Topic: Working on: jungle tileset (status update)

http://www.teeworlds.com/blogimg/jungle_screenshot.png

The graphics team is currently working on the jungle tileset. We are discussing heavily the reworks of the doodads as they will be changed totally. The screenshot shows the current version of the reworked theme. As you can see the main tiles are bigger and similar to the one I drew for the ctf_lava community map. The background has changed completely - I only kept the outlines of the old background as a tribute (the very back layer). There are new  (golden and stony) jungle_unhookables drawn.

Fortunately we found a new home for the owl (orly?) as it disappeared on the winter tileset.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Re: Working on: jungle tileset (status update)

It's cool work, i like background. Good luck in job.

Hey Landil, I really like the new background trees smile

But the old background... it doesn't look as good. Perhaps it is because the trees look super big against the front, but I don't know... it just doesn't look as good.

Nnniice stuff!

wow, it looks really nice! keep up the good work

-SALAD

i do not see any cheese tongue

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

Is the background (dark and light) green (not very back (old) trees) composed of more than one quad?
Otherwise it would maybe hard to make maps with it, when there is only one big quad in the form as we see on the screenshot.

By the way, very nice job Landil. Has a very neat look wink

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

the background is tileable...

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Sushi Tee wrote:

the background is tileable...

the background bushes are tileable and you can color them in any color you want.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

9 (edited by Blue 2011-03-02 18:25:55)

I suppose it will be quite some work to make backgrounds with the jungle tileset. But it looks great, Good job!=)

What does the owl do in the jungle xD

void ..

With "tileable" you mean they are not meant to be used as quads but as tiles?

ghost91 wrote:

With "tileable" you mean they are not meant to be used as quads but as tiles?

smile you got it

@blue: yes, "it will be quite some work", but you are not limited to have a horizontal pattern anymore.

12 (edited by Blue 2011-03-02 18:35:49)

I think the plants in the background are tilesets you should use in tile layers. And they are white so you can give them a green color with the new feature of coloring layers.

Btw what happened to the swamp tiles? Still working on them or did you abandon them to finish a releaseable jungle tileset? (I think I somewhere asked this before, but I didn't see an answer.)

Edit: Someone was faster than me xD
That's right, this system gives a lot of freedom to mappers.

void ..

Blue wrote:

I think the plants in the background are tilesets you should use in tile layers. And they are white so you can give them a green color with the new feature of coloring layers.

That's right

Blue wrote:

Btw what happened to the swamp tiles? Still working on them or did you abandon them to finish a releaseable jungle tileset? (I think I somewhere asked this before, but I didn't see an answer.)

Well, there won't be a completely new tileset in 0.6, so we don't know, whether we will add them in a future release or not.

14 (edited by Dune 2011-03-02 20:09:40)

Very nice work! I love the background and how it looks with the golden unhookable tiles! : )
Keep going on, artists!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Love the background and I love how you can change the colour.

maybe its just me but the unhookables look out of place...
tongue
but thats just me. Looking forward to the official release smile

Incredible! yikes Love what you've done to it. Though a suggestion, the very first layer of background greens should have some more detail. Generally as they get farther back they have less and less detail but it starts like that with the first one.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Bee wrote:

Incredible! yikes Love what you've done to it. Though a suggestion, the very first layer of background greens should have some more detail. Generally as they get farther back they have less and less detail but it starts like that with the first one.

That might follow later as it needs more tiles and a shading concept.

Yeah, it's cool, I like it, but... seriously, the unhookable tiles (rocks)??? ... come oon this ain't Super Mario big_smile

This is the repetition of what I've said at IRC:
I believe that the unhookables look unteeish. They're way too round. Look, in the other tilesets: The main tiles are rounded too, but all curves are from rectangles with rounded edges. What do you think about this?

heinrich5991 wrote:

This is the repetition of what I've said at IRC:
I believe that the unhookables look unteeish. They're way too round. Look, in the other tilesets: The main tiles are rounded too, but all curves are from rectangles with rounded edges. What do you think about this?

None of you has seen them ingame, don't you? So you are just judging it by this screenshot? Well, I understand your concerns, but let me give you some more information ...

There are 18 different stone variations (9 big, 9 small ones), 14 of them are rectangles with rounded edges, 4 of them are edge tiles and have a slightly different design (3 rounded edges + 1 even more rounded edge; those about which you are complaining) to create a lil bit more variation. The design follows the generic unhookables + standard style. In addition the stones are clearly distinguishable(!) from the standard main tiles, which is done by purpose to enable the players to recognize immediately that these tiles are not standard tiles.

NICE.... Landil has such good ideas lol U work for CIA?????? lol

Once in a century...

I like the new look of the unhookables, it looks very nice. I think that people are complaining because they are not used to it and are shocked by the new look.

-SALAD

Now that I think about it, the unhookables have too much dimension. Like, everything else looks fairly 2D then BAM, 3D right in the middle of it. Eih... to change that I'd say take off some of the thicker black lines on the edges. It makes them look bulgy and kinda an eye sore. hmm I'm not sure if that was the plan but it looks weird to me...

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Please... wait until you've seen the whole unhookable tileset.

Alright, alright. wink