Topic: Solution against forum spam bots

Hey

i think its time to add a kinda captcha to this forum registration because more and more bots are spamming around here ..

maybe we can use recaptcha like:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1120/z75z6.png

email verification isnt a good solution for that.

What do you think?

Remember me? Questions? Just leave a message, I will respond within 72 hrs!

2 (edited by analog 2010-12-10 16:55:59)

Re: Solution against forum spam bots

The bots are human, according to some people here.

Spambots are good sometimes... it shows that our forum is popular enough to get spammed smile

3 (edited by heinrich5991 2010-12-10 19:09:44)

plz dont add a captcha ... sad

i dont like them, because they require javascript (thats why i like the teeworlds forum: it doesnt require any js, just for voting posts.) cookies, and a browser with image-support.

alias wrote:

Spambots are good sometimes... it shows that our forum is popular enough to get spammed smile

spambots are never good!

heinrich5991 wrote:

plz dont add a fucking captcha ... sad
i dont like them, they require javascript (thats why i like the teeworlds forum: it doesnt require any js, just for voting posts.) cookies, and a browser with image-support.

Clean your mouth with soap pls, some words are dirty. Besides dani suggested recaptha for registration only, not for every post. Oh and if there were a good solution, m!nus would have implemented it. Our web server has limited resources only.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

Clean your mouth with soap pls, some words are dirty.

Did it tongue

alias wrote:

I'd say only partly human.
Some spammers (real humans) register on the forum by themselves, and give the logins/passwords to their bot which can then freely post on the forum, automatically. And it doesn't have to bother about "spambot-safe" registration since it's a real human who filled the form.

spl0k, aka Al`. From the HuH clan.
Noobing pwns since 01/01/1970.
TeeViewer - TeeComp

We had reCAPTCHA and another spam registration protection for a while but it didn't help.

Yeah if the humans register from hand.

I have another idea: what about a log-in captcha? so the bots cant login on their own

Snazzy wrote:

Yeah if the humans register from hand.

I have another idea: what about a log-in captcha? so the bots cant login on their own

What about the people who choose "log in automatically" or whatever its called?
Besides, I'm used to seeing my teeworlds forum account when I go to this page, I don't want to enter a code. I agree with the registration capcha though.

USA pride. What now.

m!nus wrote:

We had reCAPTCHA and another spam registration protection for a while but it didn't help.

I think image recognition is one of the hardest operations for computer programs, while it is easy skill for human computer users. This is more protective than reCAPTCHA.

Sleeping Problems
-spam removed-
next time will result in ban.

ross56townsend wrote:
m!nus wrote:

I think image recognition is one of the hardest operations for computer programs, while it is easy skill for human computer users. This is more protective than reCAPTCHA.

Problem is: these are humans, not bots.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

13 (edited by CarmineZ 2010-12-22 12:34:21)

one partial solution is: when admin give ban to someone, automatically will be deleted all messages he have posted...

I think we should go through with this idea. Our forum was recently spammed.

USA pride. What now.

fazer! wrote:

I think we should go through with this idea. Our forum was recently spammed.

That's not new. We're still looking for a solution, and noone found one yet, it seems.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

16 (edited by AwayD 2010-12-22 17:06:31)

CarmineZ wrote:

one partial solution is: when admin give ban to someone, automatically will be deleted all messages he have posted...

i agree

its really annoying to see every topic from 2008 where no one answers anymore ending with a spam

edit: sure its not a solution against spambots itself but then they would be less annoying