which has to deal with so many things at once.

A good idea is to upload big maps to file hosters. (Like alias and Bee did with TeeLegend) Download the map normaly and put it in %appdata%\teeworlds\downloadedmaps

OK bad idea sad

Once in a century...

6 (edited by Dune 2011-07-16 16:29:07)

Elite Tee wrote:

Well you are downloading a map from a server which has to deal with so many things at once.

A good idea is to upload big maps to file hosters. (Like alias and Bee did with TeeLegend) Download the map normaly and put it in %appdata%\teeworlds\downloadedmaps

OK bad idea sad

Like I've already said, I highly doubt this is due to overwhelming traffic on the servers, it's more of a client-sided problem which cannot be as good as web browser downloaders imo.
The idea of externally downloading maps is just not viable, you obviously spend a lot more time in finding the map / downloading it / putting it in the right folder.

Edit: I apologize, I was wrong. The map download speed is truely limited and here is an issue on git about this: Issue #712. (Thanks to Kottizen for reporting this).

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Isn't it also a problem with the tick? Because you only get 50 Packets per second. And these packets are also not filled up with data. I also don't know much about low level networking but I think I can calculate the packet size ^^
Tickrate: 50
Average downloadrate: 20kb/s
Average packetsize per Tick: 20/50 = 0.4 kb?
Am I right? (I don't think so xD)

0.4 kib =~ 409.6Bytes. A 410 Bytes packet size is viable, isn't it?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

The correct maximum UDP message size is 65507, as determined by the following formula: 0xffff - (sizeof(IP Header) + sizeof(UDP Header)) = 65535-(20+8) = 65507

Found @ Google: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1098 … e-internet
But I think we can use something like 1-4 Kb per packet.

Maybe someone can explain the code here: https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/issues/712 ?

BotoX wrote:

Isn't it also a problem with the tick? Because you only get 50 Packets per second. And these packets are also not filled up with data. I also don't know much about low level networking but I think I can calculate the packet size ^^
Tickrate: 50
Average downloadrate: 20kb/s
Average packetsize per Tick: 20/50 = 0.4 kb?
Am I right? (I don't think so xD)

You can get more packets per second...
The download speed is just ping dependant which isn't common. This explains as follows: The client requests a chunk of the map from the server and waits for the answer before requesting the next one.

So if i modify the client to request more chunks? It should be faster. The client buffers the chunks and at the end he builds the whole map (set one chunk after the previous and so on). Am I right? ^^

I once asked Matricks this and he said it was so that one person would not hog all of the bandwidth... yikes

Maybe Matricks was hosting home servers? ^.^

Well thanks for you comments.
I have got a last question: sv_high_bandwidth is only possible if someone connects per LAN?? Or does it work online, too?
Sry for that question again tongue

It works in online mode too. But please. Do. Not. Use. It. Online.

Why not? what will happen then?

It will use more bandwidth. No problem if you have a good connection (dedicated server). The players will be updated more often. But when a client has got a really really bad connection, he can't play on your server, because he will lag like hell.

But it's no problem without sv_high_bandwidth... And this setting explicitly states that it should only be used  in LAN. So just don't use it for internet servers.