Topic: About the name Teeworlds

Why is Teeworlds called Teeworlds? Is "tee" a word that doesn't have any reference to a real existing word/thing? Or what do the tees (that live in the teeworld) have in common with other things that are called "tee"? I cannot see any link.
The German word "Tee" means tea. It is spoken [teː] while the Englisch "tea" is spoken [tiː].
So is it [ˈteːwɜː(ɹ)ldz] or rather [ˈtiːwɜː(ɹ)ldz] which i would prefer. Teeworlds isn't German, i just used it as an example for many ways you could pronounce it. In France they may say its ['tewɜː(ɹ)ldz]. I don't know wether they do or not, in Germany they don't pronounce it German. But which one is the right way? If "tee" is a not real existing word, it could be any way.
And which syllable to stress? [ˈtiːwɜː(ɹ)ldz] or [tiːˈwɜː(ɹ)ldz]? I assume that the first one is right.

Re: About the name Teeworlds

Well, the short story is that I've called myself Teetow for quite a while, and used the little Tee as an (unnamed) avatar for various things. When we had the idea for Teeworlds, I just drew the first thing I could think of.

"Tee" it's a golf-related thing. Have to admit there's a small balls used in the golf.
It's pronounced ['ti:wo:lts] imo

Stay wild big_smile

4 (edited by Dune 2011-04-12 20:43:41)

This is how it should be pronounced in my opinion:
Teeworlds pronounced by Dune (.wma)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I would stress the L a little bit more. The rest as you did, Dune.
And thanks to you, teetow, for this insight.

So it is the golf tee => [ˈteː]. Thank you all a lot.

I personally don't think it matter how it's pronounced. tongue
I pronounce it the way an American would say, "tea" then (ofc) "worlds" but it doesn't make it any better than how someone else would say it; just, different.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!