1 (edited by Theolol 2013-02-24 14:22:33)

Topic: (MWG)[(T)DM-Map] DM_Selva

Hey everybody,
We want to present our new (T)DM-Map!
Since we got no time to ask Ch1 to have a look at this map we wanted to post it here :-)
Landil looked the gfx over and maybe ch1 will too :>
We hope that there is a chance to get this map offcial in some way for the next TWs. :-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please report every bug(s)/problem(s)

Some facts 'bout the map

general

map_name: dm_selva
gametype: DM / TDM / iDM / iTDM / *.DM / *.TDM
size: 140x100
download size: 41.4 kb
current_version: 2.1.2
created by Theolol & Calvino
[Didn't use rename function - wasn't available while producing the map]

weapons
rifle: 1
shotgun: 5
grenade: 4
Katana: 1

miscellaneous
hearts:  27
shields: 25

used tilesets

External
             +jungle_main
              +jungle_doodads
              +jungle_background
              +jungle_midground
          +jungle_unhookables
          +grass_main

Embedded
                 -teewater
                 -teewater2

Credits for those embedded ones go to: Landil!

Download & Screens

Download 'dm_selva'

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4854/screenshot2011080115082.png

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6756/screenshot2011080115104.png

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4310/screenshot2011080115105.png

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6756/screenshot2011080115104.png

Thanks for readin' :-)

Everybody is allowed to use this map on his / her server.
Versions may be uploaded so have a look in this thread in some time again ;-)
Greetingz from Germany

Theolol

Edit: 2.1.2:  #Changed some small things.

2 (edited by Tee Killa 2011-08-01 17:54:10)

Re: (MWG)[(T)DM-Map] DM_Selva

Screenshots don't work for me.

//edit: Downlaod doesn't work aswell.

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

3 (edited by Theolol 2011-08-01 18:10:53)

Gonna fix it, sorry

Edit: The page where the screens & download links are hosted is down atm... Fail big_smile Sorry, i think it takes some time :-(

Edit2: Changed hoster

its looking great^^

Sin wrote:

its looking great^^

Definitely! You are someone who cares a lot for details, already saw this at your last map. I like this! Thumbs up.

Going to testplay it later on. Any public servers up at the moment?

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

Sadly there's no public server running this map :-( Maybe I got a server in a few hours.
Thanks dudes smile

7 (edited by HipHopBlond 2011-08-01 18:54:07)

Tee Killa wrote:

Going to testplay it later on. Any public servers up at the moment?

Theolol wrote:

Sadly there's no public server running this map :-( Maybe I got a server in a few hours.
Thanks dudes

When was the last tiem I didn't host a map made by you ;D

Come dudes, you're welcome on: «HipHopBlond's Vanilla Server»

- Server updated to 0.6.1
- Theolol's dm_selva map added
- Me an Spitfire are awaiting you :)

Your maps rule :)

The map actually looks quite nice. It has a lot of similarities with the official dm maps like dm2 or dm7. In m eyes, it could go along with them as dm10 or whatever in the next release. However, the question is rather: Do we need another big dm map, that is not very interesting for serious and more high-level games? I actually don't think so. dm2, dm6 and dm7 server that purpose perfectly, and I think that is enough. Still your map is really nice! Maybe you could try working on a ctf or tdm map. Chances are a lot better for those to get official. However, It will be a lot more challenging, because you need to work harder on movement and pickup placement, but you seem to be a good mapper, so I encourage you to take that challenge!

9 (edited by Theolol 2011-08-01 19:23:21)

Thanks mates smile

Edit: Maybe u've got some time to test it again with me and explain your problems. smile

I have played the map and i enjoyed it, very much detail yikes !!
There are maybe a little too many bumps, but gameplay is nice!

Hej, nice you released it! Do you remember those tons of pDM matches big_smile ? Anyway, you deserve any positive comment, and as I said you at least 1000 times: that waterfall looks great! Good job, you're really a good mapper and I hope to see more maps from you soon. wink Good job man! [+]

» Albert Einsteein: I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

Nice detailed map ! smile
its up on my server: "[NOR] Norwegian HUB"
vote for it in the "call vote" tab if its not already on. wink

MertenNor

->My 24/7 servers: [NOR] Norwegian HUB <- Back Online !! big_smile
( My grammar is getting better ! smile I think.. )
-Norway

If chilly decides that this map becomes official I will have a look at the waterfall animation and graphics. For a community map it's great, but for an official map it will need at least some graphical tweaks smile

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Sure :-)
I'm glad if anyone can fix smth and make it better :-) But please just let me be part of the tweaking process ;-)
I want to improve my skills (:

I have been playing this map for about half an hour and personally, I think it is amazing. We need this guy on the official mappers team. This map is fantastic. Thanks Theo.

-SALAD

To calm this discussion down a bit: To be an official mapper means more than just creating beautiful maps, with nice details and stuff. The most important and hard task with being an official mapper is creating maps that have a very nice gameplay. That means nice movement, good placement of pickups, interesting tactical things for ctf/tdm/1on1 games. Only a very skilled mapper can reach all these things while making the map playable for the low level scene, too.

And just to tell you, even the official mappers are not always able to achieve all this, look at ctf6 e.g.

This map here looks quite nice, but has some problems with pickup placement and movement. So In my eyes, Theolol is not yet ready to be an official mapper. You need more experience when it comes to gameplay and creating competitive maps (and for this, I think, at least a certain amount of skill is necessary in teeworlds, so you can move fast).

ghost wrote:

To calm this discussion down a bit: To be an official mapper means more than just creating beautiful maps, with nice details and stuff. The most important and hard task with being an official mapper is creating maps that have a very nice gameplay. That means nice movement, good placement of pickups, interesting tactical things for ctf/tdm/1on1 games. Only a very skilled mapper can reach all these things while making the map playable for the low level scene, too.

And just to tell you, even the official mappers are not always able to achieve all this, look at ctf6 e.g.

This map here looks quite nice, but has some problems with pickup placement and movement. So In my eyes, Theolol is not yet ready to be an official mapper. You need more experience when it comes to gameplay and creating competitive maps (and for this, I think, at least a certain amount of skill is necessary in teeworlds, so you can move fast).

It's true: nice map, nice graphics - no question but it doesn't suffice to become official I think..

visit our clan!
=Eagle=

Hey :-)
Sure it's a hard way to become a official mapper [Anyway - maybe there's space to be "Map-Desinger" ;-)] but I'd like to go this way - so srsly I've to improve myself but i WANT to do that. And to do so I've to try some maps & probably get skill while gettin' new experience. smile
I'm also new in the "mapping vanilla"- branch so its hard for me to create workin' maps smile I didn't map anything but race some time ago xD

Furthermore I'd like to get this skill to be a good mapper and to get it I'm in need of your support. Tell me where r problems  & what to improve. Hope u will do so smile

Greetings
Theo

For ctf maps: take a closer look at the official maps, like ctf2, ctf3, or some really good community maps like ctf_lava. They all have several things in common, here are 2 of them:

• very good pickup placement, meaning it is very balanced in that sense

• very fluent, but still unique movement

Try to get the feeling of those maps, and try to create something that has a similar feeling, but still is different in some ways, to make it unique. This thread also offers a very nice explanation of how good ctf maps work, it refers to ctf2. I think you can learn a lot there.

Sure i made a ctf map once ago i think it matches in some ways some of these points.
I dont mean "support" in way of posting tutorials how to map. I do think 'bout in some way of joining me on a server and telling me exactly what's my fault and how to fix it.  smile
I just want to get some practice not some theorethical help. If ya know what i mean big_smile
The  theoretical stuff is in some ways clear.

Greetings Theo

(I dont want this to be snippy ^_^)

I know what you meant, and of course this is the best way to improve. However, there are some basic concepts that should be clear before even starting with professional ctf mapping. I just wanted to give you this hint. I think many people will be happy to test and analize your maps and give you (positiv) criticism smile

To be honest professional mapping does not bring you very far.
The map most played by high level players is ctf2 which was a good map by mistake.
And the "best" community made map ctf_lava is barely played.

About the map:
One thing I noticed about the map is the top is a little bit airy.

You didn't make the waterfall, right?

Very natural looking and detail is awesome, though.

Wow this map is amazing.. Simply amazing. It should become an official map!
It's now used on my server.

Trust dies but mistrust blossoms. Sophocles
Landil was here, and wrote the above ^^
HOLY FUCK! Can't believe I met Landil tongue

25 (edited by Theolol 2013-02-24 14:22:52)

Alias, we made the waterfall on our own.
Just the gfx was given.
Have 2 versions, this one and another one ;-)

// Push for MWG